Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-18-2018, 9:54 PM

Default Anyone with info on a TriStar single barrel shotgun?

I saw one with a 20" barrel and synthetic stock. Not too much on the interweb except something about them made for a wild turkey foundation. Looks like a fun gun for shooting and cheap. I dont have a single barrel shotgun. I have pump, semi and double barrel. What do you think?

http://rockymountainbushcraft.blogspot.com/2013/12/

Legal disclaimer: Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, including me.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:31 AM

I'm sure it works fine. Recoil is gonna be a serious mutha on a 4lb-4oz break-action shotgun though...

While plenty of people do have them, I personally see singles as relics of a bygone era. Way too many affordable repeaters out there these days...
Old 07-19-2018, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadstorm View Post
I'm sure it works fine. Recoil is gonna be a serious mutha on a 4lb-4oz break-action shotgun though...

While plenty of people do have them, I personally see singles as relics of a bygone era. Way too many affordable repeaters out there these days...
Too much recoil for me to enjoy shooting them.
Old 07-19-2018, 8:26 AM

How much is too much recoil? Does it kick more than a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70?

Old 07-19-2018, 8:52 AM

I’ve never shot a Marlin Guide Gun. The effects of recoil are cumulative though and other than turkey the hunting I do with shotguns is high volume shooting compared to the hunting I do with a rifle.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM

The purpose of this gun would not be for high-volume shooting. It's something lightweight that's less than four and a half pounds. With the 20 inch barrel, it's not likely that I'm going to shoot two or three rounds of trap. It would be something that you might put three or four rounds through when you actually need it.

The purpose of this thread was specifically about the brand TriStar and if anyone had any information about it.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Just got one of these after shopping for awhile ! He has 12ga also.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/779191658
Old 07-19-2018, 12:01 PM

I don’t own a TriStar but know enough people who have them and like them that I’d give one a shot. All semi’s. I grew up shooting break action single barrels and do not have fond memories of the recoil. I’m not saying don’t get one, I’m saying they are not for me due to recoil.
Old 07-19-2018, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy View Post
How much is too much recoil? Does it kick more than a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70?
Well, a 1oz load of shot at 1200fps is gonna be very roughly equivalent to a 405gr bullet at the same speed...but that shotgun weighs about 3 pounds less than the Marlin does. What's more is that the Guide Gun (which I do have) has great ergonomics and that goes a long way towards taming recoil.

As far as Tri-Star, like I said I'm sure it'll work. Guys who have them seem to like them, and there's not much to go wrong with a break-action single.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2018, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a tristar o/u in 16 gauge, have had no issues with it, my buddy has one in 20 gauge and no issues!!