Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

following. I have wanted a sturdy for a long time.
Old 10-14-2017, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar View Post
Looks like we have 21 on the list. I wouldn't mind putting a deposit ASAP. Maybe if we can, maybe do a run down on the list who is 100%. Maybe during the weekend find out how many people are actually willing and able to put a down payment this following week and call sturdy with their information. If we're lucky and have 15+, we can maybe get this thing started. At least we can get a rough estimate and clue how serious most people are instead of waiting for November since some people want to get the ball moving ASAP.

No. I have a plan and am sticking to it. I understand you want your safe. I want mine, too. Doing what you suggest is going to double the amount of work for me. I've already posted this group buy to two forums and reddit. I've contacted people manually on Facebook that have shown interest. I have to contract everyone when the group buy is about to close and again on the day it closes. That's enough leg work on my part. If you can think of other places to post the group buy and still within the rules of it, please do. Your help finding people would be greatly appreciated. I haven't done Twitter or Instagram. I'm sure there are other forum's.

The last two weeks I've been getting 4-5 signups per week. People are still seeing the group buy and signing up.

I already talked to Sturdy Safe about taking deposits early. It would make it easy for us to count up the number of serious people but that's just not efficient enough for them. It increases the work / distraction for them and the major part of a group buy is about getting the word out. The person running the group buy is supposed to manage the list...not the manufacturer. If they have to do more work there is less incentive for them to offer the extra discount. I've talked to people at work that might be interested in a good quality safe. That's the best I can do.

Any thoughts on where else we can appropriately post the group buy?
Old 10-14-2017, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior40er View Post
following. I have wanted a sturdy for a long time.
Do you want to buy one with a significant discount on top the discounted pricing they'll give you over the phone?

They have a layaway / payoff type thing you can inquire about. As far as I know you can put the $300 down payment when the group buy closes and then pay it off over a few months. (Not sure what their timeframe is. I thought it was 3 or 6 months)
Old 10-14-2017, 6:44 AM

Tagged
Old 10-14-2017, 8:59 AM

My guess is the longer it takes, the more people we lose too... point of diminishing returns... I'll stick with the group but am anxious
Old 10-14-2017, 9:06 AM

I guarantee if we closed the group buy today we would not have anywhere near 15 people. It's just the way people work. Out of 21 people, you'll have 5 or 6 that are out of town, away from internet or working swing schedules. You'll have 3 or 4 that have had unexpected bills come up. You'll have at least 3 or 4 that either changed their mind or their spouse said no to the large purchase. In the end all we can control is ourselves. Even with 30 on the list we may not get 15 but we'll get close enough that it isn't worth waiting longer. I sure hope this group of people is more reliable than that, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 10-14-2017, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Does it hurt to ask the group if they are each prepared to place the deposit earlier?
Old 10-14-2017, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
Does it hurt to ask the group if they are each prepared to place the deposit earlier?
It is very time consuming to communicate with 21 people individually. Not everyone is subscribed to this thread. So, yes, it can hurt to ask the group if they are prepared because I will get about 10 answers (give or take a few) but it still doesn't guarantee that we'll get 15.

To recap: I have ran a group buy before (different forum / different product). I have heard from other people who have ran Sturdy Safe group buys... all our combined experience says that we need about 30 people on the list to MAYBE get 14 or 15 actual buyers. It takes me a minute or two to write a reply on a forum. I type fast. It takes hours and days to communicate with 21+ people individually because some people don't check their email but once every few days. I have already spent a number of hours sharing this group buy on 2 forums, contacting people directly that have expressed interest and answered a number of questions both on this thread and via PM.

I have to draw a line somewhere. I said from the beginning that when we get enough people I will close the group buy early and I will contact everyone to let them know when it is closing. I will contact everyone AGAIN on the day the group buy closes so they get a reminder to make their payment to Sturdy Safe that day. I committed to not spamming people. They trusted me with their cell phone numbers and email addresses. I am not going to use their contact information beyond what I committed up front.

If you want this group buy to be closed sooner, I suggest you come up with other places to share it and make sure more people are aware of it. I've got this forum, AR15 and Reddit covered. If you know of other forums, Instagram followers, Twitter, or places to share and can do so following the rules that Sturdy Safe laid down, please do. Your help would be appreciated.

At the current rate of people adding to the list, I estimate the list closing in about 2-3 weeks. If you increase that rate, it might close in a week or less. I have put in enough time already. I am committed to putting in enough time in the future. I will continue communicate as best I can with people in this thread and via PMs. I am not taking on any more than that.

Before I started this thread, I waited several days to see if anyone else was going to step forward and do it. No one did. This is the best I can do. I hope you understand.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:45 AM

We all appreciate your effort...!!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:46 AM

Subject change... those passing on fire lining. Why? I keep going back and forth...
Old 10-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Manufacturer/Vendor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankstone View Post
Subject change... those passing on fire lining. Why? I keep going back and forth...
I passed on fire lining because of my vicinity to the local fire stations which are top notch. I'm less than a couple miles from 2 stations in a quite but populous suburb. I was also on some what of a budget.

Next safe I'll get fire lined because you never know what can happen (look at current fire situation). Also I may move. What if the department doesn't want to enter because of ammunition?
Old 10-14-2017, 12:15 PM

https://www.sturdysafe.com/pages/stu...ire-liner-info

About 1/2 way down on the page.

