Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 10-14-2008, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaRover View Post
www.EvilBlackRifleShop.com/store

20s and 30s are 13.50ea

Black are in stock, other colors are getting ahrder to get.
Can CA residents leagally buy those, as they aren't really "rebuild" kits per se.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cable Guy View Post
Can CA residents leagally buy those, as they aren't really "rebuild" kits per se.
He disassembles them. It is not illegal to own parts.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
He disassembles them. It is not illegal to own parts.
Oh, nice, I figured something would have to be done about them. The price of 10/30 pmags is just a tad expensive.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Hey I have a problem, I bought 2 of those p mag 10/30 and I have to slam them in very hard to lock in the magwell. Loaded or unloaded, bolt open or closed same thing. I have some metal 10/30 and they all fit in easily so I know its the p mags themselves. Anyone else have this problem. Its not a big deal just wondering if there is a area to file or sand to make it fit in easier.
Old 10-15-2008, 2:16 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_lover View Post
Hey I have a problem, I bought 2 of those p mag 10/30 and I have to slam them in very hard to lock in the magwell. Loaded or unloaded, bolt open or closed same thing. I have some metal 10/30 and they all fit in easily so I know its the p mags themselves. Anyone else have this problem. Its not a big deal just wondering if there is a area to file or sand to make it fit in easier.
What is the date of your PMAGs?
http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index....roducts_id=271

All mine work great and drop free. The fact you say you have to slam hard even when the bolt is locked back seems odd to me. Is it binding in the mag well? I would inspect the magazine for any wear marks to locate where you are having the issue.

www.riflegear.com
Old 10-15-2008, 2:21 PM

Default 10-30 Pmag

I just recently purchased some 10-30 pmags from an online vendor. They are modifying the 30 round Pmag by placing a machined delrin spacer inside the magazine body. The combination of the spacer as well as the spring reaching the stack height earlier creates a 10 round magazine. The construct is CA compliant. Permancy as discussed in this thread is really difficult to define. Most of the metal magazines have stamped features to interfere with the follower to limit capacity. This is permanent so far as you dont have a file/dremel/bridgeport. So as far as the ideal situation goes, I think that the spacer modified magazines are it. In the going to the range/ LEO situation where you need to be compliant and along the letter of the law they do that. It only holds 10 rounds, period. However in a SHTF situtuation all your doing is taking a spacer out to restore the fully functional 30 round Mag.
Old 10-15-2008, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post

All mine work great and drop free. The fact you say you have to slam hard even when the bolt is locked back seems odd to me. Is it binding in the mag well? I would inspect the magazine for any wear marks to locate where you are having the issue.
Some lowers have magwells that aren't cut correctly.

He should take his upper off the lower and look to see where the mag is binding. Usually the ridges are the issue.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 10-15-2008, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post

Date is 5/08 They are 10/30's so I dont know if they were made like that or were modified by someone. It seems like it may be hitting the mag release thing that sticks out to lock it, but all my other metal type mags work fine. These are the first p mags I bought. I only used them a few times, so maybe after alot of use they will break in. Its nothing that effects performance, they work great just hard to get in. I did notice after a few reloads they wouldnt lock the bolt back when empty, I thought maybe because they were hot and the rifle was hot. I also use a bullet button and im not sure if I could have put it in tighter then normal when I first installed it, but all other type mags work with no problems. I did check for wear and the only spot is on the back rib area 1 inch from top is the wear. But when I slid in the mag it goes in easily until it hits the mag release thing, then I have to slam it in.
Old 10-15-2008, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4ipowered View Post
I just recently purchased some 10-30 pmags from an online vendor. They are modifying the 30 round Pmag by placing a machined delrin spacer inside the magazine body. The combination of the spacer as well as the spring reaching the stack height earlier creates a 10 round magazine. The construct is CA compliant. Permancy as discussed in this thread is really difficult to define. Most of the metal magazines have stamped features to interfere with the follower to limit capacity. This is permanent so far as you dont have a file/dremel/bridgeport. So as far as the ideal situation goes, I think that the spacer modified magazines are it. In the going to the range/ LEO situation where you need to be compliant and along the letter of the law they do that. It only holds 10 rounds, period. However in a SHTF situtuation all your doing is taking a spacer out to restore the fully functional 30 round Mag.
Brilliant idea, where did you get them from?
Old 10-26-2008, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Pmag links to help with the searching.

