Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-21-2017, 10:52 PM

Default Ventura County CCW

I may be moving to Ventura County in the near future. Everything I read is that it is a friendly county for CCW. "Self Defense" is good enough cause for need. Is this true? Any advice for getting a CCW when the time comes.

Danke!

"I never killed a man, but I have read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction." Mark Twain

"The Second Amendment is not “old”; it is timeless. It is not “unclear”; it is obvious. It is not “embarrassing”; it is fundamental. And, as much as anything else, it is a vital indicator of the correct relationship between the citizen and the state and a reminder of the unbreakable sovereignty of the individual."
Old 01-21-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
I may be moving to Ventura County in the near future. Everything I read is that it is a friendly county for CCW. "Self Defense" is good enough cause for need. Is this true? Any advice for getting a CCW when the time comes.

Danke!
Head over to the CCW section, there is a county by county breakdown and threads for each...
Old 01-21-2017, 11:49 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky c View Post
Head over to the CCW section, there is a county by county breakdown and threads for each...
^^THIS!^^

Short answer is Yes, self defense is all that is required. However, you still have to pass the background check, the morals check and be prepared to wait 11 to 13 months before you see your permit.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 01-22-2017, 1:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

[QUOTE=
Short answer is Yes, self defense is all that is required. However, you still have to pass the background check, the morals check and be prepared to wait 11 to 13 months before you see your permit.[/QUOTE]

Fun

http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
Old 01-22-2017, 2:07 PM

Read?

I think you mean the YouTube videos you watched.

I think we all seen that guy tracking his whole process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 8:04 PM

When I turned mine in 4 months ago I asked the Sheriff who took my application what I should put as my reason, She said "self defense" is all you need.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:05 PM

Thanks! I am so close to the Ventura border I can taste the freedom. Trying to buy just on the other side.

"I never killed a man, but I have read many an obituary with a great deal of satisfaction." Mark Twain

"The Second Amendment is not “old”; it is timeless. It is not “unclear”; it is obvious. It is not “embarrassing”; it is fundamental. And, as much as anything else, it is a vital indicator of the correct relationship between the citizen and the state and a reminder of the unbreakable sovereignty of the individual."
Old 01-27-2017, 11:57 PM

I was just approved to take the training class by the VCSD. My timeline, if anyone is interested, was:
1) April 2016 call for appointment
2) August 2016 go to VCSD appointment, get fingerprinted
3) January 2017 go to VCSD for the interview, received approval to proceed with the training class

I was told at the August appt that it would be about 10 months before I was contacted, but this was not the case. And my reason for carry? Self defense for myself and my family. That's it.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2017, 8:04 AM

Thanks for the timeline details! 2 Years - OMG! At what point did you have to provide proof of residence?

Old 01-28-2017, 8:44 AM

Oh not two years, for me it will be maybe a year from first phone call to (hopefully) issuance. I provided proof of residence at the interview last week via a copy of my apartment lease agreement and a utility bill.
Old 01-28-2017, 1:02 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more70 View Post
I was just approved to take the training class by the VCSD. My timeline, if anyone is interested, was:
3) January 2017 go to VCSD for the interview, received approval to proceed with the training class
Did they approve you durring the interview or after?

You'll have your license by late Feb at the latest. Once they tell you that you can take the class things move pretty quickly.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 01-29-2017, 10:11 AM

I was approved during the interview, and told that I would receive my written approval in the next 3-4 weeks. I heard from a friend that the interview was going to be a pain in the behind but the sergeant that met with me was very cordial and eager to answer any questions I had. I think the whole thing lasted 10-15 minutes. I got there 15 minutes early and was seen earlier than my appointment.
Old 01-29-2017, 7:36 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was approved during the interview, and told that I would receive my written approval in the next 3-4 weeks. I heard from a friend that the interview was going to be a pain in the behind but the sergeant that met with me was very cordial and eager to answer any questions I had. I think the whole thing lasted 10-15 minutes. I got there 15 minutes early and was seen earlier than my appointment.
Thats good to know. Ive heard nothing but good things about VCSDs interview process (except for those few who thought they could get away with not telling the truth) so it's good to know my experience 2 years ago is still how things are being done!

