Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornElessar86 View Post
Complete BS. I have yet to meet a woman who is not interested in guns.
Talk about a sweeping statement. Guess you don't know any woman who's been through war. I know a few and none want to have anything to do with guns...
Old 02-22-2012, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb58 View Post
Talk about a sweeping statement. Guess you don't know any woman who's been through war. I know a few and none want to have anything to do with guns...
And while your comment was equally generalized, it was also totally unhelpful. Go be negative somewhere else.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 02-23-2012, 5:32 AM

Unhelpful? To point out your sweeping view was wrong and needs inspection? Try meeting women somewhere other than the gun range for some actual variation in opinion, lol.

Last edited by kb58; 02-23-2012 at 5:34 AM..
Old 02-23-2012, 6:48 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Aragorn AND kb58:
don't let this become a testosterone battle ground, please.
it is the Ladies Forum and was always meant to be free of the OT intensity.
if either of you are female, my apologies re the testosterone remark.
if male please note that the moderators have not tolerated males in this area of calguns that do not adhere to this area's intentions. we can argue amongst ourselves w/o needing your help and do so w/o getting personal.
as i recall the OP asked for female opinions.
we haven't heard back from him........
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 02-23-2012, 8:01 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AragornElessar86 View Post
And while your comment was equally generalized, it was also totally unhelpful. Go be negative somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb58 View Post
Unhelpful? To point out your sweeping view was wrong and needs inspection? Try meeting women somewhere other than the gun range for some actual variation in opinion, lol.
Jeez, guys. Take it easy. We're effectively guests in the Ladies Forum. We should respect that fact.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:28 PM

My apologies. I just get PO'd when people dismiss all women as lost to the gun cause. I believe that much of the general female aversion to firearms is cultural, and the "women will never like guns so just give it up" attitude only perpetuates that.

AE86 out.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 02-24-2012, 6:25 AM

I apologise as well. I just get PO'd when people make sweeping generalizations about women. I believe that an aversion to firearms is learned, and sometimes for very valid reasons that can't be dismissed as unimportant.
Old 02-24-2012, 8:25 AM

you both make good points with your apologies...thank you.

yes, the idea that it is cultural and that women will never get over that is a falacy that oddly many men perpetuate.....

yes, the aversion to firearms is learned and sometimes for very valid reasons that should not be dismissed.

for many women its the realization that a gun is a tool to defend oneself with. the birth of a child often brings that realization. its also getting past the male dominated political minefield that women run into when exploring the internet for info re guns and the attitude of many male sales people in gun stores. men say they want more women to be in support of 2A rights and/or become involved in shooting sports but their actions and online words speak loud. in many cases i think it is the re-education of men that needs to happen!

however, there is a movement in the "foodie" world that has many women arming themselves. the goal is to have good, sustainable food on the table and hunting has become an area of interest for women. sometimes the way to get a person interested in guns in the first place is to have that tie-in with an already existing interest.

beating a woman over the head with facts and figures and pure strength of will that "she is going to get a gun and defend herself" attitude isn't productive. for some that approach will make a woman more resistant.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-01-2012, 8:01 PM

Hi Mossy,
I was reading this thread and found it very interesting. There are many different techniques to help make your wife feel more comfortable with handling a weapon.
I had enlisted into the Army and was discharged because of an injury. Before the military I had never fired a weapon, and they know there are many people who have not fired anything in their life. I personally was on the list of never firing anything. When I was handed my M16 I was shaking, I had the cold sweats, and I had no idea what I was going to do. Many things were running through my mind at the time.
The way I overcame my fear and insecurity of my M16 was by handling it, taking it apart and assembling it, and doing some dry fire. We also had dummy rounds, but those were only given to us by our drill sergeants.
What I am trying to say is, allow her to handle, disassemble and assemble the weapon. Purchase some dummy rounds or snap caps to help her better understand what is happening when she puts the magazine into the weapon, and help her understand how the bullet gets chambered, how to tell if one is chambered and how to clear the chamber. I would not suggest live fire until she is comfortable with holding an empty weapon.
Good Luck
Old 03-01-2012, 8:24 PM

