Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 4:03 PM
2lo8s's Avatar
2lo8s 2lo8s is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 233
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default Shipping Guns Home

My son, who is a resident of Conn, will be moving home soon.
He has acquired a few very nice pistols that are not on the CalDOJ Roster.
What is the protocol for bringing his guns home??
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 4:29 PM
trigger945's Avatar
trigger945 trigger945 is offline
Calguns Addict
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burbank (So Cal)
Posts: 5,414
iTrader: 114 / 100%

Maybe the below can help. I had this question once and the community was helpful with their responses. I think once you find out that the guns are not banned, your son can bring them to CA and then complete a form and pay $19 to register the handguns. Can't find the link to the form tho...

Originally Posted by trigger945
Just to clarify, what is the difference between "legal guns" in CA and guns on the roster? Seems like if one is a resident of a state and bought a legal gun there, then moved to CA to be a resident, the gun can be brought in and registered as long as it is a "legal" gun? How does one know which ones are legal and which ones are not?

Check the flow chart. If it's not listed by name or characteristics it is legal. Keep in mind you still can't bring in magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 4:39 PM
2lo8s's Avatar
2lo8s 2lo8s is offline
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 233
iTrader: 30 / 100%

Can he ship them home using an overnight carrier like Fedex
and register them once he arrives?
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 5:33 PM
appagohm's Avatar
appagohm appagohm is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,141
iTrader: 77 / 100%

i believe if he ships them you have to ship it to a local FFL with SSE if
it's off list. If he brings them, he has to register them here. I'm sure other will
be more specific.

"Gun control is like trying
to reduce drunk driving
by making it tougher for
sober people to own cars"
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 5:40 PM
morrcarr67's Avatar
morrcarr67 morrcarr67 is online now
Calguns Addict
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 8,994
iTrader: 14 / 100%

He can ship them but not sure why he would want to spend that kind of money.

He'll be looking at $60-80 per handgun.

Why doesn't he want to just bring them with him?
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 5:58 PM
dwtt dwtt is offline
Calguns Addict
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,487
iTrader: 7 / 100%

Originally Posted by 2lo8s View Post
Can he ship them home using an overnight carrier like Fedex
and register them once he arrives?
As others have mentioned, he can bring the guns on the plane with him, or carry them in the trunk of his car if he's driving out to CA. The form to fill out is a BOF 4010A, New Residen Handgun Ownership Report, and he can't really fill out and send in this form until after he's arrived in CA. One of the boxes in the form asks for the California driver's license or ID number. I know someone has link to the BOF website with this form, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

A more important matter is what guns are your son bringing to CA? Does he have any guns not on the CA approved list that has sat in his gun safe, unused and unloved, and willing to sell by PPT once he's arrived? Really, we want to know.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 6:10 PM
SMR510's Avatar
SMR510 SMR510 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 886
iTrader: 1 / 100%

Hopefully he has 1911 frames that he wants to sell me.

Shipping does not require the use of a FFL in either state but like others have said it would be expensive. I would just bring them with him on the plane or in the car/truck. I believe that the form must be sent in within 60 days of moving into the state so he will have a little time to get everything sorted out with ID and all that.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 6:14 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 35,907
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6

See also
Once again, we're in CA Bill Season.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

Let us simply oppose them all - write, call, attend meetings with legislators and tell them they're wrong.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host., the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.