Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-04-2018, 2:36 PM

Default C&R Road Trip; Sacramento to Boise and Back

I'm scheduled for a road trip to Boise and intend to stop in any and all gun shops, pawn shops, hardware stores, or whatever along the way that may have anything I might be interested in. And that would be C&R's.

I've time so my travel range is between Sacramento, Elko, and Boise to keep it simple. More or less.

If anyone has recommendations of shops for me to visit within the above triangle, more or less, I'd appreciate it.

Cal DOJ. I'll secure what I procure inside or outside of CA according to the law. Have a nice day.

No riders. This is a solo trip.

Thanks

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?
Old 03-04-2018, 4:56 PM

Sunrise Pass arms in Johnson Lane, Minden, and talk to Dan.
Old 03-04-2018, 5:15 PM

you could try Petersunn antiques in genoa if you are going to Minden.
Old 03-04-2018, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

Armageddon Arms in Nampa, ID, had the best selection of milsurp and C&R in that area, the last time I was in those parts. The pawn shop a few doors down had some good stuff too. I spent a week there with my bud and I went to most of the gun/pawn shops while he was at work. But it's like many shops, if you don't check them all out, you could miss something. If you haven't been to Boise before, you'll want to turn north at Winnemucca on 95, for the straightest run. Cool tank & armor display just outside of town, Veteran's Park. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 03-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

^^^This, and OR finally raised the speed limit on the part of 95 that swings over their border.
Sportsmans Warehouse in Boise had a few gems back in the corner of the rack the last time I was there, and the Boise Cabelas has always had a good selection in the used rack.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP, make sure you bring your C&R and license with you.
Old 03-06-2018, 7:43 PM

Everyone, thanks for the feedback.

It promises to be a good road trip.

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?
Old 03-06-2018, 7:48 PM

PS F Becerra.

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?
Old 03-08-2018, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

Lots of c and rs, lots of sporterized also, nampa has 6-7 gun shops, midstar firearms has some c& rs, check out zidaho.com for local ftf sales or dealer sales.

I live in star, id. Moved here 2 years ago, lots of shooting ranges and competition.

Im selling a swede 1892 rolling block spoeter in 8x58rd, 1943 .moison 9130.sharps rifles, h& r 1873.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
^^^This, and OR finally raised the speed limit on the part of 95 that swings over their border.
Yeah, but keep in mind Jordan Valley is still a notorious speed trap. I try and keep it within 10 MPH max of the speed limit from where 95 turns east to the ID Border.
Old 03-09-2018, 7:11 PM

I like Midstar, and Boise Guns in Boise and Nampa.

BUT (Mike's BIG BUTT) before you invest a lot of time, gas and hope in a small dealer (not the three shops above) ASK them right out if they will ship to CA. Some of the smaller shops in ID and MT and Eastern Oregon won't and they'll tell you that right away. Most aren't *****s about it and I know better than to raise my blood pressure arguing with them.

Last time I trolled Eastern Oregon I found a Savage rifle I'd been seeking for years. And the shop owner wouldn't sell it to me.

On the other hand I found a perfect--not too cherry, not too beat, excellent price--'17 Colt in Nampa and had it shipped to an OC dealer. It's worth lookin' up there! Good luck--may you find your grail!
Old 03-10-2018, 9:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
Armageddon Arms in Nampa, ID, had the best selection of milsurp and C&R in that area, the last time I was in those parts. The pawn shop a few doors down had some good stuff too. I spent a week there with my bud and I went to most of the gun/pawn shops while he was at work. But it's like many shops, if you don't check them all out, you could miss something. If you haven't been to Boise before, you'll want to turn north at Winnemucca on 95, for the straightest run. Cool tank & armor display just outside of town, Veteran's Park. PAX
Armageddon Armory has some of the biggest *****-holes I've ever encountered anywhere, let alone a gun store. They have a general hatred of Glocks for reasons they cannot explain. Expect to be followed around by an employee or 2 expecting you to steal something. Prices are abnormally high across the board. Don't believe me?? Spend a bit of time on Boise Shooters dot com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
Lots of c and rs, lots of sporterized also, nampa has 6-7 gun shops, midstar firearms has some c& rs, check out zidaho.com for local ftf sales or dealer sales.

I live in star, id. Moved here 2 years ago, lots of shooting ranges and competition.

