Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 04-05-2013, 9:39 AM

Default Castro Valley 4/20-21 Sunday Walk-ons

The Castro Valley shoot shows as sold out, but a lot of the registrations are Saturday-only. There should be space for walk-on shooters on Sunday, for those who have been out before.
Old 04-05-2013, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Well, it would give me a place to wear my new "The regulars are out!" t-shirt.
Old 04-08-2013, 2:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hey, I'm going and bringing a friend who just picked up his first .22 in like 20 years. Never been fired. He has no ammo and one magazine (I think)

So I'll cover his ammo from my precious, precious .22 stash, but will there be anyone there (Chabot, 20/21) that might have a spare 10/22 magazine he can borrow? I'm guessing he only got one with the gougy gun. He bought a 10/22 Take down on gunbroker.
Old 04-08-2013, 3:49 PM

No problem with a loaner 10/22 mag, just have him speak up when bring rifles to the line.

You might suggest he clean and lube the rifle in advance...
Old 04-17-2013, 3:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sorry for the late reply.

OK, that's cool, I'll get him to pipe up!

The event is this weekend, it's Wednesday and HE HASN'T PICKED UP THE RIFLE YET!

He bought it off gunbroker (for a lot) then procrastinated picking it up (work, etc, etc). Then when he finally went to pick it up .... he had to start his 10 day wait! So then he waited, etc, etc, and it's 3 days to the event and it's still waiting to be picked up! He has the scope and stuff, all in boxes and 100 rounds of ammo (I'll have to spot him a box of 500). Plus he hasn't shot in 20 years!

BUT, I really look forward to this and to him having a good time!

I have a feeling that I'LL be the one doing the clean & lube before the shoot...
Old 04-17-2013, 5:09 PM

He should also let us know that the scope is just mounted, and (presumably) not checked for bore alignment, so we can work to get him on paper ASAP.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks! He come over yesterday and left the gun in my safe until tomorrow so I can use my bore sighter to at least get the scope close. I have a GI sling that he can use, but the 10/22 TD has no sling studs or anything. might need to zip tie something on. He has a "blackhawk" sling. We'll figure it out!

He has 3 ruger mags now, so I think that's good to go!

Now to worry about my own rifle!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What are the chances I can borrow a .22 rifle tommorrow on zero notice?

I was cleaning my Marlin 795, and wanted to fix the magazine release, well the hammer spring retaining thingy went flying and is lost, so now I have no .22 to shoot.

I will bring my AR-15, but I'd prefer a .22 for obvious ammo reasons.

It's 12am, so not much hope....

Would the shoot boss maybe have one? I'm not even sure who that is.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh nevermind, after 2 hours of searching, I found the part, sitting on the PEDAL of my garbage can. Black part on the black pedal. GRRR!
Old 04-20-2013, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

Often asking for help is all it takes to find a missing part. FYI PurplePeople is the shoot boss for most bay area shoots (he's not doing the LadySeed!)
Old 04-22-2013, 3:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well as a debriefing for the weekend;

I somehow managed to get my Rifleman score Hurray!
Sadly, my Marlin kept jamming on mags with just two rounds in them, so I had to keep a spare mag next to me in case I had to eject the jammed round and keep up the round count for the stage. Very annoying and it kid of sucks to not have confidence in the gun .. .so in that respect, equipment counts!

The accuracy of the 795 and the cheap Barska scope was pretty darn good, as long as I did my part.

My friend's 10/22 takedown was OK, but since it was basically out of the box, the scope was not zeroed and on top of that, he put on some non-GI sling and just ad-hoc'ed his way though that.

And he put on high scope mounts and never actually got a cheek weld, so I'm hoping he wasn't too disappointed.

I kept pushing him to get the cheek weld built up and we did ask the RO's but there was never really time to do it, and he himself never pushed for it until Sunday morning. I brought an extra GI sling and jerry(jury?) rigged it to the front with some zipties. It was much most stable then, but then he had to leave early, so he never got to shooting good groups.

However, I'll take him to the local range sometime and we'll figure that stuff out.

One thing I think is needed at an Appleseed is just some dedicated time to check people's cheek weld and to help get the slings in order. Basically a duration of time that can be used for people to sort out their rifles.

yes, it takes away time from people who sorted their stuff out before coming, but sometimes it might take extra attention otherwise the shoot is less fun when you're not even on paper! (Not the RO's fault, it's more the shooters fault for not being properly prepared).

However, in my friend's defense, he hadn't shot in 35 years and had the gun in his hands for a whopping 1 day before the shoot! So all things considered, he wasn't doing too badly. I mean, he didn't blink or flinch at all.

That missing part had me frantic.

The second I realized I couldn't find it I just thought "Oh great, there goes the weekend shoot, what a waste." My only options would be to borrow a neighbors never-fired .22 (I don't even know what it is, and neither does he! He bought it years ago, then shoved it in a closet). or shoot my AR-15, but that gun weighs 9.8 lbs, that would have made for a really crappy standing stage!

Anyway, as it turned out, we both had a lot of fun, and I found myself shooting quite well, despite the jams. I imagine with a reliable gun, it would have been really even more fun!
Old 04-22-2013, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Well done! My impression is that it takes 2-3 weekends to make Rifleman typically, and it's not at all unusual for people to make some equipment changes after the first time. It definitely has a way of shaking out any hardware problems.

I think usually a lot of shakeout happens during those initial squares. I'm not sure what happens if you get past that point and you're still having major problems, since I've only gone a couple of times and I always seem to end up next to some good shooters for whatever reason.

I definitely recommend doing an Appleseed with the AR if you get a chance. There's a couple of one day KD shoots (i.e. out to 200 meters) at San Jose on the schedule for this year for people like you who have some experience already.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM

For the August shoot at San Jose, we're thinking of doing centerfire and rimfire 'KD' shoots side-by-side. The centerfires would be shooting stages 1-4 at 100/200/75/100 yards, with the first two stages full size and the others scaled. The rimfires would be at 25/50/75/100 yards, all using scaled targets (the same size as the "100 yard" big silhouette on the QDAQT.) That's a one day shoot.

November is a bit up in the air, but one idea based on comments from the last KD shoot is to remove all the fixed distance targets towards the end of the day, and have an advanced range estimation and 'unknown distance' shoot at steel and other reactive targets. That will also be a one day shoot.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 PM

LW, you weren't the only having mag issues with your 795. There was another similar at the far left end of the line. Be sure every round is seated all the way backwards into the mag, the Marlin seems to be touchy if they are not. Sideways pressure on the mag from your support arm can also make them cranky.

We did do improvised stock build-ups for a number of shooters out there. At least the one time I approached your buddy, he seemed to want to use the gear as it was. We back off when someone says they want to 'run what they brung'.