Old 02-01-2017, 5:37 PM

What kind of questions do they ask at the interview?
Old 02-01-2017, 7:30 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

On my original interview it was simply a review of the application I submitted with a chance to change any answer I had provided. They discussed my answers to the questions to make sure I understood the question thoroughly and to make sure I understood what they were looking for. They then briefly explained the CCW process and that was it.

My renewal interview should be coming up in the next month or so, so I'll see what they one is like.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:59 PM

Pretty sure that the interview is somewhat tailored to you based on the info in your application. For example, if you have questionable credit/finances, it may focus on that (like for a denied friend of mine). It may focus on your contacts with LEOs and why a certain event transpired. I guess just go in with honesty in mind and let the interviewer make the decision as to your worthiness, because if you try to evade answers you will likely be denied.
Old 02-02-2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
On my original interview it was simply a review of the application I submitted with a chance to change any answer I had provided. They discussed my answers to the questions to make sure I understood the question thoroughly and to make sure I understood what they were looking for. They then briefly explained the CCW process and that was it.

My renewal interview should be coming up in the next month or so, so I'll see what they one is like.
Quote:
Pretty sure that the interview is somewhat tailored to you based on the info in your application. For example, if you have questionable credit/finances, it may focus on that (like for a denied friend of mine). It may focus on your contacts with LEOs and why a certain event transpired. I guess just go in with honesty in mind and let the interviewer make the decision as to your worthiness, because if you try to evade answers you will likely be denied.
How do you think three speeding tickets will look? Last one was a few years ago. Only one is "officially" on my record.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:10 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

You're probably ok with 1 on your DMV record.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 AM

I imagine the dept has access to ALL your records, but I don't think a few tickets over the years means much. I had received at least two speeding tickets in the past (both off my record) and nothing was mentioned.
Old 02-04-2017, 6:45 PM

Quote:

I was told at the August appt that it would be about 10 months before I was contacted, but this was not the case. And my reason for carry? Self defense for myself and my family. That's it.

Good luck!
1] June 2016 - Called VCSO to make appt.
2) Aug 2016 - Submitted application and fingerprints
3) Sept 2016 - VCSO called back for redo of fingerprints (eczema obscurred prints) Was told they would do a background check using my name.
4) Feb 3 2017- VCSO called to arrange interview appt
5) Feb 15 2017 - interview

If I'm approved during the interview, do I have to wait for the approval letter before I can sign up for the training course?
Old 02-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocean View Post
If I'm approved during the interview, do I have to wait for the approval letter before I can sign up for the training course?
They will tell you when you can proceed with the training....

Old 02-04-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
1] June 2016 - Called VCSO to make appt.
2) Aug 2016 - Submitted application and fingerprints
3) Sept 2016 - VCSO called back for redo of fingerprints (eczema obscurred prints) Was told they would do a background check using my name.
4) Feb 3 2017- VCSO called to arrange interview appt
5) Feb 15 2017 - interview

They can't officially approve you in the interview since it's the Sheriff who has the final say. With that said, I did my qualification a few days after the interview without the approval letter knowing that I might be out $$$ for the class if I was denied. It ended up saving a bit of time since they don't have to wait for the results after you do qual.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:51 PM

[QUOTE=baggss;19619656]They will tell you when you can proceed with the training....[/QUOTE

Great! Hope that happens before they send the approval letter.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irx View Post
They can't officially approve you in the interview since it's the Sheriff who has the final say. With that said, I did my qualification a few days after the interview without the approval letter knowing that I might be out $$$ for the class if I was denied. It ended up saving a bit of time since they don't have to wait for the results after you do qual.
So, when people say they received approval during the interview, what do they mean? I'm so close to my interview now, sure would like to know what to expect.
Old 02-05-2017, 1:41 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Great! Hope that happens before they send the approval letter.
From what I have seen, it won't. You'll get the letter that says you are approved and to proceed with the training. You then take the training, make an appointment to drop off the paperwork, and they will send you another letter telling you they have your qualification paperwork (they need info/paperwork from the instructor as well as what you give them, but it may depend on the trainer) and to call and make an appointment to complete the process and pick up your license.

You will go in, they will have you verify all of your info AND the SNs/info for the weapons you list on your license (this is IMPORTANT so have the SNs with you), they take your picture, print the hard card and you get both licenses and walk out the door.