Im selling a swede 1892 rolling block sporter in 8x58rd, 1943 .moison 9130.sharps rifles, h& r 1873.
I wouldn't mind a conversation about a CETME bolt gun, an FR8, and/or a CZ52...one of 1000 converted to 9mm by BRNO. I purchased the pistol from Dennis Kroh ~20 years ago and picked up 2 more oem mags from Mike Krebs. PM me if you're interested in one and have a safe trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
Yeah, but keep in mind Jordan Valley is still a notorious speed trap. I try and keep it within 10 MPH max of the speed limit from where 95 turns east to the ID Border.
Years ago the JV head leo had his own segment on 60 minutes. I don't go 1 mph over the limit in JV. The Shell station has restrooms open 24 hours a day...do not expect much, but if you gotta' go it's there. The Rock House as you enter town is a great place for coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Armstrong View Post
I like Midstar, and Boise Guns in Boise and Nampa.

BUT (Mike's BIG BUTT) before you invest a lot of time, gas and hope in a small dealer (not the three shops above) ASK them right out if they will ship to CA. Some of the smaller shops in ID and MT and Eastern Oregon won't and they'll tell you that right away. Most aren't *****s about it and I know better than to raise my blood pressure arguing with them.

Last time I trolled Eastern Oregon I found a Savage rifle I'd been seeking for years. And the shop owner wouldn't sell it to me.

On the other hand I found a perfect--not too cherry, not too beat, excellent price--'17 Colt in Nampa and had it shipped to an OC dealer. It's worth lookin' up there! Good luck--may you find your grail!
Check out Boise Guns off Veterans Memorial Parkway. Literally thousands of guns and lots of C&R pieces.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Last edited by -hanko; 03-13-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Old 03-11-2018, 6:43 AM

I've been checking out zidaho and other online sites and there appears to be some potential for some C&R's on this trip. Accordingly, I've ignored online marketplaces recently to maintain my cash supply. I've been to Boise a few times (no tickets to date) but this is the first time with my C&R license; I'm looking to it like a first date

My research is also making me sick when I see a Polytech, Norinco NHM 90, cans, Class 3, SBR's, Colts, and more available for sale in ID but verboten in CA. I saw Sessions talking to Tucker and Sessions says vote out your representatives if they don't represent your values. I've been trying that for years and now I'm seriously thinking about moving to ID. But that's another thread that I'll start.

Thanks everyone. The trip is in early May and I'll post photo's of whatever I pick up.

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?
Old 03-11-2018, 11:57 AM

I’d move to ID if I could find a decent job.

Looking forward to seeing your photos!
Old 05-07-2018, 8:05 PM

I wrote up a the details of the trip but Calguns timed me out and it's lost to the internet now.

Anyhow I visited Sunrise Pass, Midstar, Armegedon, Sportsman's and Cabelas. If you are in the area check out the firearms exhibit at the old pen in Boise; it's well worth the visit.

I picked up an Enfield SMT 22-IV in Boise and a 1903-A3 Smith Carona in Reno. Photo's to follow.

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?
Old 05-08-2018, 6:52 PM

Attached are photo's of my 03-A3 Smith Corona that I picked up from Cabelas Reno. If memory serves me right they had a lot of Colt 22's (Woodsman, etc.), and a Colt Agent 38 Spl. I got this to compliment my Remington A3.

The wood, to me, appears to be varnished in a satin finish. The sales person mentioned tung oil but I don't think that's what's on it. The finish is slightly tacky to me. I'll strip it down and refinish. I know there are prior posts regarding this but if anyone has anything to add please post it.

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?

Last edited by TI-Tick; 05-29-2018 at 6:56 PM..
Old 05-08-2018, 7:15 PM

I got this Enfield 22 Trainer from Cabelas Boise. The wood has been patched in a few places but the work was done by a master. I've always liked the look of Enfields but 303 turned me off so this 22 sealed the deal. SN on the receiver, bolt, stock, and bayonet lug all match. I need to do some more research on this rifle but thought it would add to my collection.

On the right rear of the receiver there appears to be an import mark IA CO SAC CA, ENGLAND. If anyone knows about this mark please let me know.

It was a good trip. C&R's are out there but you have to look. Midstar treated me very well and Armageddon was interesting but also treated me well.

Also, if you are in Boise check out the firearms exhibit at the old prison; about 12 Tommy guns including a Navy and a SA Tommy from the 20's, M2 carbine, Riesling, PAK-37, MP-42, Stoner, M 16-A1, MG 42, knee mortar, trench knives (my out of state 1917 is better than what they had on display), and more

Let's go get Angel.....
Why not?

Last edited by TI-Tick; 05-29-2018 at 6:56 PM..
Old 05-08-2018, 8:14 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

22LR Enfield is pretty cool.

IA CO was InterAmerican Company in Sacramento CA. They did a lot of imports from overseas back in the day. England is the country of origin for the rifle.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 05-09-2018, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Boise Guns filed for bankruptcy and is out of business.

Check out Buckhorn gun and Pawn.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture