Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-28-2017, 9:51 AM
Not a mod or lawyer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffinwings View Post
Another question that I need clarification on.

2nd amendment says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Wouldn’t CCW and open carry be bearing of arms?
Hmmm, great point, I had never thought of it that way. We should finally have a discussion about that
Old 09-28-2017, 10:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 09-28-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Hmmm, great point, I had never thought of it that way. We should finally have a discussion about that
Honestly, there is historical precedent that points out that bearing arms includes carrying. I'll have to research what I've read about it to point it out, I'll likely do that this evening and post it.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Active Duty US Navy Since 2003.

Quote:
Fortunately I do not clean my firearms with pee
Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Look at the Ginsburg dissent in Heller
Old 09-28-2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Honestly, there is historical precedent that points out that bearing arms includes carrying. I'll have to research what I've read about it to point it out, I'll likely do that this evening and post it.
I think you missed a certain amount of sarcasm in some responses. The subject has been discussed extensively here on Calguns (including in this thread), in popular press, law review articles, and court opinions. Look at the dissent from denial of cert on this very case just a few months back from Gorsuch and Thomas.

EDIT to add link to dissent: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...6-894_p86b.pdf

Last edited by Cortelli; 09-28-2017 at 5:15 PM.. Reason: Edit to add link to Dissent on Denial of Cert
Old 09-28-2017, 4:52 PM

Cortelli is correct.
The historical precedent you likely saw gryffinwings is in the Heller decision; keep and bear are both individually defined on pages 8-18.
The sarcasm/ribbing is because you're preaching to the choir, but you're correct in your interpretation of the Second Amendment.
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.

Last edited by naeco81; 09-28-2017 at 4:55 PM..
Old 09-28-2017, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeco81 View Post
Cortelli is correct.
The historical precedent you likely saw gryffinwings is in the Heller decision; keep and bear are both individually defined on pages 8-18.
The sarcasm/ribbing is because you're preaching to the choir, but you're correct in your interpretation of the Second Amendment.
Obviously I was preaching, but I was also making sure I wasn't going clinically insane due hearing and seeing so much insanity in this state since being stationed here.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Active Duty US Navy Since 2003.

Quote:
Fortunately I do not clean my firearms with pee
Old 10-05-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Obviously I was preaching, but I was also making sure I wasn't going clinically insane due hearing and seeing so much insanity in this state since being stationed here.
If you are like the rest of us sane individuals it could well be easy to feel in bizarro world to think after 200+ years that people could misinterpret the shortest Amendment in the Bill of Rights.

Happy Days
Old 10-05-2017, 10:41 PM

So now that DC is eating the loss do we have any indication if Peruta is going to petition rehearing of certiorari denial? I think Nichols is the cleaner case, so I'd understand focus on that but curious if anyone from the legal team can comment on this.
Old 10-06-2017, 7:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

We can pretty much put a fork into this case, it's done.
Old 10-06-2017, 8:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This case is done and there is nothing that can bring it back to life. The cycle ends at the Supreme Court with just one attempt. No second bite of the apple.

There are other cases coming up. Also, we can easily refile a case identical to Peruta. We can even use the same plaintiffs and exactly the same copy-paste language. It will get denied quickly due to Peruta and we'll have a fresh new loss at CA-9 to appeal to the Supreme Court.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
...we can easily refile a case identical to Peruta. We can even use the same plaintiffs and exactly the same copy-paste language. It will get denied quickly due to Peruta and we'll have a fresh new loss at CA-9 to appeal to the Supreme Court.
I didn't know this. It would be nice if RBG does what she promised and moves to New Zealand since Trump got elected, then replace her and do exactly this.

I owe FP something.
Old 10-06-2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
This case is done and there is nothing that can bring it back to life. The cycle ends at the Supreme Court with just one attempt. No second bite of the apple.
Peruta is most likely over, and Nichols v Brown is probably the case to watch for 9th circuit. I agree other cases are far more likely but your statement above is factually incorrect. Denial of certiorari normally means a case is completely dead, but in some rare cases a petition for rehearing on certiorari denial has been accepted; second bites at SCOTUS do exist.
From Bruhl, Aaron-Andrew P., "When Is Finality... Final? Rehearing and Resurrection in the Supreme Court" (2011):
Quote:
A second interesting feature of finality in the Supreme Court -and another point of entry for judicial discretion- is that a denial of certiorari might itself turn out not to be truly final. That is because the Court's rules allow a disappointed litigant to file a petition for rehearing of the denial of certiorari. Many litigants file petitions for rehearing, and it is usually a futile gesture. But it sometimes bears fruit. Perhaps the most notable recent grant of rehearing was the Court's decision, in June 2007, to grant certiorari on rehearing in two Guantanamo detainee cases after the Court had denied certiorari a few months before. — (Bruhl 3)