Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
John, he enforces the CAWB - effectively (sand NFA) the same ban the he purports to oppose.

If I had time to personally address each of the so-called "constitutional sheriffs" I would.

-Brandon
I know you would love to chat with each and every one of them..

That letter still puts a chip in your pocket IF you ever have to deal with him.

Perhaps it's a good time to send him a letter asking about the CA AWB and his stance on it? Really, what's good for the rest of the country in HIS OPINION LETTER should also work for CA. Or at least have one of your volunteers attempt it. Maybe a volunteer in Riverside? AND other Sheriffs sending the same message to her. Just a thought anyway.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:14 PM

Would have liked to see a slightly firmer position, but that will do. Thank you Sheriff! Kudos to you...

On a side note. I didnt vote for him, but he has been kinda growing on me the past couple of years. He seems to be coming around slowly and will most likley get my vote on a future ticket if he stays the course.
Old 02-03-2013, 8:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I know you would love to chat with each and every one of them..

That letter still puts a chip in your pocket IF you ever have to deal with him.
I do have to deal with him, and the letter means squat.

This is what people don't get: this is all easy politics for them, and nothing of value for us.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-04-2013, 7:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I do have to deal with him, and the letter means squat.

This is what people don't get: this is all easy politics for them, and nothing of value for us.

-Brandon
It has value if the constituents he serves get a copy of that letter and hold it to his face. His constituents re elect him not you or me.

B, when i type stuff, its not just about you. Its about the gun world in CA as a whole.
Old 02-05-2013, 1:50 AM

Im not seeing this as a bad letter. What are those of you disappointed looking for from the sheriff? Understand that he is a "politician" in the second most liberal state in the country. This letter if anything is walking on eggshells because he knows the progressives infesting the state will do everything possible to run him out getting some hardcore gun grabbing anti-2A sheriff to replace him
Old 02-05-2013, 6:25 PM

While I do appreciate his letter of opposition to the DiFi bill, I can't help but point out the fact that he has previously supported this same bill on the state level and he really isn't all that bad about the CCW's. He's bad but not Gore bad. At the end of the day this one thing I don't think washes away all the bad, but for the subject at hand being the AWB I do give him credit where credit is due. Now we need to hold him to it and make it stick on the state level. =)

P.S come for my guns I F****** dare you
Old 02-05-2013, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

I sent him an email praising his letter to di-fi and asked him to use the same fervor when addressing the upcoming CA proposed laws.
Old 02-05-2013, 7:37 PM
Banned

I would point out that he was **THE VERY FIRST** Sheriff to send a memo regarding SB249.

It's easy for others to jump on a bandwagon... But he was the first to oppose SB249.

Yes his CCW policy isnt quite up to speed. I would like to see it conform to Brandons "Ideal" standards. (how many sheriffs do right now Brandon?)

Thank you Brandon for all your hard work. I really do appreciate it. Sniff has done -OK- for us, and yes the CCW policy does still need work... but Being the first to oppose SB249 has to count for something as well...
Old 02-05-2013, 8:19 PM

Thumbs up Thank you Sheriff Sniff

Quote:

-Brandon
You may call this easy politics but I tend to disagree. It is not easy for a sheriff of a large county (10th largest in US, Census 2010) to oppose a ranking member of the senate, and heavily supported leader within this state on an issue most law enforcement leaders (on either coast) have either supported or silently opposed. Opposition to gun control in this state by elected officials (at any level) is much more than easy politics, and does have value within city halls, Sacramento, and some corridors of Washington.

I do agree with you on improving access to CCW/LTC permits within Riverside County, and improved access to legal public shooting ranges within the county. I am certain that you are tracking other issues that that could be raised with Sheriff Sniff, but let's at least thank a leader for advocating a position we agree with.

Support the NRA, CalGuns Foundation and SAF in the their fight for our 2nd Amendment Rights.

Marginalize: to relegate to an unimportant or powerless position within a society or group
Merriam-Webster Dictionary 2012
Old 02-05-2013, 8:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll thank him when he follows his own advice and stops enforcing unconstitutional laws already on the books. Until then, this is just political grandstanding with no real risk.

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief003 View Post
You may call this easy politics but I tend to disagree. It is not easy for a sheriff of a large county (10th largest in US, Census 2010) to oppose a ranking member of the senate, and heavily supported leader within this state on an issue most law enforcement leaders (on either coast) have either supported or silently opposed. Opposition to gun control in this state by elected officials (at any level) is much more than easy politics, and does have value within city halls, Sacramento, and some corridors of Washington.

I do agree with you on improving access to CCW/LTC permits within Riverside County, and improved access to legal public shooting ranges within the county. I am certain that you are tracking other issues that that could be raised with Sheriff Sniff, but let's at least thank a leader for advocating a position we agree with.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Press Enterprise is now calling it "Grand Standing" and suggests that the letter and Dorner are somehow connected... http://blog.pe.com/dan-bernstein/201...nal-narrative/

David Wolf, REALTOR / Broker Associate

In SoCal? Need a REALTOR? Work with someone who shares your love of guns.

CCW LTC holder, NRA Lifetime member

CA BRE# 01420938
Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Press Enterprise is now calling it "Grand Standing" and suggests that the letter and Dorner are somehow connected... http://blog.pe.com/dan-bernstein/201...nal-narrative/
Well, to be completely accurate a commentator used the letter to get his dig in regarding gun control in general:
Quote:
This problem is bigger than one deranged ex-LA cop. It’s bigger than any “sweeping” act of Congress or any grand-standing defense (RivCo Sheriff Stan Sniff’s Feb. 1 letter to Sen. Dianne Feinstein is a fine example) of the Second Amendment.
In fact I think I'd say that having this author, who is obviously NOT on our side, dismiss the Sheriff's letter in this manner says more positive then negative.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 02-08-2013, 1:21 PM
Libertatem Vivit Hic
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dems4gun2 View Post
^ This....
This...^^^^^^

Disclaimer:
Any posts by me are intended to be for informational purposes only and are not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is formed.
Old 02-09-2013, 2:28 PM
Banned

After reading Sheriff Sniffs letter to difi, I sent an email to him thanking him.

my letter-

"I just wanted to thank you for supporting law abiding gun owners in our county with the memo you sent. Though I seriously doubt it would make any difference to her.

I also clearly recall, you were the first Sheriff to send a memo regarding "SB249" the 'bullet button' introduced by Sen Yee. I read that memo with pure delight!

I will continue to support you in future elections because of your actions trying to stop new bad laws.

However, I must also point out that your current Concealed Carry License policies, though better than before, are still not up current State standards. The extra forms, and recommendation letters, and "self defense" alone is not "good cause", causes me some hesitation.... Though I fear someone worse taking the helm if you were to retire or not be re elected. I do believe a few people in some pro gun organizations will continue legal actions to force conformity in time... Organizations that I donate to. I *assume* they will get that fixed when they get around to it...

As such, I will still vote for you, put your sign in my yard, and on my work van I drive all over town next election, like I said I would in my last "thank you" letter, sent regarding your SB249 memo.

Best Regards,
(my name)"

the reply-
"(my name)Thanks for the note and comments, but our CCW process has not really changed over time since I took office in 2007, we have nearly 1,000 CCWs out and are still growing. Well over 95 percent of applicants are approved and we get nothing but kudos on our CCW unit. Our CCW process fully meets state stds and law and is defensible to the public I serve. This is a very liberal state where gun rights (including CCWs) are under increasing attack - just watch the incoming gun control battles this Spring. "

So.... It seems like Brandon and crew still have some work to do.

I will be applying soon in Riv, and with my good cause, I do expect it to be approved, even with these "extra" steps involved.

I sent a reply back....

"Sheriff Sniff,

I thank you for your time. I was surprised to get a personal response, as I expect you are a very busy man.

My understanding of the current CCW policy is, that it is actually not "up to par", as it exceeds state standards. I have heard nothing but great things about the officers that run the CCW unit from quite a few people. However, your department has so far, refused to release "good cause" statements requested under the Freedom of Information Act, has several pages of forms above and beyond the state standards, and requires three recommendation letters also beyond the state standards.

