Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 02-10-2018, 9:09 AM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Coast-Salinas
Posts: 7,755
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

Not bad timing


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 02-10-2018, 4:04 PM
CiccioC's Avatar
CiccioC CiccioC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 6
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Applied in April. Missed first interview in July. Rescheduled for September. Approved 02/08/2018. I know they followed up on references (by email). Not sure if they interviewed neighbors. Fairly painless, just long and drawn out with very little communication.

Last edited by CiccioC; 02-10-2018 at 4:08 PM.. Reason: Added information
Reply With Quote
  #243  
Old 02-11-2018, 11:07 PM
phdo's Avatar
phdo phdo is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,372
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Has anyone gotten a non-resident from Monterey? I live in Santa Clara County but travel at least 10 times to Salinas every quarter.
__________________
WTB:
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 19
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
HK USP9c
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 02-12-2018, 9:00 AM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Coast-Salinas
Posts: 7,755
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

I doubt that would qualify. But doesnít hurt to inquire


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #245  
Old 02-12-2018, 9:12 AM
Jedediah Munroe Jedediah Munroe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 303
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
Has anyone gotten a non-resident from Monterey? I live in Santa Clara County but travel at least 10 times to Salinas every quarter.


Even if you could I seem to recall nonresident permits for business purposes are good for only 30 days?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 02-27-2018, 10:01 AM
Dodgeguy Dodgeguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Monterey County CCW

I'm reaching out to current Monterey County CCW permit holders as I recently took a local CCW class where I was informed that your carry guns need to be registered to you but do not need to be on the current DOJ Roster. During the application process the County's website mentioned the guns need to be registered to the person carrying them and on the current roster. Can anyone clarify this? I'm hoping I was mis-informed and that we can carry off-roster handguns as long as they're registered to the issued permit holder and that you of course qualify with them.
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 02-27-2018, 8:43 PM
MURRIETA45's Avatar
MURRIETA45 MURRIETA45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 455
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeguy View Post
I'm reaching out to current Monterey County CCW permit holders as I recently took a local CCW class where I was informed that your carry guns need to be registered to you but do not need to be on the current DOJ Roster. During the application process the County's website mentioned the guns need to be registered to the person carrying them and on the current roster. Can anyone clarify this? I'm hoping I was mis-informed and that we can carry off-roster handguns as long as they're registered to the issued permit holder and that you of course qualify with them.
Thank you in advance!
My niece's husband is a Monterey Co. CCW holder. He has a Glock 43 (non-roster) on his permit. It is registered to him. Hope this helps.

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #248  
Old 02-27-2018, 9:19 PM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Hi Guys, Iíve lived in the County 21 years and have been thinking about doing this, or trying anyway. My family are all LEO and tell me to give it a shot. It would be for SD only.

Q1: What is GMC? Good cause?

Q2: Does being an NRA Certified Instructor in Basic Pistol (& used that to get the DOJ HSC Certified Instructor ), buy you anything as far as the training requirements? (Come to think of it, a PPOTH cert would probably be a lot better.) Not saying Iím anything special, just trying to cut thru the bureaucracy as much as possible.

Also, if they talk to my co-workers Iím boned; theyíre all to the left of Pelosi, and donít even think the police should have guns. I donít tell _anyone_ there I shoot, or reload, or even am Conservative. Itís that bad.

Thanks for any info on those two points.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #249  
Old 02-28-2018, 7:40 AM
dbmosley dbmosley is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 20
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
Hi Guys, Iíve lived in the County 21 years and have been thinking about doing this, or trying anyway. My family are all LEO and tell me to give it a shot. It would be for SD only.

Q1: What is GMC? Good cause?

Q2: Does being an NRA Certified Instructor in Basic Pistol (& used that to get the DOJ HSC Certified Instructor ), buy you anything as far as the training requirements? (Come to think of it, a PPOTH cert would probably be a lot better.) Not saying Iím anything special, just trying to cut thru the bureaucracy as much as possible.

Also, if they talk to my co-workers Iím boned; theyíre all to the left of Pelosi, and donít even think the police should have guns. I donít tell _anyone_ there I shoot, or reload, or even am Conservative. Itís that bad.

