Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Default Card reader

Ok guys, who else is still having issues with there card readers for dros ? I've confirmed with magtek that it is a 3 track and configured properly , called dros and told them what magtek said and they feel the problem is on DOJs side , the gal that answered at DOJ replied with " well im sure they do think that " ! She is supposed to call back to try and answer to this issue .

Maybe I missed the fix in another thread and apologize if that's the case so if anyone has this wrinkle ironed out , lets hear it .
Old 02-20-2014, 1:26 PM

I have to enter the info by hand most of the time.
www.stoneycreekarms.com
Old 02-20-2014, 3:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer

The same card reader I used before works now. Mine is magtek part 21040108

Doesn't always read 100%, but still saves typing on about 60-70% of IDs
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 02-20-2014, 4:52 PM

Mine won't work. After running some tests it appears that my 3 track is set to place a cariage return at the end of each track. I no longer have the software to change the reader to not use the carriage return. What a pain.

Asked the doj about it and she said that the Web page designers are supposed to get back to her with a solution.

The tech support lady couldn't even tell what models work just that it had to be 3 track.
Old 02-20-2014, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

This one is working fine for me except it drops the birth date occasionally

http://www.provantage.com/magtek-21040108~4MAGT00C.htm

Old 02-20-2014, 5:03 PM

What's funny is that it is identical to mine just a different manufacturer. You can change the on board firmware to work with different systems. The old drop system ignored carriage returns the new system treats a carriage return as a click on the submit I'd button causing the Des software to say invalid I'd since it sees only track 1 due to the carriage return.
Old 02-20-2014, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpup99 View Post
What's funny is that it is identical to mine just a different manufacturer. You can change the on board firmware to work with different systems. The old drop system ignored carriage returns the new system treats a carriage return as a click on the submit I'd button causing the Des software to say invalid I'd since it sees only track 1 due to the carriage return.
So, if the DES ignored CR it'd work?

Old 02-20-2014, 5:53 PM

I believe so. But since I am not a web programmer I can't be sure. I need to find the software to change the settings on my card reader to test it.
Old 02-21-2014, 9:23 AM

According to Magtek , the carriage return is how it was set up for the launch of the new system , the tech had me swipe mine to notepad and asked if there were question marks at the end of all three tracks . He also said this is how they would configure a brand new one . Seems no one wants to take ownership on this one , not surprised either.
Old 02-21-2014, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Submit MagTek's response to DES issues. I bet it will stop some head-scratching going on over there.

Of course, it may screw-up everyone else's that are working.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM

I did and talked to a rep and have not heard back since talking with her , she made a comment after I told her that MagTek said this was on DOJs end , " Im Sure they do think that " in a snippy tone . Going send them another message via our issue log and see if I can light a fire . A small one of course and cross my fingers it doesn't screw everyone else .
Old 02-21-2014, 5:05 PM

Got to love the finger pointing. Sounds like how att works internally. what browser are you using that it works with? I wonder if it has something to do with the browser used. I use Firefox.
Old 02-21-2014, 5:15 PM

Not browser related. I tried chrome, IE11 and firefox. My mag reader puts out 3 lines of text with each line ending with a ? I think that the des software is looking for all 3 tracks to be on one line with a ? deliniating each line.

I do know that my reader can be configured that way but I lost the software to do it.
Old 02-21-2014, 7:51 PM

I have figured out the issue with the card reader. The default setup on the card reader is to send a carriage return at the end of each track. the des software only wants a carriage return at the very end of the data or none at all.

