Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-19-2012, 5:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Giraud vs. Dillon Case Trimmer

A question for the experienced reloaders out there. I am new to reloading so I have been taking my time getting things together. I think I am down to the final few big dollar items I need to get to complete my reloading setup.

At this point I have a Dillion 550B along with a Thumlers tumbler. I am trying to get the best of breed when it comes to the equipment in the hopes of not having to upgrade in the future.

I am looking at getting a case trimmer next and wanted feedback on the Giraud vs. Dillion case trimmer. As far as application goes, they will be used for both plinking and precision loads. There is about $200 price difference here but beyond price, what I am really looking for in regards to feedback is which trimmer will last me for a lifetime of use, be easiest to use and maintain, be consistent in quality of output, and provide me with the widest variety in regards to case compatibility.

I appreciate any info you guys can toss my way.

After the trimmer I will get the RCBS Chargemaster Powder dispenser, various small items, and finally the dies.

Last edited by ZNinerFan; 12-19-2012 at 5:53 AM..
Old 12-19-2012, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNinerFan View Post
A question for the experienced reloaders out there. I am new to reloading so I have been taking my time getting things together. I think I am down to the final few big dollar items I need to get to complete my reloading setup.

At this point I have a Dillion 550B along with a Thumlers tumbler. I am trying to get the best of breed when it comes to the equipment in the hopes of not having to upgrade in the future.

I am looking at getting a case trimmer next and wanted feedback on the Giraud vs. Dillion case trimmer. As far as application goes, they will be used for both plinking and precision loads. There is about $200 price difference here but beyond price, what I am really looking for in regards to feedback is which trimmer will last me for a lifetime of use, be easiest to use and maintain, be consistent in quality of output, and provide me with the widest variety in regards to case compatibility.

I appreciate any info you guys can toss my way.

After the trimmer I will get the RCBS Chargemaster Powder dispenser, various small items, and finally the dies.
Dillon trimmer. Once you get it dialed it's accurate for me within .002

And the best part of it all, you incorporate it with the reloader. Not like the Girard trimmer where it's a whole nother step or task. Even if it's like a pencil sharpener...it's still another task.

I have it attached to my "brass prep" toolhead and it trims right after the decapping/resizer stage.

The saying all reloaders should go by unless you're absolutely broke. "BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE". If you're broke you probably should shelve reloading until your funds are in order. We all do it to save some money, but if you don't start out with the right tools, you end up spending twice....even if you do sell the 1st part you start out with, you'll never get the money you paid for it new. Just me.... and probably too much that it'll probably offend you.
Old 12-20-2012, 6:55 PM
Superfluous
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

What Bootcamp said.

And I have both.
Old 12-20-2012, 9:12 PM

I don't have the Dillon trimmer. I do have a Giraud trimmer and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Once it's adjusted and you learn a consistent technique, your cases will be +/- .001". My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.

Bootcamp and Twysted1 can correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't think the Dillon trimmer chamfers the inside and outside of the neck while trimming to length. I think it only trims to length. The Giraud does both!
Old 12-20-2012, 9:13 PM

I don't have a clue how I did all those posts. Sorry!

Last edited by Waldog; 12-22-2012 at 10:03 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Must be really excited about your Giraud.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 PM

I had a Dillon and sold it for the Giraud. I liked the fact it champhers and deburrs the mouth of the case as it trims, but if that isn't a big concern the Dillon works well too. The Dillon gets HOT when you run it for any length of time and my vacuum was noisy as hell when run with the Dillon trimmer. The Giraud is not as noisey and doesn't require a vacuum running at the same time to draw the chips away. Having run both I prefer the Giraud.
Old 12-21-2012, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
I don't have the Dillon trimmer. I do have a Giraud trimmer and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Once it's adjusted and you learn a consistent technique, your cases will be +/- .001". My only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.

Bootcamp and Twysted1 can correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't think the Dillon trimmer chamfers the inside and outside of the neck while trimming to length. I think it only trims to length. The Giraud does both!
The dillon cuts it so well there is no need to chamfer and debur. That was a concern when I was buying it, but all concerns disappeared after that first trim!
Old 12-21-2012, 4:00 PM

I've owned the Dillon, Gracey and a Giraud. I sold the Dillon and the Gracey and only use a Giraud now.

The Dillon is a great trimmer if you run it on a progressive press. When you initially set up the trimmer die, you need to use a bump gauge to set it up. Some of the trimmer dies can bump the shoulder of the case and you can over bump if not careful. After the trim, you have to run the cases again through a regular F/L die with a button or a mandrel to get the proper neck tension. This is easy to do on a progressive since you just put a F/L die in the #2 or #3 station. It makes for another operation for the brass on a single stage press.

I use single stage for my rifle ammo and the Giraud works best for me.
Old 12-21-2012, 6:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to order a Giraud trimmer after the holidays.
Old 12-25-2012, 2:41 AM

I had the Dillon trimmer for a while. Does a great job but it is noisy with the vacuum attachment as started on an earlier response. Traded it off and bought a Giraud. Although it's an extra step I'm really pleased how consistently trimmed and finished my brass comes out.
Old 12-29-2012, 4:44 PM

Giraud all the way... I use it for all of my rifle calibers... I do have a forster on hand for something tiny....

Doug's customer service is great as well! I am buying an annealer from him here soon!
Old 12-29-2012, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

The Giraud is the way to go because it cuts, debur, and chamfers.... I believe the point into reloading is to increase accuracy.

Last edited by thmpr; 12-29-2012 at 5:37 PM..
Old 12-29-2012, 5:03 PM

I have a Dillon and LOVE it, and I am a Hornady guy. It cuts so clean you don't need to chamfur and deburr unless your going for bench loads. I can crank out hundreds in a hour when its strapped on my LnL.
Old 12-30-2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_NinO619 View Post
I have a Dillon and LOVE it, and I am a Hornady guy. It cuts so clean you don't need to chamfur and deburr unless your going for bench loads. I can crank out hundreds in a hour when its strapped on my LnL.
+1.

I use the Dillon on my LNLAP, and love it! The cut is precisely square; no burr to take off. Even with Flat Base bullets, loading is not a problem.
Old 12-30-2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmpr View Post
The Giraud is the way to go because it cuts, debur, and chamfers.... I believe the point into reloading is to increase accuracy.
This ^^

The advantage of the Giraud (and the Gracey which I have) is that it is more precise and chamfers and deburr's which the Dillon does not. The biggest downside to Dillon is the square cut case mouth. This may be a clean cut but it is NOT gentle on bullet jackets when seating them compared to an inside chamfer on the case mouth, it scratches them which is a small negatory way downrange. If ultimate accuracy at distance is your thing then the Dillon is not the thing for you. If you just load bulk on a progressive for under 200 yard blasting then the Dillon is the thing for you.

The advantage to the Dillon (it's only advantage) is that it can be run as part of a progressive routine while the Giraud (& Gracey) require trimming be done one at a time AFTER resizing.