Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 11-13-2017, 3:27 PM

Default Son wants to join Navy, question regarding contacts

My 17yo son is a senior in HS. He wants to graduates and leave for Naval boot camp.
But his mom is a devout Jehovah Witness. They are anti joining military. So she won't sign. My son will turn 18 this February. The recruiter said it is better opportunities for the HS seniors. Anyone 18 and older has more competition for the technical schools. My question is can my son have a contract where he joins and gets to go to the school of his choice. If not, he can get out?
Old 11-13-2017, 3:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think once they have you....they have you.
Old 11-13-2017, 3:39 PM

Recruiters lie!
Old 11-13-2017, 4:14 PM

Yeah, recruiters are full of it. They get paid by how many bodies they bring in.
Old 11-13-2017, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Son wants to join Navy, question regarding contacts

First, do the test at the recruiters office, it's a mini asvab. Then he can get an idea what he qualifies for. He cannot go to MEPS absent parents signature if under 18, if he goes to MEPS that is where they will do the offer of actual jobs available and he qualifies for. They will pressure him to sign for 'something' while there and say they can change it later, I told my sons recruiter that if MEPS doesn't offer what he wants he don't be signing anything, they tried to say well if he don't sign there's no guarantee blah blah blah, I told them well unless you want to make a second trip with him you better be talking to your contacts up there before he goes and have them hold his preference for him, the head recruiter called me later and said all set. my son got exactly what he wanted when he went to MEPS
The recruiter knew once I talked to him and the head guy that my son would not be pressured in to anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2017, 6:55 AM

Absolutely DO NOT buy the 'he can get a school once he gets to the fleet' line from the recruiter. If he gets in without a GUARANTEED school he'll be sent to the fleet as a non designated airman/fireman/seaman and treated like an absolute dog (I saw what they did to non designated airmen on a carrier, they end up getting worked to death on the flight deck [cat crews, recovery teams, etc). Sometimes they will 'group' schools together (in my case it was aviation electronics [AT, AQ, AX, AE, TD {yes it WAS a long time ago}) and I went to AE school out of boot camp. But if he fails out of the school he'll be sent to the fleet as a non designated airman/fireman/seaman so you GOTTA study, no time to play then, there will be plenty of time for that later. So, no school IN THE CONTRACT (yes it will be CLEARLY spelled out in the contract) no sign. (I was an Aviation Electrician 1976-1982 working in AIMD [Aviation Intermediate Maint.] on E-2's, A-6's, EA-6B's at NAS Miramar and the USS Independence] Oh yeah, they were going to do that 'once you get to the fleet nonsense but I came to my senses during the ride to the induction center, boy was the recruiter mad...best thing I ever did [related to the military]...
Old 11-14-2017, 7:02 AM

Tell him to go Coast Guard. Life is much better. Save lives, please Navy wives, do law enforcement, anti terrorism, counter drug/piracy/smuggling. It's a much more relaxed culture. You are family instead of just another worker bee.
Old 11-14-2017, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal3gunner View Post
Tell him to go Coast Guard. Life is much better. Save lives, please Navy wives, do law enforcement, anti terrorism, counter drug/piracy/smuggling. It's a much more relaxed culture. You are family instead of just another worker bee.
^^^^THIS^^^^

Spoken from experience.

The Coast Guard is much harder to get into than the Navy, and for good reason.

CG recruiters have quotas just like Navy recruiters, but the quota works differently. The Navy guy has to bring in at least as many recruits as his quota requires. The CG recruiter is limited by his quota. For that reason don't expect the CG recruiter to shower you with interest. It ain't gonna happen. You've got to convince the recruiter that you're worth their time.

I'm not going to go so far as to say that Navy recruiters actively lie, but they have been known to present a plethora of "alternative facts."

Life in any service (including the CG) as a non-rate is a "bottom of the food chain" experience. It's an apprenticeship like any other. Once you earn a rating, you're one step off the bottom. A guaranteed "A" school is the fastest way to get there. The down side is that you've got to be sure of your choice. Lateral changes in rating are difficult.

My advice:

1) If you know what rating you want - Get the guaranteed "A" school.

2) If you don't know what rating you want, and are serious about joining - Then join, do your messcook duty and use the time to wisely choose your rating.

3) If you don't know what rating you want, and are just considering joining - Don't sign anything until you figure it out.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4E Phantom View Post
My 17yo son is a senior in HS. He wants to graduates and leave for Naval boot camp.
But his mom is a devout Jehovah Witness. They are anti joining military. So she won't sign. My son will turn 18 this February. The recruiter said it is better opportunities for the HS seniors. Anyone 18 and older has more competition for the technical schools. My question is can my son have a contract where he joins and gets to go to the school of his choice. If not, he can get out?
His age shouldn't matter. What matters is his ASVAB score. Also have him get everything in writing. If it's not in the contract, it doesn't exist. Mostly importantly, make sure he knows to not go in without a contract for a rate (job). If he goes in "un-designated", he'll get all the crappy jobs and it's harder to get a school, but the recruiters will tell people that its good because they can try all the rates and see what they like. Don't fall for it.
If he's not super set on the Navy, I'd also have him look at the Coast Guard. I was a Gunner's Mate in the Navy and aside from being and EOD armorer for a while, life on the ship was mostly boring and we were constantly underway. Out of my 4 years in, I think I ended up doing a cumulative 3 years out at sea. If I had to do it over, I probably would've gone CG, especially with their Maritime Law Enforcement rate.

Last edited by rugershooter; 11-14-2017 at 11:29 AM..
Old 11-14-2017, 12:37 PM

If his asvab is high enough let him request submarine duty as a weapons / electronics type.
A lot of pride with the hard work. Good advancement.
Old 11-14-2017, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4E Phantom View Post
Tell him to try to get into the Annapolis Naval academy. Then he can go in as an officer and possibly end up in naval aviation.

Last edited by Blade Gunner; 11-14-2017 at 2:14 PM..
Old 11-14-2017, 7:00 PM

Thanks guys, Calgunners are the best. Unfortunately he is not academy material. He surprised me when he wanted pursue an electrical trade. A friends dad works for PG &E. My advice was to absolute ace the asvab test.
Old 11-14-2017, 7:13 PM

My advice is also the coast guard. Spent 8 years and it is a much different experience. I deployed on navy vessels and it is very different. Iam now a noon electrician so if he wants to join the trades i that should be supported for his mother’s sake.
We're trying to exercise a constitutional right and stay out of jail doing it. Cheers to those who help us, jeers to those who stand in our way - you're literally no better than DeLeon or Pelosi. If you catch a bad wrap for making this harder than it has to be, I have no sympathy if you end up on the boycott list.