Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 06-03-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Seeking Amateur AR Gunsmith

What would be the best way to find a nearby amateur AR gunsmith, someone who has done AR builds at home?

I've heard of lower build parties but is there such a thing as an upper build party?

I'm thinking about doing my first upper build and although there is a wealth of online information I'd sure like to have someone with experience on speed dial in case I get mysef into trouble.

(I'm in the SF south bay area.)
Old 06-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Honestly I'd recommend just buying the tools and having a go at it. It's really very simple.

As i recall all you need is an upper receiver vice block, armorers wrench, torque wrench, roll pin punch, and headspace gauges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's pretty easy with the right tools (good bench-top vise, torque wrench, action block, etc.).
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 06-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Just post up your questions on CG here, there'll be plenty of people to hop on your questions.

Building an upper is very easy, the only hard part is making sure your mount the barrel nut correctly imho...I mean just spend the money on the correct tools though and you'll be fine.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:47 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. I've been watching the videos and reading up in various forums.

(I found this better than the midway videos: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...R-15-Section-1)

You guys make it sound so easy but when I told my wife and friends what I was contemplating they thought I was nuts. There is a huge mental gulf between buying a gun and building one. (I know an AR15 is very standardized.)

Would it make sense to organize upper assembly build parties?
Old 06-03-2015, 1:21 PM

I do not know you personally, so I won't say you or anyone can do it. But you or anyone can learn to do it.

It all depends on what you want to do and how far you want to get into the tools to do it. For instance I am personally an "A" frame guy and while I have the mill and or drill press and jig at home (of course at work) those tools can get expensive fast. Plus you can cant it like a WASR if your not careful.

Even low profiles I taper pin, but if you do not the single dimple is normally on a barrel (I put a second prior to taper pin). Yes I am OCD on my gas block but if you ever had one move on you, you would be too.

Barrel nuts should be torqued three times with a torque wrench and a tool that attaches to it. Rails need special tools sometimes too.

The muzzle device should be put on with a tool like the dpms one (I never use it for the other crud but its the right size to get a muzzle device moving).

The ejection port door I use a Bic ball point pen.

The forward (never needed) assist is done with roll pin and punch from the bottom.

That is about all there is to it other then checking headspace but that "should" have been done by the barrel maker.

Get some one from your local range your cool with the first time to help. You need to know exactly what your building as different rails/gas blocks/muzzle devices need different tools.

PERSONAL NOTE: Even my GF looks at me funny and says stuff when I make guns. For instance on the last personal project I cut the barrel and mag tube on a Mosberg 500, ground down the attachment point, braised it on a new location, cut out the end cap on the mag tube, put the pend cap into the cut mag tube, dimple in the cap in the new location, put the heat shield back on, drilled a hole through the attachment point, use a single heat shield screw through the hole to secure the heat shield, Birds head grip put on.

With all that the only question that was asked from her "how do you know it will shoot and not blow up".
Deland, FL 32724
Phone 386-490-4464
fax 386-490-4890

Last edited by Nathan Krynn; 06-03-2015 at 1:24 PM..
Old 06-03-2015, 3:08 PM

Where are you?
Old 06-03-2015, 3:16 PM

Thanks, Nathan. I wish I had your setup and machine knowledge.

Marquez, south of San Jose between Los Gatos and Saratoga.
Old 06-03-2015, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

While it's a good idea to check headspace, there's no way of setting it without taking the barrel apart. Most people now seem to use free float rails so set screw gas blocks are reasonable, meaning the only special tools you're likely to need are for installing the barrel.

I've assembled a couple uppers, internet instruction only.
Old 06-03-2015, 4:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You can do it. It's really not that hard. Vice block, a barrel nut wrench, and tools you probably already have will suffice.

Take your time, watch the videos before and during assembly, and tape up any place where you might have even a small chance of slipping with a tool/missing with a hammer, and marring the finish.

Good luck

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 06-03-2015, 7:44 PM

The more Youtube videos I watch, the more confident I get. It seems like there are many ways to skin that cat but that's helpful for grasping the essence of the task.
Old 06-03-2015, 8:38 PM

Don't forget the aeroshell 33ms grease for the barrel nut!

All this is super easy if you're mechanically inclined and have the proper tools.
Old 06-03-2015, 9:44 PM

OP
My wife built 2 AR's by herself, you should be able to build one.
Old 06-04-2015, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrivera1 View Post
Don't forget the aeroshell 33ms grease for the barrel nut!

All this is super easy if you're mechanically inclined and have the proper tools.
I would never have presented myself as 'mechanically inclined'. The most mechanical thing I've ever done was rebuild a carborator from a kit back when I was in grad school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crf450rr View Post
My wife built 2 AR's by herself, you should be able to build one.
Well! I won't be outdone by any woman!
Old 06-04-2015, 7:59 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

What's up with the norcalgunners? Can't help a brother out? If it's so simple, why not take a half hour and go over it with him?

Hella lame...

Old 06-04-2015, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
What's up with the norcalgunners? Can't help a brother out? If it's so simple, why not take a half hour and go over it with him?
I did get an offer by PM and I am grateful for all the advice and encouragement.
Old 06-04-2015, 9:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Krynn View Post
It all depends on what you want to do and how far you want to get into the tools to do it. For instance I am personally an "A" frame guy and while I have the mill and or drill press and jig at home (of course at work) those tools can get expensive fast. Plus you can cant it like a WASR if your not careful.

Even low profiles I taper pin, but if you do not the single dimple is normally on a barrel (I put a second prior to taper pin). Yes I am OCD on my gas block but if you ever had one move on you, you would be too.
Detenting and cross-pinning things to barrels is beyond the means of most people without a machine shop.

Lots of people even screw up simple things like installing a barrel nut to perfect alignment so that the gas tube is able to properly float within the key.
I fix all sorts of these things when non-mechanically-inclined people bring me their home built uppers.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 06-04-2015, 9:36 AM

If you get milspec parts, than the tooling recommended is good. Some manufacturers of commercial parts may require proprietary tools.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipser View Post
I did get an offer by PM and I am grateful for all the advice and encouragement.
Sorry. It's just that as great as our online community is here, I expect by 10 posts in you should've received an offer for assitance.

Plus I was just taking the opportunity to rib the other half of the state.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:57 PM

I love how tactical machine chimes in with all the crap machining on there 1911 frame. Poor mag fitment on their 308 lower
Old 06-13-2015, 1:01 AM

I learned on my own. I made a couple mistakes here and there. A blemish or two and bought some tools that didn't work as well as ones I found later. I've built about a dozen of them now and they were all 80% lowers too. You want some help I just moved my shop and can be found tinkering there most evenings working on stuff. Bench space and tools special for the purpose. Shop is in Scotts Valley about 20 minutes from you. I can't do the work for you but can lay you out with what you need and offer advice as I work on various other ****. Be on hand. Weekdays are best 7 to 10pm I have my kids most weekends. PM you want to exchange numbers and set something up.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:44 PM

With the help of DarkSoul (so that's how a torque wrench works!) I replaced my barrel and tested it today at the range. I went from 5" groups at 100 yards to 1" groups.

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement and help!
Old 07-16-2015, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that you got it working better. What barrel was that bad?
Old 07-16-2015, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Glad to hear that you got it working better. What barrel was that bad?
It was a 25 yr old Colt HBAR 20" 1:7 barrel. It was never quite as good as it should have been for the weight but I think it just gradually got worse over the years. (I shot a lot of rounds through it.)