Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 06-30-2020, 5:18 AM

Default For you hunters going to SW MT

Talked to a friend there in SW MT yesterday and so far this year there have been no less than 7 Grizzly bear attacks on people. The one that's most interesting is the one to a F&W biologist who's "pepper spray" didn't work on. More and more bears=more and more attacks, depend on the bear spray at your own risk. I have hunted and fished in and along the creeks and rivers since the 70's and know many native born in Montana that like me will not do that anymore. To dangerous now even with a cover person. This doesn't make me very comfortable in the trees either.
regards
elk hunter
Old 06-30-2020, 6:39 AM
CGSSA Associate

I will never use hot sauce on a bear unless that's all I've got.

Momma bear with Cubs or you wake up and angry boar not much you can do but climb a tree.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:59 PM

Ain't many trees out in the willows or sage brush, it's a fight situation. Seasoning is not my idea of a good defense. I like using hot sauce on bear meat while it's cooking over a open fire, yummy. I thought it sort of ironic that a bear hugging ologist got beat up by the bear, good for the bear. did ya see where some dipstick got mashed and had some holes poked in her up the Yellowstone by a buffalo? I think she's a Calif. girl. Chasing a buffalo ain't the smart thing to do for a close up picture.
Old 06-30-2020, 1:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

USMC is going there I will lend him my SW model 29 with Joel penny 265's designed for bear protection. Goes thru all known body armor.
Old 06-30-2020, 6:10 PM

You don't happen to know where he's going to be hunting do you? the 29 is nice but if you can teach him what to stay out of or in would be better. the Centennial Valley, Gravelly s are bad this year the Ruby's have some bears in it as do the Pioneers both east and west not to mention other places that they have moved into. They are repopulating and on the move.
Old 06-30-2020, 6:38 PM

You have to use de escalation techniques with big bears.
First calmly ask the bear how he/she is feeling today.
Acknowledge his/her feelings.
Calmly let the bear know that everything is OK and you are willing to help solve any concerns he/she might have.

Pepper Spray might be viewed as an aggression towards the bear and avoided to help overcome past discrimination against bears.

Always remember RULE #1 - The BEARS life matters, your life doesn’t.
Old 06-30-2020, 7:10 PM

I hunt with my youngest brother in the Tobacco Roots out of Twin Bridges each year and are aware of the grizz population increase, hell the black bear numbers have exploded.
Old 06-30-2020, 8:02 PM

I'll be in red lodge in 2 days my buddy says griz have been killing foals on the ranch and to bring my 300 . Might be time for some revenge