Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-25-2012, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

It definitely is a good thing no one was home. We can't assume they were unarmed to begin with. I've been robbed at gunpoint; it's a sh**y feeling.
Old 10-25-2012, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

the guys in the first and last pic, look like they could be brothers

Spyder

"You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 PM

Man, that sucks. I would put their photos on facebook and twitter. And if your local neighborhood has a facebook page post it there too.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 AM

like others said, local news will eat this up.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 AM

Damn this brings back memories. I got burglarized back in March. Took most of our electronics (laptops, cameras, PS3 w/games, external hard drives etc...) along with over $8,000 of my wife's jewelry. I unfortunately didn't have an alarm, safe, or dog at the time. Got an alarm now. Working on the safe next. Still haven't replaced any of my belongings. I refuse to until we get a safe.
Old 10-26-2012, 1:06 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear what happened. Hope those animals gets placed back in the zoo.

Here is my setup and has worked so far, this might give you some idea for upgrades.

-Advanced Alarm system with sensor at every windows and door, shatter detector, motion sensors. (ADT basic package is weak)
-Surveillance system with night vision indoor and outdoor with online viewable on phone
-Motion flood lights 360 degree around house
-Every window first floor is gated
-Every door hinge is reinforced, locks are bump key proof and two side key (lock cannot be unlocked either side without key)
-All doors are heavy duty solid wood with reinforced door frame with metal over wood.
-Every window has decal of warning camera and alarm system
-Garage door pull string release removed and any pins replaced with locks (so they can't break garage window and pull the rope to get in or pull the pins that release the door and linkage.
-Surrounding house plants were replaced with Firethorn bush (look it up, VERY spiky vine bush, cannot be climbed over or step over). Basically legal barb wire cluster but looks appealing and attracts birds.
-Multiple safes all bolted down within conceal enclosure

What I need
-A new guard dog (my dog passed, haven't looked for another)
-Alarm system for the safes (tamper alarm)

Window gates, locks, reinforced hindges etc. are available at home Depot

So far all my neighbors have been robbed at some point with some home invasion. Beef up security which is least attractive for criminals, they will go for the easier targets.

Any questions or need help where to find those items PM me.
Old 10-26-2012, 8:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel-tec-innovations View Post

-Surrounding house plants were replaced with Firethorn bush (look it up, VERY spiky vine bush, cannot be climbed over or step over). Basically legal barb wire cluster but looks appealing and attracts birds.
Interesting info about the plant. A very good idea indeed.
Old 10-26-2012, 8:48 AM

Living in one of the worst parts of San Francisco, my wife planted a rose bush called a Mermaid rose in a few places. It's an heirloom variety that is extremely hearty so needs very little water or any other type of attention whatsoever, and it grows like a weed. It has flowers on it basically all of the time AND it has the most vicious, recurved thorns of any rose. It literally grows by leading with a thorn and the things are sharp down to a nano-size tip... it'll snag your skin without you even realizing it until you try to pull away. The canes are trunk-sized once the thing gets established haha. If we had one here in WA I'd expect to find dead deer and other animals stuck in it weekly

Anyway... recommended since it looks nice, takes little care, and can effectively barbed wire around the foundation of your home or along fences, etc.

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/roses/116/mermaid

My YouTube Channel
Old 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM

I keep visiting this thread waiting for OP to say the DB's were caught and property returned...
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

I cant wait for that moment either...
Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordres View Post
I keep visiting this thread waiting for OP to say the DB's were caught and property returned...
Me too.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Here is my setup and has worked so far, this might give you some idea for upgrades.

-Advanced Alarm system with sensor at every windows and door, shatter detector, motion sensors. (ADT basic package is weak)
-Surveillance system with night vision indoor and outdoor with online viewable on phone
-Every door hinge is reinforced, locks are bump key proof and two side key (lock cannot be unlocked either side without key)
-All doors are heavy duty solid wood with reinforced door frame with metal over wood.
-Garage door pull string release removed and any pins replaced with locks (so they can't break garage window and pull the rope to get in or pull the pins that release the door and linkage.

What I need

So far all my neighbors have been robbed at some point with some home invasion. Beef up security which is least attractive for criminals, they will go for the easier targets.

