Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 3:54 PM

Default Thinking about getting a pcp airrifle

I donít know anything about these , but want one for backyard shooting. I can shoot about 20-25 yards max. Iím looking at a hatsan bullboss on sale for 450 or Benjamin Armada for 510. Which one is better? Or any other similar guns I should be looking at. I mainly want it to practice for my ar, which I rarely have time to shoot. Also do pcps damage scopes? I want a 3 or 5x prism so itís similar to my acog. Probably a Burris or primary arms. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 11-20-2017, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have the Hatsan ATT44-10 QE and LOVE IT.
https://www.airgundepot.com/hatsan-a...ank-combo.html

Bro bought it for me for my birthday and I set up a little 20 yard range in my backyard. Fricking love it! Quieter than my spring-piston air guns and pump air guns. Pew pew pew!
Old 11-20-2017, 5:57 PM

If you're gonna get one to practice... get the MAR177 upper from Crosman. It is a PCP, but utilizes your standard AR15 lower.

The Armada is a bit overkill for 20-25, at that distance, you can pick up stuff with the Benjamin Marauder Pistol and get an shroud extension and additional baffles for quiet.

The CZ200 rifle is another good choice for those distances as are the Benjamin Marauders. More bang for your buck so to speak.

Dan

p.s. If you're in So Cal. Swing by Mac 1 in Gardena, they've got all sorts of PCPs

If you believe in Liberty, you should believe it for everyone, not simply those whom you agree with.
Old 11-20-2017, 6:22 PM

Thanks, how do the hatsans compare to the benjamins in terms of quality /reliability? The bullboss for 450 looks like the best deal. The marauder pistol looks good but i want a top pic rail in case i want to swap out a scope for a red dot.
Old 11-20-2017, 6:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottn View Post
Thanks, how do the hatsans compare to the benjamins in terms of quality /reliability? The bullboss for 450 looks like the best deal. The marauder pistol looks good but i want a top pic rail in case i want to swap out a scope for a red dot.
https://www.airgundepot.com/head-to-...e-article.html

Hatsan's are better and you get more features in my opinion. Here's the article that helped decide it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
If you're gonna get one to practice... get the MAR177 upper from Crosman. It is a PCP, but utilizes your standard AR15 lower.

The Armada is a bit overkill for 20-25, at that distance, you can pick up stuff with the Benjamin Marauder Pistol and get an shroud extension and additional baffles for quiet.

The CZ200 rifle is another good choice for those distances as are the Benjamin Marauders. More bang for your buck so to speak.

Dan

p.s. If you're in So Cal. Swing by Mac 1 in Gardena, they've got all sorts of PCPs

I want a MAR177 kit really bad but can't find one in stock ANYWHERE

Last edited by hunterb; 11-20-2017 at 6:34 PM..
Old 11-20-2017, 6:45 PM

Quote:
The MAR177 has been out of production for a few years.

If you were to find one, bear in mind that it's the lower that makes it a firearm, not the upper. A MAR177 on an AR-15 lower is still a firearm, and I suspect you can't shoot firearms in your backyard.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:31 AM

Pyramid air has the Diana Stormrider on sale with a hand pump for $300ish. Don't have personal experience with it but am amazed at how little the setup costs...

Dan
Old 11-21-2017, 3:38 PM

Both the Benji Marauder and the Hatsan ATT44-10 QE are excellent for within 50 yards, even more if you have the space. And PCP rifles can use a regular firearm scope, unlike springers which will destroy firearm scopes.

The biggest thing outside of the PCP rifles (either of the above is a great choice for your intentions) is the AIR. Unless you love using a manual pump, address that right from the start. You want a big bottle from which to recharge the rifle's bottle.

https://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin...ter-combo.html
https://www.airgundepot.com/hatsan-a...ank-combo.html

I don't have firsthand experience with the Hatsan but a good friend has the Marauder .22 cal. Super quiet. Very accurate at 50 yards although he shoots mostly at half that. (We have a bigger yard, up to 110 yards.) A fun challenge at 75 yards with his perfectly stock Benji.

I definitely suggest talking with Joe Brancato at http://airtanksforsale.com / 714-907-0067 for information on tanks, refilling, and even air rifle mods. He does some with the Marauders that makes it both more air-efficient and quieter. Good reputation despite a crappy website. I've been to his shop (got my Freedom compressor and a couple 97 cu. ft. air bottles there). Small shop. Super busy. Lots of traffic with customers getting work done. Loads of inventory including rifles and bottles. Worth the call. Near the John Wayne Airport in Orange County. (My friend with the Marauder went nearly six months on his 97 cu. ft. bottle before it needed a recharge.)
Old 11-22-2017, 5:45 AM

Benjamin Marauder, bro. Can't beat it for quiet, accuracy, price, and value. I got a bottle from Joe as well.
Old 11-22-2017, 8:39 AM

The Hatsans and Marauder are both low end PCP guns, the Marauder has more available mods as well as being tuned a bit easier. The Armada is a Marauder with overpriced tactical stock. If you do plan to do any type of hunting you may even look at a .25 although a bit louder and in need of more backstop.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:09 PM

how far away can you hear these being shot ? I’m about 100 yards to my nearest neighbor
Old 11-23-2017, 8:55 AM

Many makers have a shrouded barrel, which dampens the noise. The sound can be dampened further with the addition of an 'LDC' (Lead Dust Collector), which in essence is an extension of the shroud that can absorb more sound.
While the air gun is fairly quiet and at 100 yards may not be too audible depending upon which air gun you have, the sound of the pellet impact is greater and has to be addressed even more.
I shoot in a rural area with a couple of other friends and have been told that while the report is barely there from 50+ yards, the impact of hitting a pigeon for instance is loud to them.
I have read that some pellet traps are home made and have duct sealer within that can dampen the pellet impact enough to allow some very close quarter shooting, making the entire operation backyard friendly, however I cannot verify that part.
YMMV
Old 11-23-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottn View Post
how far away can you hear these being shot ? I’m about 100 yards to my nearest neighbor
With my .30 RAW, right next to it is the equivalent of a pneumatic nailer. From my shooting position, I can hear the pellets impact a piece of 3/4" plywood 75 yards away. Right near the target, it was comparable to a hammer hitting a nail. (The plywood was used simply to test the power. And no, it wasn't an adequate backstop.) The stock Benjamin Marauder .22 was virtually silent from even 5 yards away. Impact at whatever distance would be determined by the backstop. Dirt or sand would be very quiet, certainly not loud enough to gain the attention of a neighbor. If that isn't possible, a backstop of hanging rubber strips (think "drive-thru car wash" and a slope of rubber chunks should be more than adequate and quiet enough to be neighbor-friendly.

Keep in mind that you could put your target in a tube or large box to help absorb the impact noise, as well as your shooting location as in the attached photo.

Last edited by Rivers; 11-23-2017 at 12:22 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Pyramid air has the Diana Stormrider on sale with a hand pump for $300ish. Don't have personal experience with it but am amazed at how little the setup costs...

Dan
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017...-rifle-part-1/

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017...-rifle-part-2/

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017...-rifle-part-3/

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2017...-rifle-part-4/

but for backyard, Stormrider (and Benjamin Discovery) are not quiet guns. The marauder is very quiet, but takes far more effort with a hand pump (because it's 3000 psi). So there is going to be diver's tank and regulator to buy with a maurader. I use a Discovery (easy to pump, not a repeater, not quiet).

Last edited by Darto; 11-24-2017 at 10:50 AM..
Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Pyramid Air has 20% off all Benjamin today... And Colt, Umarex, Crossman...
https://www.pyramydair.com/black-fri...atsan+Bullboss
Old 11-25-2017, 9:52 PM

20-25 yards is pretty much the sweet spot for most, if not all, spring, piston or PCP air rifle. If you are looking to find an AR pattern air rifle (meaning it looks like and feels like your AR) your options are limited. The Armada is an AR pattern Marauder. And many of the pieces and parts are swap-able with AR A2, magpul, etc parts. quality Optics on a PCP are generally OK as the impulse is one- directional.

As mentioned the Maruader is quiet, probably one of the most quiet air rifles, and backyard friendly for noise. As a cautionary note some jurisdictions do not allow the firing of air rifles within their limits. YMMV

Generally speaking .177 caliber is sufficient for plinking. Ammo is readily available and inexpensive. 22 caliber a little more expensive and still OK for plinking. 25 caliber more expensive. Both of the guns you listed come in those three calibers. Choice of the gun and the ammo can also influence the loudness of the report. And some guns are finicky about which pellet they like as far as accuracy goes.

Some guns come with or can be fitted with a "moderator", which is known as a "suppressor" in the powder-burning gun world. These are air rifle legal and also can reduce the report noise.

PCP guns require air from an external source. A scuba tank is best as using a hand pump to air up a 3000 PSI gun is a workout and will get old quickly. Some guns have a smaller air tube and are advertised as easier to pump by hand. Either way this adds additional cost for you.

As with most things, there is no easy or short answer. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:06 PM

For filling a Marauder to 3000psi, you want to go with a 4500psi rated SCBA tank, not a 3000psi rated Scuba tank.
Old 11-26-2017, 6:33 AM

Marauder is backyard friendly quiet in .22. I shoot squirrels while my neighbor has pool parties. As mentioned above, get a tank.
Old 11-27-2017, 8:00 AM

Choosing a PCP is a financial commitment, if you don't shoot much and are mostly hunting at short ranges a piston gun may be a more practical choice.