Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-18-2012, 5:42 PM

Default Closest Public Land (non-range) shooting areas to Rocklin?

Hey all,

Will be up at my brother in laws for T-day and am looking to do some shooting while we're there. Any recommendations on public land somewhat nearby where we can shoot freely (run and gun) without being hassled?

Just staring to look at some maps but am entirely clueless as to that entire area.

Thanks!
Steve

NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol - Shotgun - Personal Protection Inside the Home - Personal Protection Outside the Home - Refuse To Be A Victim

CA DOJ Certified Instructor - Taser Certified Instructor - CA CCW Instructor (County Dependent) - Multi State CCW Classes held regularly.

www.santacruzarms.com
Old 11-18-2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Cruz Arms View Post
Hey all,

Will be up at my brother in laws for T-day and am looking to do some shooting while we're there. Any recommendations on public land somewhat nearby where we can shoot freely (run and gun) without being hassled?

Just staring to look at some maps but am entirely clueless as to that entire area.

Thanks!
Steve
Not sure what you mean by Non-range? there is always Spenecville wildlife area. of head up to Forest Hill.....
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Old 11-18-2012, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuknBucks View Post
Not sure what you mean by Non-range? there is always Spenecville wildlife area. of head up to Forest Hill.....
Non-range meaning I don't want to be tied down to ONE specific shooting area setup somewhere on BLM, etc. where everyone HAS to shoot there. Standard range rules; cease fires, etc.

Looking to setup our own little run and gun with steel plates and paper and do some drills with an AR and pistols.

Thanks for the tips. I will check out those areas.

NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol - Shotgun - Personal Protection Inside the Home - Personal Protection Outside the Home - Refuse To Be A Victim

CA DOJ Certified Instructor - Taser Certified Instructor - CA CCW Instructor (County Dependent) - Multi State CCW Classes held regularly.

www.santacruzarms.com
Old 11-18-2012, 7:40 PM

gonna do a little of that myself.......have a good T-day
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Old 11-18-2012, 8:29 PM

Head up 80 or 50... Past lovers leap or twin bridges... More forest to shoot in than you can shake a stick at ... I believe mile marker 43 is the turn off I usually take ... Drive till the road turns to dirt and hike a few clicks up to the tree line .....
Old 11-18-2012, 8:50 PM

Thanks to both of you for the info. Much appreciated..

Have a good Thanksgiving!

Steve

www.santacruzarms.com
Old 11-19-2012, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Near Rocklin, the closest will be the Spenceville Wildlife Refuge range near CampFar West.

Next might be the areas mentioned off 50, take the Sly Park off ramp, and head up the Mormon Immigrant Trail. There are several non marked, improvised shooting ranges off the road. I found them by looking for them. One that I recall is off North-South Rd. Look for PLINK painted on the road, turn left into an old quarry.
Old 11-19-2012, 6:16 PM

Easiest thing to do would be to find your closest BLM office and get a map pack from them. It only costs a few bucks and they're usually pretty helpful.