Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-24-2020, 7:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwaiz View Post
Thanks. When I moved to Torrance, they were discretely issuing then we got a new chief and she is not. I feel I do have GC that meets light red and may even skirt dark red. I was mainly wondering if I can bypass Torrance and apply with LASD instead.
Last I heard, yes. But that was from before AV. Nowadays it's legal for a sheriff to say they'll not issue to a city's residents, only their PD will.

But why would you not try TPD first? That gives you "two bites at the apple," two chances to be approved.

But then if it's as you say, your chief is not issuing, this is moot. You can only apply with LASD.

240+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 06-24-2020, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Yeah, you sound like you've got a solid chance if AV's taken it to Light Red. Will your boss say they'd approve of you carrying on the job?

Let me know how it goes.

I don't focus on, thus know, details like that.

Yea, my boss is pro 2a and since he lives in OC he has his CCW.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell on a BBC broadcast, April 4, 1942

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." ---Wyatt Earp
Old 06-25-2020, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like the Sheriffs Dept is getting a $160mil budget cut.
In Los Angeles Countys first proposed budget reflecting the pandemic-related economic slowdown, officials announced Thursday that public safety will bear the brunt of an overall 8% cut in spending, with the Sheriffs Department eyed for more than 400 layoffs and $162 million trimmed from its $3.3-billion budget.
Can they really keep saying, "you don't need a gun, just dial 911", at a time when police budgets are being slashed? You call 911 and say "someone is following me and getting closer" and they will refer you to a social services number which will come out the next day and offer support to the marginalized community.

Of course CCW issuance in LA is about power, not logic or rights, so... this might not matter.
"..itd get hot, and I got a lot, I got hairy legs, that turned, that turned, um, blond in the sun. And the kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down, so it was straight, then watch the hair come back up again. Theyd look at it. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap... And Ive loved kids jumping on my lap.

"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.

- Joe Biden, Democratic nominee for president
Old 06-25-2020, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWFacts View Post
Looks like the Sheriffs Dept is getting a $160mil budget cut.
In Los Angeles County’s first proposed budget reflecting the pandemic-related economic slowdown, officials announced Thursday that public safety will bear the brunt of an overall 8% cut in spending, with the Sheriff’s Department eyed for more than 400 layoffs and $162 million trimmed from its $3.3-billion budget.
Can they really keep saying, "you don't need a gun, just dial 911", at a time when police budgets are being slashed? You call 911 and say "someone is following me and getting closer" and they will refer you to a social services number which will come out the next day and offer support to the marginalized community.

Of course CCW issuance in LA is about power, not logic or rights, so... this might not matter.
Will the sheriff really devote more staff to processing CCW apps when his budget is getting whacked and he's got layoffs?

Last edited by Paladin; 06-25-2020 at 9:27 PM..
Old 06-25-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Will the sheriff really devote more staff to processing CCW apps when his budget is getting whacked and he's got layoffs?

He didnt do it when he had the budget, why would he do it when he doesnt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2020, 4:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No, he will not.That is why this entire discussion of CCW issuance by the LASD is ridiculous. YOU WILL NOT GET A CCW ISSUED TO YOU IN L.A. COUNTY. PERIOD!!!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 06-26-2020, 6:07 AM

Quote:
If you had a failing retail store and the opportunity to sell a $10 product for $300 would it help your bottom line?
The Sheriff COULD view LTCs as a cash cow to help make up for the county budget cuts. (but Id bet Ill be living in another state before LA residents get ccws)
Old 06-26-2020, 10:00 AM

Anyone remember OC Sheriff Carona? Needed cash for campaign and other "expenses".

Sheriff Villanueva closed guns stores as non-essential (he made statements that he didn't believe non-LE/security needed anything during a crisis--because it would lead to more calls for service due to domestic incidents)and been in a deep beef with the supervisors who are chipping away at whether or not the sheriff has authority over this or that (state level proposed changes to make the office subjugated to county supervisors instead of elected office). They recently changed County charter to take away command from him when the county declares a state of emergency. DA not backing him on the closures.

This is an embroiled political mess and if anything, looks like he needs $ war chest to keep going. Its not always about what's officially on the books.

This is just solely my opinion based on observation and past experience.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

So, do I leave sections 6, 7 snd 8 blank completely? Fill it in later under the supervision of LEO?

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 06-26-2020, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewcmr2 View Post
If you had a failing retail store and the opportunity to sell a $10 product for $300 would it help your bottom line?
The Sheriff COULD view LTCs as a cash cow to help make up for the county budget cuts. (but Id bet Ill be living in another state before LA residents get ccws)
They would if they (legally) could. But they can't, so they ain't. Hit this link for details:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
FIFY:

Old 06-26-2020, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
No, he will not.That is why this entire discussion of CCW issuance by the LASD is ridiculous. YOU WILL NOT GET A CCW ISSUED TO YOU IN L.A. COUNTY. PERIOD!!!
The EXISTENCE of this thread is a parody. There is no thinking involved in wishing and hoping for a CCW in the City of Los Angeles.

Either one must be naive or live in fantasy and dreamy fiction.

You might as well expect that the City is going to disregard the National Firearms Act and issue you a suppressor alongside your CCW.
Old 06-27-2020, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecklerNKoch View Post

You might as well expect that the City is going to disregard the National Firearms Act and issue you a suppressor alongside your CCW.
Well, that would be awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2020, 5:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecklerNKoch View Post
The EXISTENCE of this thread is a parody. There is no thinking involved in wishing and hoping for a CCW in the City of Los Angeles.

Either one must be naive or live in fantasy and dreamy fiction.

Thank you!

Old 06-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Just a FYI. The deputy at the Santa Clarita station desk did not seem to know where to send the application to.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My question is a simple one, but I still have no answer for it. What is Alex The Weasel trying to gain with peddling this obvious crap? It's certainly not that he gives a damn about our 2A. What is his angle? County supervisors vs The Weasel power struggle?

"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: always cheat and always win."

"Don't shoot fast, shoot good."

-- Clint Smith
Old 06-27-2020, 12:46 PM

Sheriff Villanueva claims to plan issuing 400% more ccw permits and that staff has been hired to process those permits. Yeah right! The blogger said it perfect....400% of ZERO is still ZERO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Z_7FGLgLY
Old 06-29-2020, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I like the idea, and have it half filled out again. Bought a G36 and holster way back when I thought this might happen before...
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 06-29-2020, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
I like the idea, and have it half filled out again. Bought a G36 and holster way back when I thought this might happen before...
What matters most is your Good Cause. Read through at least the first 3 posts at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924 and post #31. If you have Light Red level of GC and can prove it, go for it. No guarantees, of course. IIRC, it only costs $10 to get a GC decision.

Old 06-29-2020, 6:45 PM

Quote:
What matters most is your Good Cause. Read through at least the first 3 posts at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924 and post #31. If you have Light Red level of GC and can prove it, go for it. No guarantees, of course. IIRC, it only costs $10 to get a GC decision.

I believe my GC is most definitely light red. I started filling out the forms but noticed a lot of the forms require you to fill them out in the presence of an officer/official. Including the GC section.

Is that how its done or should the whole form be filled out so that they can assess the GC before moving forward (or not)

Thank you Mr Paladin.

Old 06-30-2020, 5:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What actually matters most is the fact that LASD will not issue to regular people. I am waiting to eat that crow as it simply won't happen!
Old 06-30-2020, 6:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo818 View Post
I believe my GC is most definitely light red. I started filling out the forms but noticed a lot of the forms require you to fill them out in the presence of an officer/official. Including the GC section.

Is that how it’s done or should the whole form be filled out so that they can assess the GC before moving forward (or not)

Thank you Mr Paladin.
Since I've never applied with LASD (I'm in the SFBA), I've asked a CGNer who has to answer your Q.

Last edited by Paladin; 06-30-2020 at 6:56 AM..
Old 06-30-2020, 6:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
What actually matters most is the fact that LASD will not issue to regular people. I am waiting to eat that crow as it simply won't happen!

It's pretty sad you're using the Duke's image while doing nothing but naysaying and acting like a little yapping dog on the side of the road. I'd think, at the very least, you'd have something, anything, better to do than spend your time & effort doing that. But I guess not....

Old 06-30-2020, 10:27 AM
Head Janitor

So assuming Sheriff AV actually does come through with more permits and assuming I decide to apply does L.A. County have limitations on the firearms you put on your permit?

Specifically does it have to be stock or can you have a modded frame or conversion barrel in a gun listed on a CCW?
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
So assuming Sheriff AV actually does come through with more permits and assuming I decide to apply does L.A. County have limitations on the firearms you put on your permit?

Specifically does it have to be stock or can you have a modded frame or conversion barrel in a gun listed on a CCW?
I asked a CGNer who has experience w/LASD under AV to answer you.

Main thing is to make sure you've got Dark Red or Light Red GC. See post #31 at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

Old 06-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo818 View Post

Is that how it’s done or should the whole form be filled out so that they can assess the GC before moving forward (or not)
That's not accurate. Fill in everything, including the GC section AND any supporting GC documents, and mail it in with a $10 check. They will decide based on that. I think there's a signature section that must be signed during the interview, but I think you should sign it before you mail it in, and you can sign it again during the interview if you need to. I know, it's confusing and unclear.

Quote:
Their policy says nothing about that, but... remember, it's their discretion, and everything about how they perceive you will matter. You want to look like a very reasonable, normal person. My personal opinion is that the fewer modifications the better, and it should be a gun that's well suited for this purpose. A highly modified competition gun or a S&W 460 makes no sense for CCW. A plain vanilla Glock 19 does. If you were them, how would those decisions look to you? If I were them and someone came in with this:

I would think, "seriously, what's this guy's mindset? why does he want to do this?"

BTW the form doesn't ask anywhere if the gun is modified, it only asks for make, model, serial number and caliber, so your mods (other than caliber swaps) won't show up, but ... think about how things are going to be perceived and realize that, unfortunately, they can say no for any reason or no reason.

None of this would matter if we were shall-issue, but we are not.
"..itd get hot, and I got a lot, I got hairy legs, that turned, that turned, um, blond in the sun. And the kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down, so it was straight, then watch the hair come back up again. Theyd look at it. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap... And Ive loved kids jumping on my lap.

Last edited by CCWFacts; 06-30-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Old 06-30-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
That's not accurate. Fill in everything, including the GC section AND any supporting GC documents, and mail it in with a $10 check. They will decide based on that. I think there's a signature section that must be signed during the interview, but I think you should sign it before you mail it in, and you can sign it again during the interview if you need to. I know, it's confusing and unclear.

Their policy says nothing about that, but... remember, it's their discretion, and everything about how they perceive you will matter. You want to look like a very reasonable, normal person. My personal opinion is that the fewer modifications the better, and it should be a gun that's well suited for this purpose. A highly modified competition gun or a S&W 460 makes no sense for CCW. A plain vanilla Glock 19 does. If you were them, how would those decisions look to you? If I were them and someone came in with this:

I would think, "seriously, what's this guy's mindset? why does he want to do this?"

BTW the form doesn't ask anywhere if the gun is modified, it only asks for make, model, serial number and caliber, so your mods (other than caliber swaps) won't show up, but ... think about how things are going to be perceived and realize that, unfortunately, they can say no for any reason or no reason.

None of this would matter if we were shall-issue, but we are not.

Thank you, that makes sense re:the application

Old 06-30-2020, 1:01 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:

BTW the form doesn't ask anywhere if the gun is modified, it only asks for make, model, serial number and caliber, so your mods (other than caliber swaps) won't show up,
And there in lies my concern.

I won a S&W Shield in .40 S&W a few years ago and not having any real use for .40 cal I swapped out the LCI so I could use a drop in 9mm conversion barrel.

