Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 08-08-2012, 2:36 PM

Default 10/22 scope

I'm looking for a scope for inside 100 feet. I like the look of the short type over the full body type. I like this http://www.bow-shop.com/secure/store...d-dot-30mm.jpg over this http://my605.com/naturecalls/wp-cont...nell-elite.jpg. Also under $80. I also want zoom over an actual red dot that shines on the target. Is there one that exists? and of course is it any good? Thanks

Last edited by D-rek07; 08-08-2012 at 2:44 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 3:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

If you want magnification then Invest in a decent scope and not a cheapie that will eventually fail at the worst possible time. These two are scopes that will last you a lifetime. For rings I'd pick up a $15 set of Leupold Rifleman rings in medium or low from Walmart. They're plenty strong enough for a rimfire. Honestly for inside 75 feet you may want a red dot because not many scopes fixed focus scopes are in focus much closer.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0&src=exrbSrch
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...1&src=exrbSrch

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 08-08-2012 at 3:52 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 8:00 PM

I am partial to Bushnell and Nikon scopes. I shop at Planet Optics and Natchezz based upon their prices and customer service. I like variables and have a 1-4.5x and a 2-7x one two of my short distance .22 rifles. Either will work for your stated distance.
Old 08-08-2012, 8:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

No disrespect to Squidward but the thing to remember when someone recommends brands including good brands like Nikon and Bushnell without specifying models is that they all have several product tiers ranging from funky to awesome. This list will give you an idea of how the brands and models compare. Personally I'm less interested in brands than getting the most optical quality for the money spent. That's why I own Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200s, Nikon Monarchs, high-end Burris scopes, as well as Weaver Classics mostly bought on sale.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 08-08-2012 at 8:24 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

If you plan in shooting close with a scope, get one with an adjustable objective so you dont have a fuzzy target/reticle all the time.

Under $80 wont get you much of anything, but I would take a look at the BSA stuff. Ive had a couple (Sweet 17 & Sweet 22) and you get a lot of cool features that are normally in a whole different price range. Of course they arent the best scopes made, but you are going to have to compromise something somewhere.
Old 08-09-2012, 6:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
If you plan in shooting close with a scope, get one with an adjustable objective so you dont have a fuzzy target/reticle all the time.

Under $80 wont get you much of anything, but I would take a look at the BSA stuff. Ive had a couple (Sweet 17 & Sweet 22) and you get a lot of cool features that are normally in a whole different price range. Of course they arent the best scopes made, but you are going to have to compromise something somewhere.
Which seques nicely to my comment....

I just picked up a scope for my M&P 15/22 that is good for varmints and has a variable objective.

Leupold VX-II Rimfire EFR 3-9X33mm with custom M1 dials

Works sweet but costs more than $80. I'm with sholling...invest in good optics.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 AM

There's a lot I don't know about guns. Why would you want a scope for under 100 feet? Serious question, not trying to be a smarty pants.
Old 08-10-2012, 7:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername View Post
There's a lot I don't know about guns. Why would you want a scope for under 100 feet? Serious question, not trying to be a smarty pants.
It can be anything from eyesight issues to a desire for finer shooting than iron sights allow to just plain personal taste. Once you get into 50yd rimfire match shooting you see anything up to 36x scopes in use.

Old 08-10-2012, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

never cheap on glass
pay to play amigo
No one ever said hobbies are cheap or faint of heart
Old 08-10-2012, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername View Post
After I asked the question, I realized that it is kind of dumb. I just don't like the stock sights that come with it. So since most other people say invest in a good scope and I don't really have the money for one, what fiber optic sights do you recommend?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-rek07 View Post
After I asked the question, I realized that it is kind of dumb. I just don't like the stock sights that come with it. So since most other people say invest in a good scope and I don't really have the money for one, what fiber optic sights do you recommend?
They aren't F/O but you could get yourself some Techsights and be almost all set (except for a sling) to take an Appleseed course.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
It can be anything from eyesight issues to a desire for finer shooting than iron sights allow to just plain personal taste. Once you get into 50yd rimfire match shooting you see anything up to 36x scopes in use.
Yep. I used to be a firm believer in irons until my eyesight started going downhill. Now I can't reliably hit a target at 100 yards without a scope.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 AM

If you are looking for scope for you 10/22 its ok to go cheap.....but...if you want a scope for your hunting rifle or sniper rifle get a good scope....i got this scope on my 10/22 ...Bushnell 4 x 32 Multi-X Rimfire for $30 and im so happy with it...... but if you want to look cool get the nikkon for $300... there is no scope that last lifetime....
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
No disrespect to Squidward but the thing to remember when someone recommends brands including good brands like Nikon and Bushnell without specifying models is that they all have several product tiers ranging from funky to awesome. This list will give you an idea of how the brands and models compare. Personally I'm less interested in brands than getting the most optical quality for the money spent. That's why I own Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200s, Nikon Monarchs, high-end Burris scopes, as well as Weaver Classics mostly bought on sale.
No offense taken. Nice list; I'll be keeping that.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

To the OP I suggest going to Rimfire central. Loads of info on scopes/sights ect. If you would give more information on the reasons you wish optics at said range? I'm sure you will get better answers. Good luck in your search.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:00 PM

I do a lot of shooting at 25m (82 feet) and I have had good luck with the Simmons 22 Mag scope. It comes with rings and caps. The 3x9x32/AO version can be had for around $50 if you shop around a little (right now Amazon has it cheap). Mine is on a rifle I built as a loaner for Appleseed events and it is going strong after six months of being used by newbies. The profile of this scope is traditional so may not have the look you want but it has been a good value for me.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 AM

I have been using Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Rimfire BDC 150 for over a year now. Defintely over $80 but under $180 I believe. Also, There's a big PROMO going on with all of Nikon's BDC scopes and I think the rebate is $40 for this scope. Nice savings!
The parallax is set for 50 yards for this scope as well. There's also a 3-9 EFR, extended focus range, which focuses down to 10 yards.
Here's a pic of my 10/22, all stock and able to shoot quarters at 100 yards (sadly I don't connect 100% of the time).

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/.../22rimfire.jpg