Thanks for any info on those two points.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


GMC is good moral character. As for your co-workers, tell the Sheriffís investigator about them during your interview. The investigator doesnít have to tell your co-workers (or neighbors) that youíve applied for a CCW. You should also ask about your certifications during the interview. I recall seeing some exemptions but donít remember what they are. Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #250  
Old 02-28-2018, 8:05 AM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Coast-Salinas
Posts: 7,755
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeguy View Post
I'm reaching out to current Monterey County CCW permit holders as I recently took a local CCW class where I was informed that your carry guns need to be registered to you but do not need to be on the current DOJ Roster. During the application process the County's website mentioned the guns need to be registered to the person carrying them and on the current roster. Can anyone clarify this? I'm hoping I was mis-informed and that we can carry off-roster handguns as long as they're registered to the issued permit holder and that you of course qualify with them.

Thank you in advance!

The problem MCSO has with off roster is only when someone used single shot and made the caliber something diff and registration says the glock 43 is a 50caliber 8Ē barrel, etc... those that have been denied as that result have went and are drosíd to be the correct caliber/dimensions
Typically unless you have the above issue off roster will be fine, I know lots of folks with off roster guns on their ccw

Whoís class did you take



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #251  
Old 02-28-2018, 8:09 AM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Coast-Salinas
Posts: 7,755
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
Hi Guys, Iíve lived in the County 21 years and have been thinking about doing this, or trying anyway. My family are all LEO and tell me to give it a shot. It would be for SD only.

Q1: What is GMC? Good cause?

Q2: Does being an NRA Certified Instructor in Basic Pistol (& used that to get the DOJ HSC Certified Instructor ), buy you anything as far as the training requirements? (Come to think of it, a PPOTH cert would probably be a lot better.) Not saying Iím anything special, just trying to cut thru the bureaucracy as much as possible.

Also, if they talk to my co-workers Iím boned; theyíre all to the left of Pelosi, and donít even think the police should have guns. I donít tell _anyone_ there I shoot, or reload, or even am Conservative. Itís that bad.

Thanks for any info on those two points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Personal defense is sufficient
2. No, youíll still have to take an approved by the county class (unless youíre prior LE)
3. They donít ALWAYS talk to coworkers, they just keep the option open in case they feel the need to do so




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 02-28-2018, 9:04 AM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmosley View Post
GMC is good moral character. As for your co-workers, tell the Sheriffís investigator about them during your interview. The investigator doesnít have to tell your co-workers (or neighbors) that youíve applied for a CCW. You should also ask about your certifications during the interview. I recall seeing some exemptions but donít remember what they are. Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much. Appreciate the info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 02-28-2018, 9:06 AM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
1. Personal defense is sufficient
2. No, youíll still have to take an approved by the county class (unless youíre prior LE)
3. They donít ALWAYS talk to coworkers, they just keep the option open in case they feel the need to do so




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, no problem. Iíll get the paperwork going soon, and look into who is offering the class. Appreciate the info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #254  
Old 03-05-2018, 2:11 PM
Dodgeguy Dodgeguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Off-Roster CCW

Thank you for your responses! I used 831 Shooter for the CCW class and highly recommend Dave (Owner).
Reply With Quote
  #255  
Old 03-05-2018, 3:04 PM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Coast-Salinas
Posts: 7,755
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeguy View Post
Thank you for your responses! I used 831 Shooter for the CCW class and highly recommend Dave (Owner).

Was you in this past weekend class?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #256  
Old 03-09-2018, 9:27 PM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

FYI, not sure if this has been discussed, but how many of you took the training before applying with the SO? I heard that the Sheriff prefers you get the training first so that they donít waste time vetting and approving someone who then doesnít pass the training.

Just trying to get an idea of the sequence you guys followed. Guess itís presumptuous of me to schedule the class first, then hope I pass the interview.

I know I wonít have trouble with the live scan, and have no other issues, but you never know what criteria the interviewer has in judging your application.

Thanks for any info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 03-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Peloncito Peloncito is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

