Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-06-2018, 1:26 PM

Default Is the Smith & Wesson M&P good to lean on?

My buddy's kid (17) is wanting to get into shooting more. he has gone out a few times and has fired off a few 100 rounds. My buddy is thinking of getting an M&P so his kid can learn the ins and outs of the gun and how to maintain and clean the fire arm. Looking to see what you thoughts are on this and If you would recommend the M&P or another handgun.
Old 06-06-2018, 1:28 PM

"Lean on me...)
It's a nice gun. Simple but a little more involved when disassembling compared to let's say a glock.
I would have time learn on the full size.
Old 06-06-2018, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

As good as any, you’ll get a lot of this gun is better then that gun. Everybody has their favorites, but the reality is M&Ps are good service type handguns. Easy to shoot, easy to field strip and easy to clean.
Old 06-06-2018, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

The only thing bad I've noticed on my M&P is the slide stop starts to wear on the plastic mag follower preventing mags from dropping free when the mag release is pressed.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 06-06-2018 at 2:34 PM..
Old 06-06-2018, 2:14 PM
Vendor/Retailer

M&P Shield, XD9, Glock 19, maybe a Beretta? M9, 92FS, or PX4 Storm are good. I have all of these in stock if he is in the area, come see what fits!

TRP Full Rail in stock! $1399!

Ruger PCC (not the PC9), threaded barrel, only $475 in stock!

Ruger Precision Rifles! 6.5 Creedmore $1,099, .22 $385, .338 $1,499!

CZ SP-01 in stock, $619.99
CZ Scorpion EVO 3 black available, $999!
CZ Tactical Sport 9mm, in stock, $1,199!! .40 available $1,249! Only 1 available in 40!
#01171, #01172

Franklin Armory CA7 AR pistol in stock!

Main thread

website
Old 06-06-2018, 2:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Glock 19 or 17.

At least rent one or both first before deciding.

Pretty sure Iron Sights has them for rent.
Old 06-06-2018, 2:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Glock! They're on the roster too.
Old 06-06-2018, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

My M&P 9 is a dedicated range gun because I had some malfunctions (failure to reset). I had to swap the sear spring to an aftermarket Apex spring to eliminate this issue. I don't trust this gun like I do with my Glocks, Sig, and H&K.

Last edited by teflondog; 06-06-2018 at 2:23 PM..
Old 06-06-2018, 2:36 PM

Thanks for the input, My buddy and I are planing to go out this weekend and rent a M&P and see how it feels we both have used Glocks a number of times and go from there.
Old 07-14-2018, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSchoon View Post
Thanks for the input, My buddy and I are planing to go out this weekend and rent a M&P and see how it feels we both have used Glocks a number of times and go from there.
Paul, what did you get? I lean towards the Glock or the Beretta in 9mm for new shooters. Both basic handguns that are easy to use. Ask any Marine, soldier, sailor or airman.
Old 06-06-2018, 2:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've had 5 M&Ps and 4 out of 5 were 100% reliable and easy to strip as I've put thousands of rounds thru each of them. The 1 bad M&P I had was when quality control didn't exist after Sandy Hook, so I wouldn't count that against the M&Ps of today.

I will say that the grip does get slippery and that is for both M&Ps & Gen 3 Glocks (non-RTFs). Gen 4 grip is a better, but gripping the Glock RTF versions are probably the best for me. This is something that can be easily resolved by sticking on Talon grips.
Old 06-06-2018, 3:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I guess also it's a little more expensive, but a CZ 75B is a nice option, Sigs are always good (P226 is easy to shoot) but more spendy.

TRP Full Rail in stock! $1399!

Ruger PCC (not the PC9), threaded barrel, only $475 in stock!

Ruger Precision Rifles! 6.5 Creedmore $1,099, .22 $385, .338 $1,499!

CZ SP-01 in stock, $619.99
CZ Scorpion EVO 3 black available, $999!
CZ Tactical Sport 9mm, in stock, $1,199!! .40 available $1,249! Only 1 available in 40!
#01171, #01172

Franklin Armory CA7 AR pistol in stock!

Main thread

website
Old 06-06-2018, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

So we're clear, are you referring to the now off-roster M&P or the M&P Shield? Different categories of pistols.
Old 06-06-2018, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
So we're clear, are you referring to the now off-roster M&P or the M&P Shield? Different categories of pistols.
This. Being off roster is not an insurmountable obstacle, it's just paying more for...the same thing.

And if I had to lean on a gun, I'd lean on a rifle.
Old 06-06-2018, 4:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A revolver? Or does your buddy want the kid to know semi autos?

A revolver would teach good trigger technique (in double action).

If semi, then I'd go with Glock 17/19. It's harder to shoot than a 1911 so it will magnify poor trigger technique... for a 17 year old kid with a 17 year old kid's ability to adapt and learn new things, I'd think that would give him a great foundation. The Glock safe action requires good technique and is plenty accurate. In fact a Glock 34 might be an even better trainer for using the irons, since the longer sight radius requires a slightly steadier hand.

Oh, I suppose I should also add in .... A Ruger Mk(something) or 22/45.
... a nice .22 semi auto as a starter without dealing with the loud flinch inducing bang of a centerfire cartridge.

My recommendations anyway.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:44 AM
Calguns Addict

I compete with an M&P 9. No problems whatsoever after years and thousands of rounds. Damn good gun. But put some APEX upgrades in it. That's the only drawback - the stock trigger isn't that good.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-07-2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I compete with an M&P 9. No problems whatsoever after years and thousands of rounds. Damn good gun. But put some APEX upgrades in it. That's the only drawback - the stock trigger isn't that good.

Didn't it fall off the roster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-07-2018, 3:15 AM

Does no one start with 22s anymore?

As far as center-fire handguns go I think I would have started at a great advantage with a 4 in+ full lug 38/357 revolver. The DA pull makes it a bit harder to anticipate the recoil and the weight helps to reduce perceived recoil. Lots of ammo options from bunny fart to hand cannon.

I took the Shield 9mm to the range for the first time in a while. I forgot how snappy and jumpy the rig is. It's not fun as a range toy. I'm of the mind that to be proficient with firearms you have to enjoy them. Light subcompacts are not up there on the fun factor. However, learn to shoot those well and everything else is a walk in the park.
Old 06-07-2018, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

The M&P is a fantastic pistol to learn on. For a polymer pistol it is extremely low recoiling and if you reload can make it a very soft shooter.

At 17 years old your kid will have no problems learning on a 9mm. A 22LR pistol such as a Browning buckmark will also be a great alternative or even both when more trigger time is needed.
Old 06-07-2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I took the Shield 9mm to the range for the first time in a while. I forgot how snappy and jumpy the rig is. It's not fun as a range toy. I'm of the mind that to be proficient with firearms you have to enjoy them. Light subcompacts are not up there on the fun factor. However, learn to shoot those well and everything else is a walk in the park.
That's exactly what I was gonna say--and the exact word I was gonna use to describe the Shield (snappy). For handguns, I made the mistake of starting my daughter on my Shield, and it's really put her off handguns.

I agree with the idea of a .22 or a heavy-ish .357 using .38 non-+p ammo (and like you said, for learning trigger control too).
Old 06-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfreshdope View Post
Didn't it fall off the roster?
Yes.

But I'm assuming the OP's friend is a LEO.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Moscow, Democratic People's Republik of Kaliforniazakstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post

I have manipulated several M&P's over the years. I came across one of the earliest models and the trigger was absolutely terrible. The break has heavy, like "I have to think about applying additional pressure" heavy.

Luckily, it is inexpensive to upgrade to the latest generation's trigger systems if one does not want to go aftermarket. Pro Sear with updated H-Trigger bar and Slide Stop, maybe $60-80.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
<snip>
Luckily, it is inexpensive to upgrade to the latest generation's trigger systems if one does not want to go aftermarket. Pro Sear with updated H-Trigger bar and Slide Stop, maybe $60-80.
Yep, Did this to my FS. Later added the ported CORE slide kit which came with the USB. Still don’t care much for the hinged trigger but otherwise it pretty nice and all S&W.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:57 AM

I personally cannot get on board with the giant LCI eyesore.
For on-roster, semi-auto, I would say Glock or maybe XD. Going small cal. I would say maybe a Walther P22.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
My buddy's kid (17) is wanting to get into shooting more. he has gone out a few times and has fired off a few 100 rounds. My buddy is thinking of getting an M&P so his kid can learn the ins and outs of the gun and how to maintain and clean the fire arm. Looking to see what you thoughts are on this and If you would recommend the M&P or another handgun.
Welcome to Calguns!
Old 06-07-2018, 3:10 PM

M&P is as good as any other plastic gun to learn on.

.22 is ok, but as a 17 year old, he'll get bored with it quick.

