Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Default IHC M1s available at the CMP

Looks like the CMP has some IHC rifles for sale, $980 field grade, $1080 service grade.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:33 AM

Pretty pricey for an IHC receiver.
Jon
Old 03-08-2018, 7:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Pretty pricey for an IHC receiver.
Jon
Yep and they'll probably get flipped fer $1400!
Old 03-08-2018, 7:43 PM

I admittedly would pay a bit of a premium for one. Not an outrageous price but if any of you end up ordering a second one I'd be willing to kick in some dough. I'm just throwing that out there.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 AM

I bought a tractor rifle about 7-8 years ago. Paid $1700 for it. Thought it was a little steep but bought it any way. That doesn't seem like such a high price now. It's ALL IHC and all correct. Sometimes ya' just gotta' wait a while 'til the $$ catches up with the times. Glad I already have it in the barn. I'd hate to have to piece one together on today's prices.
Jon
Old 03-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Pricey? I know a guy that paid $1600. Of course it went with original IHC stock. If these have an IHC stock and if I had the money I'd go for it.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty sure if it was all matching IHC they would only be available on the CMP's auction site.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 03-09-2018, 7:59 PM

Mine has IHC wood as well.
Jon
Old 03-09-2018, 9:27 PM

My offer still stands. If someone happens to buy an extra one and ends up not needing it, let me know. Not offering anything illegal, just saying I'd pay fair market CA value.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonBear723 View Post
My offer still stands. If someone happens to buy an extra one and ends up not needing it, let me know. Not offering anything illegal, just saying I'd pay fair market CA value.

Service Grade IHC limited to one per year per person per CMP policy. They won't sell more than one.
BRE:#01443195 Realty First REO
Old 03-10-2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Mine has IHC wood as well.
Jon
Old 03-10-2018, 4:09 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Considering the fact that they will sell all of them regardless, I doubt the CMP price setters are doing much hand wringing over what people on the boards think.
Old 03-10-2018, 4:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Prices! Ouch!!

Guess I'll hang on to my Saginaw for awhile.
Old 03-10-2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmandowntown View Post
Service Grade IHC limited to one per year per person per CMP policy. They won't sell more than one.
Dang it
Old 03-12-2018, 6:25 AM

Just curious, what is the great appeal of the IHC Garands for you guys? Is it because they were probably lightly used?
Old 03-12-2018, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
Just curious, what is the great appeal of the IHC Garands for you guys? Is it because they were probably lightly used?
I believe it's because they were the lowest quantity made out of all the manufacturers.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 AM

Thanks. Just curious about everyone else. I mean, I know why I'd want one. I've owned an IHC Scout for almost three decades. So an IHC made rifle would be kind of cool to have.
Old 03-12-2018, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Fewest made of the 4 makers. Also, lots of variances, i.e. receivers were made by SA, IHC and HRA. 3 different heel markings. With a few more problems they wouldn't have made any at all. There's kind of a novelty aspect attached to them as well.
Jon
Old 03-12-2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Just curious about everyone else. I mean, I know why I'd want one. I've owned an IHC Scout for almost three decades. So an IHC made rifle would be kind of cool to have.
'kind of cool to have'? your history with the truck basically means you owe your self a Harvester Garand.

seriously, I can not think of a legitimate reason to not buy one of these, unless you already have one.
Old 03-12-2018, 8:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've always been partial to wartime guns made by non-gun companies. M1903A3s made by Smith-Corona, M1 Carbines made by IBM and many others... now, just need to find a Singer 1911 for less than a kidney... Luckily, I got a great SG IHC with LMR barrel a few years back, one of the Greek returns. Wasn't much cheaper than these, BTW.
Old 03-13-2018, 7:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2761377 View Post
'kind of cool to have'? your history with the truck basically means you owe your self a Harvester Garand.

seriously, I can not think of a legitimate reason to not buy one of these, unless you already have one.
Unfortunately I didn't know IHC made Garands when they were still cheap

My father-in-law worked for IHC 25 years on trucks and TD24's then sales of heavy trucks..
I owned a 4370 my first season in aghauling and an RD 405 (was in a museum awhile) now resides down in Walnut Grove I think.
Drove 2 sander/plow bobtail trucks with DT466's for the El Dorado County DOT in Tahoe a couple seasons, amongst other equipment. Ever take a sander sideways down a 9+% grade? Makes for an interesting ride!
Drove several IHC transit mixers in Gardnerville and Kirkwood cuz nobody else knew how to drive twin stickers!
Then there were the 6 years in my younger days I worked on the dairy in Sonoma driving a Farmall M being chased by a manure spreader.
Old 03-14-2018, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86 View Post
I believe it's because they were the lowest quantity made out of all the manufacturers.
not true at all
Old 03-14-2018, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
Unfortunately I didn't know IHC made Garands when they were still cheap

My father-in-law worked for IHC 25 years on trucks and TD24's then sales of heavy trucks..
I owned a 4370 my first season in aghauling and an RD 405 (was in a museum awhile) now resides down in Walnut Grove I think.
Drove 2 sander/plow bobtail trucks with DT466's for the El Dorado County DOT in Tahoe a couple seasons, amongst other equipment. Ever take a sander sideways down a 9+% grade? Makes for an interesting ride!
Drove several IHC transit mixers in Gardnerville and Kirkwood cuz nobody else knew how to drive twin stickers!
Then there were the 6 years in my younger days I worked on the dairy in Sonoma driving a Farmall M being chased by a manure spreader.
Wow that's some serious IH hardware.

