Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:12 AM

Default You Have a Pistol, Rifle, and Pack... What Other 10 Essential Items For...

Society has broken down and the cities, suburbs, and other developed areas are no longer safe.

Let's assume you have a pistol and rifle (or shotgun) of your choice and as little or as much ammunition as you'd like. You also have a pack to carry all your gear.

What other 10 items would you deem essential to have with you for a long-term (greater than 6 months) bug out to the hills?

Be specific.
Old 09-08-2020, 1:45 AM

Solar Powered Radio, Water Filter, First Aid Kit, a Can Opener, a First Aid like book, a poncho, water proof matches, a shovel, a knife, and finally a good mosquito repepllent that will last me a while.
Old 09-08-2020, 2:23 AM

Good socks, worn-in boots, first aid kit, alcohol, radio, purification tablets, tarp, knife, canteen w spork, waterproof matches, can opener, and good removable jacket w shell. Bonus duct tape, compass, shovel.
Old 09-08-2020, 8:59 AM

From https://runningwithsheep.com/2018/09...s-of-survival/ and Dave Canterebury's 10C's

Cutting tool, such as a knife.
Combustion device, to make fire with.
Cover, for warmth and protection from the elements.
Container, to store and boil water.
Cordage, for building a shelter, wrapping, fixing and everything else
Candle, provides light and the paraffin makes a great fire starter.
Canvas Needle, for all sorts of repairs.
Cargo Tape, useful for repairs and blisters.
Compass, for navigation.
Cotton, like a large handkerchief or another medium sized cloth

Why 10 and not 20 or 30? And there is a lot of debate on someone living off the land with only what you can carry on your back and given everyone else will be heading to the woods, where there are already people there now.
Old 09-08-2020, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Not to be "that guy" but the entire concept of "bugging out" really, REALLY needs to be thrown out the window.

UNLESS you have a known, secured, fully stocked & accessible bug out location.

Here are a couple eye-opening pieces, give some great food for thought:

https://www.reddit.com/r/preppers/co...hold_the_same/

https://masondixontactical.wordpress...ns-the-bugout/
Old 09-08-2020, 9:23 AM

With enough ammo. You can get what ever you need.
Old 09-08-2020, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

I didnt know I was a slave until I found out I couldnt do the things I wanted.
Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-08-2020, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

only 10 items, and I have to go on foot?

guns and ammo are magically included. Cool, call it a 16" 300BLK w/EXPS-3 and PEQ-15 wearing a Surefire SOCOM SPS and subsonic ammo.

Can I assume I'm clothed as I see fit?

Also, what about the beach? Can I live on the beach, or is that against the rules of this scenario? That would be my first choice. I'll hike down to Baja if I can't stay in San Diego. No heading inland if I can avoid it, that place sucks!

1) solar water distiller
2) ESEE 6
3) solar charger for phone, lighter, EXPS-3, PEQ-15 and NVG
4) android phone running LineageOS so I can use the hacked radio, has offline maps, books on emergency medicine, dentistry, edible plant identification, offline comms apps, CivTAK, music, etc, etc and is in an Otter box or similar
5) IFAK
6) NVG not leaving those behind
7) fishing net
8) snorkel gear -- if that's cheating, just a mask is fine
9) can I have our boat? If so, our boat, if not, rechargeable electric lighter
10) #10 can of peanut butter...gotta keep the calories up while I'm getting set up.

Last edited by speedrrracer; 09-08-2020 at 9:49 AM..
Old 09-08-2020, 9:49 AM

Water proof hiking boots, complete first aid kit, radio, purification tablets, tarp, tactical axe, Rambo knife, Spork, waterproof matches, duct tape, compass and ropes

"Everybody has a plan, until they got punch in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Old 09-08-2020, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

antibiotics.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURLEYGO3 View Post

That is one theory, but 6 months
Old 09-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Before you can really make those choices, you need
- a place to go
- a route to get there
- a current assessment of the travel conditions between 'here' and 'there'

I'm with the 'if you think you will need to bug out, go now' crowd.
Old 09-08-2020, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Lighters, in water-proof reused medication bottles, NOT MATCHES...
Old 09-08-2020, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

As you load up (because YOU have no choice), your going to find, the weight a little much, to way too much. Get some wheels.... if have to fight wearing 50-70lb pack, holding 2 long guns, & HG...

