Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-28-2018, 7:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
It's our side always giving up something, while the other side gives up NOTHING
So true.
Old 03-04-2018, 6:34 AM

No NICS fix! We have fought hard to get our Constitutional 2A rights in AZ and resent other states that are willing to compromise our rights because they didn't fight hard enough for their own. If it means no national reciprocity, so be it. Not at our expense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowimpactuser View Post
This is why gun rights donít advance.

Get it through your head:

politicians, red, blue, whatever, hate your gun rights

This is literally the only way to force democrats AND cuckservatives to vote for gun rights.

Oh sure, the NRA gives $$ to Republicans.
Oh sure, your congressperson is avowedly pro-gun.

The proof is in the inaction. The amount of delusion people manage to engage in to explain how itís possible that we have full pro-gun Republicans is mind-blowing.

All congress wants gun control. Only by making them uncomfortable or put on the line will they stand up for to our rights.
Old 03-04-2018, 8:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We already have too many laws.
Old 03-10-2018, 6:31 AM

Old 03-10-2018, 7:33 AM

http://freebeacon.com/issues/nra-bla...ad-house-vote/
Old 05-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC-8) spoke to Breitbart News at the NRA convention in Dallas, Texas, on Friday about the plight of national reciprocity.

Hudson introduced national reciprocity on January 3, 2017Ėday one of the 115th Congress. The legislation languished for nearly a year before conservatives rallied to overcome Speaker Paul Ryanís stonewalling and pass it on December 6, 2017.

Companion legislation was introduced in the Senate on March 1, 2017, but Senate Majority Leader McConnell (R) has not taken it up. It has, therefore, been sitting for more than a year, stalled while the common man eagerly awaits a solution to the cumbersome patchwork of concealed carry laws around the country.
More at:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ra-convention/

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 05-05-2018, 2:10 PM

I haven't said this for a while so, it bears repeating: this will not happen! As he said in the video, we need 9 democraps to vote for this and none of them are willing to jepordize their standing their party to vote for this. So, it won't happen.

That is my opinion.

It CAN happen, but all of the gun owners need to get out there and write their senators telling them that we want it. If 5 million people were to write their senators asking them to approve this, it would happen. Alas, we've become too comfortable and too lazy to even write to our senators. Therefore, I predict this won't happen.

I have written my senators. Will you?

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 05-05-2018, 4:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
I haven't said this for a while so, it bears repeating: this will not happen! As he said in the video, we need 9 democraps to vote for this and none of them are willing to jepordize their standing their party to vote for this. So, it won't happen.

That is my opinion.

It CAN happen, but all of the gun owners need to get out there and write their senators telling them that we want it. If 5 million people were to write their senators asking them to approve this, it would happen. Alas, we've become too comfortable and too lazy to even write to our senators. Therefore, I predict this won't happen.

I have written, and they seemed absolutely thrilled to hear from me
Old 05-05-2018, 4:21 PM

Quote:

That is my opinion.

Feinstein and Harris? you"re kidding, right?
Old 05-05-2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb78 View Post
I have written, and they seemed absolutely thrilled to hear from me
Good for you. The more we write, the better our chances they'll listen.

In the movie The Shawshank Redemption, the main character wrote a letter a week for 2 years before he got any response. They gave him $200 to work on a library. Rather than give up, he increased it to two letters a week. It took several more years, but they eventually gave in and gave him a stipend of $500/year for the library.

I know that's fiction. The point is, elected officials operate on perception. If it's their perception that if they ignore us, we'll go away, then they won't work for us. However, if we (by we I mean a million of us) write a letter a week, they'll start to take notice. They'll do that because they'll think, "If we're getting a million letters, that means there are 100 million who think this way."

That's what it will take. If we do that, we'll see positive change. Failing that, we'll get what we've always gotten, brushed off.

www.BlackRiverTraining.com
Old 05-11-2018, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Thanks. See the article linked in my post #228 above for what I think. tl;dr there are a lot of "moving pieces", so it is difficult to predict what will happen to nat'l recip this year. IMO, even Trump's behavior or popularity may factor into what the Senate does or doesn't do. I've still got another 6.25 years on my FL CCW, so I'm good regardless. Won't have to apply with the rush should it pass this year or next (assuming antis don't gain ground in the Nov election).

