Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-24-2022, 12:45 PM

Default prices for pre-1899 double-actions in 2022

Lately I've been interested in top-break pre-1899 double action revolvers, specifically in 38 S&W caliber (the average prices for 44s are too costly for me for now). What can I expect for fair prices for these pieces? Some people on the net assert that the Iver Johnsons etc should be considerably less than the S&W Lemon Squeezers per se.

I'd want to actually use anything I buy at the range, so strict conversation pieces are out. That means I don't care if it is aesthetically challenged so long as it was still mechanically sound.
Old 09-27-2022, 9:20 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I just paid $75 all-in for this H&R Young America. And yes it will be getting some range time now that I have detail stripped, cleaned and inspected it. This one is chambered in .32 S&W but they did make them in .38 S&W.

Most of them are going to be rated for black powder cartridge loads so no matter what you will probably need to handload using BP or TrailBoss or light loads of Clays or perhaps Titegroup. I will be using Trailboss in this one.

I know this is not the top break or .38 but just to let you know what else you might keep an eye out for. Made sometime between 1888- 1897:

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-27-2022 at 9:24 AM..
Old 09-27-2022, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
I just paid $75 all-in for this H&R Young America. And yes it will be getting some range time now that I have detail stripped, cleaned and inspected it. This one is chambered in .32 S&W but they did make them in .38 S&W.

Most of them are going to be rated for black powder cartridge loads so no matter what you will probably need to handload using BP or TrailBoss or light loads of Clays or perhaps Titegroup. I will be using Trailboss in this one.

I know this is not the top break or .38 but just to let you know what else you might keep an eye out for. Made sometime between 1888- 1897:

Where can you buy something like that? Not finding anything online nearly as cheap...