@Svashtar, your application has to be complete before they will review it. This includes the training. As for the interview, the interviewer just went through my application with me. He re-asked me every question on the list and asked for some clarifications. I was most worried about the drug use question as I had a few experimentations when young and dumb. He didnít even hesitate on that one. We ended up in an off topic conversation about his life based on my profession. Donít stress, donít lie. If you did something and donít list it, they probably will find out about it. My references received emails, but nobody else was questioned or notified. I would find some like-minded allies at work so that someone on your side knows you will be carrying. In my case, about 4 people, including my office manager know Iím carrying. I also often will be an another location that is not my primary work location, and several people there, including head of security know about it. I am discreet, but donít want it to be a total secret in case of a defensive shooting situation. I donít want to ever be confused as the BG.
Reply With Quote
  #258  
Old 03-10-2018, 12:45 AM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default Monterey *** TIME TO APPLY!!! (w/caveat) ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloncito View Post
@Svashtar, your application has to be complete before they will review it. This includes the training. As for the interview, the interviewer just went through my application with me. He re-asked me every question on the list and asked for some clarifications. I was most worried about the drug use question as I had a few experimentations when young and dumb. He didnít even hesitate on that one. We ended up in an off topic conversation about his life based on my profession. Donít stress, donít lie. If you did something and donít list it, they probably will find out about it. My references received emails, but nobody else was questioned or notified. I would find some like-minded allies at work so that someone on your side knows you will be carrying. In my case, about 4 people, including my office manager know Iím carrying. I also often will be an another location that is not my primary work location, and several people there, including head of security know about it. I am discreet, but donít want it to be a total secret in case of a defensive shooting situation. I donít want to ever be confused as the BG.

Peloncito, many thanks for the good info, I appreciate it! FYI, I work for the County, so wonít be carrying at work regardless, as they have a strict no weapons policy. I donít think Iíll even be carrying in the car, because the rule applies to County property. I wanted one mostly because Iím out at night after work alone, or with my family.

As for my coworkers, are you familiar with the AG Russell one-hand knife? I have one of those, a 2 7/8Ē blade pocket knife, and got funny looks when I used it one day. These people think a desk stapler is a potential deadly weapon. Theyíre nice folks, donít get me wrong, but I canít even take the CRPA monthly magazine to read at lunch.

I donít have a lot of friends here in Salinas, but have two or three good neighbors, and have one LEO friend who works for the County who will vouch for me, and a couple of other guys in nearby towns. Do the references all have to be in County?

When I was 17-18 I smoked pot a couple of times, back in the Ď70ís, but outgrew that as soon as I graduated and got away from a couple of guys who spent their lives stoned. ďYoung and dumbĒ like you said.

Finally, do they review employment history? I have great job references from former supervisors, but not sure how much detail they go into, or how far back. I had a bad experience with a hack manager 13 years ago that didnít end too well. I wouldnít change the way I handled it at all, but some things are out of your control.

Thanks again for the good information!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 03-10-2018 at 12:47 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 03-10-2018, 9:29 AM
Paladin's Avatar
Paladin Paladin is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SFBA
Posts: 8,321
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloncito View Post
@Svashtar, your application has to be complete before they will review it. This includes the training.
State law requires the IA give you a decision on your GC before training and its fees. That change was passed several years ago.

Don't believe me? Just PM Librarian and I'm sure he can quote the law/statute.

If they are requiring training before deciding about your GC, they've opened themselves up to a lawsuit or Civil Grand Jury investigation.
__________________
Never mistake being delusional for being optimistic.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #260  
Old 03-10-2018, 1:19 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 37,550
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

26165 (d)
Quote:
(d) The applicant shall not be required to pay for any training courses prior to the determination of good cause being made pursuant to Section 26202.
I suppose they might require the course sooner, if you could get it for free ...
__________________
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.


Reply With Quote
  #261  
Old 03-10-2018, 4:28 PM
Dodgeguy Dodgeguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
FYI, not sure if this has been discussed, but how many of you took the training before applying with the SO? I heard that the Sheriff prefers you get the training first so that they donít waste time vetting and approving someone who then doesnít pass the training.

Just trying to get an idea of the sequence you guys followed. Guess itís presumptuous of me to schedule the class first, then hope I pass the interview.

I know I wonít have trouble with the live scan, and have no other issues, but you never know what criteria the interviewer has in judging your application.

Thanks for any info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was always under the impression you didn't need to take the training/qualify until after you passed the background check and Interview. However, concluding my interview the officer asked if I had taken the CCW class and I responded with the same answer as above. He said that he "highly recommended" I take it ASAP. I took that as a positive sign and took the class within 10 days. My references were not contacted until after my interview but I'm wondering if they look into your background and past prior to the interview. Does anyone have any thoughts/info on this?
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 03-10-2018, 5:24 PM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default Monterey *** TIME TO APPLY!!! (w/caveat) ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
State law requires the IA give you a decision on your GC before training and its fees. That change was passed several years ago.

Don't believe me? Just PM Librarian and I'm sure he can quote the law/statute.