Here's your video embedded. Notice how he predicts the vote won't be until Oct, the month before the elections....

Just a reminder that this former president of the NRA predicted a vote sometime before Oct, so that means sometime in the next 4 and a half months or 20 weeks, whichever sounds shorter to you.

Old 05-11-2018, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

That is my opinion.

Actually we are about 3-4 votes short because there are dem senators who will vote for reciprocity. 9 is not accurate at all
Old 05-20-2018, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I wonder if those Dems in Trump won states will, given all the shootings, vote against nat'l reciprocity (in Sept or Oct) and lose their reelection bids in Nov, making passing nat'l reciprocity a sure thing in 2019, and make it more likely that the bill that passes will be the House version (non-resident CCWs get reciprocity too), rather than the Senate version (no national reciprocity for non-resident CCWs).

Old 05-21-2018, 9:36 AM

Quote:
I wonder if those Dems in Trump won states will, given all the shootings, vote against nat'l reciprocity (in Sept or Oct) and lose their reelection bids in Nov, making passing nat'l reciprocity a sure thing in 2019, and make it more likely that the bill that passes will be the House version (non-resident CCWs get reciprocity too), rather than the Senate version (no national reciprocity for non-resident CCWs).
I expect it to be a game of whack a mole. Schumer will allow the Dems to vote for it as long as they don't reach 60. Someone may have to "Take one for the team" though if the GOP gains momentum.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I expect it to be a game of whack a mole. Schumer will allow the Dems to vote for it as long as they don't reach 60. Someone may have to "Take one for the team" though if the GOP gains momentum.
I suspect this is the democrats game plan and will be their method for defeating national reciprocity this term. A similar plan worked under Obama when the democrats held the Senate Majority. We were 3 votes short of getting 60 but it was orchestrated to fail. Even though this was unfortunate for us, it was still a good sign for the long term. It meant 7-8 democrats had to vote for national reciprocity because that issue could have hurt them when they were up for re-election. If voting "no" had been politically advantageous for them or a non-issue, that would have been a very bad sign for us.

The political orchestra is seen less with federal votes on AWB though. The year democrats had the most Americans on their side was right after Sandy Hook. They were 20 votes short in the senate, although I'd argue 19 because Reid voted no so that he could call another vote in the political tides shifted. What's interesting though is we had democrats vote against AWB in New Mexico, Colorado, and a few other blue states where voting 'No' on national reciprocity probably won't hurt them, because it does not effect their constituents who have shall-issue anyways.

Quote:
Here is a list of Democrats who are running in 2018 senate midterms, live in blue states, and have GOP dominated state legislatures and/or pro-2a laws.
  • Tina Smith (MN)- GOP legislature and Pro-2A laws
  • Bill Nelson (FL)- GOP legislature and Pro-2A laws (take into consider post-parkland anti-2a sentiment in FL though) (NAY)
  • *Joe Donnely (IN)- GOP legislature and strong 2A culture
  • Angus King (ME)- GOP legislature and Pro-2a culture (caucuses with the democrats although technically independent) (NAY)
  • Debbie Stabenow (MI)- GOP legislature and Pro-2a laws (NAY)
  • Claire McCaskill (MO)- GOP legislature and strong 2A-culture (NAY)
  • *Jon Tester (MT)- GOP legislature and strong 2A-culture
  • Martin Heinrich (NM)- Moderate/strong 2a-laws
  • *Heidi Heitkamp (ND)-GOP legislature and strong 2A-culture
  • Sherrod Brown (OH)- GOP legislature and pro-2a laws (NAY)
  • Bob Casey Jr. (PA)- GOP legislature and pro-2a laws (NAY)
  • Tim Kaine (VA)- Purple Legislature and pro-2a laws (NAY)
  • *Joe Manchin (WV)- GOP legislature and strong 2a-culture
  • Tammy Baldwin (WI)- GOP legislature and pro-2a laws (NAY)

The names with * in front of them are people who will vote for National Reciprocity almost certainly. It will be hard for one of them to fall on their sword for the sake of the party because these state's voters will take anti-2a sentiment seriously.

