Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Oregon spring assist okay?

I'll be mozeying to Oregon for a few days this month, and I keep reading
OR: spring assist=bad, AND spring assist=good in OR.

Which is it?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Generally after a long winter we welcome spring here.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:32 AM

Springs are not good for diving there. Oregon is more of a platform diving state.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:22 AM
Get Lost...
CGN Contributor

Spring assisted blades? Look here.

https://knifeup.com/oregon-knife-laws/

It’s basically legal to own any type of blade, as long as you aren’t a convicted felon.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletfighter View Post

It’s basically legal to own any type of blade, as long as you aren’t a convicted felon.
I am still unclear on spring-assist opening blades if the pressure is applied to the bladee to open, not direct spring like a switch blade.

Traveling there for work soon, and I use blades all the time at work, so I would like to know... carry is my desire, not just ownership.

Last edited by the86d; 01-11-2019 at 11:31 AM..
Old 01-11-2019, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletfighter View Post

Quoted from the linked page:
"It is illegal in Oregon to conceal carry, on your person,

a dirk, dagger, or stabbing knife,

a butterfly knife, gravity knife,

or any knife with a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring

or by centrifugal force."

I read this to mean assisted knives are not kosher in Oregon and I carry accordingly when I visit...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 01-11-2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
Quoted from the linked page:
"It is illegal in Oregon to conceal carry, on your person,

a dirk, dagger, or stabbing knife,

a butterfly knife, gravity knife,

or any knife with a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring

or by centrifugal force."

I read this to mean assisted knives are not kosher in Oregon and I carry accordingly when I visit...
Quote:
He or she also may not open or conceal carry a dirk, dagger, or stiletto
So the rub is going to be what is and isn't considered "open carry" and concealed carry".

Clearly all the way inside your pocket or in a handbag is probably a no-go.

But a folder with a clip and a lanyard, clipped on your pocket might be. In CA it is considered open carry.

Quote:
Oregon statute does not define concealed carry. Case law in Oregon, however, has offered some guidance on what exactly concealed carry is.
Report this ad

In State v. Turner, the Supreme Court of Oregon declared that a weapon was concealed if it was not readily identifiable as a weapon or if the person carrying it attempted to obscure the fact that he or she was carrying a weapon. The Court also said that a weapon was concealed within the meaning of the statute even if it was recognizable if there is also evidence of an imperfect attempt to prevent it from being discovered or recognized.

In State v. Crumal, the Court found that the conceal carry statute referred to weapons that were on and moved along with the carrier’s body. It did not include weapons that were just in reasonable proximity to the person or in some place where the weapons would be deemed to be in the constructive possession of the person. Thus, the Court ruled that a defendant could not be convicted of carrying a concealed weapon, where the weapon was being carried under the floor mat on the passenger side of a vehicle.

It's pretty similar to CA law IMO. I carry spring assisted and speed-safe kershaw knives. AND I add a 6" long pararcord, knotted lanyard on all of them. I clip the knife inside my front pocket so that it is clear that I carry a pocket knife. Intent would be pretty hard to prove if I have it clipped openly and have a long lanyard attached.

Last edited by skilletboy; 01-11-2019 at 1:52 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 1:50 PM

From the comments of that oregon knife laws site:

Quote:
BenM

I was stopped while walking home in downtown Springfield with a kershaw blur on my pocket. This is a 3.4″ blade that swings to lock open and, due to the knife´s torsion bar, otherwise is held closed. Although it is A) a pocketknife (under any definition), B) there was no aggression or violence, C) kershaw´s SpeedSafe opening function is federally legal, and D) it was in view (clipped to my pocket) – the officer was stretching for an arrest and called it a concealed weapon. Along with a Disorderly for disagreeing with him. They will be overturned, but I still had to wear cuffs to jail. No matter what you´re carrying be aware that the vagueness of the statutes work both ways regardless of intent.

I know in CA they specifically added wording in the knife laws to take away the confusion about this. See here:

https://socallawblog.blogspot.com/search?q=knife

Quote:
To clarify all the confusion regarding what did and didn't qualify as a "switchblade" in California, the legislature revamped section 17235 of the Penal Code by adding one sentence to the law. The addition, in italics, was intended to clarify that assisted openers ARE legal to carry in the State of California. Today, that code section reads as follows:

"A 'switchblade knife' means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a
spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife, or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever. 'Switchblade knife' does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position."

Oregon really needs to get on this, because this is clearly not the intention of the law.

Old 01-11-2019, 5:20 PM

Switchblades are legal in Oregon and so are assisted opening blades.