If you have the programing software for your reader you can change it to not send the carriage return at all or set it to send it after all data sent. Took me awhile to locate the correct software for my reader but I did find it.
If you have a MSR210 model pm me and i will send you the instructions and the software to fix it. I have also found the software for model MSR213. If you have a MAGTEC unit you can download the software from their website directly.
Old 02-21-2014, 9:16 PM

Cool Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 9:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I too have been almost totally unable to utilize my card reader.
It's a Magtek, Part No. 21080201
Date Code: Rev. R 0802
Sounds like from the conversation regarding this it's a downloads update from Magtek for this new )*(&% DES system.
If anyone can point me in the right direction to fix this problem,. I'd beholding.
And, without getting too technical....
Old 02-26-2014, 9:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My email is;
jgrns@frontiernet.net
Old 02-26-2014, 9:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I had a problem with the same reader and it turned out that it was set to have a carriage return at the end of each track instead of at the end of all the data.

You can go to the magtek web site and download the MTD and configure program (99510013.exe & 99510011.exe). The entry is 22 and you can select the change. You need to use certain versions of Windoze to run the program. I used XP as it is an old reader and an old program and it seems that the driver only runs on XP.

It worked, although it did not get the birthdate, but that is much better than nothing.

http://www.magtek.com/support/softwa...w/99510013.exe

http://www.magtek.com/support/softwa...w/99510011.exe

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by kemasa; 02-26-2014 at 9:49 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 9:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Need new card reader!!

Just talked with the DES folks who said the "old" (mine) Magtek card readers are not compatible with the new DES system. The old readers are apparently a 2 track reader and the new system requires a 3 track system!!!
Has anybody else have to purchase a new reader to get there system to function properly??
Old 02-26-2014, 10:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Don't trust the DOJ to give you accurate answers. They told me that I needed to buy a new card reader, but instead it was a config issue instead.

The easy answer for them is to tell you to buy a new unit. The funny thing is that they refused to answer when I said that their changes should not require me to spend money. They should make it work with the equipment that used to work.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Magtek updatres downloaded

Downloaded the updates as was suggested. Tried to fill in a DES for using my NEW drivers lic. and none of the blanks filled in???
What am I missing??
Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Also, I'm using Windows 7...12.1 ....I think
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What I posted was not updates, but a driver and a program to change the configuration. It only works on Windoze XP though.

I had to change setting #22, which is to only have the carriage return at the end of all data, which makes it work for me.

Where are you located?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Northern Calif. Fall River Mills, Shasta Co.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A bit far from me :-).

I suspect that you need to change the configuration since you have the same exact card reader that I have, which had a problem until I changed it.

Do you know of anyone with a Windoze XP system? Once you change it, you don't need the XP system until you want to make other changes.

Worst case, you could mail it to me, I could make the change, then ship it back. It is cheaper than a new unit.

Old 02-26-2014, 1:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So the "change" is actually made in the "reader" and not the computer??
Old 02-26-2014, 2:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Card reader fix

If, in fact, the "fix" is within the card reader I'd consider it a real favor if I could
ship it to you and, of cours,e pay for all shipping as well as your time for the necessary "fix".
Old 02-26-2014, 4:48 PM

The easiest way to check your card reader is to open notepad on your computer and swipe your drivers license. If the data shows up as 3 separate lines you need to reconfigure it to eliminate the carriage return at the end of each line.

Also when you try it in notepad make sure that you turn word wrap off. to turn word wrap off click on format in notepad and make sure there is not a check mark next to word wrap.

I spoke to Myra from the doj for around a half hour last night in regards to this issue. She is passing all the info to the web programmers to see if they can make a change on their end to fix the issue. She was rather surprised to find out that the old Verizon system worked with the different reader configurations. According to what she was told the only card reader that worked with Verizon was the Magtec.
Old 02-26-2014, 5:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As said, try reading a card in to notepad or something else to see how it comes out.

Yes, the "fix" is a setting inside the reader, which stays with it, not the computer.

I can do the change if you can't find a person with an XP machine locally. It will take far more time with shipping than making the change. Too bad they did not make it so that you could program it with a card read.

Send me a PM if you want to ship it down.

Old 02-26-2014, 6:57 PM
Still lost in the desert
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
As said, try reading a card in to notepad or something else to see how it comes out.

Yes, the "fix" is a setting inside the reader, which stays with it, not the computer.

