Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-13-2018, 5:37 AM

Default .22 AR legal loophole?

Ok so I wanted to build an AR pistol but with the current assault weapon laws that's not really an option. I immediately thought of going the .22lr route because I know that .22 rifles are exempt from the features rules. Unfortunately pistols have no such luck. While I was reading through the laws, however, I found that (as far as I can tell) CA uses the ATF definition of pistol and rifle. So would it then be possible to build an 80% with an arm brace but build it longer than 26" OAL so that it isn't classified as a pistol but as a firearm. what would that mean for the assault weapon laws that specify rifle vs pistol?

just a weird gray area I ran into. some input would be nice. thanks!

Last edited by JLutz; 02-13-2018 at 5:40 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 6:16 AM
retired Goon

Under CA laws...

There is no such thing as an "other" firearm. If you are using the Federal definition/terminology of an "other" firearm to figure out CA laws/regulations, then stop.

CA uses it's own definitions that do not adhere to the Federal defintions.

A firearm with a less than 16" barrel length is a "handgun". [PC 16530(a) & 16640(a)]
^A "handgun" can also be classified as a SBR/SBS, if it also meets CA's definition of a SBR/SBS. [PC 16530(b) & 16640(b)]

A firearm that is not a "handgun", is a "long gun". [PC 16865]

A firearm with a rifled barrel and designed/redesigned & intended to be fired from the shoulder is a "rifle". [PC 17090]
^A "rifle" with a less than 16" barrel length or a less than 26" overall length is a SBR. [PC 17170(a) & (b)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-13-2018 at 6:22 AM..
Old 02-13-2018, 6:26 AM
retired Goon

Under Federal laws...
A firearm with a less than 16" rifled barrel and greater than 26" overall length and no shoulder stock is a Title 1 Other.

Under CA laws...
A firearm with a less than 16" rifled barrel and greater than 26" overall length and no shoulder stock installed is a "handgun".
^Since it is a "handgun"; it is subject to CA unsafe handgun laws, CA SBR/SBS laws, CA assault weapons laws for handguns, CA zip gun laws, and CA unconventional pistol laws.

Being chambered for a rimfire cartridge does not change it's classification.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-13-2018, 6:32 AM

well that sums that up. haha Thanks for the response.