Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-19-2020, 7:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeBee49 View Post
I recently purchased a Springfield 1911 Loaded. The first thing I did was replace the two piece threaded guide rod with a standard one piece guide rod and standard spring cap. No hex key needed now.
Same here. That damn two piece rod comes loose while shooting.

Anyone try/buy the new Springfield Ronin Operator model? It got good reviews in the new American Rifleman mag.
Old 06-19-2020, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flentye View Post
Mine came with a GI guide rod and from what I understand, a full length is unnecessary are harder to disassemble/reassemble?
Any thoughts on Full length V. GI Guide rods?
I have read in different places that many people prefer the standard GI guide rod to the full length. My main reason for switching was to eliminate the hex key when breaking down and reassembling the gun. I had also read about the threaded rod sometimes loosening during shooting sessions so you always had to have the hex key with you at the range.
Old 06-19-2020, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post

Anyone try/buy the new Springfield Ronin Operator model? It got good reviews in the new American Rifleman mag.
We must have been typing at the same time.
Old 06-19-2020, 8:04 AM

Quote:

I honestly thing the Springfield Ronin and Range officers are a complete upgrade to the Loaded series at a lower cost. Newer guns, better tolerances. I could be wrong.
Old 06-19-2020, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I’m unfamiliar with that. I was watching a video and some kid was displaying an “Idiot scratch tool”...I looked it up and sure enough, still for sale for about $10. Its a piece of plastic to cover the area. Then I saw a cut playing card for sale...for $10. NO JOKE, this company blatantly says on the their website, ‘Pre-cut playing card to protect against idiot scratch, choose from 52 different card options’ $10. Lol, So I bought a deck from amazon for $3 and made my own. It worked because like you said, its not easy putting that slide release back in, I took my sweet time because this is the first expensive (to me) gun I have purchased. I purchased the 2nd expensive gun about 3 days later. Lol.

Hope this link works. The 1911forum guys are some great guys and a wealth of knowledge there.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214653

If you have a few small files, it should be easy enough to do. I did it on mine.

As far as the GI guide rod plug etc, I like that setup better. It’s a simpler design and makes breakdown easier. Also, the full length guide rod kept coming loose during a range session. Don’t necessarily like futzing around with the business end of a gun at the range either.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 06-27-2020, 12:56 PM

I just bought my first gun, a colt 1911 actually. I’m still in need of a gun case and would like some recommendations. I wanted to buy a colt gun case for it and I see that there is one with foam on the inside and another with a plastic cut out. I can post pictures if that would help. I’ve heard that foam can lock moisture in and rust the gun. Can someone please give me some recommendations??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:

I want the Ronin model so bad. Everything I want right out of the box and it looks great to boot.

Quote:
I have read in different places that many people prefer the standard GI guide rod to the full length. My main reason for switching was to eliminate the hex key when breaking down and reassembling the gun. I had also read about the threaded rod sometimes loosening during shooting sessions so you always had to have the hex key with you at the range.
I haven't experienced the loosening problem with my SA 1911 9mm target yet but I would prefer it if there was no hex key needed for takedown.

Which guide rod did you go with? I was looking at Wilson Combat parts.

Last edited by B2D; 06-29-2020 at 2:26 AM..
Old 06-27-2020, 9:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2D View Post
I want the Ronin model so bad. Everything I want right out of the box and it looks great to boot.

I haven't experienced the loosening problem with my SA 1911 9mm target 9yet0 but I would prefer it if there was no hex key needed for takedown.

I would also like a recommendation on which drop in guide rod to go with and links would be very helpful. Thank you
Old 06-27-2020, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2D View Post
I haven't experienced the loosening problem with my SA 1911 9mm target 9yet0 but I would prefer it if there was no hex key needed for takedown.
I don't remember why but I went with Brownells for the one piece guide rod and the spring plug. The standard set up is much easier for take down and reassembly and there's nothing to work loose.
Old 06-27-2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
I would also like a recommendation on which drop in guide rod to go with and links would be very helpful. Thank you
For guide rods:
https://www.brownells.com/aspx/searc...ubmit=y&f_a=25

For spring plugs:
https://www.brownells.com/search/ind...ubmit=y&f_a=13
Old 06-27-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samos View Post
I just bought my first gun, a colt 1911 actually. I’m still in need of a gun case and would like some recommendations. I wanted to buy a colt gun case for it and I see that there is one with foam on the inside and another with a plastic cut out. I can post pictures if that would help. I’ve heard that foam can lock moisture in and rust the gun. Can someone please give me some recommendations??

Gun cases and rust really depend a lot on your climate. If you are in california, a gun rusting on you might only occur if you handled it a lot with sweat, then left it for months/years.
I’m not sure if price is a factor but you can get a very nice case for around $75 with foam and a spot for a mag. Shoot I have extra hard cases I don’t really use. I recommend getting a safe (if you don’t already have one) over a case. If you search amazon, they have some decent locking hard cases with foam inserts. I understand you wanting a colt case tho. I think colt is the most classic firearm company. One thing people overlook when it comes to gun storage is wiping the guns down after handling them. Your oils and sweat can cause more damage to the finish than it sitting in a case. Best of luck, sorry I couldn’t be more specific.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97F1504RAD View Post
Guide rod length is like asking what’s better, 45ACP or 9mm. I like the GI guide rod because it’s easier to disassemble the gun. It was also designed this way and has yet to fail on me. You’ll find many prominent shooters installing GI guide rods on their $5000 race guns. You’ll also hear the Rock Island Guy Swear by needing a full length. I do think that most people will say GI length.

Here is a good example of the two. My Springfield Loaded Operator has a GI guide rod. Maybe because they were trying to win a bid with the Marine Corp. idk. But the TRP Operator, which is a better gun but very similar, has a full length. Both work well. Full length is just harder to take apart. So typically, those that don’t have their own answer to this, are the same ones that would benefit from a GI guide rod.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:39 PM

Get good magazines. So important and the one thing you shouldn't skimp on. Toss the factory SA mags. It's been a while since I was in the 1911 game but I only used Powermags with fresh springs or Cobra mags back then. And GI spring and plug all the way.
Old 06-28-2020, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianS View Post
Get good magazines. So important and the one thing you shouldn't skimp on. Toss the factory SA mags. It's been a while since I was in the 1911 game but I only used Powermags with fresh springs or Cobra mags back then. And GI spring and plug all the way.
I bought some MecGar and Wilson combat mags. Decent mags are hard to find right now. I was quite surprised Springfield would include mags that cheap. What would it cost them to include nicer mags? $5? However, I don’t really mind them, except the small dot/bump on the follower, what the heck is that? If I’m not paying attention the first round will catch on this and just not load without force.
Old 06-28-2020, 5:12 AM

I put this AR together well before I got the 1911. I like how they look together.
Old 06-28-2020, 5:18 AM

I've purchased several Wilson Combat magazines for my 1911s. I prefer magazines with anti tilt followers.
Old 06-28-2020, 5:27 AM

Quote:
I've purchased several Wilson Combat magazines for my 1911s. I prefer magazines with anti tilt followers.
Mine do not tilt, they are 10 rounders tho so maybe that’s why? IDK. What I really care about is finding an 8 round mag that will seat flush, without a gap between the mag and the gun. Trivial for sure, especially after shooting the gun, as it has ran flawlessly. When I shoot my carry guns they feel pretty good, but if I pick up my 1911 immediately after and shoot that, its like shooting a high powered luxury car. I love it.
Old 06-28-2020, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Mine do not tilt, they are 10 rounders tho so maybe that’s why? IDK. What I really care about is finding an 8 round mag that will seat flush, without a gap between the mag and the gun. Trivial for sure, especially after shooting the gun, as it has ran flawlessly. When I shoot my carry guns they feel pretty good, but if I pick up my 1911 immediately after and shoot that, its like shooting a high powered luxury car. I love it.
My 1911 magazines are all 7 or 8 rounds. The basic 1911 magazines do not have enough of a vertical leg on the front of the follower to keep it from tilting forward if it's not evenly depressed. It has no back or side legs at all. The custom magazines I've seen have full followers so they can't tilt inside the tube.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:57 AM

Quote:

I put this AR together well before I got the 1911. I like how they look together.

The colors look great! I have the same grips on my 1911 as well but I haven’t gotten to use it yet. How do you like it?

Old 06-29-2020, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Gun cases and rust really depend a lot on your climate. If you are in california, a gun rusting on you might only occur if you handled it a lot with sweat, then left it for months/years.
I’m not sure if price is a factor but you can get a very nice case for around $75 with foam and a spot for a mag. Shoot I have extra hard cases I don’t really use. I recommend getting a safe (if you don’t already have one) over a case. If you search amazon, they have some decent locking hard cases with foam inserts. I understand you wanting a colt case tho. I think colt is the most classic firearm company. One thing people overlook when it comes to gun storage is wiping the guns down after handling them. Your oils and sweat can cause more damage to the finish than it sitting in a case. Best of luck, sorry I couldn’t be more specific.

Thank you for the input! I don’t think a safe would work well for me since I move to different apartments each year. But maybe a locking gun case might be good? I’ll keep looking around to see what I find

Old 06-30-2020, 1:44 PM

Quote:
The colors look great! I have the same grips on my 1911 as well but I haven’t gotten to use it yet. How do you like it?

Having owned and shot many polymers guns prior to getting this 1911, I really have enjoyed this pistol. The pacmayr grips are awesome. They are a bit harder and more aggressive than I thought they’d be, but that is a good thing when shooting a lot. I like this 1911 so much that I’m trying to sell some polymer guns so I can get another 1911. Lol.
Old 06-30-2020, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the input! I don’t think a safe would work well for me since I move to different apartments each year. But maybe a locking gun case might be good? I’ll keep looking around to see what I find

Ah I see, well if you’re moving around a lot a small gun cabinet might be sufficient. For the same cost of nicer portable pistol cases you can get a gun cabinet that will bolt to the ground. If you never plan on going this route, a small locking portable pistol case would only really serve a purpose if you have children. You’d still need to hide the pistol case just like you would the pistol, in case someone broke in. As far as the rust goes, I watch Hickok45 on youtube a lot and he mentions that he uses Balistol to clean/lube/protect his guns. He’s had his guns for many many years with no rust. I imagine rust happens when a few conditions are met. First would be the climate, high humidity. I use a de-humidifier in my safe and so far, so good. The next condition would be the external elements effecting the gun. I like the gun sock because they slip over the gun and then can be placed anywhere, a case, a lock box, safe etc.

Last edited by Flentye; 06-30-2020 at 3:10 PM..
Old 06-30-2020, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

IMG_gold cup.jpgNo complaints with my Colts
Old 06-30-2020, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

IMG_delta.jpgThis one either
Old 06-30-2020, 2:11 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Shame on me for not currently owning a genuine Colt 1911, but these will do for now:

Here is the latest addition:

The Para was acquired new and I haven't gotten around to shooting it. All the other 1911's have seen at least a range visit or two. All have USGI Guide rods, either from the factory or aftermarket by me. I despise the FLGR and stupid hex screw that comes loose under recoil. These can all be field stripped without tools, although I use a bushing wrench anyway.
Old 06-30-2020, 2:14 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Actually, this was the last one, almost forgot.

Old 06-30-2020, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yea Bobby, I see you hate them as much as I do.. nice stable.
Old 06-30-2020, 3:07 PM

[QUOTE=Bobby Ricigliano;24470539]Actually, this was the last one, almost forgot.
You have some AWESOME pistols. Wow, I especially liked all of them.
Old 06-30-2020, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post
With your budget get the SA Loaded 9mm, then save up for a Baer in .45

You’re welcome
This is the route I took, in the opposite order though. Very pleased with both.

I had an RIA as well, but sold it. Great 1911 for the money.
Old 06-30-2020, 3:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Actually, this was the last one, almost forgot.
I have a railed in stainless. It's one of my favorite 1911s and IMO the best bang for the buck going. Stainless, railed, front strap checkering, sweet trigger, combat brick reliable. Where else ya gonna get that for <$1K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 07-01-2020, 4:35 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
Yea Bobby, I see you hate them as much as I do.. nice stable.
Thanks, yours as well!
Old 07-01-2020, 4:41 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
I have a railed in stainless. It's one of my favorite 1911s and IMO the best bang for the buck going. Stainless, railed, front strap checkering, sweet trigger, combat brick reliable. Where else ya gonna get that for <$1K?
I have to say that if I were to pick any 1911 for a carry gun, it would be the black Sig. All of the above you mention is true.
Old 07-01-2020, 4:45 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianS View Post
I consider the factory spare mags, holster, and mag carrier from Springfield no more than swag. On the other hand, the Sig Tac Ops came with 4 Wilson Combat magazines.
Old 07-01-2020, 5:33 AM

Quote:
I have to say that if I were to pick any 1911 for a carry gun, it would be the black Sig. All of the above you mention is true.
I don't carry but if I did and considered a 1911 my Kimber Ultra Carry II in 45 ACP would be a possibility. I would first put a few hundred rounds of hollow points through it at the range since I've heard that some small frame 1911s have functioning issues.
Old 07-01-2020, 8:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Springer TRP is pretty good.

Has anyone replaced their mil spec trigger with the longer version used in most other 1911's? I find that shorter mil-spec trigger to not quite fit my grip as well as the non-mil spec versions.

Who makes a decent long throw replacement?
Old 07-01-2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Incredible collection. The black Sig and the black SA -- which specific models are they?
Old 07-01-2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
The railed stainless sig was almost the one I bought. I’m thinking of getting that pretty soon, once my 1 in 30’s catch up. The only thing that kept me from buying it was finding the springer mc. The Dan Wesson PM7 didn’t wow me like the sig did when I held it at the gun shop.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
The Springer TRP is pretty good.

Has anyone replaced their mil spec trigger with the longer version used in most other 1911's? I find that shorter mil-spec trigger to not quite fit my grip as well as the non-mil spec versions.

Who makes a decent long throw replacement?
I know wilson makes a lot of great after market parts for fair pricing.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The Dan Wesson PM7 didn’t wow me like the sig did when I held it at the gun shop.
I don't know if they do anything different with the railed models but my friend's railed trigger was "Wow!" So is the one I bought. Noticeably better than the Stainless Target I also bought. I would say my railed SIG's trigger is equal to any of my Dan Wessons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnguuyen View Post
3 pages and no one mentioned the Norinco 1911A1. The Norinco is a sleeper and appropriate reminder of this stupid pandemic.
Ick, do not buy Chinese products!