I will be applying for carry in the near future. I do believe even with these "extra" steps, that I would be approved for my good cause. Which of course remains to be seen until my application is turned it. I'm not worried about it under current policies.

Regardless, the people who try to further our rights, and bring departments into state compliance have not forgotten about Riverside County. It is simply on the "back burner".

People like Gray Peterson, Brandon Combs, Bill Wiese and the volunteers at Cal Guns Foundation have been busy with other more important issues, but they haven't forgotten.

Riverside is on the back burner for now, because though it doesnt yet comply with California standards, (exceeding them) there are other, far more oppressive counties which take up their time.

Though I most certainly agree, we have far worse things to worry about with this legislative session.

I'm far more concerned about these new events than the state of CCW in Riverside County.

I sincerely appreciate your time and efforts, and I do support you and your actions. I posted on Press Enterprise Dan Bernstein's 'blog' which referred to your letter as "grandstanding". I posted in your defense, and stated this political posturing from the Dem party meeting on gun control Thursday was "grandstanding" and unconstitutional.

Best Regards,
(my name)"

Last edited by postal; 02-09-2013 at 3:06 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 3:52 PM

Default Will someone fwd this letter to CA politicians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennys dad View Post
I agree dang it, lets kick everyone that doesn't meet our perfect profile of perfection. ROFL Hahahahaha
Old 02-10-2013, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
That's an easy position to take.
I don't know or care what his other warts may be, he moves the ball forward with his letter. For that, I applaud his efforts.
Old 02-10-2013, 9:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromulin View Post
I don't know or care what his other warts may be, he moves the ball forward with his letter. For that, I applaud his efforts.
Please show me a ball that moved any direction.

-Brandon

Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'll thank him when he follows his own advice and stops enforcing unconstitutional laws already on the books. Until then, this is just political grandstanding with no real risk.

-Brandon
This is special. I've always been of the opinion that officials, by in large, don't get to choose what they enforce. That's up to the People and the courts. What he's enforcing went through the procress afforded to become law. It wasn't some edict handed down by some exec. We give Obama and Cammila Harris grief for picking and choosing what to enforce. SCOTUS has been pretty clear that states can regulate within bounds. Some states have gotten their hand slapped for stepping out of bounds. If something is regarded as out of bounds, take it to court.

This is not the "easy politics" portrayed. I can gaurantee this letter will be used against him if/when he comes up for re-election. He'll be painted by some as uncaring about "the children".

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It's Kamala and you need to research "discretion."

-Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
This is special. I've always been of the opinion that officials, by in large, don't get to choose what they enforce. That's up to the People and the courts. What he's enforcing went through the procress afforded to become law. It wasn't some edict handed down by some exec. We give Obama and Cammila Harris grief for picking and choosing what to enforce. SCOTUS has been pretty clear that states can regulate within bounds. Some states have gotten their hand slapped for stepping out of bounds. If something is regarded as out of bounds, take it to court.

This is not the "easy politics" portrayed. I can gaurantee this letter will be used against him if/when he comes up for re-election. He'll be painted by some as uncaring about "the children".

Old 02-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh...so LE can pick/choose what we like, but not what we don't like. Got it.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 02-12-2013, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtus View Post
We're not going to get everything we want all at once. Having elected officials on our side in any of these debates should not be discounted just because they "don't say exactly what we want them to".
There really should be NO debate on the 2-A.
We either have a Bill of Rights, or we don't.
This "Gun Control" seems to get what they want over night.

Yes its good a Sheriff is standing tall ,on what he believes, yet also
there was an old saying in New York " Walk your Talk".
So time will tell.
However many people are waking up and that's why so many AR-15's
have been soldout !

Many Sheriff's are starting to stand tall in the North state now, we need to Encourage them, and back them up.
When they see they can have a posse of say 1,000 people backing them
then we have won ! Think about it ! Gun Control becomes a mute-issue.
Lets get the Sheriff's working for us again.

Robin47
Old 02-12-2013, 9:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Actually, yes.

Ever get a warning instead of a traffic ticket?
Ever hear of Cities instructing police to not cite for small amounts of marijuana?
Ever hear of Sanctuary Cities?

There are lots of laws on the books that are ignored. I recall that Phoenix, Arizona had a city code that required all downtown businesses to have a hitching post in front of their store.

So yes - LEs can exercise discretion.

Just like juries can....

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 02-13-2013, 9:30 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
Actually, yes.

Ever get a warning instead of a traffic ticket?
Ever hear of Cities instructing police to not cite for small amounts of marijuana?
Ever hear of Sanctuary Cities?

There are lots of laws on the books that are ignored. I recall that Phoenix, Arizona had a city code that required all downtown businesses to have a hitching post in front of their store.

So yes - LEs can exercise discretion.

Just like juries can....
We don't want them to use discretion for LTC but we're OK with discretion in other matters? Doesn't seem consistent, what's the logic here?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Banned

Idiot bernstein from press enterprise (riverside news paper) at it again.... Go smack him down on his blog.

David and I already did....

http://blog.pe.com/dan-bernstein/201...omatic-musket/
Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_eSeVe View Post
We don't want them to use discretion for LTC but we're OK with discretion in other matters? Doesn't seem consistent, what's the logic here?
Discretion in the enforcement of a penal law as compared to enforcement of a prior restraint and/or subjective standards against a fundamental right.

-Brandon

Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
the reply-
"(my name)Thanks for the note and comments, but our CCW process has not really changed over time since I took office in 2007, we have nearly 1,000 CCWs out and are still growing. Well over 95 percent of applicants are approved and we get nothing but kudos on our CCW unit. Our CCW process fully meets state stds and law and is defensible to the public I serve. This is a very liberal state where gun rights (including CCWs) are under increasing attack - just watch the incoming gun control battles this Spring. "
What a load of crap. The 1,000 number he quoted includes the reserve officer and judicial LTC's. When you take those out and look at the real numbers Riverside County has a worse issuance rate than San Diego (Riverside County - 0.273%, San Diego County - 0.302%).

He also forgets to mention that his CCW unit pre-screens applicants and actively discourages you from applying if you don't meet their criteria for "good cause" (this is how you get a 95% approval rate). I should know, I was told not to apply. I did any way and this is what I got:

Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Just wait until he gets Diane's standard form letter reply:

"Thanks for your recent cmmunication, but I don't care what you say and I will do what I think is best."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 02-13-2013, 3:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_eSeVe View Post
They cant use discretion for LTC anymore than they can for voter registration.

They can use discretion in order to ignore unconstitutional laws and orders.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 02-13-2013, 5:10 PM
Banned

Hey, I just emailed him and said thanks. He didn't have to send the letter. I live in Riverside Country and would rather have a Sheriff that actually issues CCWs (even imperfectly) then the knuckleheads who won't even give them to sitting judges with documented death threats.
Old 02-13-2013, 6:58 PM

I think that requiring someone to be checked out thoroughly before giving them a gun or a permit to carry is fair given some of the nutjobs out there. I'm willing to jump through the hoops and it doesn't seem like they are unreasonable. I haven't been approved yet but I would put money I will be. Frank Yezzo at the CCW unit is very reasonable and personable and I can't imagine anyone of good character
not enjoying a visit with him. I strongly urge anyone who feels the need for a CCW to apply with confidence you will be treated fairly. By the way, Frank said its a 98% rate of success right now and his office is swamped. Go get it! If you want to speed the process, fill out the paperwork, mail it to him and ask him if he feels he would grant you a CCW should your background check come up ok. Like I said,
He is easy to talk to and a pleasure to deal with. Or just call him and see what he considers good cause. And I highly recommend the Martinelli and associates qualification course. Dr Martinelli is a wonderful instructor and fun to talk to.
Good luck everyone!
Old 02-13-2013, 7:00 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot, Thanks to the Sheriff for taking the time!! I will be voting for him again and sending him a thank you letter! He could have said nothing!
Old 02-13-2013, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargeron View Post
I think that requiring someone to be checked out thoroughly before giving them a gun or a permit to carry is fair given some of the nutjobs out there. I'm willing to jump through the hoops and it doesn't seem like they are unreasonable. I haven't been approved yet but I would put money I will be. Frank Yezzo at the CCW unit is very reasonable and personable and I can't imagine anyone of good character
not enjoying a visit with him. I strongly urge anyone who feels the need for a CCW to apply with confidence you will be treated fairly. By the way, Frank said its a 98% rate of success right now and his office is swamped. Go get it! If you want to speed the process, fill out the paperwork, mail it to him and ask him if he feels he would grant you a CCW should your background check come up ok. Like I said,
He is easy to talk to and a pleasure to deal with. Or just call him and see what he considers good cause. And I highly recommend the Martinelli and associates qualification course. Dr Martinelli is a wonderful instructor and fun to talk to.
Good luck everyone!
So screw everyone else as long as you get yours? I guess regular people like me who don't have "good cause" aren't as deserving of self defense as you?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 AM

