Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-16-2020, 2:34 AM

Default What application would call for a luminescent front sight?

I have a Springfield Hellcat and an H&KP2000sk, both of which have the luminescent front sight with tritium insert. The tritium I understand, as that emits light on its own. However the luminescent portion must be charged. Is this helpful when you are walking in the desert with your pistol, out of its holster, and then you fall into a dark pit and have to fight your way out? I see the benefit of the bright yellow ring during the day, but why have it luminescent? To be honest I like that its luminescent, it just looks cool. But I’m curious, what am I missing? How would this ever be used practically? The charge would dissipate alongside a sun setting. If kept in a safe or holster the gun won’t be charging, and if the gun is charging, that means you are exposed to light. Thus one would not need any glowing front sight. I guess someone could use a super bright flashlight to charge it, but when would a person have a couple minutes to hide and charge it, then go fight for 5 mins?

Last edited by Mr. Blue; 09-16-2020 at 2:36 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 2:58 AM
Veteran Member

I have wondered the exact same thing maybe someone will come with a Tacticool answer to this question.

I have heard night sights are best during “low light” situations not complete darkness and obviously not broad daylight.

That is the best answer I have ever heard so far.
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
United States District Judge
March 29, 2019
Old 09-16-2020, 3:10 AM

Extra money burning a hole in your pocket meets good marketing to solve the hole in your pocket problem.
OR
If you are shooting during the day but aiming into the shadows.
Old 09-16-2020, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
Is this helpful when you are walking at anin the desert with your pistol, out of its holster, and then you fall into a dark pit and have to fight your way out?
Been there, done that.

LOL Not really. Nice example though.
Old 09-16-2020, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Extra money burning a hole in your pocket meets good marketing to solve the hole in your pocket problem.

This.

Just stick to Tritium all the way around.
Old 09-16-2020, 3:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
I have a Springfield Hellcat and an H&KP2000sk, both of which have the luminescent front sight with tritium insert. The tritium I understand, as that emits light on its own. However the luminescent portion must be charged. Is this helpful when you are walking in the desert with your pistol, out of its holster, and then you fall into a dark pit and have to fight your way out? I see the benefit of the bright yellow ring during the day, but why have it luminescent? To be honest I like that its luminescent, it just looks cool. But I’m curious, what am I missing? How would this ever be used practically? The charge would dissipate alongside a sun setting. If kept in a safe or holster the gun won’t be charging, and if the gun is charging, that means you are exposed to light. Thus one would not need any glowing front sight. I guess someone could use a super bright flashlight to charge it, but when would a person have a couple minutes to hide and charge it, then go fight for 5 mins?
Simple answer is that if you can't see the front sight you can't use it. Rear sight becomes less important at night IMO.

"night sights" have little to do with night shooting. This is why we carry a light or weapon mounted light. Be sure of your target and what's beyond. Night sights won't help you do that. They do look cool though.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-19-2020, 10:58 PM

It's probably for "door kickers" who work in places were tritium may not be allowed. They charge their sights with a flashlight whilst riding in their polizei swat vans.
Old 09-20-2020, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround1 View Post
It's probably for "door kickers" who work in places were tritium may not be allowed. They charge their sights with a flashlight whilst riding in their polizei swat vans.
This.

And it’s effective. Mine will stay really bright for more than enough time to get the job done.

Even if tritium is allowed, the bright orange is much easier to pick up than the green glow and easier to distinguish between the front and rear sights.

Not that I’m a door kicker.

Last edited by Brush Guard; 09-20-2020 at 7:21 AM..
Old 09-21-2020, 5:02 AM

Heck, there are times where an illuminated front sight is actually easier to see during the daytime especially if it's glowing a different color than the environment that's down barrel.
Old 09-21-2020, 5:55 AM

For shooters who don't know how to point worth a damn.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

I don't see the point of luminescent sights as they need charging. But tritium sights are great IMHO. They make it quicker to get on target, especially for an older guy. No, they aren't the "cure-all", but they're damn good.

I run yellow Trijicon night sights on my HD guns.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

Last edited by sonofeugene; 09-21-2020 at 11:23 AM..