Very impressive setup. Sounds like it cost a fortune though
Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Sorry if i missed it if you wrote this earlier, but how did they get in? Did they fling something through the back patio door?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

What I need

Sounds like my setup...but i have pitbulls and a husky/akita that rotate between the house/yard/garage and I replaced my master bedroom door with a steel exterior door with deadbolt and reinforced frame and a peep sight.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

At least their goose is cooked when caught with the pictures you got it will be a slam dunk in court. Anyone who decides it's ok to steal something should have a special place reserved for them.

Hopefully with the info you do have they'll be picked up. Do you get to review mug shots etc? you wpuld think with those pics they could ID them fairly easily.

Vet since 1978

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
Sorry if i missed it if you wrote this earlier, but how did they get in? Did they fling something through the back patio door?
Pried a window and then opened the sliding door to let the other guy(s) in.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Everyone, put some bar or PVC cut to length if your windows slide up and down OR left and right.
that little latch lock isnt going to stop them.

Lesson learned.

Bolt down your safes. Alarm system, Dog(s)
Old 10-27-2012, 1:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I wouldn't get the media involved at all. They might well paint OP as an evil supplier of guns to criminals, and proof why nobody should be allowed to have guns no matter how good they are.
Old 10-27-2012, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
I wouldn't get the media involved at all. They might well paint OP as an evil supplier of guns to criminals, and proof why nobody should be allowed to have guns no matter how good they are.
I can see the media sadly saying something like that... more dangerous guns fall into the hands of criminals... our children will die, news at 11.... I keep coming back to this thread as well hoping to see these sorry souls paying for their crime.
Old 10-27-2012, 4:21 AM

what kind of camera system did you have? I got two pit bulls but still have been contemplating a camera system for a while.
Old 10-27-2012, 4:37 AM

Those cameras took good pics. Hope they get caught.
Old 10-27-2012, 5:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Qsee DVR with 4 cameras from Costco for 250$ has a 500gb HD which can last like 2 or 3 weeks of recording before recording over. Just mount it in higher hard to reach places.
Im going to mount the new one to look at the street.

well worth it.
Old 10-27-2012, 5:03 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I will contribute $50 towards a reward fund if you go that route or put up ads to get them caught.

Like others, I would love to learn more about the video set ups thanks for adding the details of the video setup above. What forums do we need to go to to read up on the best DIY setups?

Regarding handgun safes - Does anyone use a cable to semi-secure theirs? I have one for bedside and it is a heavy tank (good old handgunsafe.com/R&D Enterprises, I play with the idea of going after that market, I don't think anyone has filled it) but it can still be carried out. I'm not sure a cable to the bedframe would be much of an extra deterrent but if it would help at all maybe I should. If every incremental annoyance matters maybe I should.

As far as signalling like NRA stickers - I wonder if HAM related antennas signal "this house is owned by a white dude with guns"

Bike probably too big or obvious? I am guessing your ride is worth more than those pistols since you are into it enough to have a stand in the house.

I wonder if they went after the big safe before or after they found the body armor with mags, that's just speculative BS though.

O pos - Red cross have you on speed dial?

Last edited by rkt88edmo; 10-27-2012 at 5:06 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 5:30 AM
Calguns Addict

I appreciate that, I guess I could make a flier and post it around the neighborhood?
I didnt read on any forums. Just wanted to have a DVR system to keep on eye on the home, all my cameras were inside because i never got around to mounting 1 or 2 looking outside. I bought 2 actually, the Q-see 250$ and a lorex one. the Lorex was harder to use and the quality didnt seem as nice and was more expensive at 400$

I suggest mounting one looking at the street to see any cars/people.

If you have a small safe like a gunvault like I did, a cable would have slowed them down. I should have had one connected to the bed frame. that way they would have to had taken more time to try to cut the cable, anything to slow them down.

Were thinking about another rifle sized safe for the bedroom to hold not just guns but for passports, SSN card, valuables, for one its rated for fire and a lot harder to break into as you can see with my cannon safe.

NRA stickers wont help if they know you arent home.
It would actually let the criminals know you have guns so i think i rather not advertise that. I am asian, a prior service Marine and shoot guns, that wont mean anything to them.

The bike they saw and didnt look back, they supposedly were in a silver 4 door car with 4 guys so my bike and our 55 inch tv wont fit, plus that would be harder to sell.
I am a weekend cyclist, fun sport and for fitness.