It say .40S&W on it's birth certificate but it's a post-op 9mm and I'm wondering if that would prevent listing it on a CCW.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 06-30-2020, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And there in lies my concern.

I won a S&W Shield in .40 S&W a few years ago and not having any real use for .40 cal I swapped out the LCI so I could use a drop in 9mm conversion barrel.

It say .40S&W on it's birth certificate but it's a post-op 9mm and I'm wondering if that would prevent listing it on a CCW.
It shouldn't have any impact, although it doesn't exactly fit the paperwork. If I were in that situation, my #1 choice would be to restore it to factory condition and carry it that way, or use some other gun that's in a factory configuration. My #2 choice would be to put on the form, where it says caliber, "40 / 9mm" and verbally explain it if anyone asks. This isn't a bad change because it's not like you're putting on a 3lbs trigger or disabling some safety feature or something else that's imprudent and unreasonable on a carry gun.

I don't think any of this will matter. I think the worst thing would be putting down guns that are obviously unsuited to CCW, like a S&W 500, or an AR15 pistol (if someone has one that is legally configured), or just something totally weird.

Edit: I just noticed, you removed the LCI, which is a safety feature. Ehh... I mean, it doesn't say anything about that on the form, and will anyone notice it through this entire process? Will they ask at any point, "is your gun modified"? Seems unlikely to matter, but in this situation, I would want to do EVERYTHING I could to maximize my chance of success, so I would restore the gun to factory configuration or choose another gun. You could also put it on your app in 40 cal, and then do an amendment later when you swap back the barrel. I would make the app as "vanilla" as possible to maximize chances, because who knows if they're going to issue anything at all and better to not give them anything to even bring up any questions.

I'd hate to see you (or anyone) posting back in this forum 5 months from now, "they approved my GC, I took the training, and when they finally did the inspection they noticed the LCI was gone so they didn't issue it and wouldn't let me re-apply because they said I disabled a safety featue!" Seems very unlikely, but why take any risk at all in this situation?

Last edited by CCWFacts; 06-30-2020 at 1:24 PM..
Old 06-30-2020, 1:14 PM
Head Janitor

You mean I can't (shouldn't) carry my triple barrel Howdah in a Thunderwear holster??
In that case just forget the whole thing...

Thanks for the input and help!
Old 06-30-2020, 1:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

It's pretty sad you're using the Duke's image while doing nothing but naysaying and acting like a little yapping dog on the side of the road. I'd think, at the very least, you'd have something, anything, better to do than spend your time & effort doing that. But I guess not....
I'm just being honest and realistic. It won't happen!
Old 07-01-2020, 4:08 PM

Pre-McDonnell there were essentially zero restrictions once you had your license. I had quite a few items on my permit including a pre-91 private transfer Walther PPK (aka no DROS) and quite a few SSE1.0. I think the only On Roster item was a Gen 3 G19.
Old 07-01-2020, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Pre-McDonnell there were essentially zero restrictions once you had your license. I had quite a few items on my permit including a pre-91 private transfer Walther PPK (aka no DROS) and quite a few SSE1.0. I think the only On Roster item was a Gen 3 G19.
So, you had a LASD CCW?

Do you still?

Can you share a rough idea of what your GC was/is? (But not so much detail so as to ID yourself.)

Old 07-01-2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
You mean I can't (shouldn't) carry my triple barrel Howdah in a Thunderwear holster??
In that case just forget the whole thing...

Thanks for the input and help!
You could also get around that issue by reregister with CA DOJ by mail for $19. and just send them note that you are anal about your guns registration accuracy and it's present iteration is 9mm. Of cource you would do this previous to applying for LA ccw.

Last edited by marcusrn; 07-01-2020 at 6:44 PM..
Old 07-02-2020, 8:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The application states to leave sections 6,7 and 8 alone. You are stating too fill them? I know Ca makes things more difficult but this really has me confused.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 07-02-2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
So, you had a LASD CCW?

