Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

So there are 226,288 weapons in the registry, total, including all other periods.

They got 70,000 say of 1.5 million, that's slightly less than 5%.

And this garbage article has the antis claiming this works and is a victory and helps LEO do their jobs. What a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 07-17-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkjjj View Post
I
People vote. Not guns. Having 300 million guns in civilian hands doesn't help much, if that translates into only 10-20 million votes.
With a 44-37% Democrat vs. Republican split, 5-10% of eligible voters swing elections.

Quote:
If we are to increase our ranks, we must absolutely focus on getting as many moderates as possible to "buy that first gun". So they can protect their family. After all, every person on here started their collection with that very first gun.
Right. We need celebrity endorsements. Lots of people would buy guns and demand concealed carry permits if the Kardashians were living the pew pew life on their show.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:48 PM

The joke is on the DOJ, who can’t even finish the registration process when they wrote the system themselves. Makes the DMV look half competent
Old 07-17-2018, 1:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
So there are 226,288 weapons in the registry, total, including all other periods.

And this garbage article has the antis claiming this works and is a victory and helps LEO do their jobs. What a joke.
I’m shocked at how many in comparison to the population of California.

Guns are not a normal item let alone a legally owned item in a household.

You are not going to win at the polls with these numbers.
Old 07-17-2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post

Different priorities vs a small rural state. 95% of households in Maine and 85% in Oregon. To me that’s the norm.

I am glad folks aren’t registering. Folks in freestates will tell you you have to be an idiot to register any firearm with the state.

I will be an idiot come November when I actually buy my first firearm in California. The irony is it’s a lever action and is cheaper in California than Maine. Crazy. Then I am moving back to a freestate and wouldn’t have paid the high price they go for outside of California.

Military Veteran
DHS veteran
“An assualt rifle by definition is a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use. A semiautomatic Ar15/Ak47 type firearm with a standard magazine release is not considered an assualt rifle”......Governor LePage

Last edited by Endless; 07-17-2018 at 1:48 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Looks like the inital report was too soon and it's more like what Librarian said, reg is up?

Reg up 43% Story

"Californians have applied to register 68,848 additional assault weapons in the last 11 months"
Maybe they are finally catching up to all the registrations in the system? That's surprising. Or else they are counting the applications versus actual completed registrations.
Old 07-17-2018, 2:50 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by haodoken View Post
Maybe they are finally catching up to all the registrations in the system? That's surprising. Or else they are counting the applications versus actual completed registrations.
Whats nuts is:

70,000 applications

30 employees

that's 2400 applications for people to process per employee

261 days in a working year, that would mean 10 applications per day

6700 processed so far, so 233 per employee

That means in a year they did less than 1 application a day per employee?? I know lots could be at the end but these seems almost comical.

At this rate the remaining 63,000 applications will take 2100 days to finish? Am I doing this math right at 30 applications a day. That's lulz.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Last edited by Discogodfather; 07-17-2018 at 2:58 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 2:56 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by haodoken View Post
Or else they are counting the applications versus actual completed registrations.
They received applications for 69k firearms (from roughly 30k people), of which they've only processed 13k firearms (from roughly 6k people) so far.

Neither count was "wrong", they were just counting different things and everyone got confused.

Fun fact: DOJ had expected 1 out of every 150 citizens to register something. In actuality, only 1 out of every 1,500 registered something.

If DOJ visits you regarding your RAW application: Avoid opening your door if they don't have a warrant. Don't consent to a search. Don't "talk your way out of it". Assert your right to remain silent until you have a lawyer present.

2018 CA Legislation Quick-Reference & Statuses

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 07-17-2018 at 3:22 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 3:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Looks like the inital report was too soon and it's more like what Librarian said, reg is up?

Reg up 43% Story

"Californians have applied to register 68,848 additional assault weapons in the last 11 months"
For those who missed the reference to Librarian, this is highly consistent with the "Bird Story" from a while back...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1460629
#2A4CA -- it has begun! https://www.2aforca.org/
Old 07-17-2018, 3:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
They received applications for 69k firearms (from roughly 30k people), of which they've only processed 13k firearms (from roughly 6k people) so far.

