Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-12-2012, 1:17 AM

Default CoCo County Sheriff Carry Questions

Hello all; I intend on applying to the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department in 2013 (starting academy in 2014 hopefully) and I want to familiarize myself with the carry rules.

Now, my weapon of choice is the Ruger SR9 or its larger sibling the SR40. The ergonomics and sight are natural for me, and I can easily pass proficiency testing with either.

First question:
Can I "qualify" with my Rugers and carry one of them on duty or does the department only allow certain guns to be duty weapons?

Second question:
Can I carry my Rugers off duty?
I've gotten mixed answers on this, because some say you can only carry the guns you're qualified with and others say you can technically carry anything so long as you qualified to carry concealed.

Third Question:
Does the Sheriff's department restrict or specify particular weapons as back-up-guns?

Last edited by db42; 11-12-2012 at 2:00 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 6:19 AM

I dont work there, but I have yet to hear of a sheriffs dept that will force you to carry a full size duty gun, off duty. You should be able to carry what ever your able to qualify with.

As for your duty gun, I would strongly suggest you look at alternatives to the SR9/40. IMO theres many far superior duty weapons for you to choose.
Old 11-12-2012, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

As far as I know Contra Costa only authorizes Sig. Issue is either a P226 or P229, in .40 S&W. Deputies may carry a P220 that they personally purchased.

Off duty is the same from what I was told by the deputy I purchased my Glock 27 from, he was not happy that he could no longer carry it. I don't know of a single department that will allow someone to carry a gun off duty that they have not qualified with, and or has been approved/inspected by the department range staff.

As far as a bug goes, honestly I don't know. I'd be willing to bet that they do have policy regs that do cover it.
Old 11-12-2012, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteve View Post
I dont work there, but I have yet to hear of a sheriffs dept that will force you to carry a full size duty gun, off duty. You should be able to carry what ever your able to qualify with.
Not the issue, since I want to carry a full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteve View Post
As for your duty gun, I would strongly suggest you look at alternatives to the SR9/40. IMO theres many far superior duty weapons for you to choose.
The SR9 is on par with the Glock 17 in every worthwhile criteria - and has vastly superior sights and a better grip angle.
If you think the SR9 is of inferior quality, you've likely never fired one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
As far as I know Contra Costa only authorizes Sig. Issue is either a P226 or P229, in .40 S&W. Deputies may carry a P220 that they personally purchased.
I've heard that from some people.
I've also heard that they use Sigs and any brand 1911 for duty.
I've also heard that they only use Sigs right now, but are switching to Glocks.
Long story short I've heard MANY variations of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Off duty is the same from what I was told by the deputy I purchased my Glock 27 from, he was not happy that he could no longer carry it. I don't know of a single department that will allow someone to carry a gun off duty that they have not qualified with, and or has been approved/inspected by the department range staff.
From what I've heard from other sources he should be able to carry it now.
That's largely the problem - all the information I'm getting on this is from people outside the department who've heard it from this guy or that guy.

Can anyone from the Sheriff's Department chime in?
Old 11-12-2012, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by db42 View Post
I've also heard that they use Sigs and any brand 1911 for duty.
I've also heard that they only use Sigs right now, but are switching to Glocks.
I know quite a few CoCo deputies and worked with some when I worked code enforcement at contract city. I don't know anyone or have ever seen anyone who carried a 1911. Livingston did come from Concord where 1911's are common, but I haven't seen anyone with one in the east end.

As far as dropping the Sig's for Glocks. They just switched to the Sig's about 4 years ago, not too sure the county has the funds to make a switch now. They aren't really known for updating firearms more than once every 10 years or so.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Let me begin by congratulating you are your decision to join the LE family. I recently retired after a 35 year career, and can honestly say I cannot think of another career path I would have enjoyed more. LE is a great career with lots of both highs and lows. But in the final analysis, it was a wonderfully way to spend 35 years.

Now having said that let me make the observation that while I understand this is primarily a firearm related web site, the specific make or model of firearm you carry on duty is such a minor issue in the greater scheme of things that you should be concentrating on any number of other issues.

First and foremost while you will have to qualify to an acceptable level with your duty firearm, that is one of the easier things you will be required to master in the academy. A great many cadets have much more difficulty with report writing and basic grammar and spelling that shooting. Unless you sailed through English composition at the college level, do yourself a favor and take a basic writing course of some sort at your local community college.

Many more cadets fail the academy as a result of academic deficiencies than either physical fitness or a lack of shooting skills. While it is difficult to provide specific examples of what to expect, think it terms of Marine Corps boot camp while carrying a full academic load at a four year university. The POST required tests are not a snap, and you will be required to pass all of them to graduate.

Work on your academic preparation at least as much as you do your physical fitness and shooting skills.

Last edited by 003; 11-12-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 1:53 PM

I completely agree with 003.

As far as the SR series being equal to a glock, I cant agree on that to say the least. I worked for a ffl for years and sold many of them, shot many of them, and knew many that swore by them.... Even actually own a SR pistol... But none for a duty pistol, as its is not in the same realm as far as reliability goes which imo should be your #1 concern in the LE field. I am not a huge glock advocate by any means. I would just never trust my life day in and day out to a SR pistol is all. In my opinion I would look towards a glock first and formost going into the academy for a couple reasons. Its the most widely issued firearm, and has the most distinct ergo of the several things most departments issue.. Simply put, if you have to qualify with something odd feeling, then at least you had all academy to get accustomed to it. If you have the opportunity to carry something else then it will be easier to transfer from a glock then to a glock IMO.
Old 11-12-2012, 3:14 PM

I don't know any department in America that uses the Ruger pistols of any kind as a department issued.
Old 11-12-2012, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca101 View Post
I don't know any department in America that uses the Ruger pistols of any kind as a department issued.
I heard of a small department back east that did. Given all the mim parts, as well as the cast slide, I would not feel confident in carrying it at all.
Old 11-12-2012, 6:13 PM

I left CoCo 6 years ago and at the time S&W 5906 was the issued handguns. Back then they had a very restrictive approved carry list and I don't remember Ruger being on it. Now they issue Sigs but don't know what their approved list looks like. I'll ask around but I've never seen anyone carry anything other than Sig since the change from S&W.

If they do pick you up and sponsor you through the academy, you will shoot a Sig there whether you like it or not.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca101 View Post
It's been a few years, but I have seen FCI Lompoc staff carry the Ruger P85 when transporting inmates outside the facility.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 PM

I've gotten the answers I needed from a current deputy - thanks to all who responded.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I think you are getting ahead of yourself, based on your original post that you haven't even applied yet.

What you carry/use now is irrelevant. Most departments have a list of weapons that are authorized for on/off duty use.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 PM

Sometimes the discussions here making me feel that I need to be an honor student in English department and also a school athlete just to pass the academy.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
...Now having said that let me make the observation that while I understand this is primarily a firearm related web site, the specific make or model of firearm you carry on duty is such a minor issue in the greater scheme of things that you should be concentrating on any number of other issues.

First and foremost while you will have to qualify to an acceptable level with your duty firearm, that is one of the easier things you will be required to master in the academy. A great many cadets have much more difficulty with report writing and basic grammar and spelling that shooting. Unless you sailed through English composition at the college level, do yourself a favor and take a basic writing course of some sort at your local community college.

Many more cadets fail the academy as a result of academic deficiencies than either physical fitness or a lack of shooting skills. While it is difficult to provide specific examples of what to expect, think it terms of Marine Corps boot camp while carrying a full academic load at a four year university. The POST required tests are not a snap, and you will be required to pass all of them to graduate.

Work on your academic preparation at least as much as you do your physical fitness and shooting skills.

IMO, as a retired leo of 27yrs., this is the most important post in this thread. The OP, anyone considering entering the le field or already working for a Sheriff's Dept. and working custody prior to patrol, should take this to heart.

OP, now that you have had your question answered by a current deputy, you can begin serious practicing with the weapon used. Hopefully, if you make the academy, the instructors won't have any problem breaking you of any bad habits you may have picked up. I am not saying you will, but it does occur.

I worked for LASD and while a sgt. at the jail at the end of my career, I had occasion to have a lot of really nice and eager young deputies work for me. Unfortunately, many of them could not write a report to save their life. I didn't expect them to turn in a perfect crime report right from the get go as I realized they were learning. I am referring to the poor grammar, spelling and punctuation that I saw. I used to joking tell them to put in a period every so often so there would be at least a few sentences in the report.

I advised them that once they went to patrol, they would have 6 months to pass training. If they failed due to report writing, they would be sent back to the jail and would have one year to remediate on their own. They would then be sent to another station. if they were unable to complete training this time, they would have two choices. One, they could resign or two, they could demote.

Choosing the the latter, would mean they would become a Custody Assistant. If they did not apply again and get hired as a deputy sometime in the future, they would remain as a CA and perform custody duties in either a custody facility, a court lock up or, if lucky, a station jail. They would no longer be sworn, allowed to carry a firearm on duty and their salary would probably be reduced by two thirds. I do not know if they would be permitted a ccw permit to carry while off duty.

If one works for a Police Agency and does not make it off training, you are let go since a PD generally does not maintain a jail.

So, while which on duty/off duty firearm is important to you now and is the subject of this thread, please take time to seriously consider what 003 and I have written to ensure that you have a long and fruitful career.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2012, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
I think you are getting ahead of yourself, based on your original post that you haven't even applied yet.

What you carry/use now is irrelevant. Most departments have a list of weapons that are authorized for on/off duty use.
+1

What they allow their deputies to carry are the least of your concerns.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 PM

1) no
2) yes but you're out of policy and on your own
3) yes

Don't worry about it, if you are affiliated going through the academy you will shoot what is given to you. Don't really believe in choices for recruits until you graduate.
Old 11-17-2012, 3:13 PM

I was a dep at coco several years ago. Their firearm policy is pretty strict. You will be issued a sig 40, and have the option of carrying an hk. Off duty not sure, but I think you will be limited to the above brands including smith Wesson. I think the new sheriff is more laxed and I'm sure the firearm policy will be broadened soon.