Default Follow-up

OK, I see that I was wrong. How can these arrogant politicians live with themselves? Have they no conscience whatsoever?

"If an armed citizen saves just one child minutes before the Riverside County Sheriff's Department has time to respond it's worth it." Right, sheriff? I guess not.
JPFO Genocide Chart Note that seven of the nine genocides documented in the Genocide Chart were perpetrated against "political opponents." If you're a Christian, a gun owner, and support the Constitution and natural rights, then you are a political opponent to the Marxists who control the CA and US regimes, and to their armies of useful idiots.
Old 02-19-2013, 1:02 AM

Great letter ! I'm stoked to have a sherrif that stands up for the 2A in my county . Ya it's a bit politically correct , but .... He's standing his ground . Ill be voting for him for sure . It could be a lot worse look at the San Diego sherrif . He's stated he would enforce any federal gun restriction .
Old 02-19-2013, 8:35 AM

I just emailed the sheriff and said thanks . Its good to be in riverside county .
Old 02-24-2013, 1:34 AM

Default Sheriffs speak out against gun control - compilation

Hello All,

New member to Calguns in Southern California. I'm originally from Texas and have lived in California for about 10 years now within L.A and SD.
I've been reviewing all the Gun Control coverage on Youtube and I found most of it concerning in terms of losing my constitutional rights. I commend Sheriff Stan Sniff and other state and city employees for speaking out.
The following youtube clip is a great compilation of Sheriffs across the US standing their ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNN1H7UfqiM

Cheers,

iroquois
Old 02-27-2013, 12:39 PM

any support of opposition of what difi wants to do, by someone in a position like his is great support for us.
Old 02-27-2013, 3:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I personally know Stan, and believe he is a true supporter. He is a S&W collector, and has bought more than a few handguns from the store I worked at.

One must remember that California is a very liberal state, and Riverside County has many very liberal cities. Having a Sheriff which supports gun owners is a positive thing.

Would those doubters here rather have a Sheriff such as Baca in Riverside county?

Or would you rather have a Sheriff like Stan Sniff who really does stand up and support our interests?

Some here are so blinded by wanting a 100% solution to California's stupid gun laws that they refuse to support a Sheriff who does support gun owners as much as he can, and still be elected.

I'm reminded of the analogy where some people are so negative that they would complain about finding a twenty dollar bill in a parking lot, instead of it being a fifty dollar bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 02-27-2013, 5:00 PM
Banned

Well said SVT
Old 02-27-2013, 5:36 PM

Default Stan doesn't have any political risk by going with self-defense as GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Would those doubters here rather have a Sheriff such as Baca in Riverside county?

Or would you rather have a Sheriff like Stan Sniff who really does stand up and support our interests?

Some here are so blinded by wanting a 100% solution to California's stupid gun laws that they refuse to support a Sheriff who does support gun owners as much as he can, and still be elected.
The Sheriff isn't elected by cities but by the population of the whole county. As a whole, the county is conservative - Republicans have a 51,000 voter registration advantage in Riverside County.

Stan is even further shielded from any political consequences because the board of supervisors requested Stan promulgate a shall-issue standard where self defense would be considered good cause. Further, from the statements made by Chad Bianco, Stan's opponent in the race, Chad favors self defense as good cause. Therefore going to self-defense as a good cause and going shall-issue is a no-brainer politically - there would be no political cost to Stan by going shall-issue.

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal.
Janet Reno, former US Attorney General, 1993