Do you still?

Can you share a rough idea of what your GC was/is? (But not so much detail so as to ID yourself.)
I almost didn't post because you ask the exact same questions whenever I do...

Yes, no, still no. Part of my GC under both Block and Baca was in reference to being a former LEO. I suspect that was always the ultimate 'qualifier' McDonnell chose not to let me renew and AV denied my application for lack of GC.
Old 07-02-2020, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I almost didn't post because you ask the exact same questions whenever I do...

Sorry. I don't keep notes on people (part laziness, part OpSec), I delete PMs, and I communicate with many people in many different counties. Bottom line: a week later and I've forgotten all about you!

Quote:
Yes, no, still no. Part of my GC under both Block and Baca was in reference to being a former LEO. I suspect that was always the ultimate 'qualifier' McDonnell chose not to let me renew and AV denied my application for lack of GC.
So, you going to try again w/AV now that's he's claiming he'll issue more?

Old 07-02-2020, 6:55 PM
Head Janitor

CRPA Has released an LA County CCW Application Guide due to AV's statements about loosening CCW restrictions.

https://crpa.org/news/blogs/los-ange...ication-guide/

One part does raise a question however, does this mean we all have to apply to LAPD first if we live in LA City?

Quote:
As a threshold matter, LASDs policy requires residents of an incorporated city with its own police
department to first apply for a CCW through their local police department. Only after a denial of a CCW
application by the local police department may the person then file a separate application with LASD.6
Individuals should note that many incorporated cities in the County of Los Angeles are managed by the Los
Angeles Police Department (LAPD).7 This means residents of such cities, as well as any other city with its
own department, will first need to apply for a CCW with their respective police department.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
CRPA Has released an LA County CCW Application Guide due to AV's statements about loosening CCW restrictions.

One part does raise a question however, does this mean we all have to apply to LAPD first if we live in LA City?
Lucky you, you get "two bites at the apple" (2 chances to be either issued or denied).

Assuming they're correct about what they posted (you can go thru LASD's original CCW policy documents yourself at: https://lasd.org/ccw_info.html), not only do all residents of The City of Los Angeles have to apply first with LAPD, but also all residents of other LA County cities that have contracted with LAPD for police services. (FWIW, I've heard of cities contracting with their own county SO's for police services before, but this is the first I've heard of one city contracting with another city for police services. I assume both cities would have to be in the same county, but that's just my assumption. Welcome to CA where anything goes.)

Going by post #31 (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1482924), what "color" of GC do you think you have?

Last edited by Paladin; 07-03-2020 at 7:41 AM..
Old 07-03-2020, 8:04 AM

Don't be a sucker. LASD is simply looking for alternative income right now. There is no way a regular citizen will meet their definition of "good cause":
Convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life or of great bodily harm to the applicant, his
spouse or dependent child, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources
and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be
significantly mitigated by the applicant’s carrying of a concealed firearm.
It has to be drastically relaxed first and I don't see this happening under Alex Villanueva for political reasons. Plus, this guy is an elitist. He truly believes that carrying a firearm is a LEO's privilege.

Last edited by demisx; 07-03-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Old 07-03-2020, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demisx View Post
Don't be a sucker. LASD is simply looking for alternative income right now.

Quote:
CA PEN 26190. (a) (1) An applicant for a new license or for the renewal of a license shall pay at the time of filing the application a fee determined by the Department of Justice. The fee shall not exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice for the direct costs of furnishing the report required by Section 26185. (DOJ Fees)
(2) After the department establishes fees sufficient to reimburse the department for processing costs, fees charged shall increase at a rate not to exceed the legislatively approved annual cost-of-living adjustments for the department’s budget.[...]
(b) (1) The licensing authority of any city, city and county, or county shall charge an additional fee in an amount equal to the reasonable costs for processing the application for a new license, issuing the license, and enforcing the license, including any required notices, excluding fingerprint and training costs, and shall transmit the additional fee, if any, to the city, city and county, or county treasury.
From: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=26190