The final sequence of events moves only as fast as you take your training. The faster the better. You can take the training before, but understand if you don't get approved, you may be out $125-$400 depending on where you choose to do the training.

Last edited by baggss; 02-05-2017 at 1:43 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
So, when people say they received approval during the interview, what do they mean? I'm so close to my interview now, sure would like to know what to expect.
Mine "approval" was like this:
Me: Can I take my qualification course before I receive the letter?
Detective: We cannot recommend to take the qualification course until after you receive the approval letter. *WINK WINK* I don't see anything alarming so wait for the letter. *WINK WINK*

This was my experience a few months ago. I'd personally schedule the qualification after the interview depending on how you think it went and the detective thinks it went. Also, you have to be fine with "losing" $$$ if you get denied.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Can you begin before living there?

Anyone know if it is OK to begin the process before moving there?

E.g. I buy a house in Ventura County and plan to rent it out for 2 years and then move in. Do I have to wait until I move in to begin? Or can I get the ball rolling a few months before hand?

How far into the process will I need to show proof of residence?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
Anyone know if it is OK to begin the process before moving there?

E.g. I buy a house in Ventura County and plan to rent it out for 2 years and then move in. Do I have to wait until I move in to begin? Or can I get the ball rolling a few months before hand?

How far into the process will I need to show proof of residence?

Thanks!
From what I understand, you need proof of residence from the get go. All that info is asked on the application.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicxk23 View Post
From what I understand, you need proof of residence from the get go. All that info is asked on the application.
You have to actually reside in the county, not just own property.

Old 02-08-2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Written letter came in the mail today! I thought it would say "you're approved to train" but it simply said the background investigation phase is complete and now I need to submit the training course and firearms qualification completion documents. So I guess that's the same thing
Old 02-08-2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Written letter came in the mail today! I thought it would say "you're approved to train" but it simply said the background investigation phase is complete and now I need to submit the training course and firearms qualification completion documents. So I guess that's the same thing

Yes...it is. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2017, 7:47 PM

They have detectives that sometimes do a property search, talk to neighbors etc....I wouldn't try to get a ccw in Ventura unless you live here.....
Old 02-10-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar10 View Post
They have detectives that sometimes do a property search, talk to neighbors etc....I wouldn't try to get a ccw in Ventura unless you live here.....
It is mandatory that you are a resident of Ventura County to get a CCW here, according to the VCSD CCW Policy on their website. If you are saying that someone from out of the area should not bother applying, you are correct
Old 02-11-2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicxk23 View Post
What kind of questions do they ask at the interview?
They basically ask every question that is the on the application. Then if you have had any arrests,or traffic tickets and ask you to explain in your own words. Pretty much just trying to get you to answer something verbally different then on the written.
Old 02-11-2017, 8:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Congrats! The hard part is over!
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 01-29-2018, 10:45 AM

Hey guys, Im new to the site. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for CCW in Ventura County.

I put in my application on December 16th, 2017.

Just finished my interview today, January 29th 2018.
(lasted about 15 min) Yes Sir, No Sir to all questions. It was a breeze.

Now I wait for my letter in the mail to show up.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805local View Post

Nice! Sounds like the speed on their end has greatly improved.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

You must be a resident when applying, which means that Ventura County is your primary residence. The issue that no one has touched upon is WHEN ARE YOU APPLYING.

It used to be that you did not sign your application until the time of your initial interview, which can be months after you begin the application process. That suggests that you need not be a resident when you begin the process, but only when you turn in your application. However, Ventura County might consider things differently and require to be a resident when you first start the process. You might want to address this to VCSO. If your interview happens as quickly as did that of Back4more70's did, you best not do anything until you have actually moved into the county.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Nice! Sounds like the speed on their end has greatly improved.
They said they hired a bunch of old retired officers/vets to handle the load. Seems to be very beneficial! Now the real waiting game starts.
Old 01-30-2018, 2:45 PM
Some Yahoo on the Web
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hey guys, Im new to the site. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents for CCW in Ventura County.

(lasted about 15 min) Yes Sir, No Sir to all questions. It was a breeze.

Now I wait for my letter in the mail to show up.
Quote:
They said they hired a bunch of old retired officers/vets to handle the load. Seems to be very beneficial!
This is amazingly awesome news!