Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

View Poll Results: What to do?
Keep at them. They'll fix it. 17 24.29%
Give up and shoot it. It's not that bad 20 28.57%
Sell it and get a real Marlin. 33 47.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
I'd have gladly paid more for a completely usable rifle.
You say that in hind sight. You bought a gun online from KYgunco(usually ~$100 less than LGS) without being able to inspect it.

I’m not defending Marlin for their QC issue. I can say that I and many others purposefully paid more to buy one from my LGS that we could inspect.

Last edited by BillyGoatCrawler; 10-13-2017 at 7:38 PM..
Old 10-13-2017, 9:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Unless your LGS:

1. Actually carries them (mine don't)
2. Will let you completely detail strip and fire the rifle (None will)

...the entire "buy it only if you can see it" is total BS.

I'm the Soviet Union, you could tell which things were made around quitting time, on Friday, etc. If the quality of your product is on par with a Soviet Bloc car, something is wrong. I trusted the internet on this one, and to anybody on the fence, don't buy a Marlin. I have provided all the photos and proof to show my cautionary tale isn't just conjecture. They've consistently got the important things wrong at multiple steps and across multiple people at the factory, and their customer service is of the same non-quality. I had no bias in this, and if anything wanted to believe. That's why I bought the rifle.

When you're consistently bad, that isn't an accident, it's an identity. The new Marlin sucks.

Last edited by John Browning; 10-13-2017 at 12:03 PM..
Old 10-13-2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Unless your LGS:

1. Actually carries them (mine don't)
2. Will let you completely detail strip and fire the rifle (None will)

...the entire "buy it only if you can see it" is total BS.

I'm the Soviet Union, you could tell which things were made around quitting time, on Friday, etc. If the quality of your product is on par with a Soviet Bloc car, something is wrong. I trusted the internet on this one, and to anybody on the fence, don't buy a Marlin. I have provided all the photos and proof to show my cautionary tale isn't just conjecture. They've consistently got the important things wrong at multiple steps and across multiple people at the factory, and their customer service is of the same non-quality. I had no bias in this, and if anything wanted to believe. That's why I bought the rifle.

When you're consistently bad, that isn't an accident, it's an identity. The new Marlin sucks.
No one in contra costa county carried a marlin 1895 in 45-70??

As per the OP; what about a loose sight hood/assembly, poor stock fit, poor recoil pad fit, rough lever, and heavy trigger pull requires a complete detail strip? All LGS Iíve been to that wants to sell rifles let me dry fire.

I want to sympathize for you. But some things arenít making sense to me. Maybe Iím too critical.
Old 10-13-2017, 7:56 PM

Definitely bad QC and CS, I’ll give you that. Sad to see the inevitable decline of a great American gun manufacturer.
Old 10-13-2017, 8:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs down

Well I'm sad to read this after recommending it. I have no tolerance for crappy tools/ stuff.

If I were you I would demand a refund- Period.
Old 10-14-2017, 1:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave50 View Post
So much anger
Perhaps you've not, but I've been in his shoes with a Volquartsen Evolution that kept breaking down. Two years of broken extractors, broken bolts and the gun's action blowing up and seizing. And the maker supposedly fixing, not fixing, correcting and losing the gun. Was it shipped - don't know, everyone's at Shot Show..... Then shipping it back to me with the wrong color stock - and a thumbhole one at that. Very aggravating.

I ended up getting a new replacement rifle that worked. Perhaps the OP will be as fortunate.
Old 10-14-2017, 2:45 PM

Hey John browning, Iím with you on how bad the new Marlins are. Donít listen to the ones backing up marlin or Remington, clearly they have not bought a newer marlin since Remington took over. I stick with the pre 2006 jm stamped Marlins and have never had a problem.
Old 10-14-2017, 4:56 PM

They didn't suck until the lesser company acquired them.
Old 10-14-2017, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Unless your LGS:

I tried to like them too but I couldn't find a good example so I bailed on them.

I ended up with a Mossberg 464 that I really like. It has an aluminum receiver so if you're traditionalist this might bother you but I like how light the gun is. Sad but of the current production lever 30-30's, mossberg is the only option. Henry makes one but I can't take them seriously because of how bloody heavy they are.
Old 10-14-2017, 7:22 PM

[QUOTE=dfletcher;20753994]You may find this funny. It's 100% true.

A friend has a Marlin 1895 rifle. I have the Guide Gun. Went to the range a while back and all went well with mine, he couldn't hit nothing. When he did get on paper (finally, at 50 yds) the strikes were obviously keyholed. As in sideways. We went from 405 to 350 to 305 grains. Jacketed to lead. No difference. Gave up, went home.

For some reason I ended up cleaning the guns. Drawing a copper brush with patch through his gun barrel was smooth as silk. And the brush didn't have a habing of unscrewing a bit, as tends to happen when it rides the rifling. Reminded me of ... a shotgun.

No rifling. The shiniest, smoothest bore I've ever seen. Either Marlin forgot to rifle it or they put one of their 410 "1895" barrels on it by mistake. He sent it back, they fixed it fine. Still, you have to wonder how such a thing happens.

Only one way it could happen.
"Now that we've save lots of money on quality manufacturing, why not get rid of all those "useless" inspectors & save even more?"
Old 10-14-2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
So I called them yesterday, and the rep said that I should go shoot it before sending to it back. I told her that the barrel would lead in a couple shots due to the rifling problems and that the MIM void in the lever wouldn't hold up to the overpressure. I could possibly blow myself up.

Once I said it wasn't safe, their lawyer training took over and immediately she said it needs to go back to the factory.

So, here we go again. I am sending it back with a note to contact me for a refund if they can't be sure they got it right.

So, here I am with a rifle I bought July 4th that I still can't safely shoot. There is no excuse for this type of product QC or customer service.
Another mistake. You should demand a refund. Nothing else.
What does it take for you to get it? A building falling on your head??
Old 10-14-2017, 7:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post

I ended up with a Mossberg 464 tha. Sad but of the current production lever 30-30's, mossberg is the only option. Henry makes one but I can't take them seriously because of how bloody heavy they are.
I'm going to have to take a look at these. I never cared for Mossbergs due to past experiences (40 years ago) however, I purchased two Mossberg shotguns early this year, and I really like them for the price I paid.

I see they make a rimfire lever gun too.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 10-14-2017, 7:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
No one in contra costa county carried a marlin 1895 in 45-70??
The L in LGS is local, not county, which starts with a C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatCrawler View Post
As per the OP; what about a loose sight hood/assembly, poor stock fit, poor recoil pad fit, rough lever, and heavy trigger pull requires a complete detail strip? All LGS I’ve been to that wants to sell rifles let me dry fire.

I want to sympathize for you. But some things aren’t making sense to me. Maybe I’m too critical.
You're just not that knowledgeable. You think that you can tell if a rifle headspaces properly, has an in-spec chamber and doesn't shoot two feet left at 100 yards or keyhole at 25 feet because you got your hands on it and dry fired? A hands on inspection can't go as far as you think.

Your self confidence far exceeds your knowledge.

HK P30SK LEM for sale, S&W 27, S&W 37, Marlin Mountie - NorCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 10-14-2017, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
I'm going to have to take a look at these. I never cared for Mossbergs due to past experiences (40 years ago) however, I purchased two Mossberg shotguns early this year, and I really like them for the price I paid.

I see they make a rimfire lever gun too.
Mossberg has their own issue with their pump guns....the forend action bars are pinned to the forend, and those pins have a tendency to fall out at just the wrong moment.
Older 500s and 590s have solid action bars that are integral to the action tubes. Way better setup.

My buddy had the pins fall out on his newer 500 while we were in the middle of a Sporting Clays round. His gun became useless.
I convinced him to upgrade the slide tube to a one-piece, and upgrade to the Magpul forend which resurrected his 500 to the way it SHOULD be.

Never put it past a manufacturer to make a fatal error when it comes to cutting corners.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bainter1212; 10-14-2017 at 7:59 PM..
Old 10-14-2017, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
Another mistake. You should demand a refund. Nothing else.
What does it take for you to get it? A building falling on your head??
I'm done with the new Marlin, one way or another. As soon as I can find a JM Guide Gun, this one is gone. If the factory doesn't fix it, I'm going for the refund and will be .45-70less for awhile.

HK P30SK LEM for sale, S&W 27, S&W 37, Marlin Mountie - NorCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 10-14-2017, 9:35 PM

Thereís no way I could be 45/70 less for a while, I currently own 9. My latest is a Thompson pro hunter.
Old 10-14-2017, 9:50 PM

I wish Miroku, of Japan, would produce a SS lever action in .45-70; that would finally end all this jostling around with these "well known has been" former decent manufacturers, who now produce transient wet-wipes.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:57 PM

i love my 1895sbl, just picked it last month and shoots laser beams while looking sexy. Sorry op if you picked up a bad one. If you're looking to shoot 45-70 and have no preference in looks then you'd be happy with a henry. For myself i just had to have the 18" stainless sbl cause there's none other like it in the market.
Old 10-15-2017, 7:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
I wish Miroku, of Japan, would produce a SS lever action in .45-70
That would be a nice rifle !

WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum
Old 10-15-2017, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javithewrench View Post
Donít listen to the ones backing up marlin or Remington, clearly they have not bought a newer marlin since Remington took over.
While I have several "JM" rifles, I purchased a 45-70 that was made in 2013 and have not had any issues with it. Looked it over at the local shop and it was fine and shoots well. No problems. While there are some bad examples of current ones out there, to say they are all junk is simply not true.
Old 10-15-2017, 7:40 AM

To say that Most are junk is exactly true.
Old 10-15-2017, 1:28 PM

To say, "they put out a few good ones" does not instill buyer confidence for me....I'm out!
Old 10-15-2017, 1:51 PM

love my marlin rimfires at least?