Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-23-2017, 1:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Mesh wifi with ethernet backhaul

Anyone have one? I'm looking into Mesh for home since my old asus router does have some difficulty plus my dell xps15 wifi sucks. I already switched the wifi card on the laptop from killer network (qualcomm 802.11n) to intel a/c, and it still sucks. sometimes the tablets don't connect unless i go closer first, then it connects and my little one can go back to his desk.

i was thinking of just getting another router and configure it as a repeater. reading thru articles, some say that's not as good as mesh since your machine may still be connecting to the original AP and may require you to disconnect and reconnect to get to the repeater/closer AP? (Is that right/true? even if you set the wifi to highest setting for roaming agressiveness?) and if you walk back to area near the original AP, same thing happens?

seems like only google wifi and eero has ethernet backhaul. pretty disappointed as i thought this would be common/standard.
Old 11-23-2017, 3:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I love the idea of mesh with an ethernet or dedicated channel backhaul but all of the handful of USB 802.11ac adapters that I've tried suck (most are slow 1x1 or 2x2 or just sucked). In my case I have an Asus AC3200 wireless router yet none of my AC adapters would let me take full advantage of a 150/150Mb/s fiber connection. My solution was to retask an old Asus AC1900 router as a wireless network bridge. No I'm not getting gigabit ethernet speeds but for wireless the speeds that I'm getting are darned fast.

Before I'd spend a ton of money I'd do a bit of analysis and optimization. Ask yourself how far from the router is the laptop? Is the router centrally located or stuck in a far corner of the house? Is the router up high or did you bury it under a desk? Are there metal shelves, cabinets, appliances between your laptop and router? I'd start there before I threw a ton of money at the problem.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 11-23-2017, 9:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks Sholling. How do you avoid a device still connected to the old a/p vs. the repeater a/p? router is in central location but the walls are probably that kill it. i am hardwired in 3 locations (living room included) hence i thought of a wired bridge for a while but couldn't find a way to make it work with same ssid and devices can connect to the stronger signal ap.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
Thanks Sholling. How do you avoid a device still connected to the old a/p vs. the repeater a/p? router is in central location but the walls are probably that kill it. i am hardwired in 3 locations (living room included) hence i thought of a wired bridge for a while but couldn't find a way to make it work with same ssid and devices can connect to the stronger signal ap.
Start with finding out if that really is the problem. For that I use Wifi Analyzer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....wifi.analyzer

If you really do have dead zones then you could relocate your router or possibly setup access points at the exiting Ethernet drops, but even with the same SSID smooth transitions are not guaranteed.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Old 11-26-2017, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

i used two different wifi analyzers. One i used in the past but had to reinstall in phone plus a different app for comparison. 2.4Ghz looks OK but weak in the garage. I use wifi in the garage also. 5Ghz worse but as expected since 5Ghz is weaker over distance. I try to use 5Ghz for me while 2.4Ghz is for rest of family, but only if I"m on wifi. I usually am hard wired on all PCs and only wifi would be my tablet and personal and work mobile phone.

There is a minor dead spot behind wall where the router is at. Wall just separates the kitchen and family room, but it's also next to where the wall ends and you can enter either kitchen/family rooms.

Garage is week for sure.

I guess I can do a wired bridge and put a 2nd router in living room to extend signal to garage? I have ethernet ports in living room to set up wired bridge as an ethernet backhaul.
Old 12-11-2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
Start with finding out if that really is the problem. For that I use Wifi Analyzer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....wifi.analyzer

If you really do have dead zones then you could relocate your router or possibly setup access points at the exiting Ethernet drops, but even with the same SSID smooth transitions are not guaranteed.
just curious if you could ever get a smooth transition with multiple separate access points without having a wireless controller that controls the authentication?

working on my ccna so learning all this stuffs now.
Old 12-11-2017, 7:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbutler View Post
just curious if you could ever get a smooth transition with multiple separate access points without having a wireless controller that controls the authentication?

working on my ccna so learning all this stuffs now.
Honestly I'm not sure. I've used multiple access points with the same SSID (each with its own channels) but I'm not sure how well (if at all) transitions worked. Worst case disconnect and reconnect and your device should grab the one with the best signal.

Last edited by sholling; 12-11-2017 at 7:06 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 7:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
I guess I can do a wired bridge and put a 2nd router in living room to extend signal to garage? I have ethernet ports in living room to set up wired bridge as an ethernet backhaul.
I've been out of the industry for a few years but I stay up to date and still help my friends with their issues. One of the most common problems that I run into is when someone tries to hide their ugly router under a desk or behind a cabinet in a far corner of the house. Get it up high and near the center of the house and see if that helps. Another option is to place an access point at a central location in a ceiling crawlspace. I'm intrigued by this one but I have NOT tested it. If your house is less than 2000 sq ft and you are on 802.11ac that should be enough to reach the whole house. If you are on 802.11n then life will suck because 802.11n's range sucks.

I'm all for the idea of dedicated access points to cover dead zones but don't expect smooth transitions even if you are giving them all the same SSID (each should be on its own channels). Mostly transitions work but sometimes they just dont. I used this system for years and it suited my needs very nicely.

Using myself for an example, all of my portable devices connect to an Asus AC3200 802.11 tri-band router (overkill for me and an Asus AC1900 should be plenty for most homes) and all of my devices are setup to use dual band 802.11ac. Tri-band, if your devices are compatible, just allows you load balance across one 2.4ghz and two 5ghz channels. Anyway, I use cheap ($40-60) refurb T-Mobile Asus AC1900 routers in bridge mode as wireless adapters for systems with crappy onboard wireless and I've used them as access points and get phenomenal speeds for wireless.

Last edited by sholling; 12-11-2017 at 11:56 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

This is what you want.

https://unifi-sdn.ubnt.com/

I have them all over, multiple sites... awesome stuff. Affordable too.

Their CloudKey controller is a solid way to start. Get that and start adding APs. With or without wired Ethernet backbaul. I have even used wireless backhall to get physical network cable into other places since the Pro AP has its own internal switch...

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-cloud-key/

The web portals / consoles and iOS application are fantastic.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 12-11-2017 at 8:34 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 10:26 PM

I have had great success with the Netgear Orbi.
I now have 100% coverage throughout the house upstairs,downstairs and outside.

That's with a router and a single satellite. Seamless switching.
Latest firmware alllows ethernet backhaul but I stick with the wireless backhaul.
Add another satellite and configuration can be set to allow daisy chain mode.

There are multiple models suited to all house sizes.
Old 12-18-2017, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
That's with a router and a single satellite. Seamless switching.
Latest firmware alllows ethernet backhaul but I stick with the wireless backhaul.
Add another satellite and configuration can be set to allow daisy chain mode.
Any reason you don't leverage the ethernet backhaul? Or possibly don't have ethernet ports for it?