10/10's http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=116173
10/20's http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=125645

I spoke to a Sheriffs officer about these at the range and said that if you epoxy over the button to remove the base plate that would provide enough permanency. He agrees the wording is vague but no button removes the ability to reverse without ease. Much more than a rivet in the metal mag versions.

Vinz

In Memory Of Babe....I also remember the Eggs and Country fried potatoes that went with that Bacon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fot View Post
In before the penis measurements
ROFL

Last edited by Vinz; 10-26-2008 at 7:05 PM..
Old 10-27-2008, 1:43 PM

Another thought, with both this conversion and a 10/20 conversion would be to drill a small 1/8" hole through the floor plate and mag body. Insert a pin. Fill the hole with a little epoxy. Impossible to remove the floor plate now. But if you move, you can cut the epoxy plug out, drift the pin out, and return the mags to true 30rds
FFL-07 & SOT
We are a CA-DOJ registered FFL and do out of state transfers

www.EvilBlackRifleShop.com

Please email all questions to
sales@EvilBlackRifleShop.com
Old 10-29-2008, 2:25 PM

so dumb question, but since 30 mags are illegal here in the great Republik of Kalifornia, how do we get our hands on them, so we can modify them to become only 10's?
Old 10-29-2008, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha69 View Post
so dumb question, but since 30 mags are illegal here in the great Republik of Kalifornia, how do we get our hands on them, so we can modify them to become only 10's?
Well I just got some last week from 44 mag. You pay an extra $1.75 or something and they will disassemble them as parts, then you modify them and reassemble them for 10 rounders. I am going to use self tapping screws on the sides, then spot weld them. So I ordered 30 rd mags and they took them apart and shipped them. 2 cost me less then $40 total shipped.
Old 10-29-2008, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha69 View Post
See post #50 and check the links....or have me make you a few.

See AlohaRover for mags, usually disassembles them for no charge. Gets you the right follower for a little extra.

vinz

In Memory Of Babe....I also remember the Eggs and Country fried potatoes that went with that Bacon.

Quote:
ROFL
Old 10-30-2008, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Well I just got some last week from 44 mag. You pay an extra $1.75 or something and they will disassemble them as parts, then you modify them and reassemble them for 10 rounders. I am going to use self tapping screws on the sides, then spot weld them. So I ordered 30 rd mags and they took them apart and shipped them. 2 cost me less then $40 total shipped.
How are you going to spot weld the metal screws to a plastic mag?
Old 10-30-2008, 8:26 AM

Quote:
In the going to the range/ LEO situation where you need to be compliant and along the letter of the law they do that. It only holds 10 rounds, period. However in a SHTF situtuation all your doing is taking a spacer out to restore the fully functional 30 round Mag.
Unless the S in the SHTF scenario is one where CA completely falls apart and is no longer existent, you have absolutely NO LEGAL STANDING
to MANUFACTURE a 30 round mag. You will get nailed.
Old 10-30-2008, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

if you didnt notice, the creator of this thread has a web store, you can order the parts from him without paying a "disassemble" fee.for alot cheaper.

A disassemble fee is just another way for some retailers to squeeze more $ from you. it takes about 5 seconds and barely any effort to take a mag apart.
We are grateful for AlohaRover to help us out.
Old 10-30-2008, 2:09 PM

Thanks, and yes since I get asked so much...I do not charge anything to take the mags apart.

The mags cost 13.50ea 30 and 20. Add them to the cart and place your order. Oh and I sell Metal Brownells 30rds for the same price
If I see the address is CA I just take them apart prior to shipping.....No Charge.

Pete
FFL-07 & SOT

Old 10-30-2008, 2:49 PM

Do you "fix" the Brownells the same way?
Old 10-30-2008, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megavolt121 View Post
How are you going to spot weld the metal screws to a plastic mag?
I thought it was the c products 10/30 metal mags, that is what I got, didnt see the pmags.
Old 10-30-2008, 3:27 PM

Quote:
I thought it was the c products 10/30 metal mags, that is what I got, didnt see the pmags.
Darn, I thought you had some nifty flux capacitor powered welder for welding metal to plastic!
Old 10-30-2008, 7:57 PM

Thanks Aloharover for the know how to mod these PMags to 10 round.

Much love to you and your company.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:45 AM

Jeeze, now I feel dumb for spending so much on pre-modified 10/20 C-Products mags.

How difficult is it to put the PMAG back together? All I gleaned from the OP was "disassemble" and "put back together".
Old 11-01-2008, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
Do you "fix" the Brownells the same way?
I have not tried doing anything with metal mags.
FFL-07 & SOT

Old 11-01-2008, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artery View Post
Jeeze, now I feel dumb for spending so much on pre-modified 10/20 C-Products mags.

How difficult is it to put the PMAG back together? All I gleaned from the OP was "disassemble" and "put back together".
In the OP, 5th picture I believe shows the spring and and what I call the floor plate lock plate.
If you look at the bottom of the assembled PMag, there is a slot in the floor plate that the lock plate keys into via spring pressure. Push down on this (ball point pen, screw driver, fork, ect) and slide the base plate off.
FFL-07 & SOT

Old 11-01-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Since you've seen the delrin spacer, I'm assuming you were able to disassemble the magazine. Could you post some pics of the setup disassembled and give some perspective on where the spacer is located etc?

Chris
Old 11-02-2008, 1:48 PM

does anyone have a write on on a 10/20 build? it's similar right?
Old 11-02-2008, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, see post #50. I put a link for all pmag mods.

vinz

Quote:
ROFL
Old 11-02-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinz View Post
Yes, see post #50. I put a link for all pmag mods.

vinz
thank you. Where do you order the rebuild kits from?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlouie87 View Post
thank you. Where do you order the rebuild kits from?
Have you been ? AlohaRiver in this thread IS the seller.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:04 AM

No not sleeping... just haven't read the whole thread.

Thanks though
Old 11-03-2008, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

NiteQwill accusing someone of sleeping....the irony. LOL, j/k guys.

BTW, you can thank NiteQwill for the 10/20 pmag write up. So everyone....THANKS NITEQWILL!!

also take his epoxy warning serious...I have a nice 20 mag follower permanently attached to my work bench. Good times.

vinz

Quote:
ROFL
Old 11-03-2008, 9:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Very close to ordering. What are these special followers for Ca? Definitely want to keep this legal, for at least as long as I'm in California, of course.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14

Last edited by Uxi; 11-03-2008 at 9:14 PM..
Old 11-04-2008, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
Very close to ordering. What are these special followers for Ca? Definitely want to keep this legal, for at least as long as I'm in California, of course.

No special followers
FFL-07 & SOT

Old 11-10-2008, 4:42 PM

Great how to write up. Thank you. Do you expect to be getting the Brownell's mags in anytime soon? Your website lists everything in stock as zero quantity at the moment. I was just wondering how long it may take to receive an order I placed. I have order #298. Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2008, 6:16 PM

Has anyone tried this with the translucent Lancer L5 mags yet?

Also when will you have more pmags in stock? Sold out ATM and pretty much every other place.

Is there a waitlist or something?
Old 11-11-2008, 4:57 AM

People are still ordering magazines. We sold out of PMags and Brownells over two weeks ago. Many people did not notice the - in front of the numebrs an assumed -300 meant I had 300 on hand.

I will be filling orders in the order they were received. I have no idea when I will get more PMags. Rumor is 2-3 months
FFL-07 & SOT

Old 11-13-2008, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megavolt121 View Post
Unless the S in the SHTF scenario is one where CA completely falls apart and is no longer existent, you have absolutely NO LEGAL STANDING
to MANUFACTURE a 30 round mag. You will get nailed.
I kind of think of SHTF as a situation where my biggest concern is no longer the legality of the topics as genuinely silly to argue about as how many rounds a magazine will or will not carry.

And I really hope that I/we as a state dont get into any situations that qualify for that.

Till then please remember two things:
I have not manufactured a thing.
I did not ask for your advice.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 PM

QUOTE=AlohaRover;1685340]People are still ordering magazines. We sold out of PMags and Brownells over two weeks ago. Many people did not notice the - in front of the numebrs an assumed -300 meant I had 300 on hand.

I will be filling orders in the order they were received. I have no idea when I will get more PMags. Rumor is 2-3 months[/QUOTE]

email in bound
Old 11-25-2008, 8:33 PM

Aloha, whats the deal with the $2.50 kit charge? I just saw it up on the front page.

www.theshootersblog.com