I saw my first IH Garand at the Del Mar Gun Show. It was maybe really early 2000s. Saw a Garand on a rack and decided to have a closer look. "International Harvester"?? WTH? I couldn't believe it. Never knew that IH was in the Gov't contract weapons business. Had to run over to tell my friend at the show, a guy who's also owned a Scout nearly as long as I have.

I don't recall the price. But it was quite a bit more than the LE #4 I was thinking of getting.
Old 03-14-2018, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
not true at all
Are you sure? I always thought this was the offical number:

M1 Garand Production

IHC 337,623
HRA 428,600
WRA 513,880
SA 4,188,669 (of which 50,000 were gas traps)

Is that not the case?
Old 03-14-2018, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglabe View Post
Are you sure? I always thought this was the offical number:

M1 Garand Production

IHC 337,623
HRA 428,600
WRA 513,880
SA 4,188,669 (of which 50,000 were gas traps)

Is that not the case?
I think he thought I said Quality. LOL
Old 03-14-2018, 9:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Wow that's some serious IH hardware.

I saw my first IH Garand at the Del Mar Gun Show. It was maybe really early 2000s. Saw a Garand on a rack and decided to have a closer look. "International Harvester"?? WTH? I couldn't believe it. Never knew that IH was in the Gov't contract weapons business. Had to run over to tell my friend at the show, a guy who's also owned a Scout nearly as long as I have. He also spec'd out and sold all the IHC firetrucks bought in the 1970's in YOLO County.

I don't recall the price. But it was quite a bit more than the LE #4 I was thinking of getting.
Yep I've dealt a lot with "Corn Binders" but never a Corn Binder Garand, there was one here at a LGS shop, a rebuild, only the well worn receiver was IHC $1400 everything else a mix master of parts. I don't recall seeing a proof mark on the stock or any cartouches.

My father-in-law when he worked for IHC went into sales from wrench bending and was selling the diesel Scouts to the Farmers in the Sacto Valley. That way they could use the diesel tractor fuel instead of paying pump prices and taxes!

Had I even though about IHC Garands I could have gotten them from the Garandsmith in 1990 that lived in Reno, his private collection of Garands was 250+ by maker, serial number range, correct parts etc. We never talked about IHC's as he was trying to get a "Tanker Garand" to work for me I bought from a guy in FLA, which never did work right, I was able to get a brand new USGI 7.62 bbl at auction to have that receiver rebarreled, he also replaced a lot of out of spec parts for free. When he went out of business he took me to his storage unit and gave me several sets of USGI handguards, slings, and stocks. Guess he took pity on a Garand newbie that got screwed on a "Tanker Deal".
Also got my all correct Italian Breda Garand from him, when he went out of business in sometime after 2000 he offered me any ans all his Garands (not the collection) at $300 each and he had a Garage full! Close to 200 Garand's all handpicked. Didn't have the money so I had to pass.

Last edited by aghauler; 03-14-2018 at 10:01 AM..
Old 03-14-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86 View Post
I think he thought I said Quality. LOL
Yes I did
Old 03-14-2018, 11:57 AM

IHC's are interesting in that most of the serial range you can identify unmarked parts easily as the have a letter code or distinguishing marks

MW just under 1 TW just under 2

Jury is still out on the gas cylinder

Old 03-14-2018, 11:59 AM

Old 03-14-2018, 12:01 PM

Old 03-14-2018, 12:02 PM

Old 03-14-2018, 12:16 PM

Any change in regards to importation of old surplus after Trump came into office?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodeer View Post
Any change in regards to importation of old surplus after Trump came into office?
Recent thread on the topic. Its been in the works since he took office, so at least a year's worth of discussion on it. Old news so to speak. Its most likely where these IHCs came from since CMP hasnt offered them in a while.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1420612
Old 03-14-2018, 1:17 PM

CMP's rifles are not imported,so the importation ban does not affect them. By a act of Congress rifles returned to the US Army may be turned over to CMP.
Old 03-14-2018, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
CMP's rifles are not imported,so the importation ban does not affect them. By a act of Congress rifles returned to the US Army may be turned over to CMP.
I think he was referring to the Obama executive order that was stopping the CMP from receiving any shipments.
Old 03-14-2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
I think he was referring to the Obama executive order that was stopping the CMP from receiving any shipments.
There was no such thing that affected CMP. CMP's rifle supply was running low because there were no rifles being returned to the Army.
Obamas executive order affected US Importers, not CMP as they are not "Importers"
Old 03-14-2018, 3:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There was no such thing that affected CMP. CMP's rifle supply was running low because there were no rifles being returned to the Army.
Obamas executive order affected US Importers, not CMP as they are not "Importers"
This is what I am referring to, sorry for any confusion:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...ting-firearms/

"One Executive Order bans the re-importation of surplus U.S.-made rifles, including M1 Garands and M1 Carbines. Such rifles are used in Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) competitions. For decades the CMP has sold M1 Garands and M1 Carbines, many re-imported from arsenals overseas, to qualified American shooters. The White House stated: “Today, the Administration is announcing a new policy of denying requests to bring military-grade firearms back into the United States to private entities, with only a few exceptions such as for museums.”"
Old 03-14-2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Sorry for mixing things up.
Old 03-14-2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Recent thread on the topic. Its been in the works since he took office, so at least a year's worth of discussion on it. Old news so to speak. Its most likely where these IHCs came from since CMP hasnt offered them in a while.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1420612
Thank you for the link.
Old 03-14-2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
you keep having ostrich vision on this. OK, CMP is not an importer.

but, they have been selling re-imported rifles for 20 years. CMP gets these rifles through the Department of the Army, which is controlled by political appointees.

If Obama's Secretary of the Army is told "Do Not Try to Re-acquire MAP rifles" that amounts to an importation ban.

sometimes I wonder about your politics.