Just sayin. Your going to burn out, before you get out.. If you can.
Old 09-08-2020, 3:37 PM
Veteran Member

Baby wipes, Tabasco, and LOTS of pogey bait.
Old 09-08-2020, 6:26 PM

Why "only" 10 items?

Well... There's always the 10 C's as noted in Post #4 by TheChief. I don't watch much of his stuff; but, my sense was that it had to do with 'emergency survival.'

Like him or not, disrespect him or not, Canterbury has a significant following and he, as well as his 'instructors,' do offer woodcraft/bushcraft/survival instruction to many around the world. So, there's that. Then...

There's also the History Channel's series Alone, yet another program I don't really watch. But, participants are allowed to choose 10 items to survive with for either an indefinite period or "100 days" or whatever the premise is this season.

Too many think they're going to haul a 100+ lb. pack, loaded with "all" the essentials; plus weapon(s), ammo, and food. In large part, that fallacy has to do with those people never having tried it. It's also indicative of individuals who've never had to do with just the basics and it's interesting to see what they think "the basics" are.

If you're a Christian, 2000 years ago, minimalist thinking was suggested in Matthew 24:16-18...

Quote:
16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:

18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
What this thread was not intended for was a discussion on whether bugging out or bugging in was the 'better' choice. (Deciding when to do either is going to be, as Librarian suggests, dependent on a number of things; including where you are when the circumstances dictate... On the roof, in the field, at work, where you live, etc.) Frankly, far too many overestimate their ability to defend wood and stucco constructed houses and/or overestimate their abilities and the resources available for living off the land. Likewise, having a 'bunker' someplace to bug out to is limited to a very few individuals; whether that's a true bunker or the homes of friends/relatives where the cities, suburbs, and other developed areas are no longer safe.

It also wasn't intended as a forum to debate whether, in today's reality, 'living off the land' was even possible. Clearly, you can't survive 6 months solely on what you can carry by way of food. (Which is one of the reasons I chose the time frame.) While there are likely to be others, maybe too many, attempting to do the same thing, one of the reasons I said the cities, suburbs, and other developed areas are no longer safe is that far too many think in terms of simply raiding existing food stocks; despite well knowing that grocery stores reputedly only have a limited 'supply' (3 days?) and that many, many more people will be roaming the streets, looking for food, than will be wandering the wilderness attempting to live off the land. (Which is just one reason why such areas would be considered no longer safe.)

I'm also well aware that there is a thought process that having enough ammunition allows (entitles?) an individual to pursue "the law of the jungle" where the 'fittest' (best equipped?) makes the rules and survives. In other words, in a societal breakdown, you'll just 'take' what you need from whomever. The limitation of such thinking is that there is always someone out there who is better equipped, meaner, faster, stronger, and/or luckier. Of course, if you're the one on the losing end of such an encounter, you're probably not going to have to worry about surviving.

With that said, guns/ammo weren't 'magically' included. This is a firearms forum. Therefore, it's a pretty safe bet that most members are going to have some sort of firearm available at all times. The reason I stipulated both an handgun and a long gun was to avoid the rabbit hole of: "If you could only have one gun..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer
Also, what about the beach? Can I live on the beach, or is that against the rules of this scenario? That would be my first choice. I'll hike down to Baja if I can't stay in San Diego. No heading inland if I can avoid it, that place sucks!
Yes. "Head for the hills" is an idiom for "fleeing quickly or hastily" and since I indicated that the cities, suburbs, and other developed areas are no longer safe, the assumption should be a more 'rural' or 'isolated' area you are headed for. That could, literally, be the hills or mountains. It could also be the slot canyons or the beach or swamps or... other, undeveloped areas which provide a buffer zone from the masses.

In short, this thread was intended to be an exercise in minimalist thinking.

Put another way, stop trying to 'overthink' it. Otherwise, it requires a 'wall of text' to explain; meaning that too many would then launch into a TL;DR critique rather than participating. Now, what fun would that be?
Old 09-08-2020, 6:45 PM

Default Or

My position affords me the wonder of having a couple of boats, and Ive lived on both in recent years. I keep the first for the express purpose of bugging out. Cant imagine now that Im able to own a home that Id risk my life to a fiberglass hull that can hit 10 knots in perfect conditions. Still its an affordable last resort. And the Delta is full of empty islands that create opportunity for bugging out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Not to be "that guy" but the entire concept of "bugging out" really, REALLY needs to be thrown out the window.

