Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 06-24-2012, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Question for Marine NCO'S

1. My grandson is stationed in Okinawa and is an E-3. He told his grandmother his SGT. in formed him he's up for E-4 in Dec. He seems to think there is some kind of ceremony for his second stripe. Or is it more like just a hand shake and congratulations you can now sew on your new stripes.

I know when I was in the Navy I passed all my qualifications for E-4 but had to wait until an E-4 Gunners Mate either retired or made E-5 because there were no billets available. There was no ceremony!

2. I understand as an NCO he is eligible to wear a sword for certain ceremony's. Is a sword issued when he makes E-4 or does he have to buy it on his own?
If he has to buy it on his own, where does one buy it and what do they normally cost?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 06-24-2012, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

There is the normal promotion ceremony where he gets pinned. Then the other nco's have him walk the gauntlet. And then later that night he takes them out for his wet down (drinking, he pays). And he buys his sword but generally only after he has been through the corporals course. And as soon as he gets promoted he needs to take all his service and dress uniforms in to get his blood stripes and chevrons put on.
Old 06-24-2012, 8:43 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Every promotion is given by an officer and all those in presence, stand at the position of attention. So, this would be the promotion "ceremony". As far as anything further than that; the red stripe is called a blood stripe, and depending on how motivated he and his unit is, he could have sore legs and be very hung over the next day.

NCO's are not issued swords, you must purchase them for yourself. I think this would be a great gift from a grandfather! Swords are only worn in ceremonies, like the Marine Corps Birthday Ball, funeral honors; or perhaps if a fellow Marine was getting married and chose to have the men wear their Dress Blue uniform during the service.

Don't buy a cheap "replica" sword; the Corps buys from Atlanta cutlery I believe. It's gold plated and the engraving is beautiful; something your grandson could pass on to his children some day.

There are regulations on the length of the sword though; so you may want your grandson to hold a sword or get measured. Otherwise, he may have to return it for the right size; which may or may not be a big deal. Here's a couple websites on where to buy them.

http://www.grunt.com/swords
http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-1172...nco-saber.aspx

From Grunt.com: "To measure for your sword size, stand at attention with your hand in the carrying position and have a friend measure from your hand to your eye. The tip of the sword should fall 1" above or below your eye.":
Official Calguns Vendor for Home Loans & Real Estate since 2012. VA loan expert, no cost refinances, and on a mission to continue my reputation of good deals, honesty and supporting the Calguns community. Check out my customer reviews in our forum.

Pm me any questions, rate quotes, loan preapprovals, or any other real estate need or question you may have. I'm here to help. Semper Fi!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 AM

Hmm, small world, I'm a sergeant in Okinawa.

For Corporal there is a promotion ceremony, just like all the other ranks. His warrant, the paper that he is given will be different, and he will more than likely have the NCO creed read to him. Following that He will be given the option to choose someone to promote him, usually a peer at his shop, or have the CO do it, its up to him.

Now, depending on the unit, he may have an unnofficial promotion ceremony somewhere private afterwords with all his buddies, where he'll get his rank pinned and bloodstripes. I can say honestly that was one of the best days in my career.

As far as the sword he could go out and buy one off the bat, but honestly he should learn how to drill with it first, which they still teach in corporals and sergeants course. Normally unless he is participating in a Marine Corps ceremony he will not ever carry one.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 AM

Getting pinned and getting your bloodstripes. Very fun and thrilling to say the least. He'll have fun.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
...is called a blood stripe, and depending on how motivated he and his unit is, he could have sore legs and be very hung over the next day.
WHAT!?!?!?

What happened to the "Kinder-Gentler" Corps. I kept HEARING about (yet never experienced)...?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Buy him is darn sword.

I paid more for mine back in the day! They're $225 as a result of a contract overrun.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-1172...nco-saber.aspx
Old 06-25-2012, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Thank you for all the reply's.

Have to have him get one of his buddies to measure him for a sword !

Old 06-25-2012, 2:17 PM

Even in a grunt unit I never got my 'blood stripes' ceremony afterwards. Then again, the junior NCO's in my platoon had no leadership skills and anger issue so most of the E-3's and below avoided them.

Buy the kid the damn sword, just make sure its within regulation. Get him on the phone and discuss the details of it. "Wait, so you have to have one built for your height? Wow...thats the miltary for ya. How long would your sword have to be exactly?

I just measured myself and ordered one. Will go along nicely with the custom shadow box I'm making.
Old 06-25-2012, 2:44 PM

It's June..... He has at least two more quarters before then. Promotions slow and close during the winter months because nobody enlists around these times. Promotions are like waves in an ocean. They go up and down based on the flow of the water.

It is a projection of his score assuming all his pros and cons remain the same and if he has MCIs hitting the system.

Don't ink Dec in ink for his promotion. Cross your fingers instead.
Old 06-25-2012, 6:05 PM

He'll be pinned just like any other promotion, they'll probably throw in the NCO creed in the same binder his warrant is in. I'm somewhat skeptical about projecting a promotion 5 months in advance though, the only time you can guarantee it is when you've won a meritorious board and your command lets you know what month you're getting promoted. Even if you have the highest composite score, you can still sit around with an MOS closed out for a year. Both times that I was meritoriously promoted (Cpl and Sgt), my MOS was closed out and I was the only one to be promoted in those respective months.