I can do the change if you can't find a person with an XP machine locally. It will take far more time with shipping than making the change. Too bad they did not make it so that you could program it with a card read.

Send me a PM if you want to ship it down.
Lol kemasa, do you charge extra if said card reader perhaps had an unfortunate accident? Mine might be suffering from a slight hammer wound. Ok maybe 3 hammer wounds.

ok..it's 4 wounds bit it was asking for it.
Old 02-27-2014, 7:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Modification by hammer means that a new unit is required :-).

It was not the fault of the card reader, but the fault of the CA DOJ not working with various configurations and not saying what needs to be done in order to get it to work.

Old 02-27-2014, 7:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It was not the fault of the card reader, but the fault of the CA DOJ not working with various configurations and not saying what needs to be done in order to get it to work.

Old 02-27-2014, 9:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Kemasa...
Thanks for the great info, however, In windows 7 XP there is "wordpad". Probably the same as notepad...
I did get 3 lines of data and I was able to turn off the "word wrap" but I can find no place (icon) that references anything about "carriage return"???
I apologize for taking you away from probably more important duties.
Old 02-27-2014, 9:34 AM

To eliminate the carriage return you have to reprogram the card reader. If you got 3 lines you will need to download the correct software from the card reader manufacturer to reprogram it. If you have a magtec you can get the software from magtec. If you have a msr210 or msr213 send me a picture and I will send you the software you need.
Old 02-27-2014, 9:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke8319 View Post
Kemasa...
Thanks for the great info, however, In windows 7 XP there is "wordpad". Probably the same as notepad...
I did get 3 lines of data and I was able to turn off the "word wrap" but I can find no place (icon) that references anything about "carriage return"???
I apologize for taking you away from probably more important duties.
That was just to confirm that it has the additional CRs. This confirms you need to change the reader (or wait and see if the DOJ changes their software). The three lines shows that it is putting a carriage return at the end of each track, instead of just at the end.

As said, you need to use the software from Magtek to change it and based on the model that you have, it has to be done under Windoze XP. Let me know if I can help you with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutpup99 View Post
To eliminate the carriage return you have to reprogram the card reader. If you got 3 lines you will need to download the correct software from the card reader manufacturer to reprogram it. If you have a magtec you can get the software from magtec. If you have a msr210 or msr213 send me a picture and I will send you the software you need.
He listed the model number above, which is an older model (same as what I have) and the software to change it only runs under XP.

Old 02-27-2014, 9:57 AM

Same card reader I have always had works now. It even read the birthdate! Yay!!
www.stoneycreekarms.com
Old 02-27-2014, 10:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am not aware of any method to send i-phone photos via a "URL".?? I do have web site...
I can tell you that the label on the bottom of the reader says:
Part No. 21080201
Date code: Rev. R 0802

Hope that helps....
Old 02-27-2014, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke8319 View Post
I can tell you that the label on the bottom of the reader says:
Part No. 21080201
Date code: Rev. R 0802

Hope that helps....
That model needs to be programmed using a WIndoze XP system. According to the person I talked to at Magtek, that is the only choice. My problem was that the programming software does not work using a virtual machine nor with a KVM switch. Once I used to real machine, not using a KVM switch, as well as selecting the correct settings, it worked. Since it is not a USB type, you also have to have a machine with the correct keyboard connector. Fortunately, I had not gotten rid of the old machine that the CA DOJ gave me, along with the card reader.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Still lost in the desert
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post

(sigh) as expected, but I still feel better for it. The dang thing was possessed before the DOJ change this just pushed it over the limit.

On the serious side. I do have another Magtek, but am having problems with the programing. The nice little window keeps telling me I need driver 99510032. I am normally not completely computer retarded but for the life of me I am unable to locate that driver.
Old 02-27-2014, 2:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What is the model of card reader that you have? The 99510036 might be an older version and been replaced with a newer version, which is why you can't find it. If you enter in the model number on the magtek web site, you should be able to get to a web page which lists the programs for it.