Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Default Freezing in the apartment...so out comes the $2 space blanket!

I don't even remember when I got this thing. I have a few kicking under my bed and in my bags and I'd been meaning to try one out, and the last few freezing cold nights have been a good a time as any!

I gotta say, as something over a real blanket, they do a great job as advertised keeping in heat.

I'm wrapped up in it right now without a blanket. Desireable? no. I'm sure it will keep you alive though. They're loud and crinkly sounding, and you really have to wrap it around you to keep it on . It probably cuts the wind pretty good but it wants to fly off. The material is cold and not pleasant to touch, unsurprisingly LOL

So compared to a couple throw blankets and a snuggie, the space blanket alone is maybe even warmer in effect, and pretty quick about it too. Better yet was wrapping it over the blankets to lock in the body heat and not have to touch that thing. I can't tell the difference in eitheer side, and this thing is pretty old, by how it's deteriorated where it was folded.

I'm not sure if I can even fold it back up like it was. If you had to amke a fast exit its staying behind. 2 is 1 and 1 is none definitely applies!

My bag(s) have a SOS? brand bivy that's supposed to be great and I hope I never find out. I have an extra space blanket somewhere in there too as a backup, and a thin blanket that's bulky but man would be much nicer than just the space blanket!

Travel light, freeze at night, very true! But this thing would be much better than nothing if I ever had to sleep rough.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:26 AM

Cool, thanks for the report on that. I have one, but never used it.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM

heh yeah I know what you mean! I never wanted to mess them up by taking them out of the package.

There's a good reason for that! This is never folding back up right.

Supposedly, that orange SOS bivy that I got, it's $20 or so and rolls into a little bag it comes with, supposedly it can actually roll back up.

I got a few that they were selling cheap since they were so old. I should probably buy some new ones.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They rip and tear to shreds fairly easily, quickie instamatic shelter - but not good for more than a few hours unless you buy one of the heavier duty types.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Put it in between two thin blankets and it works great and is silent.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 PM

You know, I read that so I just tried to tear mine and I couldn't. it stretched like I expected. I'd venture its more HD than most.

Actually its almost like a folded up tarp. Maybe the silver reflects better, I dunno.

I know what you're talking about though the light ones look like they'll tear like tinfoil.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Calguns Addict

In Marine Recon, we did not take sleeping bags with us on patrol. We used used our ponchos and poncho liners, and placed a space blanket between them. They were light, compact and warm.
Old 01-13-2013, 2:08 PM

You can buy 10 or 12 packs of the space blankets on Amazon for around $8. At that price I keep them stashed in my cars and packs and don't think twice about it.
Old 01-14-2013, 2:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Amk Heatsheets are far better and less noisy.
Old 01-14-2013, 4:25 PM
CGSSA Associate

Cut a hole in it. where it over a t shirt like a poncho. Where a jacket or sweater over the whole thing. you'll keep warm... layered.