The names with (NAY) also voted against National Reciprocity S.649 in 2013 (5-6 months after Sandy Hook)

Debbie Stabenow (MI), Sherrod Brown (OH), Bob Casey Jr. (PA), and Tammy Baldwin (WI) have typically voted against 2A legislation and live in states where they are really going to have to think twice before voting against reciprocity right before 2018 midterms. The real question is if they actually buy in/will run on the liberal media's bull**** instead of the actual state of unemployment rates, the economy, and geopolitics. I listed these four states because they have been traditionally blue leaning, purple, or in the case of ohio has gone red since the 2012 election AND voted for Trump in 2018. That's huge in MI, PA, and WI considering no one republican had won those states since Reagan.

Our best bet to pick up a blue seat and a pro-2a vote is Missouri. This woman is as anti-2a as any liberal although she spews the "I support the 2nd amendment , but....". Some states traditionally have Senators who do not align with how it votes for president or state legislatures. Montana, Indiana, North Dakota, West Virginia, etc. Missouri is one of these and I don't think she will get re-elected.

If the current National Reciprocity Bill came to a vote in the senate we would likely end up with ~57-58 votes again. We would have 60 but several politicians like Tim Kaine who voted for reciprocity in 2013 have announced they would change their vote. We also have junior senator Maggie Hassan (NH) who voted against constitutional carry as governor, but lives in a pro-2a state with a strong gun culture, GOP legislature, and is almost purple/slightly blue for US Senate elections. Because The People often vote for a US senator who does not match the state legislature, someone like Hassan is going to have to think twice before voting against Reciprocity. Voters in this New Hampshire are actually effected by National Reciprocity when they want to travel to New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Maryland, New Jersey, etc.

If we can win three blue states where politicians have to think twice or voted Nay in 2013, then we have a real chance of passing Reciprocity. It won't be a for sure thing, but the democrats won't be able to orchestrate a vote similar to S. 649 back in 13'.

I also suspect if SCOTUS released another pro-2a opinion regarding "assault weapons" or carry, many of the blue state senators above would vote for reciprocity without fear from their own party, because "the issue has already been settled and it's time to move on"- similar to GOP politicians after Obergefell v. Hodges.

edit- I think I'll make this into a spread sheet for easier viewing.

I threw in some gun laws by state for reference. The last column where it says N/A or * is my personal opinion. Y and N in that column are pretty accurate. I'd be very surprised if one of those changed their vote.

Last edited by wireless; 05-21-2018 at 5:09 PM..
Old 06-05-2018, 5:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Awesome write up, wireless!

So the bottom line is that passing it this year is possible, but a long shot?

FWIW Mitch McConnell has said he's cutting the August break of the Senate down from the entire month to just the first week of August to have more time to confirm judges and to pass legislation -- funding/budget bills, but maybe Nat'l Recip too?

Old 06-06-2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:

FWIW Mitch McConnell has said he's cutting the August break of the Senate down from the entire month to just the first week of August to have more time to confirm judges and to pass legislation -- funding/budget bills, but maybe Nat'l Recip too?
Thanks wireless! That was an epic post that you obviously invested some serious time into producing.

I think there is a chance we could pass National Reciprocity in the Senate this year, however the KEY is having THE VOTE regardless of the expected outcome. This would place several Senate Dem's up for re-election this year on big time defense and assist us in flipping these seats to RKBA Senators!
Old 06-06-2018, 7:45 AM

Quote:

Gotta flip a few Dems that have been NO votes. If it's close to the election and the Dems are down in the polls, that's the time to spring the vote on them.
Old 06-06-2018, 8:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

No matter even if you do. The senate will have nothing to do with this, period.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Gotta flip a few Dems that have been NO votes. If it's close to the election and the Dems are down in the polls, that's the time to spring the vote on them.
Why would you want to help Democrats in the polls?
Old 06-06-2018, 4:57 PM

This would be great. Next let's get a repeal of ridiculous "AW" & barrel length & AOW definitions.

EDIT: And hearing protection act to allow barrel mufflers!