If they are requiring training before deciding about your GC, they've opened themselves up to a lawsuit or Civil Grand Jury investigation.

No, I know youíre correct, I have the statute showing they canít require training upfront.

To be totally clear, the IA is NOT requiring training before reviewing my application and determining GC. If I implied they did (I donít think I did, but just in case), that was in error.

The ďtraining firstĒ was a recommendation from someone I trust, with an excellent reputation, who is very familiar with the process.

Iím not complaining or concerned about anything, I only want to make sure I do everything correctly and in the correct order to give myself the best chance of meeting the issuance requirements of the IA.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 03-10-2018 at 5:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 03-12-2018, 4:42 PM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Coast-Salinas
Posts: 7,755
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default Monterey *** TIME TO APPLY!!! (w/caveat) ***

No, Monterey does not require training before review. Once approved they will say you need the training and to qualify with your listed guns


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tripper; 03-12-2018 at 4:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 03-18-2018, 12:42 AM
bugman's Avatar
bugman bugman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monterey
Posts: 649
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

I finally started the process to get CCW. Can anyone please tell me how the shooting qualifications are done? Taking a class soon and Iím very curious what to expect. Signed up with Tremper Tactical.

By the way, do you do the live scan at the Sheriffís office when you do the interview? Or do you go to one of the places that offer the service and pay for the live scan yourself?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 03-18-2018, 7:28 AM
1flhtk4me 1flhtk4me is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hollister,Ca.
Posts: 290
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
I finally started the process to get CCW. Can anyone please tell me how the shooting qualifications are done? Taking a class soon and Iím very curious what to expect. Signed up with Tremper Tactical.

By the way, do you do the live scan at the Sheriffís office when you do the interview? Or do you go to one of the places that offer the service and pay for the live scan yourself?
I recently got my CCW from San Benito county.
Don't no about Monterey County but the class I took with Wayne Summers was 4 hrs. long.
The first thing he did was he went over safety subjects then had the people renewing their permits qualify first then they could leave.
Next was the new applicants turn.He went over drawing your hand gun from your holster then shooting at targets from different distances.

As far as the live scan I had to go to a local business.

The Sheriff that was handling my permit gave me recommended sources for the training classes and the live scan.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 03-21-2018, 2:27 PM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Based on recommendations from this thread, Iím signed up with Dave at 831Shooter this coming Saturday for training.

I did the MCSO app night before last, and it went very smoothly. Uploaded all my docs and references. (Only had to save the Word file as .PDF for the site to take it.) Whoever built and is administering the website did a good job.

My SO interview appt is clear out 90 days from the time of the application, middle of June, but Iíve heard thereís a possibility they might call earlier. (?). Weíll see.

I appreciate all the helpful info, and will post back here with the results. (Keeping my fingers crossed that after this last embarrassing totally preventable incident with the Seaside ND teacher there wonít be a problem with the issuance of these permits!)



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 03-21-2018, 2:30 PM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
I finally started the process to get CCW. Can anyone please tell me how the shooting qualifications are done? Taking a class soon and Iím very curious what to expect. Signed up with Tremper Tactical.

By the way, do you do the live scan at the Sheriffís office when you do the interview? Or do you go to one of the places that offer the service and pay for the live scan yourself?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


From what Iíve heard, you go to the SO on Natividad at the time of the interview, and they take your prints and do the Livescan there.

Someone please jump in if thatís incorrect, thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 03-22-2018, 10:51 AM
bugman's Avatar
bugman bugman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monterey
Posts: 649
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

Thanks for the information.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 03-22-2018, 3:21 PM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Coast-Salinas
Posts: 7,755
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
Thanks for the information.

Yes, when you check in for your interview, thatís when the do the livescan.
Iím not sure what trempers training consists of. Getting your training and everything else out of the way makes it easier once the livescan is done, then all you have to do ya wait for doj to respond to them on that



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 03-30-2018, 3:59 PM
Dodgeguy Dodgeguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Timeline for CCW:

Application submitted: 1/27/18
Interviewed: 2/13/18
Approved 3/27/18
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 03-30-2018, 6:54 PM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default Monterey *** TIME TO APPLY!!! (w/caveat) ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeguy View Post
Timeline for CCW:

Application submitted: 1/27/18
Interviewed: 2/13/18
Approved 3/27/18

Iím really hoping all this parkland protest bs isnít going to slow things down with the SO because of politics.

I just filled out my application on 3/19, so hope Iíll get just as quick a turnaround as you.

