Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-30-2020, 1:08 PM

Default 7mm-270wsm"

I was watching some F class shooting from the European championship and most of the shooters(on this particular show) are using this round.

isn't there a 7wsm

what do they gain from necking up a 270?

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
Old 06-30-2020, 1:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Euros are weird?

In news that annoys me, the local big city gs has Tikka CTR's on sale in .260 for $649.
Old 06-30-2020, 2:16 PM

The rational is 7wsm brass can be hard to find, especially the decent stuff, at least it was when I bought the reamer years ago. It has a little more case capacity than the 7 rsaum. That may or may not be a good thing for the F Class guys.

Hunters keep the demand for 270wsm brass high enough that Norma makes it. It's also frequently on sale.

Necking the brass up from 0.277" to 0.284" isn't much of a wildcat. I use a 7wsm seater with a shortened 7wsm one piece sizer, or a 270wsm bushing sizer. You can also neck 300wsm brass down to produce the same case.

The 7wsm has the shoulder bumped about 0.040" longer than the 270 or 300wsm to prevent chambering in them. The 7/270 or 7/300 is down a few grains of water in case capacity to the straight 7wsm. QL says it costs 15-20 fps for bullets seated to the same length.

For the last few years, it's been my favorite ELR practice round. I shoot the 180 ELDm at 3050 fps from a 32" barrel. I'm rebarreling a Ruger American 300wm to 7/270wsm to reduce recoil and get around a magazine length restriction.
Old 06-30-2020, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Those short magnums were introduced too early, before the longrange craze.
Old 06-30-2020, 3:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The 7mm WSM had a really short neck and a lot of long range shooters didn't like it so they would neck down the 300 WSM or neck up the 270 WSM instead.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF