Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-01-2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_sig_z View Post
Why not Cal Gun, http://cgssa.org/product/cmp-membership/? Then all you need is FFL03+COE.

I put in an order over Thanksgiving for a Special Grade and got this: https://imgur.com/a/mA79y

The muzzle and TE reading had me a little bum but after cleaning and taking her to the range she shoots awesome and has nice groups (she does open up a lot after getting warn). I put in a note requesting WWII serial number and USGI stock. I got the USGI stock (tho likely a replacement) with some parts from WWII, the receiver is very much post-WWII. So very much a fraken-rifle but that is fine by me. If the
Very nice piece of history there regardless. Great looking wood grain too. I'm not ready for a FFL03+COE yet.
Old 02-01-2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns259 View Post
Is the FSC card your evidence of marksmanship activities?
Yup-I called them to verify first and sure as s#@t they accepted it and shipped the rifle.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've had several irons from CMP in different conditions of wear and have been pleased with each one. There's a certain confidence firing CMP irons knowing they conform to minimum standards before being sold to the public. Others mileage may vary.
Old 02-02-2018, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
If you get a crap rifle from CMP, they will make it right. if you buy a rack grade, you know going into it that it's probably gonna need some work. some people are willing to buy a worn out one if it means they're getting a Winchester, IHC or whatever they're after. Some people just want a wall hanger that has the been there done that look. that's why people buy drill rifles faster than they can put 'em out at the CMP stores. They used to sell barreled actions as well, for cheap. miss those days.
Why should CMP make anything "right" when its what you ordered???

I have personally handled many, many hundreds of Field Grades and many are crap and in need of a rebarrel and yes they still fall in the grade description.
No one bothers to read the grade decription then they are dissapointed when they open that big brown box,
Old 02-03-2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Why should CMP make anything "right" when its what you ordered???

I have personally handled many, many hundreds of Field Grades and many are crap and in need of a rebarrel and yes they still fall in the grade description.
No one bothers to read the grade decription then they are dissapointed when they open that big brown box,
I was talking about if you get something that's defective, or say the parkerizing is bad on a part. they will fix it quickly and without a hassle. A field grade is a field grade. lots of people bought em just to part em out.
Old 02-04-2018, 6:08 AM

The only one thing that I hate about the CMP is the fact that they charge $50 for a M1 Garand match but less for all other matches. Other than that I am a happy customer many many times over. Thw CMP is made up of good people who I have always found to be friendly and full of customer service except one person...

Last edited by Mac Attack; 02-04-2018 at 6:12 AM..
Old 02-06-2018, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member

I have a CMP Garand and love it

The only complaining I've heard, and that I've done, is that there's not much optimism of the quality. Usually wood+very humid conditions= bad. Now they might be slathered in cosmo, so we might get some good stuff... but if they're not, expect the CMP to sell off the best ones by mixing/ fixing them up, and not sure what they'd do with rusted receivers/ barrels
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
If anyone wants to complain about the CMP, they need to complain about how they changed the rules several years back that required bolts be closed on empty chambers when starting the sitting and prone rapids from standing. Also, people should complain about how the CMP changed the rules allowing 4.5x power scopes in Service Rifle.

/Get off my lawn.

//Iron sights for life.
Exactly. Yes they do a GREAT JOB on garands, carbines, etc. An exceptional job.

However the 4.5 scope rule change sucks. The scores are now skewed due to scopes. A iron sight shooter doesn't stand a chance, especially older ones.

Scopes rifles shoukd be broken out into their own class with adjusted break points for classifications. Let the iron sight guys keep the old score ranges and give them a format to compete amongst themselves.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccandgc View Post
You forgot the "entitled" crowd who somehow feel their ancestors paid some sort tax at one point in the distant past thus earning them a right to a handout.
Hahahaha love this.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
Exactly. Yes they do a GREAT JOB on garands, carbines, etc. An exceptional job.

However the 4.5 scope rule change sucks. The scores are now skewed due to scopes. A iron sight shooter doesn't stand a chance, especially older ones.

Scopes rifles shoukd be broken out into their own class with adjusted break points for classifications. Let the iron sight guys keep the old score ranges and give them a format to compete amongst themselves.
They had to do that to try to boost attendance at the matches. I am in total agreement with you that irons and glass should not be scored together. I'm a member of the over 60 crowd and I refuse to get a black rifle and hang all sorts of **** on the hand guard. I'm quite pleased with my M1's, 03-A3 and M1 carbine as they are. In my opinion, if you need glass, you're shooting too far or you're a lazy so and so and don't want to learn the finer points of using irons.
Jon
Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Love CMP, I received a 6 digit Springfield Garand which puts the date around September 1942 (WAR Garand) :-), GI wood, shipped to my house and she's proven she'll shoot 2 MOA even with my lousy rifle shooting. I suspect I can get her to 1 MOA with practice and the handloads I just worked up. I could not be happier. My buddy has 2 Garands that are in great condition as well.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Seeing as I limit my online exposure, I've seen none of the above. Then again, I dont care what other people think about almost everything, so it's insignificant anyway. Get a gun and don't pay attention to tools.
Ditto.

