Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-22-2010, 7:48 PM

Question Euroarms 1858 New Army Repro?

I've been looking into getting a cap and ball revolver for a while, and from scouring gun forums and talking to people who own some I've heard that Euroarms reproductions are as close or closer to the originals than Uberti and Pietta. Anybody have any first-hand experience with this?

Also I should clarify that I'm looking for just a revolver at the moment (will get into shooting it in due time). I would like a historically accurate piece with a steel frame, something I can put on my desk but be a good shooter.

Looked on Gunbroker and see 1858 New Army's for 199.99. Is that the regular price these go for?
Old 02-23-2010, 9:43 AM

Bump
Old 02-23-2010, 9:54 AM

I would look for a second generation Colt 1851 Navy... It will hold its value and they are very high quality shooters... If you really a quality Remington then look for a Hege Army Match Maximum... Just my .02

B
Old 02-23-2010, 9:59 AM

The Uberti and Pietta replicas are just as close to the originals, and are probably better made. Here's one at Dixie: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=3536

Bear in mind that any replica of a Remington will have Italian proof marks on it, so it won't be perfectly historically accurate, but it will have all the dimensions and looks of the original.
Old 02-23-2010, 4:22 PM

Tallship, I'm fine if it has made in Italy stamped on it, I just would like it to have dimensionally correct parts. Everyone I know agrees Uberti's are fine quality, I think some people I talked to embellished the Euroarms a bit. One thing I know about the Pietta repro is that some parts such as the grip are larger than the originals to fit larger hands better. Also, unless things have changed in the last couple years, I've heard too many stories about them having soft steel and issues with the nipples.
Did some further research and it sounds like the consensus is that recently Pietta quality has increased while Euroarms quality has decreased.

Buck Mossie, I've looked into 2nd gen Colts, and would like to get one, but can't justify spending 600+ dollars on a cap and ball revolver-

-at least not at the moment

I think I'm going to see if I can compare the different makes firsthand. If Pietta really has stepped up their game, I might be tempted to go through Cabela's.

Thanks for the advice, if anyone else has any suggestions or info please post it here.

Last edited by Thrasher416; 02-24-2010 at 1:46 AM..
Old 02-24-2010, 7:42 AM

Pietta and Uberti are the way to go. Especially since parts are more readily available for them versus Euroarms. Each of the 3 guns will look very much like the originals. However if you want it to work part for part. Then maybe you need to take a machine shop class and build your own. None of the three will match 100% to the originals. None of the parts on any of the 3 can be used in any original. All 3 in one way or another are different from originals. With this in mind. It is more important to get the quality and the gun that fits you rather than the one that closely resembles an original. Even a Colt Black Powder Arms is not an original. Colt got pretty cheap on thier 3rd generations. Why because essentially the parts are Uberti that were redone by Colt and Stamped with their name on them. Pretty much everyone knows this. So they were not made in a Colt factury or Cast from the original molds
Old 02-24-2010, 2:22 PM

scrat- just so happens I am taking a machine class. It never crossed my mind that I could build one, I guess the majority of the parts could be made on a CNC machine, so long as I could get the dimensions of an original. Unless someone has already made a CAD model of an 1858 I'd probably have to borrow an original for measurements and build my own model.

Good idea, but sounds like a very complex project. Perhaps one day.
Old 03-09-2010, 9:04 PM

Go with what you want. I've been shooting Black Powder for over 15 years and Uberti has always been top notch. I've had 4 1858 Remington replicas and they do vary in quality with manufacturer. Uberti is now owened by Beretta, and QA and customer service are good. The low quality one was an Armi San Marcos, but I don't think they are in business any more (bought out by Beretta). My favorite 1858 Remington replica is a Stainless .44 made by Pietta. And I just bought a Frederick Remingtom commemorative that I think was made by Pietta that is top notch.