Neither count was "wrong", they were just counting different things and everyone got confused.

Fun fact: DOJ had expected 1 out of every 150 citizens to register something. In actuality, only 1 out of every 1,500 registered something.

LOL, they might have reached their numbers if they hadn't made the registration process stupid and time consuming, requiring photos and such. If they had kept it to just a document filling and listing your serial numbers like the last RAW period, then maybe they would have gotten the numbers they wanted. They screwed themselves by making the process unnecessarily difficult.
Old 07-17-2018, 3:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So, they were expecting roughly 250,000 x $15 = $3.75 million in income. Actual income is going to be closer to 30,000 x $15 = $450,000, so the shortfall will be around $3.4 million dollars. Oopsie!

The DOJ has asked for a loan of $3.7 million from Firearms Safety and Enforcement Special Fund to deposited in to the DROS fund. That $3.7 million loan is supposed to be repaid by 6/30/2021. Guess what loan is not going to be repaid? I guess the APPS program is going to be even MORE short of funds for enforcement...

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post

"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 07-17-2018, 3:51 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdps View Post
So, they were expecting roughly 250,000 x $15 = $3.75 million in income. Actual income is going to be closer to 30,000 x $15 = $450,000, so the shortfall will be around $3.4 million dollars. Oopsie!

The DOJ has asked for a loan of $3.7 million from Firearms Safety and Enforcement Special Fund to deposited in to the DROS fund. That $3.7 million loan is supposed to be repaid by 6/30/2021. Guess what loan is not going to be repaid? I guess the APPS program is going to be even MORE short of funds for enforcement...

T
Yeah, the math adds up pretty well. Who knows if they get a ding on their millions of wasted dollars- they never have in the past.

That bad article didn't even mention it.
Quote:

Old 07-17-2018, 3:53 PM

Maybe it was their intention to rob the DROS funds for registration before the DROS accounts could be audited. They’ve been overcharging us for decades, now it’s “whoops we used it all up!(while using it to funnel money to our pockets)” can’t audit what’s not there to be refunded.

Last edited by HiND-SIGHT; 07-17-2018 at 3:59 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 3:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiND-SIGHT View Post
Maybe it was their intention to rob the DROS funds for registration before the DROS accounts could be audited.
I think that is backwards. The loan was deposited INTO the DROS fund from the Firearms Safety and Enforcement Special Fund (which stole its money from the DROS fund). So the DROS fund is UP $3.7 million and the Firearms Safety and Enforcement Special Fund (which pays for the APPS enforcement program) is going to be short $3.4 million.

T
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 07-17-2018, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax Error View Post
They screwed themselves by making the process unnecessarily difficult.
They did not screw themselves. They did not want people registering. You completely misapprehend their motives.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 07-17-2018, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
They did not screw themselves. They did not want people registering. You completely misapprehend their motives.
True, they never wanted to make legal any more scary looking firearms. But also, Law Enforcement is a huge black hole that the Rulers constantly throw money at to look good to the sheep voters. It’s easy to do in a state like California where the majority of voters are idiots, easily lead by the nose and come from a culture where they are used to dictators or oligarchs. This State is pathetic.
Old 07-17-2018, 4:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

And where is any verification at all that the numbers in this new propaganda piece are not fiction?

Kind of a big jump from 13,000...

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 07-17-2018, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

13000 were registrations approved on or before June 30.

It's within reason that applications submitted as far as several months prior did not get approved yet. Hence the jump in SUBMISSIONS.
Old 07-17-2018, 5:08 PM
小さな女性

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
They did not screw themselves. They did not want people registering.
If their goal was to remove assault weapons from the streets, they indeed screwed up. While the chart below doesn't specify what type of long guns were sold in 2016, I will bet that the numbers are a direct reflection to the new ban when it passed.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/dros_chart.pdf
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
It’s always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people don’t behave badly.
-Milton Friedman
Old 07-17-2018, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno377 View Post
If their goal was to remove assault weapons from the streets
This was never their goal. As you know there are no rampaging gangs wielding assault weapons on "the streets". They all use handguns.

The DoJ's goal is to make people believe they removed assault weapons from the streets, and that assault weapons are scary and unusual.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamela Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 07-17-2018, 5:15 PM
小さな女性

Quote:
This was never their goal. As you know there are no rampaging gangs wielding assault weapons on "the streets". They all use handguns.

The DoJ's goal is to make people believe they removed assault weapons from the streets, and that assault weapons are scary and unusual.
Same result. They failed. Too many rifles will still be used at ranges. Too many people reacted to the ban and it will continue to be known with the new compliance products available that these exact same rifles will continue to be available for sale.
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
It’s always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people don’t behave badly.
-Milton Friedman
Old 07-17-2018, 5:34 PM
小さな女性

Interesting side note to the numbers were handguns sales during the GWB years. In 2000 the handgun roster was initiated and the comparative sales don't truly reflect that. By 2008 they exceeded sales from 2000 year to year and have continued to rise since.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...dros_chart.pdf
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
-Milton Friedman
Old 07-17-2018, 5:42 PM

Except for the gangs that Ex-senator Lee was going to supply and organized gangs with direct ties to Mexico almost all gang bangers use handguns. the removal of "assault" rifles and indeed all semi-automatic rifles might be goal of the state so that the taxpaying population has no chance to revolt or defend itself. a disarmed population is far easier to bully and steal from and the state seems to be very good at that. leftist democrats can hold violent rallies but let the right wing do a peaceful rally and the leftists physically attack them and do not get arrested. See the latest LA incident with the "Proud boys" and more leftist attacks will come in the coming months. When will leftist democrats attack neighborhoods for whatever reason excuse? should be interesting around election time. I do not support the Proud Boys but I do defend their right to gather peacefully even if I do not agree with the message.
Old 07-17-2018, 5:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

"A lawsuit filed against the state by firearms groups, who campaigned against the new law, alleged some gun owners were unable to access the state website to register their guns before the deadline.

The DOJ denied the allegations in a statement, saying its website has been working correctly. A representative said the agency has not been served with any lawsuit, “but will be prepared to respond in court.”"

Yeah...this adds legitimacy to the piece.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Last edited by BluNorthern; 07-17-2018 at 6:05 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 6:10 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNorthern View Post
And where is any verification at all that the numbers in this new propaganda piece are not fiction?

Kind of a big jump from 13,000...
So 1% or 5%? It's a failure either way right? Pretty hard to imagine they made up such a bad number, lol.
Quote:

Old 07-17-2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:

Californian elected and appointed officials' goal is to eliminate firearms ownership among private citizens, because

1. They’re usually urban dwellers with no exposure to firearms outside news and entertainment with those limited inputs understandably leading to anti-gun views.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-democra.../Drew-Eckhardt

2. They're observant enough to notice the world becoming a place where most people will be unable to work to feed themselves, and don't want the proletariat armed with more than pitchforks when that happens.

They pursue that end the way you eat an elephant, one bite at a time. Laws and regulations are easiest to pass when they're incremental. This year it's closing the bullet button loophole, next year it's featureless, and one tragedy farther it'll be semiautomatic firearms readily converted to accept detachable magazines.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-17-2018 at 6:21 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 6:14 PM

That's a lot of forms for Colonel Bella to review.
Old 07-17-2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post

It's a normal item to own if you aren't a lib living, lab rat in a large urban area.
Old 07-17-2018, 6:24 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
It's a normal item to own if you aren't a lib living, lab rat in a large urban area.
Come over to my place, you will see a lot of normality in San Francisco.
Quote:

Old 07-17-2018, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yea, the article makes it sound like a bump of 43% was a good thing. Too bad they were targeting a bump of 1000%. These idiots know it was a complete failure and they are trying to spin it.
Old 07-17-2018, 9:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.".