Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Default California Ammo Laws / Restrictions?

Looking to purchase some ammo on line and Cabella's states that residents of California and several other states need to check local laws before purchasing.

Where are these posted if they exist?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Certain Counties, like LA county, prohibit online sales of ammunuition. San Francisco too.

There are others, so that is basically what the seller is asking you to verify.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
Certain Counties, like LA county, prohibit online sales of ammunuition. San Francisco too.

Gutz,

Is there is web site / list that states what other counties may have restrictions? I am in El Dorado County.

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 PM

here is the info. you need but always call them. companys can change at any time.

WARNING: Ammunition cannot be shipped to Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties, CA; Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco, CA; HI; Chicago, IL; New York City; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico. Ammunition cannot be shipped Parcel Post. If shipping to IA, must be 21. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Ammunition.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM

La County is not restricted.
City of LA is restricted
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM

guns4funca / nastyhabts26

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 2:38 PM

Crap. Didn't know ammo couldn't be shipped to San Francisco. How am I supposed to get ammo? Nobody in the bay area has ammo in stock...

From reading other threads, there are NO laws preventing ammo being shipped to San Francisco, at least. It's all internal policy at the retailers. But people are reporting Cabellas, Gander Mountain, Midway, Brownelles, etc. are shipping here no problem...

Last edited by FourT6and2; 02-20-2013 at 2:43 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
Crap. Didn't know ammo couldn't be shipped to San Francisco. How am I supposed to get ammo? Nobody in the bay area has ammo in stock...

From reading other threads, there are NO laws preventing ammo being shipped to San Francisco, at least. It's all internal policy at the retailers. But people are reporting Cabellas, Gander Mountain, Midway, Brownelles, etc. are shipping here no problem...
Ship it to a friends address in another city.

NRA Life Member: Benefactor
Calguns Supporter
CRPA Supporter
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member Defender Club
Old 02-20-2013, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhabts26 View Post
City of LA is restricted
Los Angeles has restrictions on the sale of ammunition by vendors within city limits. It is unclear what the legal effect of this is on online vendors outside the city. I know that some vendors will ship into Los Angeles city.
Old 02-20-2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA142 View Post
Ship it to a friends address in another city.
And then what? Have them ship it to me or drive hours and hours to pick it up? Midway won't ship to California. Period. I called and asked and that's what they told me, at least. Cabelas doesn't stock the ammo I need. Maybe Brownells. I'll call 'em tomorrow. None of the other smaller online retailers will ship here either. I may be able to have a friend buy ammo for me in his city (Philly or maybe down in Florida, then ship it to me direct here in SF).

I don't have any friends who live outside the bay area. I just moved to California. Unfortunately.

None of the Walmarts in the Bay Area sell ammo either. I called one and asked if they sell ammo and the lady freaked out on me over the phone and hung up on me. I think there's a Walmart a few hours from here that sells ammo. But not sure. And there's only one gun shop in the city. And they don't have any ammo. It's kind of a weird situation.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 02-20-2013 at 5:04 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 5:06 PM

some places restrict handgun ammo but not rifle ammo so its wise to check county laws before ordering.. ie yolo county no handgun ammo or knives etc but rifle ammo can be shipped there... so check beforehand saves headaches later
Old 02-20-2013, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4funca View Post
here is the info. you need but always call them. companys can change at any time.

WARNING: Ammunition cannot be shipped to Marin, Napa, Ventura and Yolo counties, CA; Los Angeles, Oakland, Sacramento and San Francisco, CA; HI; Chicago, IL; New York City; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico. Ammunition cannot be shipped Parcel Post. If shipping to IA, must be 21. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Ammunition.
Ventura county has no restrictions on ammunition sales.
Religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together. James Madison
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_gman View Post
Ventura county has no restrictions on ammunition sales.
From what I can tell, neither does San Francisco. But some retailers won't ship regardless...
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:

have it shipped to a friend that lives in san mateo county...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 PM

I've only found a couple online dealers that will ship to Oakland. Most won't.

If the online dealers even have what you want in stock right now, they should have a list of places they WON'T ship to somewhere on their site. Usually, LA, SF, Oakland, sometimes Richmond and sometimes the counties those cities are in.

Some dealers want the billing address to match the shipping address, and ammo has to be, or is supposed to be, or usually needs to be signed for. El Dorado county shouldn't be that bad, right? Freedom starts East of I-5.

Just saw this on The Gun Wire.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/polit...192399151.html
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
None of the Walmarts in the Bay Area sell ammo either. I called one and asked if they sell ammo and the lady freaked out on me over the phone and hung up on me. I think there's a Walmart a few hours from here that sells ammo. But not sure. And there's only one gun shop in the city. And they don't have any ammo. It's kind of a weird situation.
Walmart in Mountain View and Milpitas sells ammo (if you're lucky enough to catch them in stock).. Mountain view is about 25 mins away and Milpitas about 35-40 mins

Last edited by Bmfdez; 02-21-2013 at 10:26 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 PM

UT is a San Francisco native and remembers when officer James Guelff was outgunned by a psychopath intent on killing a cop who had run out of ammo in a shootout in 1994. San Francisco needs more ammo, not less.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM

bulkammo.com will ship to San Francisco. I have an order on the way as we speak. They also seem to have a lot of stuff in stock. Hint hint.

They don't carry WWB .45, though. Had to get Federal/American Eagle instead.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Certain Counties, like LA county, prohibit online sales of ammunuition.
Incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyhabts26 View Post
City of LA is restricted
Still incorrect.

Seriously, why do people keep spouting this BS? The LA City "rule" applies to business in LA ONLY. It has zero force or restriction on a business that is somewhere else!

OP - I don't know that there is any database, but if a vendor only says "check your local laws" then you're good. OTOH, if you go to SGAmmo or Sportsman's Guide they very clearly say where they won't ship to.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 02-22-2013, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
Incorrect.

Still incorrect.

Seriously, why do people keep spouting this BS? The LA City "rule" applies to business in LA ONLY. It has zero force or restriction on a business that is somewhere else!

OP - I don't know that there is any database, but if a vendor only says "check your local laws" then you're good. OTOH, if you go to SGAmmo or Sportsman's Guide they very clearly say where they won't ship to.
Yep. No state nor local laws that I can tell of prohibit the online purchase of ammo, nor do they prohibit the shipment of ammo.

But before you buy, make sure the retailer is WILLING to ship to you. I called Cabela's and asked if they'd ship to my zip code. They said no. I asked why. They said California/Bay Area law prohibits it. I told them (politely) that there are no such laws in existence. They hung up on me.
Old 02-22-2013, 1:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
bulkammo.com will ship to San Francisco. I have an order on the way as we speak. They also seem to have a lot of stuff in stock. Hint hint.

They don't carry WWB .45, though. Had to get Federal/American Eagle instead.
Yeah... 1000 rounds of 9mm for $690, 1000 rounds of .223 for $919. I bet they have a lot in stock. HINT HINT...
Old 02-22-2013, 1:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yep. No state nor local laws that I can tell of prohibit the online purchase of ammo, nor do they prohibit the shipment of ammo.

But before you buy, make sure the retailer is WILLING to ship to you. I called Cabela's and asked if they'd ship to my zip code. They said no. I asked why. They said California/Bay Area law prohibits it. I told them (politely) that there are no such laws in existence. They hung up on me.
Thats funny, 'cause I just purchased 4 cases of 12gauge from them, and I'm looking at it sitting in front of me..and I used to purchase a lot of Ammo from Midway and Cabela's last year (before when it was plentiful) never had an issue.
Old 02-22-2013, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
Yeah... 1000 rounds of 9mm for $690, 1000 rounds of .223 for $919. I bet they have a lot in stock. HINT HINT...
only hollow point... lol... i think gunbroker has better prices HINT HINT
Old 02-22-2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for other calibers. But I think the price I paid for .45 230gr. FMJ was $28 per 50 rounds (got 1,000 rounds). Expensive? I don't know. Moved to California recently from Michigan. And in Detroit WWB is about the same price at Walmart.

But the important thing is I haven't been able to find ammo anywhere in the Bay Area. So I'm happy.
Old 02-22-2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Thats funny, 'cause I just purchased 4 cases of 12gauge from them, and I'm looking at it sitting in front of me..and I used to purchase a lot of Ammo from Midway and Cabela's last year (before when it was plentiful) never had an issue.
Weird. Like I said, the person I spoke with told me they wouldn't ship here. Then hung up. Midway won't ship here either.
Old 02-24-2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:

Currently there are no laws restricting shippping ammunition to San Francisco
Old 02-24-2013, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmesa005 View Post
guns4funca / nastyhabts26

Thanks!
Welcome!
Old 02-24-2013, 5:29 PM

Most will not ship to what i posted always call them and make sure. Those are the laws. Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmfdez View Post
Walmart in Mountain View and Milpitas sells ammo (if you're lucky enough to catch them in stock).. Mountain view is about 25 mins away and Milpitas about 35-40 mins
You may want to check at a Big 5, a sporting goods chain in the Bay Area, if there's one near you. All of their locations that I've been to in the East Bay have a firearms counter. Whether they have anything in stock has been a different question, but it's worth finding out what day they receive shipments - I was there on the right day a few weeks back and they had some Winchester "Target" .223 and a few 10 round AR-15 mags fresh off the truck.
Old 02-25-2013, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Most will not ship to what i posted always call them and make sure. Those are the laws. Thanks
Do not confuse a retailer's internal policy with actual laws. Do not spread disinformation please. If you have sources that you can cite, I will gladly stand corrected.

Quote:

Yep - there are some retailers who just do not get it. And they don't want to hear it either. SGAmmo is one, sportsman's guide is another, and freedom munitions is a third. I can accept if it's store policy, but don't prevaricate and tell me (the person who lives in that area) what the laws are. I know I know them better than any out stater.

Of course, every time this question comes up, there's always a group of folk maintaining that "it's the law" but not providing source citation.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 02-25-2013, 7:53 AM

Quote:
That's weird - I live in San Francisco have had Cabela's ship ammo to my house without problem.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta9 View Post
That's weird - I live in San Francisco have had Cabela's ship ammo to my house without problem.
Weird. What about Midway?
Old 02-26-2013, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Weird. What about Midway?
I've never ordered ammo but have had other items shipped from Midway
Old 02-26-2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta9 View Post
I've never ordered ammo but have had other items shipped from Midway
Yeah, they'll ship other stuff. Like cleaners, accessories, etc. But they won't ship ammo for some reason.
Old 02-26-2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:

Total Crap - I looked into Napa and there is no restriction - but there is a shared zip code with Solano/Yolo county and that sparks the fear.
Look around for another source and tell the dirt-bags that all your business goes elsewhere.

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 02-27-2013, 6:51 PM

1,000 rounds just arrived here in SF from BulkAmmo! It's really hard to carry 50 lbs. of ammo up and down these freakin' hills. Picked it up at my local UPS store. Glad I brought a backpack!
Old 02-27-2013, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they'll ship other stuff. Like cleaners, accessories, etc. But they won't ship ammo for some reason.
Don't know this to be true. I ordered ammo from Midway in December and January and both orders shipped to me (east bay) without issue or delay.
Old 02-27-2013, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-J View Post
Incorrect.

Still incorrect.

Thank you for correcting all the misinformation.

The only other times one gets this much disinformation is when talking to police.
Old 02-27-2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Don't know this to be true. I ordered ammo from Midway in December and January and both orders shipped to me (east bay) without issue or delay.
Old 02-27-2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:

talk to a ups store just out side the the limits. some for a small fee will accept packages for you.