By the way, the earliest I could schedule my interview was June 19, three months out. Did you do the same and they called you, or were you actually able to schedule an interview online that quickly?

Thanks for any info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 03-30-2018 at 7:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 03-30-2018, 8:49 PM
tomrkba's Avatar
tomrkba tomrkba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Soon to be in the Bay Area Circle Jerk
Posts: 435
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Are they still asking neighbors and coworkers? That is insane
__________________
After every murder spree, the Left has its little gungasm and we fight off their political herpes.
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 03-31-2018, 1:21 PM
Dodgeguy Dodgeguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
Iím really hoping all this parkland protest bs isnít going to slow things down with the SO because of politics.

I just filled out my application on 3/19, so hope Iíll get just as quick a turnaround as you.

By the way, the earliest I could schedule my interview was June 19, three months out. Did you do the same and they called you, or were you actually able to schedule an interview online that quickly?

Thanks for any info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was fortunate to get my interview so quickly. It had been originally scheduled for May 1st (which was a little over 3 months from my application submission date) but they called and asked if I would consider coming earlier. When they said Feb 13th I was shocked. Two month turn around time from start to finish is pretty rare from what I understand but I thought I'd share with everyone going through the process for some motivation.

To answer your question: When you submit the application online they will contact you to schedule the interview. The background investigator recommended I do the CCW training ASAP at the interview which makes me believe that is part of the reason it went through so quickly but I could be wrong. I understand they cannot require you to do it before you get approval but I don't think it hurts. If you have a clean back ground and your references check out you have a really good chance. I'm also a business owner which doesn't hurt as well.
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 03-31-2018, 1:25 PM
Dodgeguy Dodgeguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Are they still asking neighbors and coworkers? That is insane
No, they are no longer contacting neighbors. It makes since because I think a lot of people out there would agree that we aren't all blessed with great neighbors. I'm not sure about co-workers but I know my friend who has carried for years said they had contacted his co-workeres the last time he re-nenewed his permit. They never asked about contacting my employees and I don't have any co-workers. Hope this answers your question.
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 03-31-2018, 1:26 PM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default Monterey *** TIME TO APPLY!!! (w/caveat) ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeguy View Post
I was fortunate to get my interview so quickly. It had been originally scheduled for May 1st (which was a little over 3 months from my application submission date) but they called and asked if I would consider coming earlier. When they said Feb 13th I was shocked. Two month turn around time from start to finish is pretty rare from what I understand but I thought I'd share with everyone going through the process for some motivation.



To answer your question: When you submit the application online they will contact you to schedule the interview. The background investigator recommended I do the CCW training ASAP at the interview which makes me believe that is part of the reason it went through so quickly but I could be wrong. I understand they cannot require you to do it before you get approval but I don't think it hurts. If you have a clean back ground and your references check out you have a really good chance. I'm also a business owner which doesn't hurt as well.


Thanks very much; I submitted the app on the 19th, and went ahead and took the training on the 24th. Got my cert from that yesterday, and went back in and uploaded that document as proof of training.

Hopefully they will call before June, but if not no worries; Iíve waited this long.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 03-31-2018, 1:40 PM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Are they still asking neighbors and coworkers? That is insane

I have no problem with them checking with my neighbors. Looks like they are emailing your references only right now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 03-31-2018, 1:41 PM
Svashtar's Avatar
Svashtar Svashtar is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Gangland, USA
Posts: 845
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default Monterey *** TIME TO APPLY!!! (w/caveat) ***

Sorry, dupe post.
__________________
"Civil Defense Thru Civil Disobedience; Never Disarm!"

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
CA DOJ HSC Program Certified Instructor
CRPA Member

Last edited by Svashtar; 04-03-2018 at 9:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 03-31-2018, 8:40 PM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Coast-Salinas
Posts: 7,755
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeguy View Post
Timeline for CCW:

Application submitted: 1/27/18
Interviewed: 2/13/18
Approved 3/27/18

Thatís pretty good, you must have caught things just right, especially the interview so quick


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 03-31-2018, 8:41 PM
Tripper's Avatar
Tripper Tripper is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Coast-Salinas
Posts: 7,755
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Are they still asking neighbors and coworkers? That is insane

Not generally, but they will if they feel the need to do so



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 04-02-2018, 1:42 PM
Dodgeguy Dodgeguy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Thatís pretty good, you must have caught things just right, especially the interview so quick


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree and feel very fortunate!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:37 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.