Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-19-2018, 8:51 PM

Default could use a little guidance

Just picked up a new .300 WM and though I would jump into the world of Redding type S comp dies over the RCBS dies I normally use. My question is when using new brass am I going to need a to get a stand alone die that has a expander button to get the case necks round so they can be loaded the first time? The dies I have don't have a expander on the decaping pin. I understand the reasoning, just not sure how to go about it for the first loading.

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 08-19-2018, 9:52 PM

Is this the full length bushing die? I use it for .300 WM as well for my hunting rounds.

It depends on the new brass you have. You will need to figure out which bushing you need to give you the desired inside diameter of the neck. Different brass will have different thickness in the neck. Unless the case neck is really smashed(quite common on Winchester brass) the bushing will bring the neck back to round. I've had to go through a brand new bag of Winchester brass with a round shaft a a screwdriver getting the necks close. Still decent brass for the price compared to the pricey stuff.

Below is a link to a local guy. It explains how to select the right size bushing. These are my favorite dies. They can be tuned to size the brass just enough to feed consistently but not overwork the brass.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpSNPY3zXfo
We must be on calguns...
Old 08-20-2018, 1:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Richard
You don't need/want a stand alone die. If the necks are severely smashed insert a Phillips screwdriver to round them a bit and seating the bullet and using the bushing will correct any minor issues.
To get the right bushing simply take a piece of brass with a bullet seated and measure the neck.
Subtract 0.003 from that and get yourself a coated bushing so you don't get scratches on your cases.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 08-23-2018, 8:35 PM

Not sure of what press you have or your work
I deprime with a Lee universial decapper and next station is
the Lee sizing die .
I use a lot of range brass and every once in a while a weird
case shows up .
Even new brass has been is dented , so they go thru also ,
then get cleaned [ big beliver in more lube is better than
not enough and yes , I toss a few cases . ]
Old 08-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Press is a T7 turret press nd the dies are Redding type S comp dies. The neck and body are sized in 2 separate steps. The neck sizing die has the decaper and it doesn't incorporate a neck expander. Turns out redding makes a decaping pin setup that has a expander ball that can be removed when it's not needed.

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 08-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Do you have any other dies for 30 cal rounds? You can run the expander all the down as far as it will go. Then feed your case up into the expander, but not into the die. Just make sure to use some form of lube. Again this is just to get the mouths rounded out, not to form any other part of the case.
Old 08-24-2018, 3:46 PM

A T-7 will have M T places for both a decapper and sizer . Sounds like you already have both .
Like I said - I don't know your reloading sequence .
I spray / lube cases , then decap at one station and then
resize at next - then clean .