They were after small things that can sell easily, cameras, small purses, laptops etc.
The other things like my guns, armor they might keep or might sell.

as for the blood type, its one of the patches on the plate carrier, theres also a IR flag on the back if these idiots were stupid enough to wear it and a IR cam chopper sees them haha easy target.

Moderators

would it be a good idea to have a thread page for stolen guns? BOLO, status etc.
Old 10-27-2012, 5:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
Pitbulls (even though that is not one) are horrible guard dogs, Besides mine that I have spent a lot of money training. Even then she still loves people. Sorry OP about everything. Maybe time to invest in a safe, dog, alarm?
Old 10-27-2012, 6:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
Just bolted it down its not budging.

thanks for the comments guys, i really hope they get caught. Soon as AAA insurance gets the itemized list of stuff they will be cutting me a check.
But there are still 2 guns out there, That may kill/harm a lot of people.
Old 10-27-2012, 6:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
But there are still 2 guns out there, That may kill/harm a lot of people.
Yes there is, in a gun vault the morning I last saw it.

That's why we as calguns members should be on the look out for each other as a community to report anything to police. It helps us all out because you never know like I didnt know they were going to rob my home, your home could be next. You never know.

We can only prepare and realize what we have to do these days to do our best to prevent this from happening.
Old 10-27-2012, 6:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes there is, in a gun vault the morning I last saw it.

That's why we as calguns members should be on the look out for each other as a community to report anything to police. It helps us all out because you never know like I didnt know they were going to rob my home, your home could be next. You never know.

We can only prepare and realize what we have to do these days to do our best to prevent this from happening.
I am not downing you at all. And honestly the guys who stole your guns look like just about every other person in east oakland. No I am not trying to be racist. But I am being serious. I also have taken steps to stop that from happening. Alarm, Cabinet bolted down hidden, dog etc. I have had guns stolen from me at my mothers house (stockton ewww) But I will pass on the pictures of the guys to my ex-coworkers who kick it with those types of people in that area and in oakland.
Old 10-27-2012, 6:17 AM
Calguns Addict

I appreciate it, most of us work hard for all the stuff we have. Its not racist if its a fact because I have proof as we can see, we know not all are like that though.

I also have a African American friend/coworker thats a cyclist, honest working man, he also worked as a correctional facility for 12 yrs and served in the army.
Old 10-27-2012, 6:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
I appreciate it, most of us work hard for all the stuff we have. Its not racist if its a fact because I have proof as we can see, we know not all are like that though.

I also have a African American friend/coworker thats a cyclist, honest working man, he also worked as a correctional facility for 12 yrs and served in the army.
I am black/white, And I will be the first one to say it. I am sorry for your loss I will be on the look out and spread the info. I know how it feels. Especially someone being in your house, It is very violating. I cant stand thiefs AT ALL. I have had 2 cars stolen/stripped to no repair in the last 2 years. Had my 1911 and shotgun stolen from my mothers house (I let her borrow it, Because she did not have a gun at the time) And I still have not recovered them.
Old 10-27-2012, 6:23 AM
Banned

But seriously. This should be a lesson to you. Beef up your security as much as your budget provides. You are lucky no one got harmed. I am glad it didnt happen that way.
Old 10-27-2012, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Qsee DVR with 4 cameras from Costco for 250$ has a 500gb HD which can last like 2 or 3 weeks of recording before recording over. Just mount it in higher hard to reach places.
Im going to mount the new one to look at the street.

well worth it.

Thank you I hope they catch them and retrieve your belongings.
Old 10-27-2012, 7:33 AM
Calguns Addict

If you look at the pics, these guys seem in their teens to early 20s.
It is an unfortunate lesson. Alarm being installed, been wanting a dog, had a dog before and were getting one now asap.

All ethnicity/color etc are capable of committing crimes I dont blame any one.

deterrence is the key.
Old 10-27-2012, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

I'd plaster their pictures all over town with a 250.00 reward for their verifiable info.

Old 10-27-2012, 9:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Everyone, put some bar or PVC cut to length if your windows slide up and down OR left and right.
that little latch lock isnt going to stop them.

Lesson learned.

Bolt down your safes. Alarm system, Dog(s)
Even better and more simple is a latch-pin that bolts to the frame, or a simple cotter pull-pin, that go through a hole that is drill completely through the window or sliding door frame at its strongest point; works better because then you can't maneuver or rock the window or sliding door out of it's frame (like on older windows) - they even make them with release levers and some that have key locks. Do the bar for now as it's an immediate fix, but the latch-pin or pull-pin is much more convenient to use in the long run.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

May I suggest another interesting idea?