UNLESS you have a known, secured, fully stocked & accessible bug out location.

Here are a couple eye-opening pieces, give some great food for thought:

https://www.reddit.com/r/preppers/co...hold_the_same/

https://masondixontactical.wordpress...ns-the-bugout/
Old 09-08-2020, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Already bugged out so now digging in and stockpiling.

Nurturing fruit and nut trees.
Old 09-08-2020, 9:21 PM

The concept of 10 essentials is a subject that has been settled for decades.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...ssentials.html
Old 09-08-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTarget View Post
The concept of 10 essentials is a subject that has been settled for decades.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...ssentials.html
Has it? From your article...
  • Navigation: map, compass, altimeter, GPS device, personal locator beacon (PLB) or satellite messenger
  • Headlamp: plus extra batteries
  • Sun protection: sunglasses, sun-protective clothes and sunscreen
  • First aid: including foot care and insect repellent (as needed)
  • Knife: plus a gear repair kit
  • Fire: matches, lighter, tinder and/or stove
  • Shelter: carried at all times (can be a light emergency bivy)
  • Extra food: Beyond the minimum expectation
  • Extra water: Beyond the minimum expectation
  • Extra clothes: Beyond the minimum expectation
Navigation is important - IF - you have a specific destination in mind; which is what some others have alluded to in their posts. Otherwise, aren't general directions good enough? A "personal locator beacon" or "satellite messenger" is important - IF - you are looking to be found or 'rescued.' If "society has broken down," who are you reaching out to?

The headlamp is good; i.e., a 'candling device' according to Canterbury's 10 C's. Are you going to be able to carry enough batteries for 6 months? If not, how do you plan to recharge them? Might you be better off with candles? Could you save space/weight by learning how to improvise something similar out of fat, fat wood, etc.?

Can you sustain things like sunscreen, insect repellent, and first aid supplies for six months "in the hills?"

A knife and a gear repair kit are listed as a single item; but, are they really the same thing?

Extra food and water? For six months? Can you carry that much? Or... Is that going to be more reliant on your foraging abilities and/or reaching a destination with such resources in situ? Additionally, I don't see anything related to items for preparing food, carrying food/water, or treating water.

In other words, the article intended to 'settle' the issue simply raises questions in need of answering as related to the scenario presented. That's what Canterbury's 10 C's and the 10 item gear selection for participants on Alone are attempting to address. It's why I asked the question in the OP; i.e., "What would you consider essential in addressing survival for a period greater than 6 months if the cities, suburbs, and other developed areas were no longer safe?" As your article notes...

"The exact items from each system that you take can be tailored to the trip you’re taking."

So... How would you 'tailor' that list to the scenario presented and keep it to 10 items?

Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 09-08-2020 at 10:49 PM..
Old 09-09-2020, 6:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
My position affords me the wonder of having a couple of boats, and Ive lived on both in recent years. I keep the first for the express purpose of bugging out. Cant imagine now that Im able to own a home that Id risk my life to a fiberglass hull that can hit 10 knots in perfect conditions. Still its an affordable last resort. And the Delta is full of empty islands that create opportunity for bugging out.
Yeah; you've got it made! That's awesome!

Let me know if you have extra space you need to fill up with some like-minded people if the wheels come totally off the bus!
Old 09-09-2020, 9:07 PM
CoconutOfDissonance

Location: Where the homeless roam and the crackheads and junkies run free.

Quote:
Have you ever tried to stay awake for 30 day?

I know some guys who tried, they went nuts.... Well decorated but nuts.
Old 09-10-2020, 3:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would add a handheld GPS and one of those fire starting flints. everybody else up there seems to have everything covered.
Old 09-11-2020, 2:13 AM
Calguns Addict

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PCfFhpXEPpQ
Old 09-11-2020, 7:37 AM

I dunno, guess I'd start w/ the "10 Essentials" of Boy Scouts...

