Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 10-27-2017, 7:25 PM

Default Remote Scope transmitter/receiver system on the cheap

The system is fairly simple. A Cheap spotting scope, a $5 garage sale tripod, A FPV drone transmitter/receiver pair, a CCD board camera, a battery, some wood scraps and your Android smart phone.

The video below is 600 yds, but I've tested the system at 1000 yds. I think I can do better with a pair of directional antennas. Now that I know it works, I'll have to invest in those.

You need a phone that will OTG video. Most new ones will. My Samsung S5 does, my tablet doesn't.

The idea is to attach the camera to the scope viewfinder and transmit the signal back to the firing line where you view it on your smartphone.
Products: Most items from Banggood, but Amazon can have cheaper prices sometimes. The tripod and scope aren't included as you likely have them already.

Eachine ROTG01 UVC OTG 5.8G 150CH Full Channel FPV Receiver For Android Mobile Phone Tablet Smartphone $23
Aomway 5.8GHz FPV 4 Leaf Clover AV Transmission RHCP Antenna 1 Pair Blue with Canopy $12.99
12V 8 x AA Battery Clip Slot Holder Stack Box Case 6 Inch Leads Wire $1.95
60mm Low Loss Antenna Extension Cord Wire Fixed Base for Antenna SMA RP-SMA $2.09
SMA Female To RP-SMA Male Adapter Connector (920352) US$1.80
1 x FPV 1000TVL Mini Camera FOV 90° 3.3V-16V PAL NTSC Switchable For ZMR250 QAV250 210 180 RC Multirotor 2.8mm (1058704) US$9.99
ImmersionRC 600MW 5.8 GHz A/V Transmitter $26.50 (AMAZON)
Male/Female JST plug pairs from Amazon. $6.99 for 10 pair.

The build goes like this.

For the receive end, its simple. Replace the OEM antenna with one of the circularly polarized antenna using the SMA Female To RP-SMA Male Adapter. It is silly there are so many connector genders. Done. Load software that is in the instructions or use any other USB camera software. I use CameraFi. I find the software for the receiver crashes too much.

For the transmitter end you need a scope mount. I took three 2x2" squares of 3/4" MDF. The bottom two have a 1.25" hole drilled thru. The top one is 5/8ths. Measure your board camera and scope eyepiece and make them whatever size you need. On my scope the eyepiece is just a tad tight, so I can slide it up and down to get the focus right. As it turns out, fully seated is best. I might deepen the scope hole a tad and see if I can do better. Note also that my CCD camera has an index feature that is larger in diameter than the lens and I had to cut a notch in the 5/8th hole or it cocked the camera and offset the image. The three layers are just epoxied together.

I then made the transmitter mount. Just another little piece of 1/4" MDF Glued to the eyepiece adapter. I put a few holes in it to hold the receiver and antenna with zipties. It had to be close enough so the camera cable would reach or I'd have mounted it somewhere else.

I bought a 60mm long flexible cable to go between the camera and antenna as I'd heard the antenna connector on this transmitter was a bit delicate and I didn't want a hard connection.

I put JST connectors on the transmitter and battery box wires for convienience. The battery box just has a ziptie loop to hang from a tripod knob.

Total cost about $85 plus my time and the scope and tripod.

I set the camera about 100 ft from the target and use the lowest optical power. Forcus and aim the scope with the eyepiece. Then attach the camera mount. I then need to fine focus using the phone and receiver. But, you can, of course do what you want. That just works on my range as it places the tripod behind the 400 yard berm.

I think I can get the camera lens a bit closer and get full frame video. I'll work on that.

And you end up with pics and video like this:

Old 10-27-2017, 7:30 PM

Good job.

I did the same but I use a cheap gopro knock off and I ipad. Max distance I have is a mile n change. In SD quality and minimal delay.
Old 10-27-2017, 7:49 PM

How do you get the distance? Cellular? I don't want to be limited to a cellular signal.
Old 10-27-2017, 8:02 PM

Running fpv gear as well just the highest watts I can find. Also need a little fan to keep heatsinks cooled.

Once I get the mounting figured out in the pelican box's I'll post up.
Old 10-27-2017, 9:32 PM

Tagged
Old 10-28-2017, 6:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

IDK a $500 leupold Ventana 60X picks up hits at a mile just fine
Old 10-28-2017, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
IDK a $500 leupold Ventana 60X picks up hits at a mile just fine
It sure does! But that's not fun.
Old 10-28-2017, 9:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyy View Post
It sure does! But that's not fun.
Nor is screwing with something electronic that WILL fail in the field when it's needed most.
Old 10-28-2017, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Nor is screwing with something electronic that WILL fail in the field when it's needed most.
Let's not turn the thread into something else okay?

Some people like to mess with tech some don't
Old 10-28-2017, 1:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Let's not turn the thread into something else okay?

Some people like to mess with tech some don't
I'm not trying to turn this into anything.

If you can come up with a system that can TX real time or even a slight lag of 1 sec or so but I want a TX range of four miles or more. problem is band width a wattage and you don't have enough on unlicensed equipment. So all this is nothing more than a novelty and a toy.
Old 10-28-2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:

If you can come up with a system that can TX real time or even a slight lag of 1 sec or so but I want a TX range of four miles or more. problem is band width a wattage and you don't have enough on unlicensed equipment. So all this is nothing more than a novelty and a toy.
You can do that just a matter of how much you want to put into it. Your post was it's going to fail when the op is just sharing something he did and darn cool. My method is cheap and I know it which is the point.

If you want your 4miles with zero delay let me know I can design that under 10k easy and using over the counter hardware and legal.

Couple raspberry Pi, car batteries, neat WiFi stuff, couple switches and a monitor or two.
Old 10-29-2017, 9:02 AM

This is one half of a WIFI bridge. The Ubiquiti claims it will span 5km. I've run it at 2600y.

IMG_0408.jpg

I used an HD IP security camera at the target. This allowed all shooters to monitor the stream at the same time. I used motion detection to auto-magically capture each hit to an SD card.

Streaming the audio to a Bluetooth speaker was useful. A miss sounds like a whiff or small snap. But, the gong strikes were like a cathedral bell.

Cheers,
Old 10-29-2017, 6:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You can do that just a matter of how much you want to put into it. Your post was it's going to fail when the op is just sharing something he did and darn cool. My method is cheap and I know it which is the point.

If you want your 4miles with zero delay let me know I can design that under 10k easy and using over the counter hardware and legal.

Couple raspberry Pi, car batteries, neat WiFi stuff, couple switches and a monitor or two.
And there we are again $10K Nope. I'd rather hover a $2K drone
Old 10-29-2017, 6:57 PM
Casual Plinker
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

hm a couple microwave dishes would be a few hundred. I see no way it will hit 10k.
Old 10-29-2017, 6:58 PM

Quote:

Some men just want to watch the forum burn...
Old 10-29-2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csshih View Post
hm a couple microwave dishes would be a few hundred. I see no way it will hit 10k.
2k in hardware 8k for wasting my time.
Old 10-29-2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus View Post
This is one half of a WIFI bridge. The Ubiquiti claims it will span 5km. I've run it at 2600y.

Attachment 652116

I used an HD IP security camera at the target. This allowed all shooters to monitor the stream at the same time. I used motion detection to auto-magically capture each hit to an SD card.

Streaming the audio to a Bluetooth speaker was useful. A miss sounds like a whiff or small snap. But, the gong strikes were like a cathedral bell.

Cheers,
Love seeing the ubnt hardware, super cheap and super easy.
Old 10-29-2017, 8:14 PM
Casual Plinker
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
2k in hardware 8k for wasting my time.
aha! excellent.
Old 10-30-2017, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Good job.

I did the same but I use a cheap gopro knock off and I ipad. Max distance I have is a mile n change. In SD quality and minimal delay.
I have a GoPro and an old iPhone 4. If you could tell me how to make those work together at 1000 yards I'd be super stoked. I'm very mechanical, just not electronics smart.
Old 10-30-2017, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
I have a GoPro and an old iPhone 4. If you could tell me how to make those work together at 1000 yards I'd be super stoked. I'm very mechanical, just not electronics smart.
The basics are...

from the gopro out the usb to a video transmitter. you can spend days on which to pick for a transmitter and receiver. http://a.co/b3WXpgM with some patch antennas, on the then receiver end you can just us a portable 7in monitor or to a wifi video transmitter to the iphone/ipad.

I took this route and slowly putting it together.

Seeing someone here rock ubnt hardware would make it easy to go further but adding cost.
Old 10-30-2017, 9:52 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The basics are...

from the gopro out the usb to a video transmitter. you can spend days on which to pick for a transmitter and receiver. http://a.co/b3WXpgM with some patch antennas, on the then receiver end you can just us a portable 7in monitor or to a wifi video transmitter to the iphone/ipad.

I took this route and slowly putting it together.

Seeing someone here rock ubnt hardware would make it easy to go further but adding cost.

What were your limiting factors for broadcasting at SD quality? Which GoPro model? Thanks

To the OP, thanks for sharing ... some of us tinker and build simply because and this may inspire a new pet project or two.
Old 10-31-2017, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
This cable will allow you to connect the GoPro to the OP's rig.

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-ACMPS-3.../dp/B00A3MY6V4

I don't know if Apple supports OTG video input.
Cheers,
Old 11-03-2017, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus View Post
This cable will allow you to connect the GoPro to the OP's rig.

https://www.amazon.com/GoPro-ACMPS-3.../dp/B00A3MY6V4

I don't know if Apple supports OTG video input.
Cheers,
the Apple wont thats why I use a wifi connection to the video feed via some app.