Unless the kid has an interest, don't waste his time with a revolver. If he wants to shoot one, great. Otherwise why bother? He won't enjoy it and will end up shooting it single action, learning nothing.
Old 06-07-2018, 3:44 PM

Yes. I like that the M&P doesn't require you to pull the trigger to field strip while other poly guns do. I think this is a huge safety benefit if you are just learning. Like others have said, the stock trigger leaves a little to desired, but mine wasn't horrible.

I would also look at a CZ75 as I think the ergonomics are fantastic compared to any of my polys (i have M&P, XD, G19, Sig). Plus the added weight reduces felt recoil....but they are more expensive and a little harder to clean.
Old 07-15-2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahqtoo View Post
Yes. I like that the M&P doesn't require you to pull the trigger to field strip while other poly guns do. I think this is a huge safety benefit if you are just learning.
I just don’t understand this logic. If you learn proper safety you always clear and double check clear before handling, cleaning, or field stripping any weapon. Why would this be an issue?

That said I don’t own an M&P but have shot a few. I think it’s a fine first handgun.
Old 06-08-2018, 8:12 AM

Glock 9mm variants are a good way to start. The M&P 2.0 is a great gun too.

Ever consider starting the kid off with a revolver though. Learning the difference between double and single action can be an important lesson.
Old 07-14-2018, 4:28 PM

M&P's are really good, I'd recommend though to see if you guys can go out and test a few, try a sig, a glock, a 1911, a M&P, maybe a beretta. Test them out, and see what you like, but more importantly, what your buddies kid likes the feel of in his hand.
Old 07-14-2018, 4:37 PM

Glocks are great but for a first time shooter i dont recommend it. The Sprinngfield Xd 4inch would be a better choice over a gen 3 glock. The xd offers a grip saftey, slide and chamber indicator, and like the glock a trigger saftey. The xd also offers front and rear serations, a 3 dot sight picture, and ambi mag release. The most important thing is the XD has no finger grooves, so a new shooter will beable to learn how to properly and comfortably hold the handgun. .
Old 07-14-2018, 6:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'd say no to M&P or any other striker fired gun.

If you want to teach math, teach them math the right way first, then give them the calculator.
A 17 year old is not a kid. Should be taught on a full steel gun with external safety. Once he/she learns how to handle that, shooting with Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, and the like will be trivial.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2018, 7:52 PM

Great fun to learn on. An ideal scenario used by Rogers School and others is get the basics down with the MP-.22 and then when they are competent with that, transition to the MP-9.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not going to get into the, "your first gun should be a .22," debate. The military has literally taught hundreds of thousands of first time shooters on a 45 acp 1911. So it's certainly possible. I say to get the gun that you are most interested in. I think the odds of you practicing and staying with the hobby are greater if you get something that speaks to you. YMMV

So...back to the M&P...it would be an awesome first defensive/9mm gun for someone. High quality. Very reliable. Affordable. There are others too, of course, like a Glock 19. The M&P, however, has better ergonomics and, let's face it, isn't as ugly.

He can also drop an Apex trigger into it when he's ready and it turns a great gun into a "chock full of awesome" gun.

The only possible problem with the M&P is that it's not on the roster. If your buddy lives out of state, then this is a non issue. Otherwise he'll have to buy through private party and a likely inflated price. If he's a CA resident and money is a factor, then look at a Gen 3 Glock 17/19.

Fighter Pilot
Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 AM

The M&P is a good gun, I have both real and airsoft ones, and they feel great in my hand. I love running my airsoft SAI blu M&P with my vr16 avalon. They make an awesome combination.
Old 07-15-2018, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_246 View Post
The M&P is a good gun, I have both real and airsoft ones, and they feel great in my hand. I love running my airsoft SAI blu M&P with my vr16 avalon. They make an awesome combination.
How douse the airsoft one shoot compared to the real thing? I know they kick back but how realistic is it?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
How douse the airsoft one shoot compared to the real thing? I know they kick back but how realistic is it?
It's airsoft, so it's not going to kick much, it's more of a cool effect than anything else... But it's a great platform to start training on, or to practice with since they cost a whole lot less. I also really like the Elite force Glock 17 for training purposes, it is the only fully licensed 1:1 replica Airsoft glock.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Red face

Sure. It's bound to make a better crutch than a firearm.
Old 07-15-2018, 3:50 PM

The is so subjective....shoot it and see if you like it.
Old 07-21-2018, 6:57 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

I, of course, have no opinion on M&Ps... why is everyone looking at me like that?