Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

View Poll Results: Which is better able to kill small game, .177 or .22?
.177 @1000fps 4 11.76%
.22 @700fps 26 76.47%
Only if the pellets are greased with bacon 2 5.88%
OHOD, your getting close, you game hunter you 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2018, 7:07 PM

This might be helpful:

Caselaw

- Col. LB "Chesty" Puller USMC - Chosin Reservoir
Old 05-09-2018, 8:16 PM

There is a saying in air rifle circles. It goes;
.177 for feathers, .22 for fur.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishootforblood View Post
Squirrels have hard heads compared to rabbits. I quietly shake my head when I read posts that suggest "shot placement" and suggest head shots on squirrels. Yes, shot placement is important: Make body shots on squirrels, and you will recover more of them.

Keep in mind that whichever pellet you chose, it is a small piece of soft lead traveling at relatively slow speeds. Head shots on rabbits are effective regardless of caliber, provided the velocity and distance (range) are reasonable. Putting a soft pellet on a squirrel's hard head doesn't work well in my field experience. There just isn't enough penetration power. Rabbits have much softer heads. With all that said, I have had better experience with .22 caliber used on both rabbits and squirrels. I've never taken a coon or any type of bird with an air rifle.
With an airgun on squirrels, I take body shots at or slightly behind the shoulder. The only time I take a head shot with an airgun is when it's the only shot available.

With a .22 LR or .17 HMR, head shots are easy and effective.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 05-19-2018, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscriber View Post
What the Brits can do with their sub-12 ft.lb air rifles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTZGOMSMUk

Cans at 100 yards with a 15 ft.lb HW95: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRfl...utu.be&t=5m11s
Brits make the best air rifles but I'm surprised that they are still legal there now that they want to ban knives.
Go with a .22. More energy and you can hunt more variety of game.
By the way you can tune a 22 air rifle to shoot 14 gr pellets up tp 1000 fps but any thing past that you lose accuracy.

Last edited by deadshot; 05-19-2018 at 7:43 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 05-19-2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
By the way you can tune a 22 air rifle to shoot 14 gr pellets up tp 1000 fps.
Only if it has enough swept volume, assuming a springer... If a PCP, this is usually possible, but may reduce shot-count drastically; depending on the particular gun.
Old 05-19-2018, 1:45 PM

OHOD have you checked out the Benjamin Nitro piston line? I’ve been very happy with my Regal Nitro. It’s primarily a big 5 line but I have seen them on pyramydair also. Great gun, does pest control no problem on medium sized birds and squirrels. Very economical. Add a Charlie da Tuna trigger for $25 and you’ve got a fairly cheap, quiet, hard hitting break barrel. They tend to shoot standard crossman pellets well too. Lots of positive reviews on CG.
Old 05-19-2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClAddict View Post
OHOD have you checked out the Benjamin Nitro piston line?
Too late, Mate. See: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1448134
Old 06-15-2018, 2:48 PM
CGSSA Leader

I don’t know what you ended up getting OHOD, but, if a springer is not a necessity then I would look into a Benjamin Marauder PCP air rifle in .22, I took mine out after jack rabbits and it performed on them, I use JSB Heavies 21.3 gr pellets, kinda like the old Kodiacs from Beeman, H&N Sports makes good pelletsfor hunting and Target alike, I have successfully used my R9 on several jack rabbits with one shot behind the ears.
Old 06-18-2018, 5:25 PM

I'm from Wisconsin and last Fri. at a local Walmart I bought a Crossman F4 on sale for 79.00 sighted it in and on Sunday morning from my window overlooking my backyard garden I saw a rabbit in the garden munching away on my veggies. I got the F4 from my computer room loaded it with a Crossman Premier pointed 7.4gr pellet. I carefully lowered the screen took aim for the head shot and let loose, the rabbit will munch no more. Upon impact the rabbit collapsed the kill was instantaneous. I'm estimating the shot was between 15 to 20ft. away, when I went to retrieve the rabbit there was a lot of blood and both entrance and exit wound told the story of a accurate shot and clean kill. So glad I decided on the Crossman F4... Very affordable and very effective! I know it was a short range shot but I'm confident it will be lethal to 25yrds IMO.