Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-29-2019, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

Default Lightweight Coyote Grendel build.

Folks,

Using a Tennessee Armory polymer lower, FDE colored. A Grendel Hunter Upper, 18 inch 1:8 twist stainless Liberty barrel. Upper, Handguard and upper receiver are FDE colored as is the ejector port door. The barrel is medium contour. Saving some weight.
A Thordsen Gen III featureless kit will be going on. I will be using a Leupold Freedom VX 3x9x40 CDS scope. Not sure about trigger yet, thinking about a single stage. Plenty out there, to ponder. I enjoy the Grendel, took my first Pronghorn this year in Wyoming with my heavy barrel 6.5 Grendel AR15. But would like something a little lighter for coyote hunting. My heavier barreled Upper will be used for target practice and occasional hunting duty.
Bolt action Grendel’s just don’t do it for me. I have had the Howa’s, they work great but are cheap and chincey with lots of the plastic. The CZ 527 I have had 2 and both have had issues. So I am going for semi-auto only. A2
Old 11-29-2019, 9:47 PM
Veteran Member

Just added a Velocity 3lb single stage trigger, a buffer tube kit. On my way. A2
Old 11-30-2019, 10:05 AM

The LaRue MBT-2S is only $80 right now. At that price, it's hard to justify anything else.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2019, 1:03 PM

Geissele is having their black Friday sale at the moment. Can get an SSA for $156. They are normally $240
Old 11-30-2019, 2:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye_dre View Post
Geissele is having their black Friday sale at the moment. Can get an SSA for $156. They are normally $240
That’s an awesome deal on a great trigger!
Old 12-03-2019, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye_dre View Post
I paid $99 each for a pair of G2S triggers on Cyber Monday.

Same machining as the SSA, cheesy e-clip hammer pin retainer, QA on the batch not individual triggers, no laser markings, and it doesn't come with the slave pin to make installation less fiddly.
Old 12-03-2019, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

I like two stage for hunting. Helps remind not to jerk trigger. Causes you to slow and feel for the next stage.
Old 12-03-2019, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow Dynamics View Post
That’s an awesome deal on a great trigger!
Absolutely! 2-stage is delicious! But someone commented on the Larue being $80? Well, I wouldn’t pay .80 $CENTS for one of Pepe Lč Pew’s JUNK triggers! That French fraud has so many fooled with his crap...

I stick to stock triggers, because I know how to set them up “decent” for free. But if I were to get one, it would be the Geissele.
Quote from Featureless: “It's doubtful you've ever actually shot anybody, maybe never even seen anybody shot and don't really know what the hell you're talking about in the first place.” (I think he is “LESS” more than just “FEATURE”!)

Ask me what Christ did for me..., and I will tell you what He will do for you!
Old 12-03-2019, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

I would recommend some different components for a lightweight.

First the barrel. Consider a lighter profile in a 16" barrel. You're coyote hunting, not taking out 500 zombies at 700 yards. You might get one or two shots off over several hours if you're lucky, and none will ethically be over 400 yards. You won't need the extra material and weight of a medium profile 18" barrel. A heavier barrel would be better for ground squirrels and prairie dogs since the shooting can get pretty hot.

Second is the Thordson. Although they make a great stock, it definitely isn't light weight. I would consider something like a Mission First Battlelink Minimalist with a Strike Industries AR Stock Stop. There's a bunch of other good lightweight stocks out there too.

Third is the handguard. Pay close attention to the weight. There's some excellent lightweight handguards out there and some real pigs that look similar. It shouldn't weigh more than 10 ounces including the barrel nut and mounting hardware. Consider looking at BCM, Midwest Industries, and Odin Works amongst others.

Fourth, consider using a low profile adjustable gas block and the Taccom Ultra Lightweight Buffer and Spring System. It weighs far less than a standard carbine buffer and spring. There's some good adjustable gas blocks by Superlative Arms and SLR Rifleworks.

Fifth, get a lightweight bolt carrier. They're relatively inexpensive and eliminate a lot of unnecessary weight. You can go expensive with a JP Enterprises LMOS carrier, or far less with various skeletonized carriers from various makes.

Triggers are very personal. Only you can decide which you want. But keep in mind the Larue uses bigger pins that might not fit without enlarging your lower's hammer and trigger holes.

Good luck.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 12-03-2019 at 9:53 AM..
Old 12-03-2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Triggers are very personal. Only you can decide which you want. But keep in mind the Larue uses bigger pins that might not fit without enlarging your lower's hammer and trigger holes.

Good luck.
I would love to know where this BS comes from being an owner of two of them. Drop in in every sense of the word.

Have a pair of G2S triggers as well. Wish I'd known about the LaRue before spending the needless extra money. I would give anything to see most of these trigger "experts" do a blind comparison....
Old 12-03-2019, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
I would love to know where this BS comes from being an owner of two of them. Drop in in every sense of the word.

Have a pair of G2S triggers as well. Wish I'd known about the LaRue before spending the needless extra money. I would give anything to see most of these trigger "experts" do a blind comparison....
I have one Larue and my friend has one. Neither will fit any lower we've tried it on (over 25). I managed to give mine to someone who had an 80% where he accidentally drilled his trigger and hammer holes too big. It fit his lower perfectly. There's multitudes of reviews online complaining about the oversized pin problems.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-03-2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I have one Larue and my friend has one. Neither will fit any lower we've tried it on (over 25). I managed to give mine to someone who had an 80% where he accidentally drilled his trigger and hammer holes too big. It fit his lower perfectly. There's multitudes of reviews online complaining about the oversized pin problems.
I don't know about "multitude", as that is the first time I have ever heard of anything of the sort. I have to say I've never heard of it before actually, and I've read a LOT about them on many forums for a few years. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else ever has.