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/20...tra%20clothing.
Old 09-11-2020, 9:20 AM

Quote:
And that mentality is what's wrong with society.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
You Have a Pistol, Rifle, and Pack... What Other 10 Essential Items For...

7 rolls of toilet paper.
Old 09-12-2020, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
7 rolls of toilet paper.
Now... THAT would be a start... Assuming the thought process is a "six month" supply with a buffer.

If nothing else, it could provide a good indicator as to diet; i.e., 'wild greens' can be a little... uh... "hard" on the system and the toilet paper supply would provide a 'red flag' that, perhaps, the need for more protein is apparent.

Barter material? I don't think so. More like something which could influence your choice of firearm(s) as the toilet paper supply might just be worth defending.

But... To each their own.
Old 09-13-2020, 7:32 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
Society has broken down and the cities, suburbs, and other developed areas are no longer safe.

Let's assume you have a pistol and rifle (or shotgun) of your choice and as little or as much ammunition as you'd like. You also have a pack to carry all your gear.

What other 10 items would you deem essential to have with you for a long-term (greater than 6 months) bug out to the hills?

Be specific.
You are talking about an INCH bag (I'm Not Coming Home).

You cannot carry enough stuff for 6 months. I will tell you what I keep in my BO bag , which is only designed to stay out there until I can find a safe community. My BO is 35lbs not counting extra shoes, food, water, ammunition, firearm, axe, sleeping pad, or winter sleeping bag.

Pick your ten items;

5.25" Bark River belt knife
8.5-10" Bark River or Busse knife for wood processing
Silky Big Boy saw with spare blade
10X10 Sil tarp
large space blanket
quality poncho
Swagman roll, or poncho liner
shemagh
dump pouch (Expedient mag or ammo holder. Foraging collector, etc.)
10 L dry bag, (Keep things dry. Use to wash cloths. Flotation. Water collection.)
10 aluminum stakes
100 ft. 7 strand paracord
100 ft. spool of bank line
Ferro rods with strikers
Bic lighters
Fire starter, cotton balls soaked in Vaseline, lamp oil soaked cotton pads, and wax soaked saw dust pucks (all home made)
Breathable emergency sleeping bag (SOL escape bivy)
5x7 thick reflective tarp
collapsible twig stove
32oz stainless water bottle
750ml pot
spices
cooking oil
large stainless cup, light fork and spoon
6ft. medium brass wire
1" wide roll Gorilla tape
leatherman wave
4" stainless Mora
Knife sharpener
Shoe Goo shoe repair glue
Extra wool socks
SUUNTO MC-2 compass
Sawyer Squeeze water filter
3 - 1.5 liter roll up water containers for Sawyer
Water purification tabs
electrolyte supplements
4'X18" Reynolds HD aluminum foil.
folding wind screen for twig stove
First Aide kit custom boo-boo kit, pain killers, anti-diarrhea, Deet, butterfly bandages, gauze, allergy meds, etc. with CAT Combat Application Tourniquet, Israeli bandages, clotting bandages, tape, chest wound dressing, etc. Medical scissors
Coffee/Tea/caffeine gum
Extra 1 gallon freezer bags
write in the rain pad, sharpie
tooth brush/paste
soap
alcohol
shooting glasses
sunglasses
wool beanie
gloves (leather)
whistle
maps
fishing kit
sail needles
thread/waxed sewing thread
hat
head lamp (rechargeable)
flash light (rechargeable weapon light)
28W folding solar charger
small survival manual
gun/mechanical oil
3 day life boat style emergency food.
damp wipes anti-bacterial
Wysi Wipes dry compressed wipes (takes a small amount of water to expand)

------nice to have

folding rifle and ammo (Keltec Sub2000 Gen 2) or less lethal .22 pack rifle.
shovel
nails
3/4 - 1" Auger
carving tools
forest axe
pan and plate
extra cloths
alcohol stove

Biden is breathtakingly inept, empty, and unable to function in any capacity. His frequent blank stares tell the story; Biden will be destroyed by one well placed question on TV

Last edited by ScottsBad; 09-13-2020 at 9:10 AM..
Old 09-13-2020, 8:03 AM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
My position affords me the wonder of having a couple of boats, and I’ve lived on both in recent years. I keep the first for the express purpose of bugging out. Can’t imagine now that I’m able to own a home that I’d risk my life to a fiberglass hull that can hit 10 knots in perfect conditions. Still it’s an affordable last resort. And the Delta is full of empty islands that create opportunity for bugging out.
I have spent a lot of time on the Delta over the years. I've thought a lot about using the Delta for escape and bug out. It's probably a bad idea. I've had boats out there since the middle nineties.