After you bolt down your real safe, the big one (maybe in a room or closet where you can also lock the door)....

Get a couple of those inexpensive Honeywell duffle-bag sized or dorm-refrigerator sized safes from somewhere like Big Lots or Costco that go for about $60 ($39 on sale). Put them around in conspicuous locations - don't bother to bolt them down - and load them up with a couple of heavy rocks and some small rocks.

A thief won't try to open it during the burglary, but they'll imagine all kinds of goodies inside, especially if you put something like an NRA, H&K, Browning, or SIG SAUER sticker on the outside of it.

It will bog them down, be cumbersome especially at about 50 to 60 pounds each; so the two or three safes will likely be the only thing they try to snatch; with a couple around the house, each idiot will try to carry one of them, debilitating them from being able to carry much of anything else. Thinking they scored big, they will take those and those alone and not bother with wasting time trying to get into the big safes or trying to carry out what are perceived as less promising items.

The mini-safes would be heavy for them to carry, so it will likely be the only thing they steal. They'll hobble with it back to their car. They won't make multiple trips to and from the car as that would be too obvious; just the mini-safes thinking they scored big and "this is great, let's get out of here!".

Miles away, back at their rat-hole, they will finally manage to pry them open and find they are no better off than Charlie Brown on Halloween.

Considering the cost people spend on security and high-end technology to try to STOP a thief (often you don't stop them; you might not even slow them down) the cost and care to plant a couple of decoys likes this is peanuts, and likely to work better than most anything else. The mistake people often make about home security is not putting themselves into the position of being the thief; they only think in terms of what makes themselves "feel" secure, as opposed to role-playing and being creative enough to hypothesize how they might rob their own house. What would they take? What would they do?

And dogs are still one of the best deterrents you can have above anything else.

Last edited by The Gleam; 10-27-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Old 10-27-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordres View Post
+1 Me too
Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs down

OP, very sorry to hear about this.

Someone mentioned the idea of a billboard with their pictures all over it, but I think it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of probably 50k. Organizational funding for something like that should be in order.

A house on my street got hit very recently. In this case, the suspect used a spark plug to shatter the back sliding window and went in, helped himself to the kids' game boy(s), jewelry, some cash, and other small items. The incident happened at around 10:30am.

There were two BMAs riding bicycles the morning before casing the neighborhood, and I witnessed one of them point to my truck in drive-way and I heard him say "LET'S GET THAT TRUCK". The other pointed to the truck in the next drive-way and said "LET'S GET THAT ONE TOO".

I called the local LEA, and they came out, did some extra patrols and went back to their business as usual...

The next AM, they hit the house around half a block away.

My 2 biggest dislikes in the theft business is stealing guns and stealing from innocent children.

Your camera quality is awesome, and I have to say that I'm tempted to spend the money on the system you used. They have plenty of these systems on Amazon.

BTW, I've seen/heard discussions in the past regarding how "stand-your-ground" laws should be enhanced to give protection to anyone protecting property. One of the arguments I've seen used/heard before in that favor is that a person could steal guns from a residence and are very much likely to use them in a deadly crime, therefore, the person protecting the property with deadly force (if they're caught) is saving innocent lives.

Something like this would never come out of the CA Legislature unless we had a super-majority of no-compromise pro-2A lawmakers, and THAT won't happen because too many supporters of these thug types are voting.

Erik.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Sad, so sad, but the pictures will sure help!! They are probably in the system and someone will recognize the face. I use bulletproofme for my body armor as well.

To slow down the BG's, the room and closet with the safe/guns both have exterior door/home locks on them and the hinges and jams are reinforced (3-4" screws). I know they still can kick them in BUT it does slow them down, and maybe that is all you need.

Break in- alarm goes off, go to a locked bedroom door, damm, kick it in, go to closet, damm locked too, kick it in. Safe, bolted or chained to stud, damm again!! Better go!!

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 10-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
Break in- alarm goes off, go to a locked bedroom door, damm, kick it in, go to closet, damm locked too, kick it in. Safe, bolted or chained to stud, damm again!! Better go!!
Layers; just like the better way to stay warm on a cold day.