Fire resistant insulation is not for everyone, and the benefit is, you wont need to pay for it, and it's far better to get our safe non insulated, than a thinner steeled safe, lined with sheetrock, that wont help you much in the way of fire or security. At least you would be gaining the security with our thick steel. If your insurance covers everything inside the safe anyways, and you would be happy to get replacement items, then you may not want the fire liner option. Other reasons include; if you are located within a five mile radius of the fire department, and have a quick response time, if the safe will be placed in a low burn zone area, such as an encased brick area, and if you have a sprinkler system over the safe.
Old 10-14-2017, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankstone View Post
For me it was a numbers decision.
I have never suffered a house fire or burglary but I believe, based on statistics, I am much more likely to encounter a burglary than a fire that would threaten my guns. Additionally, I have more control over the most common things that cause house fires but I have no control over what causes burglaries. I can make it harder for burglars but can't really eliminate them. I can eliminate the most common causes of house fires.

The fire lining with Sturdy safes, and any of the other RSC's, are not tested by UL or any other company using meaningful, equal, standards so the fire protection abilities are pretty much unproven.

With all that in mind I chose to spend that extra money on more steel and a larger safe.
Old 10-14-2017, 3:52 PM

This is what my wife did to my lawn mower. 2000 degree Ceramic insulation, it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3L...w?usp=drivesdk

I agree though, burglary is a far bigger risk...that's why I'm buying another Sturdy Safe. Sturdy is the only company I know of that has actually tested their insulation methods in actual house burn downs. I think it depends on what you're putting in your safe, too.
Old 10-14-2017, 4:04 PM

For reference I'm looking at either the 42 or 48" safe so fire lining is $700-$800 adder.
I do plan on getting one of those low cost "fire boxes" to put inside my safe for storing delicate items that I need to keep close to me (rather than in a safe deposit box at a bank) that are a hassle to replace ....like a passport.
Old 10-14-2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky42 View Post
This is what my wife did to my lawn mower. 2000 degree Ceramic insulation, it is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3L...w?usp=drivesdk

I agree though, burglary is a far bigger risk...that's why I'm buying another Sturdy Safe. Sturdy is the only company I know of that has actually tested their insulation methods in actual house burn downs. I think it depends on what you're putting in your safe, too.
Wow. Think maybe she was playing you? Like when guys put dish soap in the washing machine so she won't ask them to wash clothes again.

Before I realized I can't get my safe in the closet I wanted to, which backs up to a shower, I was going to add a fire sprinkler over my safe. I may still add a sprinkler but would have to run it a bit further.

I think Sturdy made a good decision to go with ceramic insulation for their fire insulation. Im positive it will do better in a fire than sheetrock. The problem with house fires is there are so many variables that it is tough, and very expensive, to know if a given fire material will allow your stuff to survive.
I'm sure all of us, if we could afford it, would buy a UL tested safe with a fire and burglary rating. But when the funds are limited we are forced to choose the best we can afford. Even though I decided against the fire lining I do believe Sturdy has the best burglary/fire protection in its class.
Old 10-14-2017, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarky42 View Post
It is very time consuming to communicate with 21 people individually. Not everyone is subscribed to this thread. So, yes, it can hurt to ask the group if they are prepared because I will get about 10 answers (give or take a few) but it still doesn't guarantee that we'll get 15.

To recap: I have ran a group buy before (different forum / different product). I have heard from other people who have ran Sturdy Safe group buys... all our combined experience says that we need about 30 people on the list to MAYBE get 14 or 15 actual buyers. It takes me a minute or two to write a reply on a forum. I type fast. It takes hours and days to communicate with 21+ people individually because some people don't check their email but once every few days. I have already spent a number of hours sharing this group buy on 2 forums, contacting people directly that have expressed interest and answered a number of questions both on this thread and via PM.

I have to draw a line somewhere. I said from the beginning that when we get enough people I will close the group buy early and I will contact everyone to let them know when it is closing. I will contact everyone AGAIN on the day the group buy closes so they get a reminder to make their payment to Sturdy Safe that day. I committed to not spamming people. They trusted me with their cell phone numbers and email addresses. I am not going to use their contact information beyond what I committed up front.

If you want this group buy to be closed sooner, I suggest you come up with other places to share it and make sure more people are aware of it. I've got this forum, AR15 and Reddit covered. If you know of other forums, Instagram followers, Twitter, or places to share and can do so following the rules that Sturdy Safe laid down, please do. Your help would be appreciated.

At the current rate of people adding to the list, I estimate the list closing in about 2-3 weeks. If you increase that rate, it might close in a week or less. I have put in enough time already. I am committed to putting in enough time in the future. I will continue communicate as best I can with people in this thread and via PMs. I am not taking on any more than that.

Before I started this thread, I waited several days to see if anyone else was going to step forward and do it. No one did. This is the best I can do. I hope you understand.

No problem, we are ready when you are. Thanks!
Old 10-14-2017, 5:09 PM

No problem also quark. No problem for me waiting, even though I'm anxious ha.
Old 10-14-2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter6288 View Post
Wow. Think maybe she was playing you? Like when guys put dish soap in the washing machine so she won't ask them to wash clothes again
You should see what she did to her thumb opening a package of sunglasses.
Old 10-14-2017, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
No problem, we are ready when you are. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar View Post
No problem also quark. No problem for me waiting, even though I'm anxious ha.
Thanks. I'm not upset. I'm just explaining how / where I have to stop. I appreciate you hearing me out.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM

Default I am in

I am in also