- You aren't the only one who has thought about the Delta and its islands, 10's of thousands of people spend time out there.

- The Delta is narrow, and its far too easy to get around the perimeter of the water by vehicle.

- Anyone could swim or take a Walmart swimming pool float out to you in the middle of the night even if you are anchored. And boats are a huge target from the shoreline. Especially, when moving from one location to another. Boats are often noisy and don't move that fast, your wake will be seen as it travels down the river too.

- Boats are among the first things that will be stolen. A lot of people will think "boat" when the roads become impassable.

- If you need fuel, you'll have to go to a marina. Boats are extremely inefficient with fuel. Even if you have a sail boat, you'll have to use a motor to get around in narrow channels.

- Yeah, there are little islands, but it would be difficult to hide yourself from view of people/vehicles on the levees for long. And then it would be virtually impossible to defend against attack. Thinking hard about it, there are some places where you could hide from view if your boat isn't too tall, or you took a small aluminum boat to an island and didn't make smoke, light or noise at night.

- If you are going to hide in the Delta; Get yourself some camo netting and don't use a big boat. Don't use a generator, solar only.

- The Delta is just too close to "civilization". A lot of people will be trying to hide out there and fishing to survive.

Biden is breathtakingly inept, empty, and unable to function in any capacity. His frequent blank stares tell the story; Biden will be destroyed by one well placed question on TV

Last edited by ScottsBad; 09-13-2020 at 9:07 AM..
Old 09-13-2020, 9:31 AM

Back ups of clothes and shoes for everyone. Meds and nutritional supplements. Fuels and energy sources. Building materials and tools. Vehicle maintenance supplies and tools. Tarps and other privacy covers. Drones for surveillance. A plan for fortifications and nature inspired detours to keep people moving away from your locations. Off site security caches. Education on how to accumulate natural resources as well as harnessing and storing electrical power.
Old 09-13-2020, 6:59 PM

I need the keys to my truck and a cell phone to gather my family. We have everything we need.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:43 PM
Progressives Suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVlongstroke View Post
Back ups of clothes and shoes for everyone. Meds and nutritional supplements. Fuels and energy sources. Building materials and tools. Vehicle maintenance supplies and tools. Tarps and other privacy covers. Drones for surveillance. A plan for fortifications and nature inspired detours to keep people moving away from your locations. Off site security caches. Education on how to accumulate natural resources as well as harnessing and storing electrical power.
LOL I was reading along and I thought I read, "A plan for fornication...." And I briefly thought, I'd better bring my wife along.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:44 AM

Throw in the current wildfires throughout the state and you need to start re-assessing your plans.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:47 AM

Really good stuff here.
I would include eReader with as much of "advanced buschcraft" type of material in it as you can find.
And some favorite ebooks too.

Last edited by Vytis; 09-16-2020 at 11:52 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
Really good stuff here.
I would include eReader with as much of "advanced buschcraft" type of material in it as you can find.
And some favorite ebooks too.
How are you going to keep it charged for 6 months while hiding out in the hills? Plan on using a really really long USB cable that is still plugged into a working grid?

I suggest you begin reading now before something goes wrong.
Old 09-16-2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
How are you going to keep it charged for 6 months while hiding out in the hills? Plan on using a really really long USB cable that is still plugged into a working grid?

I suggest you begin reading now before something goes wrong.
Pardon my noobness, dear sir

While your idea of using extra long USB cable is indeed brilliant, I actually decided to use short USB cable along with this wonderful new high-tech invention called "solar charger", as suggested in a few posts above.
Old 09-16-2020, 4:18 PM

Yeah, heard of those, a business unit I ran made power inverters. Solar is really useful for when the skies are obscured by smoke, or when your state is under water from hurricanes & rain - but how likely is that to happen?

The real issue is that if you don't have the skills now, on-the-job training by reading is too late.