Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 07-24-2016, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Harbor Freight rechargables and eneloop, vs others?

I have been out of the rechargeable battery loop for a while now, while using things such as 3rd party 360 controller battery packs (USB rechargeable), and such.

Anyway, I am jumping back on the AA and AAA rechargeable NiMH train, after a hiatus due to some energizers that didn't last long... in number of charges.

Anyone have some moderate to long-term use of these (in # of charges before they stopped performing) brands such as Eneloop (4th gen it appears), X2Power, and Harbor Freight NiMH, or even other brands that lasted "quite a long time" ("few hundred") minimum charges?

Are the Harbor Freight brands of AA and AA NiMH complete-crap?

Hell, drop some knowledge of some that lasted the least number of charges if care to share... I am interested.
Old 07-24-2016, 4:16 PM

i gone with others even amazon brand but ended up with eneloop from costco for the best price.
Old 07-24-2016, 4:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Are the Harbor Freight brands of AA and AA NiMH complete-crap?
I don't see any reason their batteries should be any different than the rest of their products.
Old 07-24-2016, 5:05 PM

Default Yep total crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
I don't see any reason their batteries should be any different than the rest of their products.
My harbor freight batteries took a charge then faded out over a week returned them and got my money back Enerloop have a good rep but I haven't seen them in costco in a while
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 07-26-2016, 6:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Welp, I got 24 Fujitsu AAA's, and 12 Eneloop Az's, and added an authentic eneloop charger. The Fujitsu's look like the same number of charges and (750 vs. 800mah) specs as the eneloop. We'll compare and contrast longevity. All are listed as LSD. Each set was about $30/pk.

Last edited by the86d; 07-26-2016 at 7:12 AM..
Old 07-26-2016, 7:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'd avoid Harbor Freight but that's just because their other products seem flakey. Mostly I use Enloops, but I've had good luck with Amazon rechargeables as well. For what it's worth The Wire Cutter recently tested and compared rechargeable AA batteries.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...ble-batteries/

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-26-2016, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
I'd avoid Harbor Freight but that's just because their other products seem flakey. Mostly I use Enloops, but I've had good luck with Amazon rechargeables as well. For what it's worth The Wire Cutter recently tested and compared rechargeable AA batteries.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...ble-batteries/
Yes, I came across that page when researching, but "their pick" was $5/each energizers ($20/4)...
And that is the brand that stopped charging and why I stopped buying rechargeable NiMH batts for YEARS.

Granted I could be screwed on the ebay batts in the mail, but I'll be looking for counterfeits, and all us sellers.

Last edited by the86d; 07-26-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Old 07-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I used to buy a lot of NiHM cells... mostly generic, ebay, or whatever I came across in local stores. Every one of them has died and is now out of service. Some just die sitting in storage...

After buying Eneloop cells, I never looked back. Its well worth its price.

I've had the same big Costco pack of Eneloops in service for years, and some sit in storage for a while, months on end before they get used. Most in flashlights and higher end test equipment.

At first they seemed really expensive but it was worth it IMO.
Old 07-26-2016, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
At first they seemed really expensive but it was worth it IMO.
they only seem expensive when you look at it one battery vs the other brand one battery. when you take into account you will replace the other brand 2-3 times while the Eneloop keeps going it starts looking very cheap.
Old 07-26-2016, 2:23 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Eneloop

/thread

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 07-26-2016, 2:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Harbor Freight products are sometimes great for the "use once then throw it away because it'll just break the 2nd time you try, and you really only got that item at HF because it's the only time in 20 years you've ever needed it". That's pretty much the opposite use case one would expect for a rechargeable battery.
Old 07-26-2016, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Another vote for Eneloops, I have the harbor freight crap ones somewhere and I tried to give them away with no takers.

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
"I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"
Count Palatine of Posen
Old 07-27-2016, 12:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes, I came across that page when researching, but "their pick" was $5/each energizers ($20/4)...
And that is the brand that stopped charging and why I stopped buying rechargeable NiMH batts for YEARS.

Granted I could be screwed on the ebay batts in the mail, but I'll be looking for counterfeits, and all us sellers.
Formulations change, but I suspect that your problem was the charger. I've seen a cheap charger ruin Enloops and I've seen a good charger work great with Enloops, Energizers, and Amazon branded batteries. I own a couple of EBL 12-bay chargers for AA and AAA batteries, and a Nitecore charger for my 18650 and RCR123 batteries. A good charger charges, maintains and does not overcharge batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OT7HSBO
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBGDK8M

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Last edited by sholling; 07-27-2016 at 12:42 AM..
Old 07-27-2016, 12:43 AM

I've been using eneloops in every application that will take them for years.

I haven't kept any stats, but I haven't needed to replace any of them.

I have a branded Panasonic Eneloop charger that charges cells individually. I think this is a lot better than the units that charge them in groups
Old 07-27-2016, 12:45 AM

Eneloops are quality. Get the starter kit at Costco. I'm referring only to AA and AAA. Even C is a different ball game.
Old 07-27-2016, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Formulations change, but I suspect that your problem was the charger. I've seen a cheap charger ruin Enloops and I've seen a good charger work great with Enloops, Energizers, and Amazon branded batteries. I own a couple of EBL 12-bay chargers for AA and AAA batteries, and a Nitecore charger for my 18650 and RCR123 batteries. A good charger charges, maintains and does not overcharge batteries.

This! The quality of the charger can make a huge difference. I've tried a bunch of batteries and a few chargers over the years and have settled on eneloops and this charger from Nitecore:

https://www.amazon.com/BUNDLE-compat...=Nitecore+digi

It does a great job of conditioning the batteries to get max life out of them and will individually charge just about any of the popular form factor rechargeable from AAA to 18650 in Ni-CAD, Ni-MH and Lion:

It brought some batteries back toile that previous chargers wouldn't charge anymore and I haven't had to retire a battery of any kind since buying it. The 4 AAA USB charger that came in the bundle is cool as not only will it act as a battery pack when charged, but I can recharge AAs in it from my Goal Zero or Brunton portable solar panels.

Costco often has the starter packs with like 8 AA and 4 AAA Envelops with a simple eneloop branded charger for around $30.00 and it usually includes a couple of sleeves that let you use the AAs as C or D cells. It's a great place to start, but you can find envelops all day at good deals on Amazon.

I typically carry a CR123 based light (Fenix or 4 Sevens) when I travel as they are light, compact and a couple spare batteries are easy to carry, but these days, the lights I use around the house everyday (literally) are all running eneloop AAs.
Old 07-27-2016, 4:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I was using Energizer batts with an Energizer charger.

I have a Nitecore i4 for my eCig, and some flashlight 18650s, and used it to charge some Harbor Freight NiMH batts that are in my smartTV remote, as I do not want any acid in the one remote I have for the thing... which is the main reason to try NiMH again.

$32.99/12=~$2.75 ea for AA Eneloop
$31.45/24=~$1.31 ea for AAA Fujitsu
Much better than packs of 4 for $14-$20 ($3.50-$5.00 each), but with 36 batts that I'd like to keep charged for when the power drops (LED lights and such) and for small electrical devices I'm probably going to have to get a larger charger that accepts more batteries. LED lights worked wonders when the power went out, I think it was last year about this time... the kids could see all around downstairs.

Again, we shall see how they do... as they are all rated for 2000+ charges, per the MFR.

Since you are recommending EBL chargers, how are their batteries?
Their rechargeable batts. seem reasonably priced too.

Last edited by the86d; 07-27-2016 at 5:30 AM..
Old 07-29-2016, 7:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Since you are recommending EBL chargers, how are their batteries?
Their rechargeable batts. seem reasonably priced too.
I have not tried their batteries.

Old 07-29-2016, 7:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I've had the starter eneloop from costco for about 2 yrs now. Haven't had any problems with them recharging. But I'm not a heavy battery user (no kids toys) so maybe they have been recharged 5-6 times in 2 yrs. They seem to almost last as long as regular batteries so actually thought of getting some more. I do got to say the new ones are a step up from the old NiCads. Now those were total crap if you never discharged them completely before recharging.

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by SWalt; 07-29-2016 at 7:51 AM..
Old 07-29-2016, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Eneloop

/thread
Ditto. Every other rechargeable battery I have ever tried I have had issues with.

Enloops just work. And they hold their charge.

Don't waste your time with anything else.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

About 6-7 years ago and after a lot of research, I went with the AA and AAA eneloops. They pull flashlight duty mostly and have been excellent. Have no idea on number of charges.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-29-2016, 6:04 PM

Beware counterfeit/fake Eneloops - tons of them out there on Ebay, Amazon, etc. BatteryJunction.com may not have the lowest price but you know you're getting the real thing...
Old 07-30-2016, 7:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Beware counterfeit/fake Eneloops - tons of them out there on Ebay, Amazon, etc. BatteryJunction.com may not have the lowest price but you know you're getting the real thing...
There is the stamp on the side, and they appear (via multiple checks, I could find for compare) to be legit.

I think I got a counterfeit charger though... in the cheap China plastic with a sticky strip and the tab to hang from a retail spike...
Old 07-30-2016, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

I guess it's time to get some of these for rechargeable organization too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PBNvEFAhCs

AND AAA's too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u4_D9mnMB4
Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I guess it's time to get some of these for rechargeable organization too:
Great idea!

As for HF, I bought a handful once. Junk is all I can say.

Eneloops @ Costco seem to be the best bang for the buck.
Old 07-31-2016, 4:36 AM
Calguns Addict

It looks like Costco has the same issues with their site I referenced here:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1222877

Do a search for rice, or rechargeable and the results are very limited...
Do they sell more rechargeable toothbrushes than batteries?
Old 07-31-2016, 3:03 PM

Buy Eneloops if you like to pay 50% more for the label. Amazon Basics high-capacity NiMH batteries are rebranded Eneloop Pros, but cost 1/3rd less. Just Google "are eneloop pros and amazon basics the same". I've got maybe a couple dozen Eneloop cells and 3x as many Amazon Basics.

In this pic you can see that these Amazon Basics NiMH high capacity precharged (i.e. low self-discharge) batteries are testing out at over their 2400mAh capacity. That's the same as Eneloop Pros, because they are the same. The Eneloops in this pic (previous generation) have 20% lower capacity, but cost the same as the Amazon Basics. Eneloop Pros are $30 for 8, $10 more than 4th generation Eneloops, or the Amazon Basics high-capacity cells.

Low self-discharge cells don't lose their capacity even after months on the shelf. All the premium batteries have been LSD for years now.

My recommendation is a La Crosse charger (BC-700 or better) and Amazon Basics high-capacity NiMH batteries. Unless you have very basic needs, the charger in the Costco bundle is inadequate.

Last edited by BuddyBoy; 07-31-2016 at 3:08 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 5:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Mortini Riseth... Necromancy.

Are you all still using the chargers mentioned in this thread?

Battery life with those chargers?
Old 11-16-2017, 2:01 PM

Amazon basics are the way to go. They are eneloop re branded. I just threw away an eneloop a couple of days ago. It was the first eneloop I've ever had to throw away. I put the date of purchase and sequential numbers on all new rechargeables when I get them. I bought this eneloop in 2007 and it has been used in a device since I bought it.
Old 11-16-2017, 2:17 PM

+1 on Amazon (black) Basics.

BTW, Costco has the Eneloop starter bundle featured this month. Saw them in the aisle end-cap today.

Inventor of Moodog D-Fog for eyepro :: Founder of NYCAirsoft :: NRA Life Member
Old 11-17-2017, 1:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
Amazon basics are the way to go. They are eneloop re branded. I just threw away an eneloop a couple of days ago. It was the first eneloop I've ever had to throw away. I put the date of purchase and sequential numbers on all new rechargeables when I get them. I bought this eneloop in 2007 and it has been used in a device since I bought it.
Are you using the eneloop charger?
Other chargers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoondogIndustries View Post
+1 on Amazon (black) Basics.

BTW, Costco has the Eneloop starter bundle featured this month. Saw them in the aisle end-cap today.
No Costco membership in my house, but maybe it's time...
Are Black BASICs the same as black eneloops, and white basics the same as white eneloops?

(AKA: White more charge-cycles, black more capacity but less number of charge-cycles?)

Tenergy chargers any good for NiMH AA/AAA?
I have used RCR123A LiFePO(4?) batteries for years, on multiple devices with their chargers, and they seem to last a LONG time in charge-discharge cycles.
They seem to have some of the only >4 (12 and 16 bay look GOOD) AA/AAA chargers, and are one of the big names I recognize (even from the early-mid eCig mod days).

Since most of these smart chargers shut off power to charged batts, is there an issue w/leaving batts in the charger so when they drop they auto-top-off?
It'd be nice to know at least the batts in the charger will be full(, even if LSD can be trusted in storage for long periods of time).
If we went a week w/out power (like some in SD did), we'd go through some flashlight batts...

Last edited by the86d; 11-17-2017 at 2:24 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Are you using the eneloop charger?
Other chargers?
I have eneloop chargers but I don't use them. I use La Crosse Technology chargers and nitecore chargers now. I'm always on the prowl for better chargers.

Tenergy makes good chargers. I don't leave charged batteries on the chargers even if the charger has a cut off. With LSD batteries the loss is small. Once a year or so I will throw the batteries I am not using at the time on for a refresh charge. LSD batteries don't loose much of a charge even at a year of non use.

Last edited by gorn5150; 11-17-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 12:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I hate the eneloop I got from Costco

Each flashlight had dead batteries.

In the wireless mouse, they went flat fast- 2 months

It’s easier to buy batteries on sale and replace the mouse and key board batteries every year or so

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson