Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-11-2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I don't understand why anyone has the hots for plinking with a 22 when you can go plinking on the cheap with a pellet gun.

You sound like a liberal that claims no one needs a gun.

Geeze!!... You folks get your knickers in a twist real easy don't ya... So some one voices an opinion... read:IMHO... and a few of you want to hit the mattress... I'm so far to the right from being a liberal it makes most of you look left handed... IMHO...
Old 08-13-2018, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Geeze!!... You folks get your knickers in a twist real easy don't ya... So some one voices an opinion... read:IMHO... and a few of you want to hit the mattress... I'm so far to the right from being a liberal it makes most of you look left handed... IMHO...
Well, I'm left-handed and lever guns are among the more ambidextrous-friendly firearms out there.

I've had four different pistol-caliber lever action rifles (oddly, no rifle-caliber ones, yet), and all of them looked very cool and had that air of "simplicity is beauty" in a practical, compact package that would make a solid defensive firearm.

I had a Win 94AE in .44mag, and three Rossi 92s - a 24" octagonal stainless, a 16" large loop, and a 20". All the Rossis were in .357.

The main problem with them is that they were not particularly reliable when cycling rounds, with the exception of the only one I've kept - the 20" Rossi. That one is an older one - it does have that much-hated bolt-mounted safety, but just looking at it and working the action, I can tell its fit and finish are far better than any of the other three levers I've owned.

And while I certainly like the rifle - it feels almost TOO slender in my hands (and I'm not a big guy) - almost like a .22 or a toy gun. Perhaps if it had a bit more meat in the grip and forearm, it would be more comfortable to my taste.
Old 08-13-2018, 6:46 AM

[QUOTE=23 Blast;21991816] The main problem with them is that they were not particularly reliable when cycling rounds, with the exception of the only one I've kept - the 20" Rossi. That one is an older one - it does have that much-hated bolt-mounted safety, but just looking at it and working the action, I can tell its fit and finish are far better than any of the other three levers I've owned.

And while I certainly like the rifle - it feels almost TOO slender in my hands (and I'm not a big guy) - almost like a .22 or a toy gun. Perhaps if it had a bit more meat in the grip and forearm, it would be more comfortable to my taste.[/QUote/]

I picked up my 454 Rossi from another CalGunner, and he had sent it back to Steve's Gunz in Texas for a tweek over, and some sight work. The thing is butter smooth and cycles without a hitch. And the XS sights are awesome. It'll cost a few, but well worth the bucks. I'm just happy I didn't have to shell out the $.....

https://stevesgunz.com/

https://www.xssights.com/
Old 08-14-2018, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Regarding the Rossi top safety. Steve's Guns (kiowa jones) makes a simple installed screw in replacement 'peep' sight. It's just a ring to see through on top a threaded rod with a lockring also on the threads. Not sure if new front sight is needed but I don't think so.
The guy also 'tunes' Rossi 92's.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-92-peep-sight
https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...uhbhciup1cf210

Red dot for Rossi

Last edited by Darto; 08-14-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Old 08-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darto View Post
Regarding the Rossi top safety. Steve's Guns (kiowa jones) makes a simple installed screw in replacement 'peep' sight. It's just a ring to see through on top a threaded rod with a lockring also on the threads. Not sure if new front sight is needed but I don't think so.
The guy also 'tunes' Rossi 92's.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-92-peep-sight

Red dot for Rossi
I

FWIW, I tried a couple black plastic plugs, I think a 1/4" plug was a little too small....but, I figured out, if your use the pin to hold it in place it will work very well. It's sure worth using the 20 cent plug over the one SG offers, if you don't mind the plastic. I found the plug at my local ACE hardware.

FWIW, I figured out this method after buying the SG plugs

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 08-14-2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Yeah, the Henry looks do throw me off.
Curious. What looks threw you off? I'm looking at one tomorrow, the brass receiver/octagon barrel[20"], no silly recoil pad. .357/.38. Hope I like it.
Old 08-15-2018, 3:13 PM

Well, I liked it enough to buy it. $600.00 OTD. When I pick it up that is. Hardly a mark on it. Was manuf. in Nov 2016 according to the folks at Henry. Bore looks excellent, fit and finish are superb. Innards, from what I can tell look like new.
Can't wait to get it out to the range. And now for a beer. Yeaa!
Old 08-15-2018, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Well, I liked it enough to buy it. $600.00 OTD. When I pick it up that is. Hardly a mark on it. Was manuf. in Nov 2016 according to the folks at Henry. Bore looks excellent, fit and finish are superb. Innards, from what I can tell look like new.
Can't wait to get it out to the range. And now for a beer. Yeaa!
Thats a good price I like the Henry guns, I also like the tube fed guns over the loading gate guns, they're easier on my fingers.

Rossi use to make their .454 R92 models using both gate fed and tube fed. I'd like to see more manufacturers go this route.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 08-15-2018, 3:34 PM
Veteran Member

I just had to go fancy and buy the Taurus clone of the Colt lightning. I actually lucked out, it runs 100% perfect, just can't handle real hot loads.
Old 08-15-2018, 6:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
I just had to go fancy and buy the Taurus clone of the Colt lightning. I actually lucked out, it runs 100% perfect, just can't handle real hot loads.
Any chance we can see a picture ? I'd love to get one of these, but as you know they don't have the best record. I've hoped that Henry would make them in 357..

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 08-15-2018, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

I’ll take one in a few minutes once I get my daughter to sleep! Love to show off a good pawnshop score.

Edit: it’s a 24” .45 colt. 15 in the tube plus 1. It has no sear disconnect so if you hold the trigger it fires upon closing the bolt. It’s not my favorite gun I own but for $285 it was well worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FDD8D9D8-32E2-4193-9502-82670DC41ABC.jpg (5.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by deadcoyote; 08-15-2018 at 6:58 PM..
Old 08-15-2018, 8:19 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Heck, I'd buy that for 285 and have all kinds of fun with it too!
Old 08-15-2018, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Heck, I'd buy that for 285 and have all kinds of fun with it too!
I agree, that gun looks like it would be fun, probably faster than a lever gun.
Thanks for sharing

Happiness is a warm gun