Suggest you let her see HOW it works like when you are cleaning the weapon and she can see that there is no danger and that it is simply a machine. Ask her to assist with the cleaning so she will get used to handiing the weapon without any pressure or danger factor. Ditto the "have another female shooter" take her to an indoor range... Somewhere she wont get cold, windblown or dirty (and that has a clean flush potty- kinda important when you are nervous). Then take her to a nice dinner! Reward her and you will most likely soon be whining about all the ammo you buy for her to go shooting.
Old 03-02-2012, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlc.norcal View Post
Suggest you let her see HOW it works like when you are cleaning the weapon and she can see that there is no danger and that it is simply a machine...
Unless she's already interested in mechanical things this will fail. For example, if she has zero interest in helping you rebuilding your car engine - fat chance that the interest will suddenly materialize when you're working on a "deadly weapon."
Old 03-02-2012, 7:26 AM

I can tell you we have been married for forty years and my wife never showed interest in shooting and one year we went harvesting pinion nuts laying out a tarp and shooting the pine cones with a air rifle. This knocks the nuts from the pine cone and we sweep them up and roast them.
All of a sudden she wanted to shoot the cones and I had to buy another air rifle that became hers. One day she came home from Cabelas with a brochure for a CCW class for women. She now has her own guns and a California CCW permit.
The most expensive thing has been the Gun Totin Mommas purses she has taken to buying. They have a compartment for the pistol in the center and she loves them. The search for a gun she is really comfortable with took a little longer. She has now settled on a littl five shot S&W airweight with crimson trace laser grips.
We live on a ranch and she can shoot from the back porch and often gets things laid out so we can shoot together.
Good luck and be patient once it happens it is a wonderful thing.

Bill
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM

There are some programs especially for women that are TAUGHT by women. Check your local area. I know of a few here in Northern California - one is taught by a woman who is an investigator for a county prosecutor who is also a firearms instructor for POST. If I had anyone worried about learning, this is one woman I'd send them right over to for training.
Old 03-25-2012, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

With years of trying to get my wife into shooting and several tries out in the desert..She just felt uncomfortable and partly due to me being a poor instructor. It's difficult to explain what, why and when you've been doing it for many years...To make a long story short,,she wanted to learn and after a few weeks of watching " Dooms day preppers " It drove home the idea of learning how to shoot is important for personal protection for the family..blah blah blah..Well a few weeks ago I found out about a womens shooting club in Vacaville. The lady who started it is an instructor...lets just say my wife took the 2 hour saftey and shoot class and immediately went back this last Saturday and will now do it on a regular basis...It's all about baby steps in my wifes case. My wife is from Great Britian so she's never used to being around guns from the get go...The club is called Taking Aim...or takingaim.com ( I think )

Good Luck...
Old 03-25-2012, 6:23 PM
Veteran Member

Also..to get to this point has taken years..It didn't happen overnight in my case
Old 03-26-2012, 9:48 AM

I have several female friends who are the same way about guns...they feel as if picking up one will cause it to fire. Being that I am female I am always bias in trying to sell guns to females and get them more involved. As far as classes go, I never wanted to go to a women's class alone and sit there with a whole bunch of other women who were alone and learn about something that made me uncomfortable in a strange place. I know my girlfriends feel the same, so even though classes are awesome and valuable they are not for everyone. Sometimes it just takes a good female friend to get another girl comfortable, just last weekend I helped one of my friends with her first attempt at shotgun/trap and now we both cant wait to go again.

P.S. Any ladies that want to go shoot I am down!
Old 05-15-2012, 1:41 PM

as my wife said to me; if I can find a gun with pink color then she will not be as fearful ... it would feel more cozy and friendly to her.

well I been searching for a pink pistol and found none (mostly limited edition and no longer on market).
Old 05-15-2012, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding126 View Post
With years of trying to get my wife into shooting and several tries out in the desert..She just felt uncomfortable and partly due to me being a poor instructor. It's difficult to explain what, why and when you've been doing it for many years...To make a long story short,,she wanted to learn and after a few weeks of watching " Dooms day preppers " It drove home the idea of learning how to shoot is important for personal protection for the family..blah blah blah..Well a few weeks ago I found out about a womens shooting club in Vacaville. The lady who started it is an instructor...lets just say my wife took the 2 hour saftey and shoot class and immediately went back this last Saturday and will now do it on a regular basis...It's all about baby steps in my wifes case. My wife is from Great Britian so she's never used to being around guns from the get go...The club is called Taking Aim...or takingaim.com ( I think )

Good Luck...