Your grandson will not be given a sword, but he may be temporarily issued one if he is required to stand sword detail. I've seen swords awarded for the honor graduate of Drill Instructor School. If he wants to buy one, he needs to get it measured and make sure it's in regs. The uniform stores will have them, but I suggest if he is going to buy one, that he doesn't buy a cheap replica sword.
"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 06-26-2012, 4:58 AM
Veteran Member

Ah yes..the gauntlet! My wet down was in Yuma of all places ...coin night anyone? Lol
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM

Yuma, man I hated that place. We did enjoy drinking with the wingers in their Eclub though. Those guys didn't know what to think about us.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 AM

You guys are lucky, you actually had a wet down. When I got promoted to Corporal, I was in Kuwait, a DRY country. Not very fun.
Old 06-26-2012, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6114DAVE View Post
Ah yes..the gauntlet! My wet down was in Yuma of all places ...coin night anyone? Lol
We talking Platinum's Wednesday night? Because that's when our squadron had field day, so single guys never got the chance.

To OP, Some promotion ceremonies are different from others. Most of the time, they have you march up, they remove old rank insignia and pin your new rank insignia onto your collar. If you're promoted to Corporal, sometimes they also drape red strips of cloth over your shoulders (these are bloodstripes, to be later sewn onto your trouser seams) and some units will have you walk the gauntlet (each of your NCO peers will bump the side of your leg with their knee, punch your shoulder where the rank patch sits, and possibly "snakebite" your rank pins into your collarbone.)

Following that, the new promotee will take his buddies out to the bar. The difference between his old paycheck and his new paycheck is placed on the bar and everyone celebrates together.

I would be extremely happy if someone had bought my NCO sword for me. Just remember, NCOs use a different sword than USMC Officers, and there are cheap knock-offs all over. Get him a good one, and congrats to the kid!

ETA: The gauntlet is an informal thing, to be done among friends/peers. It is not a command sanctioned portion of the promotion ceremony

Last edited by SgtMerc; 06-26-2012 at 4:10 PM.. Reason: gauntlet
Old 06-26-2012, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMerc View Post
We talking Platinum's Wednesday night? Because that's when our squadron had field day, so single guys never got the chance.

To OP, Some promotion ceremonies are different from others. Most of the time, they have you march up, they remove old rank insignia and pin your new rank insignia onto your collar. If you're promoted to Corporal, sometimes they also drape red strips of cloth over your shoulders (these are bloodstripes, to be later sewn onto your trouser seams) and some units will have you walk the gauntlet (each of your NCO peers will bump the side of your leg with their knee, punch your shoulder where the rank patch sits, and possibly "snakebite" your rank pins into your collarbone.)

Following that, the new promotee will take his buddies out to the bar. The difference between his old paycheck and his new paycheck is placed on the bar and everyone celebrates together.

I would be extremely happy if someone had bought my NCO sword for me. Just remember, NCOs use a different sword than USMC Officers, and there are cheap knock-offs all over. Get him a good one, and congrats to the kid!

ETA: The gauntlet is an informal thing, to be done among friends/peers. It is not a command sanctioned portion of the promotion ceremony
Yeah, whenever I was in Yuma it was for WTI or training detachments .
Old 06-26-2012, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster85 View Post
Yuma, man I hated that place. We did enjoy drinking with the wingers in their Eclub though. Those guys didn't know what to think about us.

I was one of those wingers with the NASTY low regs and borderline long hair.. Lol
Old 06-26-2012, 6:18 PM
Veteran Member

Yuma sucked. I wish all I had was a corporal ceremony

I got my billet blood wings after a mass tac jump with the Brits during a joint exercise - life sucked. Scuba School wasn't so bad.

Best wet down? Hows that for a question?

Phuket?

Alongopo?

Anyone?
Old 06-26-2012, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Swords, swords and more swords !!! I've looked on the internet ..$200's, $300's, $400's

and up to $600. Some specify polished brass some said 24 carat gold plated. Some

specify etched on three sides, others don't specify. I didn't look at anything

less figuring they were some kind of reproductions, there were a lot out there. I

figure you get what you pay for. I don't want to cheap out on this but I don't

want to take out a second on the house either.

What do they get for one on base??

Old 06-26-2012, 7:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
Yuma sucked. I wish all I had was a corporal ceremony

I got my billet blood wings after a mass tac jump with the Brits during a joint exercise - life sucked. Scuba School wasn't so bad.

Best wet down? Hows that for a question?

Phuket?

Alongopo?

Anyone?
Never made it to Phuket ! Didn't make E-4 on the West-Pac cruise but as an

E-2 and E-3 wet down in Alongopo quite often.

Old 07-23-2012, 6:52 AM
Vietnam Vet
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Made E4 on the Hornet and E5 on the Oriskany. No ceremony for either. Just celebrated both in Olongapo..

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 07-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Banned

If he is walking the day after he gets promoted the Marines is going soft.
Old 07-23-2012, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcGuff View Post
If he is walking the day after he gets promoted the Marines is going soft.

Exactly. After I pinned on Cpl I was rushed and received very nice blood stripes. Lol. Stairs were out of the question for several days. I had to make sure nobody saw my chest for a while to. Bloody bruises are hard to explain to some people.
Old 07-26-2012, 8:26 AM

My first duty station was The Rock, 1978. I'm glad I didn't get my blood stripes there. Those knee shots to the thigh didn't look like fun. Check ebay for Marine Corps NCO swords. Sometimes you can get a legit one in new condition for a decent price. Remember that the sword length goes by your height.

Last edited by biglou; 07-26-2012 at 5:24 PM..