Old 02-18-2018, 5:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccandgc View Post
You forgot the "entitled" crowd who somehow feel their ancestors paid some sort tax at one point in the distant past thus earning them a right to a handout.
This.

The election of Donald Trump has caused California
to go “FULL STUPID “
Old 02-19-2018, 1:39 PM
CGN Contributor

I hate the CMP because they are rip off artists.

When I got my Garand from the DCM it was only $65.00 Now the CMP wants a fortune. Bloody rats!

Actually just kidding but my Garand was $65.00. It was also mailed to my house. Got home from work one day and a Garand in a box was laying on my front porch. Ahh, the good old days.

Here I am.

"I'm for Hoffa until they pat my face with a shovel and steal my cufflinks." Frank Sheerin

Last edited by cannon; 02-26-2018 at 12:09 PM..
Old 02-19-2018, 2:18 PM
CGN Contributor

I decided to pass on the CMP offering...instead I took more money, my C&R permit and went to a free state....1943 Remington Rand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180219_091733.jpg (98.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-19-2018, 2:30 PM
On The Edge
CGN Contributor

I think people are just bent that the CMP is not giving them away
or selling them for $20. The rumor mill of over priced M1911/A1's.
-g
Old 02-21-2018, 4:20 PM
Calguns Addict

It's the hoops you need to jump through that turns most off.
I get emails from CMP have a FFL and can't buy anything from them without joining a club and having them make the purchase on my behalf.
Too many hoops for those that work alot.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 02-21-2018 at 4:43 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
I get emails from CAMP have a FFL and can't buy anything from them without joining a club and having them make the purchase on my behalf.
Yes, its $14 to join a club,you send your payment in with info, whats the big deal? People who think there are so called hoops to jump through never really researched what it takes to purchase from CMP
Old 02-21-2018, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

It's $30 to join and you need to go to the meetings and shoot at there events were I live.
What state are you in for $14? I ask because the CMP website shows $25
www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by LynnJr; 02-21-2018 at 5:02 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 4:57 PM

This is what I mean, you never really bothered to look into what it takes to meet requirements
Anyone can join the M1 Collectors Club $14 per year http://www.m1collectorsclub.com/
Old 02-21-2018, 5:03 PM

if a person cannot meet the incredibly easy requirements of CMP they do not deserve to own a Garand sourced from the government of the United States.

such a person can find one on GB.

the entitlement stinks.
Old 02-21-2018, 5:04 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I get emails from CMP have a FFL and can't buy anything from them without joining a club and having them make the purchase on my behalf.

You're right of course. Way too many hoops. Just not worth it. Tell all your friends.

Don't know what I was thinking, no one wants to deal with this CMP crap. PIA!

Think how much easier it would be if they just mailed a gun to everyone in the phone book. None of those dozens of forms or $35 fees or a freakin Notary furcrissakes.

CMP is for suckers for sure.
California Rifle and Pistol Association - http://crpa.org/membership/
Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - https://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Org.../SIIB/CCW.aspx
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 02-21-2018, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This is what I mean, you never really bothered to look into what it takes to meet requirements
Anyone can join the M1 Collectors Club $14 per year http://www.m1collectorsclub.com/
A check, money order, or credit card information to pay the first annual dues of $30.00.

This is what the CMP told me and then you needed to shoot in several $50 matches and go to the local Round Table Pizza parlor for meetings to buy 22 Rimfire ammo.
So YES I did look into it and YES I answered the OP's question of why people don't join.
If in your area it is easier great but it ain't that way everywhere and I put more rounds downrange than most posting here have ever seen.
And the CMP just left our range because in northern California you have to have baffles if you want to stay open which means no standing.
www.unlimitedrange.org

Last edited by LynnJr; 02-21-2018 at 5:17 PM..
Old 02-21-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
A check, money order, or credit card information to pay the first annual dues of $30.00.

This is what the CMP told me and then you needed to shoot in several $50 matches and go to the local Round Table Pizza parlor for meetings to buy 22 Rimfire ammo.
So YES I did look into it and YES I answered the OP's question of why people don't join.
If in your area it is easier great but it ain't that way everywhere and I put more rounds downrange than most posting here have ever seen.
And the CMP just left our range because in northern California you have to have baffles if you want to stay open which means no standing.
lolwut

Last I checked you just need to prove you know how to handle a firearm and for some it is as simple as going to a range and having an ro sign off. Some have claimed to use fsc as proof. Or just get ffl03, it's what I did.

As for standing and shooting unless another law changed I spent a day at Sunnyvale gun club and they have no problem shooting offhand. Last time I was at Richmond it was fine to shoot off hand as long as it looked like you knew what you are doing. As for CMP not holding matches here I think that could be a legit gripe against them.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:

I give up, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink
Old 03-12-2018, 6:59 PM

I would like to buy just one M1 Garand for myself. A decent shooter, vintage or era doesn't matter . Just picky for a walnut stock, why ? They are the nicest looking and I can refinished the sections to look grain fresh . On a piece of American history.