The actual website is http://www.takingaimwsc.com/

And thanks for the reference - My wife is also from the UK and has expressed an interest in MAYBE learning to shoot. As I'm ex-Army I suspect I'm not the right one to introduce her to the sport and I'm going to look at getting her to review this one.
Old 05-15-2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmojh View Post
as my wife said to me; if I can find a gun with pink color then she will not be as fearful ... it would feel more cozy and friendly to her.

well I been searching for a pink pistol and found none (mostly limited edition and no longer on market).
The pink is usually an after market thing since I don't think there are any pink guns on the CA roster. But, it's easy to have one Durcoated. There's a thread here in the ladies forum about making a Glock pretty.

A good example is http://www.discountgunsales.com/sear...=search&page=1 with the pink Walthers (and others).
Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 PM

I would recommend an open private range with little activity going on around her if at all possible. When I took my first class a few weeks ago, I was really close to the people next to me and the hot gasses blowing out really bothered me and I kept flinching because of it. I was even getting hit (and cut) by small pieces of shrapnel or metal shavings.

The next week my cousin took me to an outdoor private range which had a small shelter with roof and the amplification of the gun blasts really bothered me that I couldn't concentrate on shooting and feeling safe. People were shooting autos and the vibrations would shake my whole body. I think this would probably be the same at an indoor range. I shot a Glock 17, it didn't fit my hand and the recoil was terrible. I was flinching so badly from the noise and the recoil. I left sad because I thought I would never be able to shoot any handguns and was somewhat terrified of pistols.

I went to a CA Bears event the next week at Burro and the noise was so much better outdoors, some really nice people allowed me to shoot their guns and I was surprised how easy and quiet a .22 was.

I think the ideas of starting with a .22 and going to a women's only course are good. Maybe try a blue training gun just to get her used to finger placement, holding and aiming a weapon. Also if she is willing, to handle an unloaded weapon with no ammo around, then progressing to orange snap caps just to get comfortable.

P.S. At Burro I was very surprised at how easy a Sig P229 was to shoot too. Just a step up from a .22. However the grip was a tad short for me and I ended up with a P226 two days later.
Old 05-16-2012, 9:27 PM

There are varying degrees of discomfort for everyone. This topic isn't specifically isolated to women. Difficult as it may be to imagine on this forum, there are men who do not like to handle firearms as well. I have a co-worker that is "anti" about firearms.

My GF and I have been together for almost 10 years now. In the first 7 years, she was adamant about not having firearms in the house. She had always commented about fearing firearms. For a while, I thought it was serious to the point that I would never own a firearm. Then one day, she told me she at least wanted to shoot one. Now we have 3 handguns in the house. I think her original fear of guns originally stemmed from bad publicity. She was never really well-educated on firearms and home defense. It was always "bad press". We had gone shooting more than several times now. The first few times, I literally had to handle almost all aspects before placing in her hand to shoot at a paper target. As time went on, I added other essential steps. Now she can rack the slide, clear jams, and load her own magazines to a certain extend. All the safety steps were reinforced every single time. In short, I weened her into handguns. So much to the point that she wants one for her very own now. I had thought for the longest time that my GF would never handle a gun, but she got "curious". It is this "curiosity that allowed her to conquer some of her fears. She still gets a bit nervous at times, but she has come a long way in the past 6 months.

To the OP: Your situation is different than mine. I'm not a Psychologist, but I think your wife has an innate fear of firearms. I'm not sure if you tried this already, but it may be worthwhile to back off on the instruction and approach it from a different angle. Have you tried diving into the mental aspect of her fears? Have you asked (nicely) why she is afraid? Maybe she had a past experience which would cause her to fear guns unconditionally.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 PM

where is the OP? its been months......
Quote:
Old 05-17-2012, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
where is the OP? its been months......
Dunno what became of him...........maybe someone asked him whether he thought he'd ever be able to shoot as well as 'Annie Oakley', 'Plinky' Topperwein, or Dot Lind........ ???

cheers

Carla