Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 09-15-2020, 6:05 PM

Default Someone had to pay

Had a very bad dove season, besides one good hunt, all the rest were very frustrating.
But this Saturday a friend of mine invited me to his property for a dove hunting.
Spent all the morning staring at smoky skies and saw only one crazy dove flying 100 yards high. Around 10 AM when I already started to move out this little boy came in the open about 100 yards from the tree I was sitting under.
I almost crawled back to my car to get my rifle. When I came/crawled back he was even closer, about 70 yards. One shot behind the ear turned an unsuccessful hunt in a great success.
The only problem, I did not have anything with me to skin or even lift it.
I called my friend who happens to be closeby, he helped me to lift this boy onto the rear rack of my car, but not before he cut off his tusks.
Had to bring him home to skin and gut him since I was not prepared for a pig hunt, doves require a little different equipement, you know. So, it was my first pig since all this COVID S**t HTF

]

]

]

]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200912_162745.jpg (96.8 KB, 637 views)
File Type: jpg 20200912_162735.jpg (105.3 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4297.jpg (14.5 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4299.jpg (13.6 KB, 610 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4303.jpg (93.0 KB, 633 views)

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 09-15-2020 at 6:10 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 6:15 PM

Dang man, nice one. Holly sausage batman, you buttoned him up real nice!
Old 09-15-2020, 6:57 PM

I need better friends.
Old 09-15-2020, 7:01 PM

Who goes into the field without a knife? Although if you were fully prepared, the pig probably wouldn’t have shown up.
Old 09-15-2020, 7:38 PM

What did you shoot that hog with?
Old 09-15-2020, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I only get stuff when I don’t have a cooler.
Old 09-15-2020, 7:41 PM

Nice!
Old 09-15-2020, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
I need better friends.
I invite many people to hunt ducks out of my boat, some of them reciprocate
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClAddict View Post
Who goes into the field without a knife? Although if you were fully prepared, the pig probably wouldn’t have shown up.
I had a knife, always have a skinner in the glove compartment and one in the backpack, but for such pig you usually need some more equipment, I did not have a gambrel, bags, rope or anything else. The good thing on the way there I had to get rid of some garbage, hence had rack at the back of my car.
I sometimes get lucky even when I'm fully prepared,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishnHunt View Post
What did you shoot that hog with?
Savage Axis 223, 55Gr DRT ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
I only get stuff when I don’t have a cooler.
This boy would not agree to fit into a cooler. I deboned shoulders and hams only and came with a little more than 80LB of meat, it is not counting all the ribs, spine, neck, shakes and all.
Was easier to drive it home, only 40 minutes. the most difficult was to load it, even on a low rack two of us struggled to get him on

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 09-15-2020 at 7:56 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 8:25 PM

Awesome !!! Good work ! Tell us more about the salami!
Old 09-15-2020, 8:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhuntor View Post
Savage Axis 223, 55Gr DRT ammo.
You ever shoot them in the chest with that load? I've always wondered about it, shoots well in my rifle, never used it on game.
Old 09-16-2020, 5:29 AM

Good for you, being opportunistic is the only way to hunt.
Old 09-16-2020, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

MMmmmmm... wild baaaaaacon...
Old 09-16-2020, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteassasin View Post
Awesome !!! Good work ! Tell us more about the salami!
It is actually summer sausages, 30 LB of them, also 25 LB of Italian and 25 LB of hamburger(not in the picture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
You ever shoot them in the chest with that load? I've always wondered about it, shoots well in my rifle, never used it on game.
I usually make headshots, but one time I made a lung-shot, It was almost DRT, maybe 5 yards walk. On the opening, there was only a bloody mess instead of lungs, heart, and all. Works exceptionally well and accurate enough to the boot. I use them for more than 5 years, maybe more. Kills everything from jackrabbit to bear.

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 09-16-2020 at 1:35 PM..
Old 09-16-2020, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
It is actually summer sausages, 30 LB of them, also 25 LB of Italian and 25 LB of hamburger(not in the picture).

NO BACON?!?!
Old 09-16-2020, 3:45 PM

Good job, Sir!
Old 09-16-2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:

I usually make headshots, but one time I made a lung-shot, It was almost DRT, maybe 5 yards walk. On the opening, there was only a bloody mess instead of lungs, heart, and all. Works exceptionally well and accurate enough to the boot. I use them for more than 5 years, maybe more. Kills everything from jackrabbit to bear.

Wow good work ! I’ve been making fresh sauce sage for about 10 years and I’m looking to get in to dry salami and other aged charcuterie. I made goose prosciutto last year from hank Shaw’s recipie and I can wait for my bear thuu i s year cause I want to try a sopresata

And also nice job with the 223 I killed everything I aimed at with mind as a kid it’s always funny hearing flatlanders saying you need at least a 270 to kill big game
Old 09-16-2020, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
NO BACON?!?! *
Wild bore does not have thick enough belly for bacon, besides, male wild bor's bally stinks unbearably. Goes directly to the trash

Quote:
Wow good work ! I’ve been making fresh sauce sage for about 10 years and I’m looking to get in to dry salami and other aged charcuterie. I made goose prosciutto last year from hank Shaw’s recipie and I can wait for my bear thuu i s year cause I want to try a sopresata
I made and tried many things. In years it boiled down to four-five things: Summer sausages, Hamburger, Italians, then i vacuum seal ribs, backstraps, shakes, heard and tongue. The bones i boil, take out the meat and broth, and freeze them for future use.
Ones I tried to make headcheese. Too much trouble and you cannot keep it long enough

Quote:
And also a nice job with the 223 I killed everything I aimed at with mind as a kid it’s always funny hearing flatlanders saying you need at least a 270 to kill big game
People do not understand, you can kill any creature with a needle.
many moons ago i had a depredation permit on a number of properties infested with pigs. On one property the owner's wife had some mental issues and did not allow any kind of shooting, so we had to trap. Then we were dispatching them with 22LR Colibri to keep the noise down.
Never needed anything else on anything up to 450 LB boars. *Just shoot it in the ear. I do nor advocate hunting with it, mentioned it just for the demonstration purposes.

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 09-16-2020 at 5:03 PM..
Old 09-16-2020, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

That's good to hear, I'm thinking about shooting an antelope with a .223 this year for no other reason than I've not shot any game with this rifle and I've been thinking about what load I might use. I'm not a big fan of headshots, so I was interested in what a lung shot would do. It's another data point, thanks.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 09-16-2020 at 7:59 PM..
Old 09-16-2020, 9:49 PM

Quote:
That's good to hear, I'm thinking about shooting an antelope with a .223 this year for no other reason than I've not shot any game with this rifle and I've been thinking about what load I might use. I'm not a big fan of headshots, so I was interested in what a lung shot would do. It's another data point, thanks.
Make sure you shoot in the front/shoulder area. If you make a gutshot, this mess instead of blood going to be a s**t mess. I even don't want to think what it will do if gutshot an animal with this round. *

BTW. I shot a bear in the neck-head base with this ammo. 50-60 yard shot. The head was left hanging only on the skin. At least 4"-5" portion of the neck was gone, only a "mixture" of blood/bones/flesh. No exit hole. It is like an explosion inside.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
The .223 will work on goats just get as close as you can and break it's neck, I saw a friend gut shoot a goat and what a circus that was. Chased that dam thing all over hell and gone before it finally laid down and he got up close enough to hit it again........in the neck. Boom, whop dead broke neck.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
The .223 will work on goats just get as close as you can and break it's neck, I saw a friend gut shoot a goat and what a circus that was. Chased that dam thing all over hell and gone before it finally laid down and he got up close enough to hit it again........in the neck. Boom, whop dead broke neck.
I have no doubt a .223 to the ribs will kill an antelope (a buddy of mine, rancher in WY, that's all he ever used on mule deer to varmints). I was just interested in this particular bullet's performance (the DRT bullet). The advertisements for it seem like a lot of 'too good to be true' for what is effectively a frangible bullet. That the bullet is CA approved is nice. I did find it to be an accurate bullet/load the last time I shot some commercial DRT ammo.

Interesting point, the bullet has been California approved for a very long time but was originally listed as only allowed for varmints and non-game. Now CA doesn't distinguish between it and any other big game bullet. I think this happened around 2010 or so. Construction wise it actually seems very similar to the Barnes MPG, both bullets being powdered non-lead metal cores in gilding metal jackets.

Chances are I'll take my 7mm-08 anyway just because I like it, but it's also nice to change it up every once in a while; that 7mm-08 has stacked up a lot of goats already.

Boarhuntor, you ever try making a dry/salt cured country ham?
Old 09-17-2020, 12:39 PM

Wow BOARHUNTOR you are my hero!

Can I be your friend? LOL

Or actually can I be your friend's friend?

I kid I kid. Thanks for the awesome share! You are one lucky SOB! But then again, you made your own luck, by being well prepared!!
Old 09-17-2020, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did a time or two, and one time out of deer ham.
I think the wild boar is no fit for this. While the taste was ok, it was too tough hence did not stick in our family's recipe book.
The tastiest of all was head cheese, I even have 2 presses, but again, the problem was, I could not keep it long enough to justify all the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
Or actually can I be your friend's friend?
Sure you can, he asks what can he get in exchange for his "piggy" friendship.
I invite him to my boat duck hunting, I help him to fix his ATV.
What do you have on table for him?

Just kid you, I know it was a joke.

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 09-17-2020 at 1:50 PM..
Old 09-17-2020, 1:48 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt a .223 to the ribs will kill an antelope (a buddy of mine, rancher in WY, that's all he ever used on mule deer to varmints). I was just interested in this particular bullet's performance (the DRT bullet). The advertisements for it seem like a lot of 'too good to be true' for what is effectively a frangible bullet. That the bullet is CA approved is nice. I did find it to be an accurate bullet/load the last time I shot some commercial DRT ammo.

Interesting point, the bullet has been California approved for a very long time but was originally listed as only allowed for varmints and non-game. Now CA doesn't distinguish between it and any other big game bullet. I think this happened around 2010 or so. Construction wise it actually seems very similar to the Barnes MPG, both bullets being powdered non-lead metal cores in gilding metal jackets.

Chances are I'll take my 7mm-08 anyway just because I like it, but it's also nice to change it up every once in a while; that 7mm-08 has stacked up a lot of goats already.

If I were to take up hunting big game with the .223 Rem I would choose the 50 gr Barns TTSX for it and push it as hard as I could. One of my cousins uses a Ruger Mini 14 .223 and wacks hogs all the time with it, never lost one .Another friend up Montana shoots his elk and deer every year with his .223, neck shoots them. Bang whop flop dead broken neck. I don't particularly like it and don't encourage it but it does work if you are careful and place your shot right, but it's not for me I want a little bit more bang. I do like to neck shoot, takes the wheels out from underneath them.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, I did a time or two, and one time out of deer ham.
I think the wild boar is no fit for this.
I'll keep that in mind, I've never hammed a boar. Too bad, it sounded like a good idea.

Deer on the other hand, I've wet cured deer ham and it's fantastic. I've also made Canadian bacon out of a portion of the backstrap, I think that's also great. I've done corned 'beef' with the big flat steak off the hind end before which was also delicious.

My wife gets weirded out when I start talking about dry curing stuff in our garage. Thankfully she just forgets about my hanging ducks in there for a few days...
Old 09-18-2020, 4:52 AM

We do hams from a nice sow, once in a while, but not a big boar. If I can't resist shooting a big boar, it becomes sausage or dog food supplement at my house.
Old 09-18-2020, 8:01 AM

Great work!! Is that summer sausage>?

*Edit: just read the whole chain...glad you made summer sausage. I've wanted to make some with the elk I shot in OR, last month. want to trade?

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!

Last edited by Chiro22; 09-18-2020 at 8:38 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind, I've never hammed a boar. Too bad, it sounded like a good idea.

Deer on the other hand, I've wet cured deer ham and it's fantastic. I've also made Canadian bacon out of a portion of the backstrap, I think that's also great. I've done corned 'beef' with the big flat steak off the hind end before which was also delicious.

My wife gets weirded out when I start talking about dry curing stuff in our garage. Thankfully she just forgets about my hanging ducks in there for a few days...
I guess I'm not as sophisticated/experienced/dedicated as you are.
In my case, I cannot tell that it is not tasty, I liked the taste, but I was not able to make it as tender as a store-bought pig.
Maybe i haven't put enough effort into it, maybe did not have the right recipe, maybe both or something else.
Next time I can give you a hind leg, you try it. I'm sure you are a better cook then i'm.
Maybe the jamon, the original Spaniard recipe would work, but I don't know if it is possible to make it in America.
I met a Russian guy who lives in Barcelona. He cures his own jamon in his basement in an old refrigerator converted for this purposes. he says it come out well enough. I never tried it. But again, he uses a store bough pork.

I also do not age ducks. Tried and did not see any difference. I just breast them out except wigeon and teal.

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 09-18-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Old 09-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I guess I'm not as sophisticated/experienced/dedicated as you are.
In my case, I cannot tell that it is not tasty, I liked the taste, but I was not able to make it as tender as a store-bought pig.
I'm sure we're both fine cooks, but I misread your original comment on the ham not being tender as not being tasty. I'm glad to hear it taste good!

I am interested in making an Iberico style ham, and a US country ham style ham (both are similar to each other) but have not tried yet. I've only ever done wet cures and hot smokes with deer legs; but they came out great. I don't remember them being particularly tough, but I wouldn't say they are tender. The Canadian bacon however is usually quite tender, but I think that's because I make it with some backstrap.
Old 09-18-2020, 1:58 PM

They were tougher than the store-bought, so my 3 girls were not extremely happy, but myself, I can eat only so much, hence abandoned the idea. The Canadian bacon out of backstraps is a good idea. Did you make it out of wild meat?
I have a great recipe for Kazakh sausage. It called for horse meat and fat, but I think you can substitute it with dear meat and beef fat. This is one I love the most out of any kind of sausages. The problem - I never have both at the same time.

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 09-18-2020 at 2:00 PM..
Old 09-18-2020, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Canadian bacon out of backstraps is a good idea. Did you make it out of wild meat?
I generally only have wild meat (both my wife and I hunt and we generally take enough animals per year that there's no need to buy anything other than bacon). I've made it a few times out of both deer and antelope. Backstraps tend to be pretty mild flavored anyway so I don't remember there being much of a difference between the finished products, they were however both quite different from Canadian bacon made from pork loin. Much darker, more flavorful, and a different texture (though the texture might just be how I make it vs. a commercial shop).

Quote:
I have a great recipe for Kazakh sausage. It called for horse meat and fat, but I think you can substitute it with dear meat and beef fat. This is one I love the most out of any kind of sausages. The problem - I never have both at the same time.
Who doesn't love a good sausage right?
Old 09-18-2020, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome, thank you for sharing
Old 09-20-2020, 9:03 PM

Napalm, I'll let you have some wild pig (If you want) if I get some before I live for a better state.
Old 09-21-2020, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Napalm, I'll let you have some wild pig (If you want) if I get some before I live for a better state.
Sure I'd give it a shot, I'll PM with details.

It just so happens I bought a new brining bucket just last week, lol.