Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-09-2014, 1:47 PM
Fleeing with Tail Between Legs

Default Primary Arms vs Stirkefire vs Lucid HD7

I just received my Primary Arms Micro Dot w/ American Defense quick detach mount and am overall very impressed with this compact and affordable optic. Everything after shipping was about $160. $148.99 for the micro dot w/ american defense mount bundle and the rest was shipping. Although its listed as a discounted bundle on their website, it comes in two separate boxes. One for the micro dot with low base attached and another box with the Ameican Defense quick detach mount which includes some hardware and a sample of Vibra-TITE thread lock compound. It's a matter of loosing 4 allen screws to remove the standard included mount from the MD-06 and use the included American Defense hardware to secure the Micro Dot to it. This optic is offered with a PA mount that saves a bit of money, but it is made of Chinese pot metal. In my experience the mount is just as, if not more, valuable than the optic itself so don't cheap out on the PA mount. When I called PA, they actually steered me away from their own mount because it is made of some very questionable materials and they have had many calls about it coming loose and/or parts breaking on the quick detach latch.

After shooting with the PA micro dot today, and shooting with both the Lucid HD7 and Vortex Strikefire in the past, I would say its a dead tie with the Lucid HD7 and edges out the Vortex. The HD7 has clearer glass, and has the ability to change between 4 different reticles without zero shift and that has been verified by myself and countless other shooters who questioned that claim. It is pretty bulky though, and takes away from the balance of the AR15 quite a bit. The Primary Arms MD-06L adds almost no noticeable weight and the rifle handles the same with or without the optic mounted. The dot is very tight, crisp, and only starts to star out when you have it maxed out in brightness. The windage and elevation adjustments are true and you can hear and feel the clicks as you adjust them. The only downside of the Primary Arms MD-06L is the clarity looking through the optic. It has this somewhat sunburnt haze that would only be more pronounced in anything other than full daylight. Today was a beautiful day in the central coast, and when I instantly compared the HD7 to the Primary Arms, I noticed a difference. Now the PA Micro Dot wasn't bad by any means, but it wasn't as clear. It was on par with the clarity of the Vortex Strikefire though. The Lucid edges both of them out in clarity and options, but also runs about $200 and adds that bulk and weight.

Overall, I chose to run the PA Micro Dot on my M&P 15 and have since put the HD7 on a M&P 15/22. A bit overkill, but much better than the UTG that was on the 22 before.

I'm glad that some of the other Calgunners let me in on PA, because if it was not for this forum I would have never known about them. I figured Lucid and Vortex were the only major players in the affordable/quality red dot scene. PA has a badass variable power AK red dot that they recently released (Im sure most of the PA supporters know what it is) and I will be purchasing one of them for my Saiga once I get it back from North Carolina. It is currently undergoing a full conversion with laminated stock set and threaded barrel and bulgarian flash hider added. I'll definitely be posting pics of that when I get it back. Went with the Russian Red Laminate stock kit through Timbersmith. Anyways, Primary Arms has my vote, and anyone looking for a high quality optic that doesn't care about optics being made in China should definitely give them a look.

Last edited by Brave Sir Robin; 04-09-2014 at 1:56 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 7:34 PM

Yep, the PA microdot is very good & light indeed - I only wished their warranty was as long as Vortex (lifetime). I don't care for the Lucid - no need to have a non-magnified dot that weighs almost 1lb. The mil-spec smaller ACOGs don't weigh over 8oz...
Old 04-09-2014, 7:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Of the three, I'd take the Vortex because of their warranty.

And being that they are red dots... the clarity of the glass really does't matter provided it's not coke bottle bad.

However, everyone has differing opinions and I am glad you love yours.

BTW I say this as someone that owns a PA Micro that I am quite happy with.