Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-18-2018, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up Activists take a page from NRA to quietly overturn knife restrictions across U.S.

Quote:
Ritter, 65, said that knives, like guns, should be considered arms protected by the Second Amendment. He doesn't support any restriction on knives - not on switchblades or push daggers or even the ballistic knives that shoot like spears from a handle.

That's become a winning argument. Twenty-one states have repealed or weakened their knife laws since 2010, many of them with bipartisan support, including Colorado, Michigan and Illinois. New York came close to doing the same last year. Ohio could be next. Texas passed its bill last year despite a high-profile stabbing death just days before lawmakers voted. And Knife Rights, with little financial backing, has been working behind the scenes to help make it happen.

"A lot of people said it would be impossible to repeal a switchblade law in any state. Insane. Tilting at windmills," Ritter said. "Turns out they were wrong."

The success of Knife Rights comes as calls for weapons bans have intensified following mass shootings, such as the one here in Las Vegas last year that left 58 people dead.

Guns are by far the leading cause of homicides in the nation.

But knives are No. 2, according to the FBI, making up 11 percent of killings in 2016 and a growing number of violent crimes.

Yet knives have escaped comparable scrutiny.
More at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...915-story.html

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 09-18-2018, 8:55 PM

Knives are awesome. Criminals are gonna carry crappy switchblades if they want anyways. Literally every week there is an article locally about a gangbangee caught in possession of a gun, illegal. The laws hurt honest good people, I'd like to buy a 350-400 OTF knife. How many criminals gonna be using one of those?

I hope we get butterflies back too. That's most idiotic ban ever.

Red
Old 09-18-2018, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Meanwhile the murder rate in London exceeds that of NYC. However due to GB strict gun control, almost all London murders were committed with knives. The Lord Mayor of London has proposed a ban on knives stating “there is no reason for a person to carry a knife on the street”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2018, 9:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Man with a gun = gunman.

Man with a knife = man with a knife.
Old 09-19-2018, 9:13 AM

And a man with a gun AND a knife? (Hint... Two Posts above)

All switchblades are legal to carry here in Utah.. Blade Ops snd Scheels here in Salt Lake have all the nice ones (Benchmade etc).

The problem is you may forget you have them when entering federal land... ie national parks.. where they are not allowed.. An unfortunate accident..

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 09-19-2018 at 2:01 PM..
Old 09-20-2018, 12:33 AM

There was a pretty high-level case some time ago that established that you couldn't prohibit switchblades to people missing an arm. The court tried to lock up a war veteran who'd had his arm shot off, and carried a switchblade to gut the fish he caught recreationally. This wasn't a great look for a court, and they lost at some stage.

Presumably, this precedent would apply to some reasonable set of permanent disabilities of one arm which fall short of the arm actually being gone. Which would itself be a basis for challenging the law in some aspects, such as allowing me to bring a switchblade when backpacking, since it's not unreasonable that I might sustain a temporary disability of one arm. Which, if you think about it, is also the sort of thing that could happen to me in the sort of really serious fight that would justify a deadly force response. Oh wait, we're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
I hope we get butterflies back too. That's most idiotic ban ever.
More idiotic inasmuch as, as you seem to imply, it's one that actually puts us in danger. Butterfly knives are terrible for murdering people. They sell much more effective and legal assassination tools at REI. And yet criminals like butterfly knives because criminals are idiots. This is something we should be taking advantage of. I'd prefer bad guys to spend an extra half-second fumbling a presentation, possibly screwing up due to nerves and cutting themselves.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Every muzzie in town will now be carrying machettes
Old 09-20-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Sikhs hardest hit. "Everybody's doing it. We don't feel cool anymore" said one community spokesman. "We've tried wearing even bigger turbans, but it's just not the same."
Old 09-20-2018, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Man with a gun = gunman.

Man with a knife = man with a knife.
Ha ha

I'm not sure if it's really a 2nd Amendment issue. But, I do agree there shouldn't be any restrictions.

I'm glad people are fighting for knife rights.

I use my EDC knife almost everyday. NO, I'm not cutting or stabbing people. But, it can be used in self-defense.

I can't believe the pansies that want to ban everything that makes them FEEL unsafe. Humans (in general) are emotional, irrational, easily distracted, and easily manipulated... our very nature makes us a danger to our selves (I'm lucky to have survived my teens -- ha ha). People are also inventive and, as we know, will always find ways to kill each other--- sorry pansies --you'll never be 100% safe.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 09-20-2018, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Knife law is an endless exercise in stupidity

Even worse than firearms law.
Old 09-20-2018, 4:08 PM

Kevfin, the 2nd amendment is the Right of the people to keep and bear ARMS. It is plural not only because of the number of arms but also the type of arms. A sword or knife or axe are all weapons of war, and all have been carried to war by solders within the past 10 years (though far fewer swords than knives and axes).

Personally I believe others Arms are in included too, but it's an even further uphill battle for those.
Old 09-20-2018, 4:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yep, knives are arms.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

Selling a bunch of C&R and other rifles here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...php?p=20061212
Old 09-20-2018, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERLAB View Post
Kevfin, the 2nd amendment is the Right of the people to keep and bear ARMS. It is plural not only because of the number of arms but also the type of arms. A sword or knife or axe are all weapons of war, and all have been carried to war by solders within the past 10 years (though far fewer swords than knives and axes).

Personally I believe others Arms are in included too, but it's an even further uphill battle for those.
I don’t disagree with you- knives should be classified as arms and agree there shouldn’t be restrictions. I haven’t read enough on it to know the legal precedents. I can only hope, that for those of us who carry knives, that we keep winning over states.

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded
Old 09-20-2018, 6:35 PM

I've often wondered since I believe it was NH first repealed their knife laws; if a company were to make a ballistic knife in a state with no laws restricting knives, and sell it in that state only, would it be legal to own and carry in that state?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 10:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Not just...

Crazies just gonna be crazy.

No knife laws would have stopped this either.

Police: Man attacks Fremont neighbor with machete, victim out of coma
Old 09-21-2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisagoodname View Post
Not just...

Crazies just gonna be crazy.

No knife laws would have stopped this either.

Police: Man attacks Fremont neighbor with machete, victim out of coma
Nor this.. A crazy neighbor. And this "weapon" has been used in multiple incidents.

https://fox13now.com/2018/09/20/driv...rom-the-scene/
Old 09-21-2018, 3:54 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I think it's funny that I can get a permit to travel vertually anywhere I want to in the state with up to 3 loaded handguns concealed in my pants, but not a bread knife - those are too dangerous.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 09-21-2018 at 3:57 PM..