Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-22-2011, 6:02 PM

Default New gun, Glock 21SF (2nd time)

Just picked up my new Glock 21SF yesterday. I had one previously that I got in a trade but sold it to my brother because I wasn't into reloading at the time and 10 round mags (or 13 rounds) of .45 can get expensive quick.

I've since gotten into reloading and had a case of seller's remorse so I purchased another one. After shooting it, my verdict is that it was a good decision.

Handling the G21 SF is very pleasant. I have medium size hands and the reduced size of the backstrap is a big improvement for me over the standard Glock 21. It's a full size gun so it fills my entire hand but it doesn't feel quite as blocky as the standard G21. I would have to say holding the full size G21SF is more comfortable for me than all the other Glock model sizes.

When I handle the gun it feels very natural and I don't have to adjust my grip to get the gun to aim at what I want. The G21SF points very naturally for me. I've never had issues with the "Glock" grip angle but I noticed right off that it points even more naturally than the compact and subcompact models do. The long sight radius is great and makes me want to shoot at targets further away than other guns with a shorter sight radius. Shooting at targets up close almost feels like cheating with this gun.

I cleaned the entire gun and lubed it before taking it out for it's first session. Out of the box before the cleaning, the recoil spring sounded noisy, rough and raspy when the slide was cycled by hand. A few drops of gun oil on the recoil spring assembly solved that and afterwards the gun cycled very smooth.

Loading the magazines was rather difficult on round 9 and very difficult on the 10th round of each magazine. I used the mag loader to compress the 9th round enough to be able to barely fit the 10th. I'm sure it will loosen up in time, but it definitely made me wish I had standard 13 rounders because I'm sure they wouldn't give me as much of a hassle to fully load.

I shot 120 rounds through the gun and it functioned flawless. No issues to report there. The G21SF was a pleasure to shoot and easy to handle. Recoil is absorbed well by the large frame. It may just be me, but the trigger on this G21SF and the last one I had seem a little easier than other Glocks I have. Accuracy with the gun was very good. I'm no professional shooter but I shot tighter groups easier with this than some of my other guns. Cleaning the gun after shooting was quick and easy like with any Glock.

Upgrades I plan on adding to the G21SF are: night sights, backstrap channel insert, extended slide stop, extended takedown lever and more magazines. Normally when I get a new Glock it's not too big of an occasion because they are all pretty similar. I have a couple compact models and subcompacts. This full size stands out from the rest for me though. I really liked the G17 before when I held one but chose the G19 as the happy medium between full size comfort and concealability. This G21SF is filling the role of a great home defense gun with good comfort and firepower.

Answering a knock on the door late at night would be a little less intimidating with this thing in my hand

Last edited by jdg30; 01-28-2012 at 9:28 AM..
Old 05-22-2011, 6:21 PM

I'm glad you're happy with the new gun. Have you considered a magwell for it? I'd recommend one and for your night sights, heines all the way.
Old 05-22-2011, 8:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice review and beautiful looking 21

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 05-22-2011, 8:21 PM

A bunch of my buddies picked those up and they love it too. Really solved the G21 large grip issue which deters a lot of buyers imo (including me). Keep the mags loaded and they will break in quickly.
Old 05-22-2011, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad you like the gun. I have G21 SF with picatinny rail myself and it's the gun with the most magazines
Old 05-23-2011, 6:42 PM

Great review. I'm getting my g21 on Saturday and really excited about it. I picked up a larger slide release for the 23, but not sure I'm going that direction on the 21. Also bought decal grips which I really like (the rubber, not sand ones). I'm excited you picked this up and can't wait to shoot mine too!
Old 05-23-2011, 7:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the report.
Old 05-23-2011, 7:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

congratulations.

my son loves his G21 SF.
Old 05-23-2011, 9:21 PM

Yeah, just keep loading and properly unloading those magazines (read: shoot the heck out of it), and they'll progressively get easier to fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
oooh weee hot damn this is a dandy rifle mmhmm lets go get some fried taters